You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Royal Guard Info
posted 12-10-05 04:41 PM EDT (US)   
It seems that the Strategy guide list does not have the Royal Guard Info, so i thought i'd post it.

British: Live Guard Hussars and Redcoats (musketeers)

Dutch: Carabineers (Ruyters) and Nassaus Linear Tactics (skirmishers)

French: Gendarmes(Cuirassiers) and Voltigeurs(skirmishers)

German: Czapka Uhlans and Prussian Needle Guns (skirmishers)

Ottoman: Baratcu Corp (Grenediers) and Gardeners(Hussars)

Portugese: Guerreiros (musketeers) and Jinetes (Dragoons)

Russian: Pavlov Grenediers and Tartar Loyalists (cavalry Archers)

Spanish: Espandachines (Rodeleros) Garrochistas ( Lancers) and Tercios (Pikemen)

I am not sure of the actual stats of the upgrades, but i'd assume they are all the same.

Replies:
posted 12-10-05 04:46 PM EDT (US)     1 / 17  
Nice work!
posted 12-10-05 04:55 PM EDT (US)     2 / 17  
Nice, but some corrections:

Life Guard Hussars
Nassau Halberdiers
Espada Rodeleros

I wonder why the hell the Ottoman RG Hussar is called a Gardener... should have called it a Timariot.

All Hail Giant Squid World Domination
posted 12-10-05 05:02 PM EDT (US)     3 / 17  
Where di you get that info? just curious.....
posted 12-10-05 10:54 PM EDT (US)     4 / 17  
Royal Guard are 10% better than the upgrade to Guard (ie: 40% hp/attack instead of 30%)

and thanks for posting their name. the first time i saw Garrochistas, i was wondering what they were.

posted 12-11-05 00:51 AM EDT (US)     5 / 17  
Robokku, you're wrong actually. Royal Guard Upgrades work like this:
RG Upgrade adds 40% to HP and Attack
RG Upgrades also count as normal Guard upgrades, so adding another 30% to HP and Attack.
So technically, Royal Guard troops aren't 10% better, they're 40% better. Very useful.

"I found no one ripe for many of my thoughts; the case of 'Zarathustra' proves that one can speak with the
utmost clearness, and yet not be heard by any one." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
"The fearless are merely fearless. People who act in spite of their fear are truly brave."
Oprichniks are the best units in AoE3. Why? It's elementary, they're Horse-riding Russian Pirates, nothing beats Horse-riding Russian Pirates.
posted 12-11-05 01:48 AM EDT (US)     6 / 17  
"RG Upgrade adds 40% to HP and Attack
RG Upgrades also count as normal Guard upgrades, so adding another 30% to HP and Attack.
So technically, Royal Guard troops aren't 10% better, they're 40% better. Very useful."

They are 10% better than their gaurd counterparts (example: Guerreiros are 10% better than guard musketeer). I don't know if its worth it to buy royal guard upgrades tho. normal gaurd upgrade costs 600 wood and 600 gold, royal guard costs 1000 wood and 1000 gold (40% more cost for 10% better attack/hp).

He who seeks power finds his power wrought from the loss of others.
posted 12-11-05 02:03 AM EDT (US)     7 / 17  
Unless it works like Insane Sheep says it does...

There needs to be a good guide to techs.

I am herpes.

Pyro Icon
posted 12-11-05 03:14 AM EDT (US)     8 / 17  
Insane sheep is right

A normal Guard upgrade gives 30% increase (to HP/Attack)
A Royal Guard upgrade gives you:

• A Guard upgrade (+30%)
    AND
  • A Royal upgrade (+40% (toHP/Attack)

So, a royal guard upgrade makes your troops 70% better (30% + 40%).
    So, they are DEFINATLY worth it. Very useful.

• posted 12-11-05 05:10 AM EDT (US)     9 / 17  
    No,royal guard only 40% better than veteran(while guard 30% better).A French Voltigeur has 192 hp without extra card/arsenal upgrades,and a normal guard skimisher has 180,adding 10% of skimisher's base HP which is 120,you can check that out...

[This message has been edited by Plebus (edited 12-11-2005 @ 05:14 AM).]

posted 12-11-05 04:20 PM EDT (US)     10 / 17  
    That isn't true, if you watch closely when you get a Royal Guard Upgrade it will say (using Ruyters as an example):
    Guard Ruyter Upgrade Complete
    Carbineer Ruyter Upgrade Complete

It should count both.

Also note that the cost is 40% lower for Guard than RG, the bonus should then logically be 40% lower.

"I found no one ripe for many of my thoughts; the case of 'Zarathustra' proves that one can speak with the
    utmost clearness, and yet not be heard by any one." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
    "The fearless are merely fearless. People who act in spite of their fear are truly brave."
    Oprichniks are the best units in AoE3. Why? It's elementary, they're Horse-riding Russian Pirates, nothing beats Horse-riding Russian Pirates.
    posted 12-11-05 05:53 PM EDT (US)     11 / 17  
    @Insane sheep,if what your said is true,than civs with royal guard will be severly overchanged when upgrading to Emperial units : 1500G/W,the same price,but an Empirial Voltigeur is 252hp without extra upgrades(a fully upgraded French skirmisher will have 288 HP,German Empirial Needler 264,Dutch 276,Spanish 252..if you are still not convinced,check it out yourself...),means 110% better than skirmisher,or 50% better than guard/royal guard(so the price is fare)...though I have to say the extra 400W/G for that 10% is well worth it,as arsenal upgrades which approximately half that much only gives 10% HP not attack.

[This message has been edited by Plebus (edited 12-11-2005 @ 05:57 PM).]

posted 12-11-05 06:42 PM EDT (US)     12 / 17  
    I agree. Price alone can't contitute a valid argument. This really just needs to be tested.

I am herpes.

Pyro Icon
    posted 12-12-05 10:39 AM EDT (US)     13 / 17  
    I've heard in a topic that there was a "bug" in that Royal upgrades were only 10%, making them worse than normal Guard, to which ES respond that even thou it shows up as 10% it is in fact 40%.

If Insane Sheep is right when saying:

Quote:

Guard Ruyter Upgrade Complete
    Carbineer Ruyter Upgrade Complete
    It should count both.

Then it makes perfect sense to me that they are both counted, 30% + 10%, therefore Royal upgrade showing up as 10% thus the illusion of a "bug".

I'm not sure anymore if it was one of ES guys who answered as i really can't find it in age community forums.

[This message has been edited by Robokku (edited 12-12-2005 @ 10:53 AM).]

posted 12-12-05 11:44 AM EDT (US)     14 / 17  
    The Royal Guard upgrade adds an additional 10% upgrade over the normal Guard upgrade.

When you see the two messages (Guard upgrade complete, Carabiners upgrade complete, e.g.), you are getting the 30% Guard and then the 10% Royal Guard upgrade.

The total benefit from doing a Royal Guard upgrade to a Veteran troop is 40%.

There's no way, IMO, that the Royal Guard upgrade is ever supposed to be 40% more than Guard. That would spending the extra 400 wood/Coin of royal guard yield almost the same benefit as the 1500 wood/coin Imperial upgrades yield.

posted 12-13-05 05:19 AM EDT (US)     15 / 17  
    the dutch have a unique muskateer right? I forgot what they are called, but dont they count aswell as the portuguese bestieros?
    posted 12-13-05 03:24 PM EDT (US)     16 / 17  
    Stadhoulders are one of the Dutch special Merc Units available in the church for 2000Coin, which are essential 15 Elite Musketeers.

I find this post rather confusing and will check out the impact of the Age5 vs. Age4 Halberdier upgrade myself.

Just got the X-pack!
    Playing Classic Age3 again
    posted 12-13-05 05:42 PM EDT (US)     17 / 17  
    This has nothing to do with imperial units...

I am herpes.

Pyro Icon
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Royal Guard Info
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames