You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A Prussian Strategy
posted 12-19-05 10:35 PM EDT (US)   
ok, here is a strat i have developed throughout playing over ESO.

1. At the start have all your villies go to get the crates that you automatically get (of course), and also have your explorer go to the place where the enemy is likely to be located and have him go in a waypoint circle around the enemy base to look for enemy villies far away from the TC. send one villager to build a house

2 whenever you have the food, build vilagers and send them all to food till you have 14. By this time you shouldve gotten a shipment. Make this shipment the 300 food (or whatever food shipment you have for the Discovery Age).

3. By the time the food shipment has all gone to your food stockpile, you should have 800+ food. Click the Age button and choose 500 food (if you havent gotten any other options by leveling up).

4. At this time send half of your villies to start hackin up wood.

5. Continue to que villies, but send the waypoint to wood now rather than food.

6. Once you hit Colonial collect the 500 food and you should have a good amount of wood. You should also have another shipment ready; choose the 5 Uhlans.

7. Take a villager from wood and have him build another house, and then a barracks near the enemy base.

8. Take your 5 Uhlans that you got from the shipment and go to some unprotected enemy villagers (you shouldve spotted some at the beginning with your explorer). Kill off as many as you can before they ring the town bell/ garrison. When they do however, retreat and wait a couple of seconds for them to come back out and raid again.

9. From your barracks that you built, start to build xbows (about 15). You can use these to either kill any infantry the enemy might have built or kill more villies.

10. When the enemy has built up enough defenses to prevent further raiding, set your TC waypoint to coin, and continue producing villies now for coin.

11. When you have a sufficient amount, build Dopplesoldners (VERY excellent at razing buildings) ( you should also throw in some more xbows to back up your Dopplers)

From here you can adjust to it to anyway that best fits your playing style whether it be more raiding, or turtling.

hope this helps

~ SAP

Word spread like darkness, tiny rumor after rumor trickling its way through the ears and mouths of all wise enough to hear it.Through this day its very existence remains mythed,its origin unclear, remembered only by few. Silence kept it hidden, legend kept it alive, darkness kept it feared. The true might of the skies; the Supreme Air Power....
Replies:
posted 12-20-05 01:32 AM EDT (US)     1 / 21  
You're better off sending the settler wagon card than 300 food. That food isn't going to save you enough time to make it worthwhile. Alternately don't send anything in discovery and then send 2 military shipments back-2-back as soon as you age.
posted 12-20-05 05:23 AM EDT (US)     2 / 21  
Your strategy seems ok, but I would still use my strategy
[I have never used it against a human player, but it works ok against computer 2 v 2 on hard, with Ivan the terrible on my side (Ivan the terrible sucks by the way...... too much focus on economy no defence whatsoever)]

Aaaaanyway back to the point.

1. The aim to get one over on the computer player is to rush through as fast as possible, aiming to get to the fortress age with generally 5 minutes or so to spare (this doesn't usually work against queen isabella i've found, she is a bit of a rusher aswell)

In effect scrimp on the villagers until you reach the fortress age. By the end of the discovery age I had 4 villagers on each resource. Basically after you have emptied all your crates you will have 300 food, 100 wood, 5 settlers and a settler wagon. So place 2 settlers and a settler wagon to food collecting, and the other three on wood. With your 300 food make 3 villagers, and get the first villager to build 1 house. Then with your other two villagers place one on food and one on wood. While your villager is building his humble abode, train another 3 villagers (you will not have that amount of food by now, just train them gradually). Set all 4 villagers to mining and arrange for a shipment of 300 food to come to you. By now your explorer should have built at least 1 trading post somewhere (have him collecting the settlers and resource treasures around the map, they are rather useful). In the age-up take the 500 food option, or the 4 cows if you want. I would recommend the 500 food straight away, because otherwise you have to wait for your cows to gorge themselves (although they make it worthwhile)

2. In the colonial age dont focus too much on your military, your villagers will still be close enough to be garrisoned in the TC. Build 1 barracks and train a few pikemen, they can delay the opposition while your peasants retreat to the TC. Build a market and research the woodcutting improvement, and the hunting one if your people are hunting for food. If you have the advanced mill card, this is a godsend, send it as late as possible, but at least one shipment before your villagers run out of a nearby food source.

Keep training villagers, and exploring. Keep training villagers until you have 8 on each resource. Build a house as necessary, and maybe train a few more pikemen, crossbowmen or two handed swordsmen if you can afford them. You should always have villagers training in the town centre (until you get the 8 on each resource). If researching an upgrade or making a few troops will interrupt the flow of this training, for however much time, dont bother getting it. By the time you are ready for the fortress age you should have space in your population for at least 50 people, as well as having 24 villagers (i generally make 25 villagers, so i can have one villager building all my buildings), and you should also have maybe 5 pikemen and 2 trading posts.

3. Ok once you have hit the fortress age really crank out your economy. You should have a few minutes to spare before your enemies catch up, and by now you should have a mill and a market and have research the mining, milling and woodcutting improvements to at least the 1st level. In the fortress age try to get 14, or at least 12, villagers on each resource. Get a fort wagon sent in (if possible) and get your explorer to build a 3rd trading post. Near this 3rd trading post set up your fort and a second town centre, if you cant get a fort set up 1 or 2 outposts as well as a barracks. At this 2nd town centre you should eventually set it up as a 2nd base, complete with houses barracks artillery foundry etc.

If, and only IF you want to get to the industrial age(believe me when i say it is not essential), do it ASAP, after you have done all of the above. By the time you begin the upgrade to the industrial age you should have probably 5000 wood and at least 3000 food and probably 4000-5000-6000 coin in your coffers. You will ask, why not age up sooner? because you will have needed resources to build a small defensive army in the fortress age, and by the time you get to the imperial age you will have at least 3 minutes on the computer, who stops in the fortress age to expand base and military.

Back to the point again. Once you are in the industrial age you should really go hells bells on your military. Chances are you have already been attacked and it has left you with a very sour taste in your mouth, as villagers are a pain in the a** to replace. Aaaanyway sometime in the industrial age you should get up to 16-18 villagers on each resource with all economic improvements researched. But now start to work on your military. If you dont know what strategy your opponent is working on, i would suggest this small attack group.

10 Uhlan, coupled with 5-10 doppelsoldners (depends on your economy), 15 skirmishers and 3 falconets. Causes quite a lot of disruption to an opponents colony for its size. Also i cant stress enough the strength of an imperial war wagon, and if you have some of the cavalry improvement cards, use them aswell.

The few key difficulties in the german civilization lie in the lack of a basic ranged unit, and the lack of Uhlan hitpoints. The crossbowman in my way of thinking doesnt count, they are easily slaughtered by anything except for melee infantry. The german civ really lacks a musketeer. And also one of the biggest pains in the buttocks are constantly replacing your Uhlan cavalry. You will find that even your Imperial Czapka (imperial Uhlan upgrade) are slaughtered no probelemos by enemy infantry. After a bit of experimentation you can find a strategy easily. To each his own.

Now this strategy involves a lot of sitting around praying to god your enemies aren't too aggressive, or they dont come after you with a massed army in the colonial or fortress age. But once you pull this strategy off, it is very VERY difficult to stop. You will be able to get even to the imperial age miles before your opponents: The AI usually stops in the industrial age, and does most of its military work there, only after quite a while there will they go to imperial. SO my advice is to ensure that EVERYTHING is ready, including your armies, before you go to imperial, because once you get to imperial the AI will have been provoked to go there aswell.

Sorry this was so long winded, and i would recommend trying it on easy or moderate against the AI to get practice first. Also a level 10 home city makes it miles easier with some of the cards you can get.

posted 12-20-05 06:11 AM EDT (US)     3 / 21  
A Prussian strategy? wat u talkin about?

supporter of Crystal Palace Football club
Leader of The VnX clan!

ESO Name: Rulezzz
posted 12-20-05 09:31 AM EDT (US)     4 / 21  
Nobody cares if you are historically correct. AOE3 calls it Germany, and so should you. There is no Prussian civilization to play in this GAME. It's a game, not a history book.
posted 12-20-05 11:26 AM EDT (US)     5 / 21  
[q] Nobody cares if you are historically correct. AOE3 calls it Germany, and so should you. There is no Prussian civilization to play in this GAME. It's a game, not a history book. [q]

Woah pal, maybe he gets this idea from a real prussian strategy... maybe he calls it that because he wants to

but no need to get on his case

seems like you are being a prune

Machine gun
posted 12-20-05 01:46 PM EDT (US)     6 / 21  
sorry that came out harsher than intended
posted 12-20-05 02:13 PM EDT (US)     7 / 21  
If I ever have 5000/3000/6000 resources it's because I'm at 200 pop limit and my uncontested max pop army is chasing down the remaining settlers of my enemies civilization. There is no interest on resources in this game, so don't bank them.. because there is DEFINITELY a strong inflation effect.

In other words, resources are most useful when you get them.. not later. Same with military. The only exception with military units is that military units that engage in a battle against an overwhelming force 2:1 or greater are wasted resources becuase they will not inflict their value in damage before they perish.

Sometimes you're better off to let your enemy demolish a few buildings while you recruit a force (after an initial loss) so that your counterattack will suffer fewer losses and you can push the battle back into his base.

Never underestimate the power of dropping some heavy hitters in his base while he's all over you. A handful of cavalry in his base can do more damage (ie, kill settlers)to his unprotected base if he's focused on the main battle in your base than his whole attacking force does to you.

You'd be suprised how many players (myself included) focus squarely on a large encounter to micro their forces to victory while ignoring the alerts of the raid on their base at home. At least half of my losses have come from smart players using this approach... if not all.. the major exception being losses to well executed or unanticipated otto or native rushes, those are my bane.. but at least the pain passes quickly.

posted 12-30-05 01:14 PM EDT (US)     8 / 21  
Upgrade skirms. Look at what thier called (or was it the upgrade...) for Germans. One of them is Prussan.
posted 12-30-05 01:34 PM EDT (US)     9 / 21  
Hmm...

I prefer the 8.00 Min. Rush..

Build 15 Uhlan, 15 Crossbowman, 7 + 3 Doppelsoldner

posted 12-30-05 04:03 PM EDT (US)     10 / 21  
saying prussian will just confuse a lot of people
posted 12-30-05 04:11 PM EDT (US)     11 / 21  
LOL!11!! Sto0P1D!!1! RUSsIANS donT Git OOLANS!

;zlskehrt;oaweifalkdjfa;io3
posted 12-31-05 12:27 PM EDT (US)     12 / 21  
:P Lol..

Actually Prussian isn't correct anyway..

posted 01-01-06 00:51 AM EDT (US)     13 / 21  
This strat will never work against a good player. Your uhlan raids can be easily stopped by a tower or some pikes, and by the time you have your huge "rushing" force, the enemy will be in your base, in the fortress age, or have a very strong defence already up.

~·························································~
ESO: F1RÉ_FLÝ
~·························································~
posted 04-11-07 09:10 PM EDT (US)     14 / 21  
Upgrade skirms. Look at what thier called (or was it the upgrade...) for Germans. One of them is Prussan.

Prussian Needle Guns royal guard upgrade for skirmishers

[This message has been edited by Natron (edited 04-11-2007 @ 09:11 PM).]

posted 04-11-07 10:01 PM EDT (US)     15 / 21  
"Prussian Needle Guns royal guard upgrade for skirmishers" German Skirms right.
posted 04-11-07 10:42 PM EDT (US)     16 / 21  
Its true, but i dont recall whether they are just called Needle Gunners, or whether the royal guard upgrade itself is called Prussian Needle Gunners, but i think it is mentioned somewhere.

If only i had a german civ...

The Optimist believes that we live in the best possible world. The Pesimist believes this to be true.
posted 04-11-07 11:34 PM EDT (US)     17 / 21  
:P Lol..
Actually Prussian isn't correct anyway..

Ya it is but ES just called it Germany so people like you woulndt get confused

"Obstacles do not exist to be surrendered to, but only to be broken." - Adolf Hitler

Proud citizen of Sovietcanuckistan.

~92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig.~
posted 04-12-07 01:57 AM EDT (US)     18 / 21  
Right, and the reason for digging this up was...?
posted 04-12-07 02:13 AM EDT (US)     19 / 21  
/shrug

"Obstacles do not exist to be surrendered to, but only to be broken." - Adolf Hitler

Proud citizen of Sovietcanuckistan.

~92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig.~
posted 04-12-07 02:20 AM EDT (US)     20 / 21  
LOL the last reply before someone found it neccessary to answer again was over 1 year and 3 months old :P
posted 04-12-07 02:25 PM EDT (US)     21 / 21  
Check the thread date before posting, please.

Meh, I'll close it and end your fun anywayz.

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » A Prussian Strategy
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames