Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: XP and Trading Posts
posted 01-10-06 01:45 PM EDT (US)   
The Search for More XP
So you want more XP too? Getting a few more levels for that home city and pulling in shipments faster would be a great thing. So, it’s time to figure out how xp generation works.

Off into single player skirmish I go, garrisoning my villagers before they can gather crates and pull my explorer back to my town center as to not explore the map and check how much xp is needed for the first shipment. Its 300, but wait, what’s this? The number needed is going down, the green bar is moving, and I’m not doing anything! Turns out xp is passively generated at a rate of 2xp per second. After a few more tests I think I’ve figured everything out. It’s remarkably simple.

You get xp for;

• creating units
  • building buildings
  • killing units
  • destroying buildings
  • being in the game – 2xp/sec
  • Trading Posts set to gether xp

You do not get xp for;

• exploring the map
  • gathering resources
  • units from shipments
  • technologies

As the xp trickle is the main source of xp early in the game it’s quite hard to get shipments faster. For example, a house at 20 xp will send a shipment 10 seconds faster. Maybe I’ll start building my seconds house right after the first when I have 200 wood. That 3 villager shipment 10 seconds faster can gather me about 15 more wood, still rather insignificant. The lesson to take away is that you get xp for spending what you have or breaking what others have. You can see how much xp is generated for creation/kill by hovering over the small unit icon in game or for anything in the proto file.

Remember that the amount of xp needed for the next shipment is always larger than that for the previous one. Roughly speaking its somewhere in the range of 15% more. Spain has a requirement about 73% of other civilizations (220 vs 300 for first shipment).

That settled, it seems time to investigate trading posts. First problem is that they give different amounts of xp on different maps; this seems to be based on the length of the trade route. In fact it is, as best as my testing can show. The trade post system is set up so that the xp generation rate for trading posts on any map is the same at a stately 1.2 xp per second. With the lvl 2 (stage coach) trade route upgrade this goes to 1.7 xp per second. Note that if you set this to gold it’s the same as having 3 settlers on a plantation with one upgrade (.55 coin per second). And finally at lvl 3 (train) the rate is roughly 2.15 xp per second.

Interesting note; 250 wood gathered with one upgrade (.55 w/s) takes 455 vs to gather. A lvl 2 trade post can gather 255 wood in 147 seconds. Or in the same time it takes 3 villagers.

On maps like great lakes there is a long time between each pass of the trade unit. Without gather sites we’ve gotten used to nice smother gathering returns while trade can be very staggered. Getting the trading post up just before the trade unit passes is a whole lot nicer than right afterwards. I didn't do truly extensive testing on all the maps/upgrades but this is as much info on the subject as I really need to compare my options.

NerVe Clan
    SMF AoE3 Recorded Game Data Mod
  • Replies:
    posted 01-10-06 01:52 PM EDT (US)     1 / 27  
    Actually the best way to gain early XP, if you have 100 spare wood, is to use the ATP card and build 1 Road TP. You get 50xp for 125 wood spent, which is the best return on building XP in the game. Shortly after that, you get your first 58xp or whatever it is for the first pass of the TP.

If you find some more wood, or put Vils on wood during age up, you can drop a 2nd Road TP before you hit Colonial, without slowing your time at all. With this extra XP, you can typically have 2 shipments ready to send when you hit the 5:00 mark in Colonial.

posted 01-10-06 01:59 PM EDT (US)     2 / 27  

Quote:

Getting the trading post up just before the trade unit passes is a whole lot nicer than right afterwards. I didn't do truly extensive testing on all the maps/upgrades but this is as much info on the subject as I really need to compare my options.

hehe on new england I end up chasing the trade wagon! If you start building the trade post JUST as the wagon passes, it will return JUST as you finish building it and you get the xp right away! On larger maps if you can roughly judge where the wagon is, you can build the TP in the perfect position to get the xp right away and score a really quick shipment

posted 01-10-06 02:02 PM EDT (US)     3 / 27  
    Forgot to mention. If you play Otto, and take both TP cards, you end up with 90% cost discount. That means you spend 25 Wood and get 50 XP, that's the best ROI on resources for xp in the game.
    posted 01-10-06 02:08 PM EDT (US)     4 / 27  
    New England:each pass inteval is about 62 seconds,no surprise Ceres end up chasing the wagons

Base wagon speed 4,2nd stage 6,3rd,8.5.

Most of the maps,the value for resources and experience is the same,but on GP seems to be different,resources have a higher value,don't know why.

Dice,if Otto reserch Tupi or Cree for their wood discount tech,I don't know the result...0 cost or -25 cost?

[This message has been edited by Plebus (edited 01-10-2006 @ 02:13 PM).]

posted 01-10-06 02:21 PM EDT (US)     5 / 27  
    Stage 3 exp generating speed is 2.45-2.5 per second,and in my tests the base rate is aound 1.1 and 2nd 1.6x,consistant with the wagon/coach speed difference(1.5 times).
    posted 01-10-06 02:34 PM EDT (US)     6 / 27  
    thanks, wonder how i got so far off with the train rate. oh well.

NerVe Clan
    posted 01-10-06 07:53 PM EDT (US)     7 / 27  
    Are you definately sure that you don't get xp for gathering resources? I trust your but every where else I have looked (including some of the offical ES sources) says you get xp for gathering. Maybe people just misinterpreted the constant xp for being in the game as gathering xp?

Really good post tho. Nice to know as a Spain FF player how I can get those shipments faster

[img]http://www.mastersgames.de/esostats/Stryfe,0,2.png[/img]
    posted 01-10-06 08:24 PM EDT (US)     8 / 27  
    You don't get XP for gathering resources.
    posted 01-10-06 09:58 PM EDT (US)     9 / 27  
    Also spanish ahs a faster XP tricke + they start with 215 XP for each shipment.

"Dutch are OP!"
    "Iriquois are OP!"
    "Stophon is OP!"

tEk Clan #1 US Clan
    posted 01-11-06 05:56 AM EDT (US)     10 / 27  
    "Dice,if Otto reserch Tupi or Cree for their wood discount tech,I don't know the result...0 cost or -25 cost?"

If you use the Tupi with the two otto cards, the cost is free, and when you hover over it says

Cost: Free

posted 01-11-06 07:52 AM EDT (US)     11 / 27  
    Well.. Road TP actually rule..

It will boost a Spanish rush.. Immense..

[This message has been edited by EmpofKilling (edited 01-11-2006 @ 07:52 AM).]

posted 01-11-06 09:16 AM EDT (US)     12 / 27  
    Great post, thanks for sharing!
    posted 01-11-06 10:04 AM EDT (US)     13 / 27  

Quote:

Also spanish ahs a faster XP tricke + they start with 215 XP for each shipment.

I remember reading that the shipment requirements are lower, not that they gain XP faster.
    posted 01-11-06 10:15 AM EDT (US)     14 / 27  
    I have a question regarding exp. Is it worth the time to hit as many tresures early on for the exp. I usually do this early on and it speeds up my exp, I even use some of my first shipment units to clear the treasures so my explorer can just walk around gathering. Seems to work but dont know if this is possible in non noob games.
    posted 01-11-06 10:25 AM EDT (US)     15 / 27  
    You do get after-game xp with those awards.
    (so you do - in a way- get xp for exploring the map, gathering resources, (I think) getting shipments and techs)

mMaybe you can add a (small) section about those?

(\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) Corn for the Corn God!
    posted 01-11-06 10:28 AM EDT (US)     16 / 27  
    when you kill a treasure guardian you get the xp it shows, i always try to make sure im getting some early exp with explorer. and use my instant kill on big TG's.

B-B-B-Brilliant!
    posted 01-11-06 11:00 AM EDT (US)     17 / 27  
    On the line of XP gathering and trading posts. how effective would it be to wall them in vs an ottoman player?
    posted 01-11-06 01:21 PM EDT (US)     18 / 27  
    Does a wall count as buildings? Seems like a good idea to get defenses up AND earn experience.
    posted 01-11-06 02:37 PM EDT (US)     19 / 27  
    Very observant Flammifer. Thanks !
    posted 01-11-06 04:55 PM EDT (US)     20 / 27  
    great posts fkammifier...my game has improved since reading these

Online ESO name: Canadian_Bro
    Clan: iC (innner Circle)
    1900+ cuetech or Major
    www.pimpinpickle.com
    posted 01-11-06 05:20 PM EDT (US)     21 / 27  
    There's an XPTrickle "tech" in the techtree.xml that is set to 2.00 by default, though it can accept values between 0.01 and 10.00. I never tested to see if it actually changed in-game though.
    posted 01-16-06 12:42 PM EDT (US)     22 / 27  
    You might be able to wall off a native trading post, but not a resource generating one because you cannot build on trade routes.

Advanced trading post should assign cost to 125w rather than reduce 50%, thereby Otto only gains attack with that card instead of getting free tp's.

posted 01-16-06 01:14 PM EDT (US)     23 / 27  
    @Flammifer:

Recently when watching replays I noticed that exp/resource generate rate by TPs varies from map to map,sometimes the base rate is over 1.3 and with 1st upgrade close to 2.

[This message has been edited by Plebus (edited 01-16-2006 @ 01:15 PM).]

posted 01-19-06 03:44 AM EDT (US)     24 / 27  
    One thing he didn't find on that list is you get exp for upgrading your trade route to level 2 and to level 3. -_-
    posted 01-19-06 11:27 AM EDT (US)     25 / 27  
    Pip, yeah no xp for upgrades as best I can tell.

Plebus, how are you observing this rate durring a recorded game? The player should be doing other stuff to generate xp, building and killing, which will make it practicly impossible to measure. Which maps, and with how many players did you observe this?

NerVe Clan
    posted 01-19-06 11:52 AM EDT (US)     26 / 27  
    @rebel operations

if you did change the xp trickle number in the techtree.xml would it change it for online also?

posted 01-19-06 11:52 AM EDT (US)     27 / 27  
    @Flammifer :By watch a trade cart passing a TP,when the xxx exp pop out,I pause the game and take note of the xx:xx:xx...then repeat.
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » XP and Trading Posts
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames