Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: New Dutch Strat: Skrim Skewer
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
posted 01-16-06 03:47 PM EDT (US)   
Are you reaching the point where you have all but lost hope for Dutch?

Are you sick of FF and want to beat your opponent before they get those **** mercs??

This strat is your answer. It is the reason why my cuetech rating recently went up 100 points. I kept this strat to myself and my clanmates for a full week to make sure it was good (and to reap the rewards before it was leaked!)

Yes, it is THAT good. And you can do it with a lvl <10 Dutch.

First, a summary:

Build a bank in Discovery.
Get to Colonial in less than 4 min.
Have 3 hussars + 5 skirms in enemy's base by 5:15

Cards needed:
300w
3 hussars
8 pikes

Helpful cards:
4 vils
3 vils
700 wood

Ok so here it is, in full detail

1. Collect crates, then hunt. Put ALL vils on hunt.
2. Create 2 vils, no more (bear with me here).
3. When you have 800F, age up using 500 wood politician.
4. Send 1 vil to a mid-map gold mine, 1 vil to TC gold mine.
5. When your first shipment arrives, get 300 wood.
6. Once you collect that 300 wood and have 350 food, build a bank.
7. Move 3 more vils to gold.

So at this point you are in Colonial with:
9 vils (4 hunting, 5 on gold)
1 bank
0 houses
500 wood crate

8. Send the 3 hussar shipment.
9. Once you have enough wood, have your mid-map vil build a barracks as close to the enemy TC as possible.
10. Build a house ASAP.
11. Once barracks is done, queue skirms.
12. Build another house.

The hussars will arrive before the skirms, so send them to the enemy's base when they do. They should start attacking at around 5:00. AVOID THE TC! The hussars are meant to chase all vils back to the TC, but must stay out of its range.

13. Move another vil from gold back to hunt (5 hunt, 4 gold)
14. 3rd shipment is pikes.
15. 4th shipment is 700w/700g/vils.

What do you do with 3 hussars and 5 skirms at 5:15?

You prevent his vils from doing anything. You harrass him relentlessly. You kill as many vils as you can. Keep him off his gold mine. He will try to escape out his back door so you use your envoy to see when that happens. Keep your hussars on the move looking for his desperate attempt to sneak out.

Soon you will have 15 skirms and 8 pikes, and his options are few!

Once you're ready to take down his TC, send 600/700 wood and build pikes. 15 pikes plus your skirms = GG.

New: Skirm Skewer vs Dutch

Skirm Skewer vs another Dutch
(mirror)

Skirm Skewer vs French
(mirror) thanks Cattlelord

Why this strat works so well

First of all, every civ starts with some gold and some food. Most civs cannot use that gold to invest in eco, but as dutch you can. You get 200 gold, and it will all go to vils.

So you don't make many vils in discovery, and yes you are probably cringing at that idle TC time, BUT you get to make a bank while aging. That's an extra 4 vils that you build WHILE you get to II. Name one other civ that can do that.

Also you are ahead in shipments. when that bank goes up, you get 140 XP. That means you get your 2nd shipment at 4:00 :0 Dutch is the only civ that can get this much XP from improving their eco.

The Colonial skirms are what make this strat work not only at home economically, but in the enemy's base militarily. Your skirms can pick off vils no matter how close they are to the TC. Their range is their main asset, cause they can shoot, then retreat while taking minimal TC fire.

Who will see this coming? Anyone who gets matched against Dutch will think "Dutch is a turle civ, he won't rush, but I can't either, so FF and merc him to death." They NEVER expect hussars in their base at 5 min! And even when they see that, they don't see the skirms coming cause they think it's just raiding. It completely throws off their expectations and that gives you a huge advantage.

agecommunity quote of the month Ok i have payed for this game for al my moneythat i get in a month so when i go online isee these 9 year old kids that beat me that have played for 2 weeks and i have played since release of vanilla so im pretty pissed of that es dosent want to do anything about the balance of the game.

[This message has been edited by jaafit (edited 02-07-2006 @ 10:32 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01-16-06 03:51 PM EDT (US)     1 / 155  
you're timing is impeccable, jaafit . Must try this today

"War does not determine who is right, only who is left" -- B Russell
posted 01-16-06 04:26 PM EDT (US)     2 / 155  
i love scaring away villies.

hussars, xbow, pike: BLARGHAAAHHH!!

VILLIES: AAAAAHHH!!!!! TC! TC! AAHHH!

posted 01-16-06 04:29 PM EDT (US)     3 / 155  
^ What was That?

Oh Yeah, Good strat. I haven't tried it out yet so I don't know how effective it will be, but it sounds like it will work.

~·························································~
ESO: F1RÉ_FLÝ
~·························································~

[This message has been edited by F1RE_FLY (edited 01-16-2006 @ 04:33 PM).]

posted 01-16-06 04:49 PM EDT (US)     4 / 155  
by the sound of this, brit should be able to do this as well.

aging up wood for vils, age 2 range 22 att 34 longbows and husser shipments.

posted 01-16-06 05:09 PM EDT (US)     5 / 155  
(at work can't watch recording)

The 13th Villager triggers the first shipment in a traditional build, at aprox 2:00. I'd be curious as to what time your first shipment is available. My guess is 2:30-3:00.

So you collect and my guess drop the bank at 3:30, with it finishing at 4:00, in or about to be in Colonial, with another shipment queing after the bank finishes.

Sounds like it has promise. I wonder if it might be better to take 700 gold instead of the horses. Your probably short on it, and your short on Vils and Skirms. Personally I'd rather raid with 10 Skirms / 8 Pikes than 5 Skirms/3Horse. That way I'd also get the extra 100xp or so from producing Skirms and Vils.

posted 01-16-06 05:10 PM EDT (US)     6 / 155  

Quote:

by the sound of this, brit should be able to do this as well.

aging up wood for vils, age 2 range 22 att 34 longbows and husser shipments.

Taunt 19. Comparing longbows to skirms should be illegal and punished accordinly.

Alex898 said:"I can understand some tweaks like higher cost but people keep trying to make them god awful."
posted 01-16-06 05:24 PM EDT (US)     7 / 155  
Diceclock,

I'm glad you read this cause I know you are very frustrated with the Dutch and their troubles with FF.

You CAN send 700 gold instead of hussars. I've tried that and you definitely end up with more skirms, but I prefer to have the hussars because they get there faster and are nice to have around when you want to attack vils on the opposite side of their TC. Hussars are essential vs French, who take about 30 skirm hits, but only 4 hussar hacks IIRC. But if you're not a hussar person, then get the 700 gold for sure.

The 1st shipment is available at around 2:25, as you predicted. That's also about the same time you hit the button to age. The bank is ideally done right before you hit colonial, sometimes a few seconds later, and your 2nd shipment (700 gold/hussars) is sent when it is finished.

agecommunity quote of the month Ok i have payed for this game for al my moneythat i get in a month so when i go online isee these 9 year old kids that beat me that have played for 2 weeks and i have played since release of vanilla so im pretty pissed of that es dosent want to do anything about the balance of the game.
posted 01-16-06 05:37 PM EDT (US)     8 / 155  

Quote:

Who will see this coming? Anyone who gets matched against Dutch will think "Dutch is a turle civ, he won't rush, but I can't either, so FF and merc him to death." They NEVER expect hussars in their base at 5 min! And even when they see that, they don't see the skirms coming cause they think it's just raiding. It completely throws off their expectations and that gives you a huge advantage.

Good point, and smart move for sending 300 wood first,almost the same as on of the variations of the strategy I was developing for the past few weeks...the difference is I will build more villagers(the reason is simple:to age before 4:00 you only have to kick the age button before 2:30).Too few villagers(even if you have a bank) will slow you down after the first few bollets are out:bank so early means you are using 350food and 50 wood buying an extra villager,though you are compensated by earlier shipments.

Dice:4 villager(9 to 13) means 40 exp,will be 20 seconds later than normal.

[This message has been edited by Plebus (edited 01-16-2006 @ 05:38 PM).]

posted 01-16-06 05:43 PM EDT (US)     9 / 155  

Quote:

That's an extra 4 vils that you build WHILE you get to II. Name one other civ that can do that.

brits. if they had there logbowmen with a bonus against something like vils then it could work. pop wise and 300 wood early means 2vils automaticly with pop.

Scenarios I have made
Single Player-: CAMPAIGN - Christmas - Forest River RPG - Total Freedom
MultiPlayer-: Castle Blood Automatic - Mafia Hitman - Warrior Defence
ESO = sandstorm....................................................................................."I won the bet on 1.04!"

[This message has been edited by gunner1 (edited 01-16-2006 @ 05:44 PM).]

posted 01-16-06 05:45 PM EDT (US)     10 / 155  
"Taunt 19. Comparing longbows to skirms should be illegal and punished accordinly. "

i am sorry but i have no idea what you saying...

posted 01-16-06 05:47 PM EDT (US)     11 / 155  
Basically hes saying

Longbows are to skirmishers,as donkeys are to socks.

posted 01-16-06 05:59 PM EDT (US)     12 / 155  
"donkeys are to socks."

what !?

i still not quite sure what he is saying....

does he think longbow is weak compared to skirms?

posted 01-16-06 06:06 PM EDT (US)     13 / 155  

Quote:

Too few villagers(even if you have a bank) will slow you down after the first few bollets are out:bank so early means you are using 350food and 50 wood buying an extra villager,though you are compensated by earlier shipments.

You could send 3 vils instead and create a 4th, which would use 300 fewer resources, but that gives you 130 less XP, forces you to build a house before getting hussars+barracks, AND you end up eating through that 1st gold mine early, something I never like to do.

posted 01-16-06 06:14 PM EDT (US)     14 / 155  
No,not that thing,I said sending 300 wood is smart,you saved a house and 65 seconds earlier 2nd shipment,that's right.The point is,If you build 2 or 3 more villagers,that will not slow down your age time as you'll have more villager collecting food from 1:00 to 2:30,though you start food with fewer villagers...try it.

[This message has been edited by Plebus (edited 01-16-2006 @ 06:16 PM).]

posted 01-16-06 06:26 PM EDT (US)     15 / 155  
The main problem with that is you sometimes only start with 100 wood. So if you make more than 10 vils, you have to make a house in discovery and when the wood shipment comes, you only have 300 to make a bank. I suppose if you had 200 wood to start, you could get 11/12 vils + bank with the same age II time. I'll try it.

posted 01-16-06 06:26 PM EDT (US)     16 / 155  
Good strat, Diceclock made a good post. I can't d/l the record though.. is it just me or..?

Off to try it though, will post the results in a few minutes. This one seems easier than my FF-to-counter-an-FF strat.. although, being in colonial before the 4th minute with a bank is.. well, interesting. BRB!

posted 01-16-06 06:37 PM EDT (US)     17 / 155  

Quote:

The main problem with that is you sometimes only start with 100 wood. So if you make more than 10 vils, you have to make a house in discovery and when the wood shipment comes, you only have 300 to make a bank. I suppose if you had 200 wood to start, you could get 11/12 vils + bank with the same age II time. I'll try it.

Yes,you might need 50 more wood,but that is not a problem:all you have to do is assign 2 -3 villagers chopping that 50 wood for you(you already have built 2 or 3 more,so that would not affect your food/gold),when you have 40+ wood and 250 or so food,switch another 2 villager collecting the shipment,you'll have the bank finished before colonial.

Besides,you can use your explorer to help you,most maps have wood treasures,you only need more than 50...you should know the map well and take note what kind of guardians will give you wood(some of them are random but some always the same).If your explorer can't help you before 2:30,then use the above mentioned build.

[This message has been edited by Plebus (edited 01-16-2006 @ 06:48 PM).]

posted 01-16-06 07:26 PM EDT (US)     18 / 155  
Aged at 3:50, game ended at 8:40.. the guy actually sent his villies to the mine my envoy was protecting.

Although.. I didn't manage to get my skirms in his town at 5:15.. Or maybe I did, didn't really check it, killed my first villy at 5:55 though (had to search a little while though).

posted 01-16-06 07:44 PM EDT (US)     19 / 155  
@Y3AH:3:50 you can do it while sleep:it just like Otto,and you get 2 villager earlier,no reason aging later than an Otto.

Edit:you can think this is a slightly weaker version of Otto rush,Otto will have more resources when hitting colonial and their rax will up earlier.The only advantage dutch have is skirmishers are quicker and better at harassing.

Yes,just like I guess,9 vil is too tight for skirmishers quick...you can't build any villagers after colonial if you want skirmishers as soon as barrack is built(3 vils on gold will accumulate ~170 gold before colonial plus a bank no more than 200 if no gold treasures),at least no constant villager prodution before the 1st 2 sets of skirmishers queued,unless you chang the shipment from 3 hussars to 700 gold....Honestly with my BO(with 3 more villagers built in discovery)I can only have 5 skirmishers out around 4:40-4:50 and if I want 10 ASAP then 700 gold is a must.

[This message has been edited by Plebus (edited 01-16-2006 @ 08:04 PM).]

posted 01-16-06 07:45 PM EDT (US)     20 / 155  
Can you please fix the recorded game? And this is an AWESOME strat. Ceres629 will be in to diss it momentarily. (Yes, that was saracsm, but he does diss every single strategy in the world because there is a 1% chance that it will fail)

The RoL forum colors make me sooo hungry.
-Unit Costs for 5-Philbo1-Explorer Micro-
B_E looks like a demented evil smiley.-Botolf

Stonewall Pwns
posted 01-16-06 07:53 PM EDT (US)     21 / 155  

Quote:

Aged at 3:50, game ended at 8:40.. the guy actually sent his villies to the mine my envoy was protecting.

Although.. I didn't manage to get my skirms in his town at 5:15.. Or maybe I did, didn't really check it, killed my first villy at 5:55 though (had to search a little while though).

Thanks for posting your results. They sound about right. At 4:30 the envoy should be looking for vils so you know where to send your hussars. 5:15 is a good time to get the skirms out. Sounds like you did it pretty well!

Quote:

Yes,just like I guess,9 vil is too tight for skirmishers quick...you can't build any villagers after colonial if you want skirmishers as soon as barrack is built

Correct, I usually don't make any vils until after i've played the 4 vil card. My eco sucks but his sucks worse

Quote:

with my BO(with 3 more villagers built in discovery)I can only have 5 skirmishers out around 4:40-4:50.

I'd love to see a recorded game of that. If you can do it, (12 vils + 1 bank + 5 skirms in 5:00) your strat beats mine.

Quote:

Can you please fix the recorded game?

I hit my max daily xfer, so I upgraded to get more bandwidth. Should work now. BTW I had no hunt in that game, so I didn't get the hussars in his base until 5:30.

[This message has been edited by jaafit (edited 01-16-2006 @ 08:01 PM).]

posted 01-16-06 08:02 PM EDT (US)     22 / 155  
... rec works for me.

Good job ... but somewhat risky.

posted 01-16-06 08:12 PM EDT (US)     23 / 155  
This strat does what we, as dutch, needed. It slows down an FF, and due to the constant skirms presure, your opponent isn't going to have his Merc's anytime soon.

However, it isn't nearly as strong as a turkish rush, so don't expect to kill off every opponent with this :>

posted 01-16-06 09:06 PM EDT (US)     24 / 155  
Damn nice strat. It actually works. Though against Germans and Russians I would send 8 pikes instead of 3 Hussars, and try to have 10 skirmishers ASAP (even at the expense of making villagers) to raid from out of TC fire reach. Hussars just die too fast to TC fire IMO.

The big problem with the strat is recovering economically. 3rd shipment of 700 wood helps get another bank up ASAP, which translates to 8.8 villagers on gold (2 banks). 4-6 more villagers on gold and you're into "Moony raid" territory, with the equivalent of 12-14 villagers on gold.

By the way, can anyone figure out if it's possible to work in Advanced Trade Post in somehow? The shipments, even with banks' +140XP the shipments come kinda slowly.

"One wants to be loved, failing that admired, failing that feared, failing that hated and despised. One wants to instill in other people some form of emotion. The soul shudders before emptiness and wants contact, no matter the cost."
posted 01-16-06 09:15 PM EDT (US)     25 / 155  

Quote:

That's an extra 4 vils that you build WHILE you get to II. Name one other civ that can do that.

Ottoman can! not 4villies but 2!

Still, very good strat!, gotta try it!

Favourite civ: Ottoman!!! French!!!! German!!!! Dutch!!!!

My Ottoman VA rush --->http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=15,26677,0,10

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » New Dutch Strat: Skrim Skewer
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames