Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A russian rush BO
posted 01-20-06 05:57 PM EDT (US)   
Hello all,

I've played Russia a lot. 150+ games and at level 51. After receiving every one of Russia's HC cards/politicians/etc., I think I've found out the most standard and powerful strategy of Russia in most cases. Oddly enough, it can be preformed at almost any HC level. Therefore, I would really like people to try this out (as if trying an ottomen jan rush) and see how it works for them:

Basically:

Cards- 300f -> 13 Strelets -> 5 Cossacks -> 700g -> 700w
Units- 23 Strelets -> 5 Cossacks -> Mass 30~ Musketeers -> |3rd} Mass Upgraded 40~ Cossacks -> 2 Falconets
Economy- 10%+ hunting -> 20%+ hunting -> 10%+ woodchopping -> 10%+ gold mining -> |3rd| 10%+ farms
Buildings- Blockhouse -> 3 Houses -> Market -> Stable -> Trade Posts -> 5 Houses -> |3rd| Farms -> Plantations

It's called a Standard Russian Rush.

The Break-Down:

1:- 1 vill to shoot hunts toward TC.
2:- Other vills to individual food carts.
3:- Query vills at TC, waypoint hunts.
4:- Then, all vills to hunts.
5:- Except 1 vill to wood cart, build house, then, shift to hunting.
6:- Explorer explores.

Leave gold/extra wood alone. Keep hunting gathering effective. If possible to build market AND upgrade with hunting dogs (TIP: If map is Carolinas OR if Explorer found 50w + 50g treasures with initial 200w/0g, OR if Explorer found 150w with initial 100w/100g), build the market and precede to upgrade. Otherwise it is a waste to build market.

7:- Shipment 1: 300f. ASAP. (TIP: Try to get EXP treasures)
8:- 2 vills to 300f. ASAP.
9:- Advance with 500w politician.

There might be idle TC time- that's ok. Try to just be effiecent as much as possible. Once advancement starts:

10:- Vills 8w/6f
11:- 1 Vill hunter moves forward.

Chop wood near TC to build a blockhouse and continue to hunt. Hunting will be the main provider of food. 8 vills wood and 6 vills hunting. Send 1 hunter to forward hunting base to prepare to build a blockhouse. Once wood chopppers have gathered the 250w:

12:- 3w go to hunts. (5w now)
13:- Build BH.
14:- Query vills.

During age up, scout with Explorer to find enemy hunters, or vills closest to the forward BH. Have 3 vills queried at TC. Once you hit colonial:

15:- 3 vills to 500w crate.
16:- Ship 13 strelets.
17:- Build 3 houses, market.
18:- 3 vills back to wood.

Make sure to have economy all set, because the attack is about to start. Hunting is micromanage dependent, so shift click the vills to hunt in the next patch once a patch is about to end. Once BH is built:

19:- Have BH receive shipments.
20:- Build 10 strelets.
21:- Take your 13 strelets to closest enemy vills.
22:- Take your 23 strelets and go into TC area.

Use strelets to focus fire on vills and hit and run while in TC area. Maybe 3-5 strelets will die to TC fire. If 2-4 vills died, that's great. Hit and Run, and use effectively. Run from oppenant long ranged units/minmute men. Strelets are ineffective against ranged units. Pick off pikes though. The best thing about 13 strelets vs. the 5 cossack card early on is that cossacks die hard to the early TC fire and aren't range which doesn't cause as much harrassment damange. Strelets MUCH more effective at killing early around TC and last longer early on being the most cost effective.

Keep the eco focused on hunts. Have the some wood cutters (of the 5) to gather gold for awhile to afford upgrades to BOTH hunting techs (50w, 50g) + (125w, 125g). Once the 3rd shipment comes, keep the rush going strong.

23:- Ship 5 cossacks.

Use the cossacks to aid against ranged units, but keep them moving to stay away from pikes and musketeers. Have them in battles though for every added effect early on. Use to scout also.

Once food supply is good by hunting, send some vills to gold and start sending resource cards.

Either:

Build musketeers as they are more pop effective than the strelets and save a lot more on constant wood. Plus musketeers have more attack against the TC and better all around unit. So, set up economy for massed musketeers:

24:- Ship 700g.
25:- Build musketeers.

Or build strelets/cossacks if the enemy is building a lot of pikes or musketeers or the famous janisaries/abus gun combo, set up economy for cossacks/strelets:

24:- Ship 700w.
25:- Build stable + cossacks.
26:- Build strelets

Should be able to to have a large enough army to take out undefended TC at 8-9 mins. However, defended bases should be avoided and just allow your map control/economy let you win the rest of the game until cannons come into play.

Use this build. Post your example games, and tell me some things that counter this and ways to avoid that. Thx and GL!~

The Legion Clan is the oldest international clan in the gaming community with a founding date of 1999. For years have we held on to our traditions, tournaments, and even play-styles. Basically what we always look for is bright minds, superior skills, and interesting personalities. We only invite people to be a part of our family that we can achieve something with. Now don’t tell me The Legion Clan doesn’t know what’s important. Join a clan with history, one you can trust, join L Clan.

[This message has been edited by Realn (edited 01-22-2006 @ 04:11 AM).]

Replies:
posted 01-20-06 08:45 PM EDT (US)     1 / 22  
Strelets suck against buildings like TC, if it's garrisoned it will kill all your strelets, you should add in maybe 5 grenadiers to help take down buildings.
posted 01-20-06 09:02 PM EDT (US)     2 / 22  
The strelets aren't meant to attack the TC, they are meant to circle it and attack vills.

Strelets of course die to some TC fire, but at a lot less rate than cossacks (if i were to send 5 cossacks vs. 13 strelets). The strelets just stand up against it better.

The Legion Clan is the oldest international clan in the gaming community with a founding date of 1999. For years have we held on to our traditions, tournaments, and even play-styles. Basically what we always look for is bright minds, superior skills, and interesting personalities. We only invite people to be a part of our family that we can achieve something with. Now don’t tell me The Legion Clan doesn’t know what’s important. Join a clan with history, one you can trust, join L Clan.
posted 01-20-06 09:04 PM EDT (US)     3 / 22  
you miss the point Alex...If he garissons his villagers he is loosing valuable gathering time. Its going to take a while to kill 23 strelets from just TC fire.

The point of this rush inst to win. Its to cripple the other guys economy so yours can come out on top and then you can either go for a colonial win or get to fortress.

If your enemy sees 23 strelets at his door very early shooting at his villagers he is oging to have to respond..if he doesnt at all he either loses gathering seconds or loses vills.

If he responds which is likely he will either send a millatary shipment/build a stable and go for horses/build xbows/skirms or send minutemen. All of these hurt him more then your 375 food and 100 wood hurt you. Adding grens can be effective later on if youve contained him very well but if you go grenaders right away you are ruining your economy and he defends your rush your screwed.

Realns rush allows you to put pressure on his economy while still having a decent economy.

posted 01-21-06 00:22 AM EDT (US)     4 / 22  
I rather go for the 30 musket and 13 strelet push.

So this is called the Strelet cripple?I will have to try it.

[This message has been edited by majpain (edited 01-21-2006 @ 00:25 AM).]

posted 01-21-06 00:30 AM EDT (US)     5 / 22  
When i said my comment i was referring to when he said "Should be able to to have a large enough army to take out undefended TC at 8-9 mins"
posted 01-21-06 01:19 AM EDT (US)     6 / 22  
He wasn't just talking about strelets to attack the TC, he meant musketeers and/or cossacks or whatever else you put in there. Maybe you should actually read what he wrote, Alex.

Just call me Robert.
My Massgate
posted 01-21-06 03:49 AM EDT (US)     7 / 22  
I did read what he wrote, still grenadiers would probly be better for taking out the TC than cossacks or muskets.

[This message has been edited by Alex898 (edited 01-21-2006 @ 03:50 AM).]

posted 01-21-06 05:27 AM EDT (US)     8 / 22  
Hey Realn, weren't you the one who when I beated you using a Russian boom flamed at me being a n00b for having 99 settlers?
posted 01-21-06 06:28 AM EDT (US)     9 / 22  
^rofl... im not trying to be mean or something but thats just hilarious
posted 01-21-06 08:03 AM EDT (US)     10 / 22  
if 10 strelets could kill gentle pete the frinedly bear, you might just be on to something here.

what if the enemy ships 2 towers? this strat seems to assume the enemy has no army other than 8 pikemen. try vs any good FF'er and you will get your ass handed to you methinks.

Eso: scuzz
posted 01-21-06 08:10 AM EDT (US)     11 / 22  
Someone exactly did this to me, 23 strelets at 6:00. I guess he read this article...

SO I made a stable, 5 hussars and 3 hussars from a shipment and bye bye 23 strelets. Then I shipped 2 towers, when they were up I raided with my 8 hussars and semi-ff-ed in the meanwhile.

Dumbest question of the week by windo master (Agecommunity):
'Do you get online when you buy the age of empires regular version not the collectors editon but the regular?'

[This message has been edited by LiquidRed (edited 01-21-2006 @ 08:11 AM).]

posted 01-21-06 08:40 AM EDT (US)     12 / 22  
im just puzzled why a strelet rush made it onto home page...

Eso: scuzz
posted 01-21-06 11:37 AM EDT (US)     13 / 22  
posted 01-21-06 01:21 PM EDT (US)     14 / 22  
If you make a stable and 5 hussars + send 3 from shipment his 23 strelets are already cheaper. Noone should expect to win with this strat right away and infact i doubt vs a good player you could even stay in colonial. The point is tho that russia has a very bad and slow economy early on. 23 strelets in the other guys base can help to hurt the other guys economy while you ship resources and have villagers gathering and hopefully you can atleast come out equal.
posted 01-21-06 11:52 PM EDT (US)     15 / 22  
Well, lots of replies.

I just made this topic b/c there are SOOO many things Russia can do early on. And, well, I can honestly say I have tried them all and experimented with many odd things. To me, I think this is the most standard thing a Russian player should do. Which is:

Not exactly build many strelets early on (because we all know they will die hard to cavalry), but always have like 15-25, because they are awesome cheap support against infantry. Also, the 13 strelet card makes for an awesome and very valid early killing villagers rush. 23 Strelets can kill a villager in one volley. This makes it EXTREMELY easy and a POWERFUL strategy for most players to do. Followed up by some Cossacks, which come very earily considering all the exp from all the buildings and strelets, this army is strong enough to hold up its own. The 5 cossacks come so quickly that by 6:10~ there can be 23 strelets + 5 cossacks + 5 musketeers. Then continue to to mass musketeers which are funded by a superior economy. Late into 3rd, massed cossacks with all upgrades make a great typical army.

This is just a standard guide and detailed BO for people just starting to play the game and are interested in Russians. Villager production is very hard for Russians and with this BO, you are guaranteed to have a very strong economy while still having a decent size army throughout the game.

Thx for suggestive positive comments-

Going 13 strelets and musketeers is something I've tried too. But that is basically what I do also, but instead just build 10 more strelets first. 13 strelets can't kill vills in one hit, but 23 can. 13 strelets + 5 musketeers can't kill villagers in one hit either, and that would require economy to have some gold early on, which would be just slightly difficult (but not impossible). See the 13+10 is simply to kill a vill or two, plus they make great support later on. You won't need to build strelets unless you fall below 15 (which you shouldn't, since you are micro managing them well). Also the 500w really helps out and gold isn't really gathered until 15 vills are hunting and food amount is at good supply. But like I say, musketeers are a much more better all around unit in combat, so definitely build them to 30 so.

Grens are also very good, I've built 3-5 to add into my army sacrificing some musketeers to help take out buildings, if necessary. In a good even game though, building grenadiers will cost you the game because they cost too much resources for their effectiveness. Waiting until you simply have cannons is better.

However, against FF, I can definitely recommend the Gren Rush by BLuE_GaiDeN over at GameReplays. Works well.

EDIT: People keep saying strelets die hard to cavarly. DUH! That is why I build lots of musketeers later. Even if they don't have cavalry, 30+ musketeers + 5~ cossacks + 23~ strelets make a very decent colonial army.

[This message has been edited by Realn (edited 01-22-2006 @ 04:11 AM).]

posted 01-22-06 10:40 AM EDT (US)     16 / 22  
I just have to say that russian's most important resource early in the game is exp. if the HC system disappeared russia would be useless early game. This means:

GET TONS OF EXP. ASAP = faster rush better times and better economy.

To Love ones self is the begining of a lifelong romance.
www.freewebs.com/oldelpasogame
posted 01-22-06 08:27 PM EDT (US)     17 / 22  
Armigan, nice suggestion, but I think that is necessary for every civilization, not just Russia. Of course, since Russia doesn't get villager cards, it is important to utilize the other cards to the best of ability. ^^

posted 01-23-06 01:19 AM EDT (US)     18 / 22  
How can support constant military production + constant villager production with only 6 settlers on food. I normally have 11 and I still have troubles.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
-Benjamin Franklin
posted 01-23-06 06:07 PM EDT (US)     19 / 22  
As soon as the 250w is gained, then but 9 on food, then upgrade hunting dogs. Focus all on food until 15 vills, then you should send some to gold. It's easy. This is focused on having villager production, so you should have it no problem.

posted 01-23-06 08:12 PM EDT (US)     20 / 22  
My reasoning behind the exp. fast is that most other civs can just send a few villes in a card while a russian player can't. Getting tons of exp early on really helps to improve age up time. If you manage to find a 60xp treasure early on in the game you could save up to 20 seconds off your time: speed = good. Because Russia has no other choices exp. becomes a critical resource as improving age times is usually priority #2 (next to lots of settlers). And as god is my witness Russia needs all the time they can get in early game.

To Love ones self is the begining of a lifelong romance.
www.freewebs.com/oldelpasogame
posted 01-23-06 11:21 PM EDT (US)     21 / 22  
I would like to know how to beat a good Otto rush with Russian. I have been playing some quick match and I always get my butt handed to me on a platter. Building just strelets does not work.
posted 01-24-06 00:33 AM EDT (US)     22 / 22  
Playing a good otto with russians is almost impossible. You need to to hope he makes a mistake.

The ease of the ottos is so amazing and hopefully will get nerfed a bit. The russians are extremely difficult to play when defending vs ottos.. U need alot of blockhouse + strelets + cossakcs. You will likely have to sacrifice half your base just to be able to get the millatary needed to fend off his attacks.

Good luck^^ its tough =/.

CHeck out this replay http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=56365.

Its basically what you need to hope for vs otto..hope he makes some mistakes and you can scare him away^^ while going to fortress. Oprichinks are esential when playing Ottos. I dont think ive ever beat an otto where I havnt used Opris.

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » A russian rush BO
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames