Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Three Hour Game, 800 Cuirassier
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 01-30-06 00:47 AM EDT (US)   
Well guys I just got done the second longest game in my life, the longest one being five hours. Anyhow I asked yobbo if he would help me run through a plethora of tests to really see if the French Cuirassier was OP. You see as you guys know france is one of the civs I use a lot. The thing I find funny is even though I am france I dont find cuis to be insainly powerful, in fact I mainly use them for raiding, anti otto, and anti skirmishers. If they were so OP wouldnt I be spamming them even vs their counters which some ppl claim they work against? I tend to like a cannons/goon combo with some skirms much much more.

Now I like to be fair and so I wanted to go through an extensive series of tests to really see if they are as strong as some say. Remember these tests are simply unit strength test with micro involved. These test dont say anything about french economy ect. Bascily what we did was both boom to age5, not researching any military unit upgrade technologies, and then we slowly went throught different combo and different upgrade lvls of units vs the Cuirassier and its different support units. We tried various battles with and without micro, with and without support units, with and without upgrades ect. The results were very interesting so let me just summerize a little.

Cuirassier defintly become stronger as the game progresses, and you see a big effiecny jump when you get to the Gendarme upgrade. At the vet lvl pikes, halbs, musk, and goons all beat them cost and pop efficently. Hussars are slightly beaten and with goons you need to micro them or else you will loose. At the vet lvl skirm, cuis combos works ok but isnt the strongest in the world. Once you get to the royal guard lvl this changes a bit for volitars and Gendarme are a very good combo. Halbs, goons, and musk still work well against lone Cuirassiers but in combo this changes a bit. At this point however falcs and any of he normal counter Cuirassiers I have talked about will really slaughter the skirm Cuirassier combo. Keep goons, halbs or musk around your falcs and you can make short work of the Cuirassier/skirms. Now my memory might be failing me but I also believe musk and hussars also do quite well against this combo.

Anyways so my final conclusion is at all lvls of upgrade Cuirassier can be cost and pop efficiantly countered. They defintly are a strong and good unit, but not invicible as some seem to think. vs straight up Cuirassier; musk in melee, halbs, or goons with a meatshield all slaughter the Cuirassier. Vs Cuirassier Skirms combo, falcs with meatshield, or a well balanced armies do quite well.

SO not satified? Well you can look at the stats of the game here

And then You can also acturally watch all three hours of the game here!!!!! Watch at ur own risk If you are having difficulty countering cuis it should give you some ideas. Also I have to thank yobbo 100 times for doing this and taking up 3 hrs of his life.

Thanx, Mokon

Oh, yes and I also forgot. There is one thing I feel cuis need a nerf on, and that is raiding. Either make them do like.3 or .5 ab vs villagers, or remove their splash vs villies. Right now a couple cuis can end a game in seconds, and simply due to a stupid little mistake....

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • [This message has been edited by Mokon (edited 01-30-2006 @ 00:58 AM).]

Replies:
    posted 01-30-06 00:52 AM EDT (US)     1 / 45  
    Spellings everyone must learn:
    Cuirassier
    Gendarme
    Landsknecht
    Jaegers
    Oprichnik
    Bear (lol, I hope you know this one)

Also, just because a unit is good late game doesn't make it OP. Most games end (as in one player has definitely lost, whether the opponent has hunted every last unit yet is irrelevant) in age3 (occasionally 4). Rarely do games go age5 where cuirassier become what so many people call OP.

"The lembas had a virtue without which they would long ago have lain down to die. . . . this waybread of the Elves had a potency that increased as travelers relied on it alone and did not mingle it with other foods. It fed the will, and it gave strength to endure, and to master sinew and limb beyond the measure of mortal kind."

• "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" by J.R.R. Tolkien

• Hit 2100+ cuetech rating on Sunday, April 17th, 2006

[This message has been edited by LembasBread (edited 01-30-2006 @ 01:15 AM).]

posted 01-30-06 00:56 AM EDT (US)     2 / 45  

Quote:

Also, just because a unit is good late game doesn't make it OP. Most games end (as in one player has definitely lost, whether the opponent has hunted every last unit yet is irrelevant) in age3 (occasionally 4). Rarely do games go age5 where cuirassier become what so many people call OP.

Yes, and as one will see if they watch the rec even at that point in the game, they arent op, they are simply a good unit. Many units can counter them pop and cost efficiantly.

• [This message has been edited by Mokon (edited 01-30-2006 @ 00:59 AM).]

posted 01-30-06 01:05 AM EDT (US)     3 / 45  
    I kind of have to agree here. I have never found the cuirassier itself to be particularly overpowered(except one time when i was playing german and my gold mines kept getting extinguished by cuirassier raids). I've played against them and I've used them andthe only problem I really have with them is that the french economy makes producing them too easy. Its not that they're more cost effective than their counters, it's that the french player can afford so many of them that you can't usually produce enough counter units as one of the bottom 4 civs. Anything counters anything else in sufficient quantities and the french economy supplies sufficient quantities. What's odd is that it doesn't really supply sufficient quantities for other french units(no amount of french skirms produced will be able to counter someone massing hussars) so perhaps the cuirassier, although counterable, is still too good.
    posted 01-30-06 01:06 AM EDT (US)     4 / 45  
    Wow your a madman..3 hours^^. I dont think cuirs are OP that much..i will say the french villagers are overpowered tho. Most of the "Cuirs are OP" come from people who have played long games and say "OMG 50 Cuirs owns all". They do have good counters..and ya i agree cuirs are too powefull at raiding.
    posted 01-30-06 01:19 AM EDT (US)     5 / 45  

Quoted from TheZappa:

Wow your a madman..3 hours^^.

I've had longer "real" games that weren't staged to test units. This was back in AoM though (faster paced imo so it would translate to even longer in aoe3)

"The lembas had a virtue without which they would long ago have lain down to die. . . . this waybread of the Elves had a potency that increased as travelers relied on it alone and did not mingle it with other foods. It fed the will, and it gave strength to endure, and to master sinew and limb beyond the measure of mortal kind."

• "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" by J.R.R. Tolkien

• Hit 2100+ cuetech rating on Sunday, April 17th, 2006

posted 01-30-06 02:48 AM EDT (US)     6 / 45  
    What I want to know is why the French economy is so strong late game. I had 99 vils and I fishing ship boomed using schooners (as Spain) and was still outecoed right throughout. Curaiseers can be cost effectively countered, but they have so much money to begin with that it doesn't matter if it is cost effective or not, they just keep spamming them and eventually it wore me down especially when he bought in skirms. I could repel the forces (barely) but they left me with nothing to cunterattack.

ESO : Pcfreak8
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L. A. van de Snepscheu
    A pessimist is usually right and never disappointed.
    Any history buff knows that nothing stops a cannon like a good uppercut. - BeatnikJoe
    posted 01-30-06 05:42 AM EDT (US)     7 / 45  
    i don't think curissiers are op either i was versing some one and he massed curriesers i was also using french but i never got curissers. So anyway i had imp halbedeirs he had imp curriesers i absolutly slaughtered his curissiers and had 50%or more of my halbedeirs left nad that was without any micro. But then he got lots of cannons and started slaughtering my guys i cold have beat him with some culverins but i had to go have dinner and we where losing anyway but the point of my story is that curisiers are not good against there counters.
    posted 01-30-06 06:22 AM EDT (US)     8 / 45  

Quote:

What I want to know is why the French economy is so strong late game. I had 99 vils and I fishing ship boomed using schooners (as Spain) and was still outecoed right throughout. Curaiseers can be cost effectively countered, but they have so much money to begin with that it doesn't matter if it is cost effective or not, they just keep spamming them and eventually it wore me down especially when he bought in skirms. I could repel the forces (barely) but they left me with nothing to cunterattack.

Make sure you upgrade your economy and get trade routes ect.

• posted 01-30-06 11:11 AM EDT (US)     9 / 45  
    The problem is that the French eco is so strong that if they get gendarme Cuirassier before you can upgrade your goons its gg. They will slaughter your army in seconds with only losing a few units.

You put the Cuirassier on a weaker economy they are fine. I think that this has been proven already. I have np with the unit itself.

Alcohol, the cause and solution to all of lifes problems

Homer J

posted 01-30-06 11:54 AM EDT (US)     10 / 45  
    Just accept what Mokon says, lol. He's better than anyone here, you included, so read his posts and Learn, he is trying to help you. :P

Also try to visit other forums than hg, this is the only forum I've ever been to where most people think cuirs are op (mil-wise at least).

Greetings, I'm Synthax.
    SirKT 2k+ clan
    posted 01-30-06 12:21 PM EDT (US)     11 / 45  
    posted 01-30-06 12:32 PM EDT (US)     12 / 45  
    they can be countered, but they are OP. If used with the proper upgrades (French get 3 cards for cav upgrades) + Native trib upgrades (hp/atk + 20% speed) from tribes such as the ones on GP they are unstopable.

Its a 1vs1 game they are not that bad since you will rarely get to age IV, nevermind age V, but in large team games once a French player gets to age V he/she has a huge advantage.

posted 01-30-06 12:58 PM EDT (US)     13 / 45  
    The underlying strength of the cuirassiers that you didn't test here was the ability for a single stable/fort to put 15 pop units of military on the board in 40 seconds. Yes, I know you can build additional buildings, but that takes time and resources, too, and whatever you can do the French player can also duplicate.

There is also my other point (from my thread) that everyone agrees the ability to micro owns this game. By having more pop count in fewer units, you are able to more effectively micro your units with fewer actions from your fingers.

This same logic is also why mercs are so powerful in games. The point here is that Curassiers are almost too powerful to be normal troops, they act more like mercenaries (although not quite).

I've been playing the ottos a lot lately, trying to prove they can be a potent booming population. Last night I aged TO imperial in 12 minutes and had 2 factories on the ground within 14 (with bombards rolling at 15 minutes to backup the falconets from aging and streams of janissaries from my lovely economy). I was being raided by hussars/crossbowmen while this was happening. When he rolled in with skirms/falconets, I had janis(with combat)/bombards. Guess who won?

Against intermediate players, I've found it's tough to go imperial without suffering from raids. My cheeze is the efficent use of a fort for defending my economy and Spahi. 5 Spahi in age3 is RIDICULOUSLY overpowered, just FYI. I can hold off almost anything that comes at me within 12 minutes with just a fort and 5 spahi (and the occasional minutemen). What makes it even more hilarious is when I get enough wood treasures that I can ship abus guns instead of wood/boat going to age3.

The point I'm making here is that Curassiers are almost as powerful as Spahi, and Spahi are mercenaries you can buy with food. The point is.. the french get an endless supply of 'almost mercs' and the things that make mercs so efficient also apply (though on a lesser scale) to Curassiers.

I find it's VERY difficult to deal with the French Fast Fortress/Mercantilism that shows up with 11(4+2+5) Curassiers and 2 Falconets, or 6 Cuirassiers, 5 Dragoons, and 2 Falconets in <10 mins.

EDIT: But thanks for your time testing, it was well spent and I value the results. It also bolsters my opinion that micro/training efficiency of Cuirassiers is the underlying advantage they offer.

[This message has been edited by TechnoButt (edited 01-30-2006 @ 12:59 PM).]

posted 01-30-06 01:14 PM EDT (US)     14 / 45  

Quote:

they can be countered, but they are OP. If used with the proper upgrades (French get 3 cards for cav upgrades) + Native trib upgrades (hp/atk + 20% speed) from tribes such as the ones on GP they are unstopable.

ROFL, please watch the recorded game b4 you start saying that... those where one of the many varibles we tested

Quote:

The underlying strength of the cuirassiers that you didn't test here was the ability for a single stable/fort to put 15 pop units of military on the board in 40 seconds. Yes, I know you can build additional buildings, but that takes time and resources, too, and whatever you can do the French player can also duplicate.

While yes you are correct the tests did not look at this, it really is moot. If you have enof cuis to make 15 cuis in 40 seconds u obviously are in late game... at which point your enemy will have many raqs and stables.

Quote:

There is also my other point (from my thread) that everyone agrees the ability to micro owns this game. By having more pop count in fewer units, you are able to more effectively micro your units with fewer actions from your fingers.

Yes stronger units benifit more from micro, however while it is still very important to micro with melee units ranged units benifit much more.

Quote:

5 Spahi in age3 is RIDICULOUSLY overpowered, just FYI.

A couple of goons or BR take care of them, and while of course with a fort they are strong that is true with basicly any unit.

Falcs with a meatshield will counter that tho.

Quote:

The point I'm making here is that Curassiers are almost as powerful as Spahi, and Spahi are mercenaries you can buy with food. The point is.. the french get an endless supply of 'almost mercs' and the things that make mercs so efficient also apply (though on a lesser scale) to Curassiers.

Build HALBS! If someone is just massing cuis it is extremely easy to counter. Microed goons or massed halbs pwn em! You will be laughing all the way to the bank. And yes of course mixed with skirms they become better but just mix in falcs. That was the point of this game I posted... Watch the rec and it will become evident they can be countered cost effiently.

• posted 01-30-06 02:12 PM EDT (US)     15 / 45  
    Mokon, I think you missed my point. I'm not building 15 Cuirassiers in 40 seconds, I building 15 pop units of military (in the form of 5 Cuirassiers) in 40 seconds from my single stables, which is by definition early game (usually about 9 minutes into the game.. just after FF).

In that same 40 seconds, for example, the best Spain can do is build 10 pop units (in the form of 5 hussars or 5 lancers).

That same principle applies if you look at mulitple stables, later game, etc. The possibility of training Cuirassiers (and arguably, this same logic applies to War Wagons, although war wagons take better micro sklls). In other words, the trend doesn't break down until the game gets to a 'no rush' type situation where you are streaming units from multiple build facilities.

In the situation of resource wealth and multiple build facilities, the advantage presents as the ability to micro better in large scale battles (because you can control more population value in military with fewer player actions, because of the 'stronger' units that represent more population.. ie, the same as mercs).

My suggestion to reduce this inherent advantage in trainable units that take up more population slots, is to limit the training queue size by POPULATION count, not by unit count.

In other words. You should be able to train 15 pop1 units in a queue, 10 pop 2 units in a queue, and 5 pop 3 units in a queue.

I also think this is why falconet rushes are so strong. They are 4 pop units, so you can translate resources into 20! population units of military in 45 seconds. I think that is why falconet rushes are so successful. I watched a game recently between you and Black_Ice_Spain (french vs spanish), and this VERY principle of translating resources into military might quickly and efficiently is one of the reasons you almost beat him in your initial attack (you hit with 5 falconets+curs+goons - best I recall). It was nice that your meatshield was cavalry, but it could just as easily (and possibly more effectively in that situation) have been musketeers or halberds.. anything you could ship while you were building the falconets.

Does that make more sense?

posted 01-30-06 08:45 PM EDT (US)     16 / 45  
    Techno: that's a French econ problem, not a building effeciency problem. Are you going to complain that Brits can make 25 pop worth of falconets a cycle?

Cuirs are not OP, france econ is.

posted 01-30-06 08:51 PM EDT (US)     17 / 45  
    There will always be noobs that don't believe cuir are balanced.

I am a long-time believer that cuir are balanced, and I still stand by that.

Personally I think they should have a x.8 damage against cav, and that is it. They really aren't that bad, and right now I have 0 trouble countering them at vet level, and at gardener it is much harder but easily doable.

"Dutch are OP!"
    "Iriquois are OP!"
    "Stophon is OP!"

tEk Clan #1 US Clan
    posted 01-30-06 09:48 PM EDT (US)     18 / 45  
    Someone plz remind me to never rush the French again >.<
    posted 01-30-06 10:41 PM EDT (US)     19 / 45  

Quote:

Mokon, I think you missed my point. I'm not building 15 Cuirassiers in 40 seconds, I building 15 pop units of military (in the form of 5 Cuirassiers) in 40 seconds from my single stables, which is by definition early game (usually about 9 minutes into the game.. just after FF).
    In that same 40 seconds, for example, the best Spain can do is build 10 pop units (in the form of 5 hussars or 5 lancers).

Ok i miss read you but the same thing applies... That isnt going to really effect much at all. Early in the game even the best ppl arnt going to have constant production of cuis, u are going to have down time in the stables It plain old doenst really matter. Just because u can fill up 15 pop in 40 rather then 10 doesnt mean much at all. woot woot he built a few more then me. Wait 40 more seconds, and I have 10 more pop while he probably wont due to the cost of his cuis. I raraly in mid game que more then 3 up at a time they are so expensive.

Quote:

I also think this is why falconet rushes are so strong.

There is no such thing as a falconet rush... it would be a boom....

Quote:

They are 4 pop units, so you can translate resources into 20! population units of military in 45 seconds. I think that is why falconet rushes are so successful. I watched a game recently between you and Black_Ice_Spain (french vs spanish), and this VERY principle of translating resources into military might quickly and efficiently is one of the reasons you almost beat him in your initial attack (you hit with 5 falconets+curs+goons - best I recall). It was nice that your meatshield was cavalry, but it could just as easily (and possibly more effectively in that situation) have been musketeers or halberds.. anything you could ship while you were building the falconets.

Does that make more sense?

Nope... Just cause I can fill pop a little faster doesnt really make that much of a difference. Cost is what really matters, and Cuis certainly are not OP.

Here I have an idea show me a game which demostrates ur principle and I will explain why it isnt demostrated there.

• posted 01-30-06 11:17 PM EDT (US)     20 / 45  
    the ablity to make 5 cuirs at once is slightly op, it means you can save on the number of stables you need to have.

10 cuirs (2 stable) = 15 hussars (3 stable)

to make enough hussar against cuir at once you need 1 extra stable.

10 cuirs (2 stable) = 30 rods (6 rax)

to make enough rods to counter cuirs at once you need 4 extra barrack.

if battle pushes forward and back a lot and you build barracks/stables when ever you push forward or getting pushed back, then you need to build many extra barrack/stables compared to french.

posted 01-31-06 01:17 PM EDT (US)     21 / 45  
    It is rather easy to 'rush' an opponent with falconets and not boom. All you have to do is fast fortress, ship 1000 gold, and mine the 1000 gold you're normally use for mercantilism.

You can have 5+2 falconets (5 built, 2 shipped) on the ground in roughly 9 minutes. I don't know about you, but 7 falconets entering my base <10min certainly feels like a rush, especially if it has any company (ie, native rush, shipped cavalry, pikemen from spain, etc).

I'm not saying Cuirassiers are OP. I'm saying their primary benefits are the speed with which you can translate resources into to military popultion units combined with the reduced attention necessary to control units of higher pop count. When the discrete unit of control is a larger population count (and the game is balanced by population count), the 'larger' discrete unit has inherent efficiency from queue production and from micromanagement benefits.

For example.. if you could train 15 Grenadiers in the time it took you to trade 5 falconets, don't you think more people would play grenadiers?

Another example, if you could train 15 ruyters in the time it takes to train 5 curassiers, don't you think ruyters would benefit?

Would you rather have 15 ruyters on the board in three training cycles, or would you rather have 5 war wagons in one training cycle? Why? In theory, they are balanced in every way other than the queue size limitations and the difficulty of microing 15 units instead of 5.

posted 01-31-06 01:26 PM EDT (US)     22 / 45  

Quote:

It is rather easy to 'rush' an opponent with falconets and not boom. All you have to do is fast fortress, ship 1000 gold, and mine the 1000 gold you're normally use for mercantilism.
    You can have 5+2 falconets (5 built, 2 shipped) on the ground in roughly 9 minutes. I don't know about you, but 7 falconets entering my base <10min certainly feels like a rush, especially if it has any company (ie, native rush, shipped cavalry, pikemen from spain, etc).

9 mins into the game isnt a rush by any stretch.... Yes one has to attack at some point but thats just how war works. A rush hits around 5-6 mins.

Quote:

I'm not saying Cuirassiers are OP. I'm saying their primary benefits are the speed with which you can translate resources into to military popultion units combined with the reduced attention necessary to control units of higher pop count. When the discrete unit of control is a larger population count (and the game is balanced by population count), the 'larger' discrete unit has inherent efficiency from queue production and from micromanagement benefits.

Well then if they arnt op whats the big deal? Different units play differently, just simple game design. The thing is as a french player I really just reserve cuis for raids, otherwise id much rather have goons and cannons.

Quote:

For example.. if you could train 15 Grenadiers in the time it took you to trade 5 falconets, don't you think more people would play grenadiers?

No, that change is moot. How often do u build 5 falcs at once? Almost never is the answer. cost is what matters the most...

• posted 01-31-06 04:09 PM EDT (US)     23 / 45  
    When I was 9 years old I had a 23 hour game versus two allied "Hardest" AI players. It was spaced over 6 days. I won.

P.S.-I also had many shorter victories at that difficulty level.

AOE III/TWC: 1st Lieutenant
    TAD: Master Sergeant (~30 Games Played)

[This message has been edited by EmperorPatrick (edited 01-31-2006 @ 04:10 PM).]

posted 01-31-06 04:35 PM EDT (US)     24 / 45  
    Interesting points TechnoButt.

I'll maintain that I do not think Cuirassiers are overpowered until large, late game battles. In 1v1 this may not happen very often, if ever. But in team games this can happen more often.

http://www.agecommunity.com/stats/GameStats.aspx?loc=en-US&GameID=b2a661d0-867b-904e-a0b5-8a9ab9dc0d12&md=ZS_Supremacy

I never made it to imperial so my pikes were a level below the cuirassiers we were facing. Still, with 1000 pikes, I killed only 247 enemy units. Building cannon didn't help me since the cuirs would defeat them much quicker than I could defeat enemy cannons.

Our team won simply because one of the other players (Diced) quit. fleury81's econ was incredible and easily allowed him to build many cuirassiers. When cuirassiers win a big battle they can move on and quickly do econ damage. Their counters aren't as effective at doing econ damage after a victory.

Late game Cuirassiers because of their strength and speed combined with the french econ are hard to counter and then follow up the battle by doing econ damage to the french player.

posted 01-31-06 11:48 PM EDT (US)     25 / 45  
    Let me rephrase.

You can build 3 falconets, which I suggest is the number that *you* most often build, starting with 1-2 and adding the third before the queue is complete. Occasionally going to 4 if you can hit your market in time to adjust the resources.

In the same 45 seconds, with the same 1500 resources, tell me how you can translate resources to the board as quickly and efficiently?

Grenadier, queue of 5, is only 900 of your resources (although, 30 seconds of BT). YOu'd have to queue a second batch, and wait 15 extra seconds (total time) for the additional 3-4 to train and translate your 1500 resources into military power.

I'm not arguing symantics with you about wether or not an attack at 9mins is a rush. I think the majority of players (not neccessarily the cream of the crop, play every single RTS game that hits the genre, 500+ played games players, would feel that an attack that hits quickly and with devastating force prior to when you would expect it is a rush).

Unless I native rush I rarely attack in 9 minutes, and I'd like to see more of your replays where you actually enter and attack the enemy base in less than 9 minutes without a native rush. I think most of us consider FF/Mercantilism a rush tactic, trading 2-3 minutes of game time for a vastly superior force to the T2 rush.

I know when I see 5-7 falconets at the 9 minute mark, I'm like wow, that's fast (isn't that the whole point of a rush?).

My current strat that I'm trying to tweak for better players is an Ottoman FF/FI, where I'm trying to defend through fortress with fort overwatch+spahi to hi imperialism at ~12-13 mins and drop a pair of factories to do a bombard rush.

I did this recently in a game and hit with 25 Janis+5bombards+2falconets at the 14 minute mark, which is a game deciding attack. I was being raided by xbows and hussars (although by not a very efficient player).

He also had the misfortune of walking his merc+falconet army into my massed troops and I got the first shot off wiht bombards (which ultimately decided the battle and the game).

I'm not sure that there's a thin black line that determines what is a rush, what is a turtle, and what is a fast fortress. I see them more as a continuum with suggestive grey areas.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » The Three Hour Game, 800 Cuirassier
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames