Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: BeasT_69's French FF Guide
posted 02-04-06 12:07 PM EDT (US)   
BeasT_69’s French FF Guide

Cards Needed: 3 villies, 700 gold, 2 falconets age 3, at least 1 mercenary card, preferably more
Recommended Cards: 700 food,Hire Swiss Pikeman, Hire Hessian Jaegers, Hire German Black Riders, Hire Landshnekt(sp?),Team Hand Cavalry Attack, Team Hand Cavalry Hitpoints
The French are very good at performing an FF. In this guide I will show you how to advance before 8 mins to Fortress, I usually have about a 7:30 ish time. With this strat you can usually have 2 falconets 7 skirmishers and 5 cuirs in the base by 10:00.

The Build Order
Initial Villies collect FOOD crates first and tthen the other ones, when finished hunt and one build a house then hunt.

Build villies until you have 11 villies hunting, but in the middle of building these villagers you should get a shipment, send the 3 villager card to hunting. So now when it arrives you should have enough or almost enough food to advance, if you don’t, wait for it. So you have 14 hunters. Click Colonial ASAP, Age up with Quartermaster .

While aging up take 4 hunters and put them on gold and take 2 more and put them on wood.

Ok you’ve reached colonial hopefully around 4:30-ish now take your two wood villies and gather the wood and then build a barracks and stable and house, you should have a shipment available pretty soon or already have one. Send the 700 Gold Card, when it arrives have 2 of your gold miners collect it, throughout this process you should be producing villagers, not too many, but a little. To whichever resource you want, gold is best though, faster time. So after the crates are collected send the villies back to their resources.

So now after collecting the crates you probably have enough or almost enough to advance, just wait for the gold to come in and then advance with the 7 skirmisher Politician.

Now youre in the fortress age early and you have a shipment available ore close to available, so send the 2 falconet card.
While the falconets are arriving build 5 cuiraissers out of your stable. And keep producing villagers, never stop, have them go onto whichever resource you need the most.

When the falconets arrive you will have 7 skirmishers, 5 cuiraissers and 2 falconets to attack with. So attack the enemy. Hopefully he will have mostly infantry but if cavalry your cuiraissers can defeat them. You should be producing muskets out of your barracks now and sending them to reinforce your men. Upgrade them to veteran.
Now that I’ve helped you get this far the game is all your call now.

Scenarios

The enemy rushes you: usually this wont be a problem since you will have plenty of resources and a barracks and a stable, but if you’ve already spent all your resources on advancing because he had a slow rush, then micro your villies to fire and run away, but keep a lot in the TC so that he is being fired on by the tc and your villies, another thing you can do is every time the town center fires un-garrison everyone and fire with them then garrison them back up really quickly, so you’ll probably beat him if he rushes you.

The Enemy goes FF and comes out with merc’s:If this happens then you must not attack him with your 7 skirms, 5 cuiraissers, and 2 falconets, instead switch most of your villies to gold and get enough for merc’s of your own and then scout ahead with someone and then attack.

Tips and Tricks
-If you’re being attacked and all of your villager or some are garrisoned, then wait for the TC to shoot, then ungarrison and shoot with the villies then regarrison and let the TC shoot and just repeat this over and over
- Use our villies as light infantry , they can be very annoying to an attacker, just micro them as you would skirms, only attempt this as French
-Build your houses close together around your TC but leaving enough room for a villager to get through, that way an attacker can get a lot less hits in because everyone cant find a spot to attack from

-Build your barracks and stable to the side or back of your TC so that you can produce military in the middle of a battle without it being a waste and so that it isn’t the first building to be destroyed.

This has been my guide on how to FF with the French, hope you liked 

Replies:
posted 02-04-06 01:28 PM EDT (US)     1 / 27  
4:30ish colonial you can have 12+3 CdBs...
posted 02-04-06 02:23 PM EDT (US)     2 / 27  
While it may not be the best strategy for french, it is definetly a good one, early cannons can cause havoc for someone who is slow with their mercs or does not go them at all.

"Dutch are OP!"
"Iriquois are OP!"
"Stophon is OP!"

tEk Clan #1 US Clan
posted 02-04-06 03:12 PM EDT (US)     3 / 27  
thx stophon and plebus i only use 14 vills because in the long run it shaves 30 secs off my fortress time
posted 02-04-06 03:15 PM EDT (US)     4 / 27  
Except the 15th villager would be collecting food or gold throughout the advance, which would probably shave just as much time off.

|Ca_aok|HG Seraph wannabe|
|{ca_aok@hotmail.com}|
|{ESO2: [EEX] ca_aok}|
O-- Member of EEX, and former member of LKS --O
In the Darkness, there is Light, in the Old, there is New.
From the Void a New Star rises, Shining down for Me and You.
posted 02-04-06 04:08 PM EDT (US)     5 / 27  
try the strategy and you will see
posted 02-04-06 05:39 PM EDT (US)     6 / 27  
It saves time going 14, maybe *about* 20 seconds in the advance.

Going 15 will give you 1 extra villager + constnat vil producition.

You go 16 if you want heavy on early atps.

"Dutch are OP!"
"Iriquois are OP!"
"Stophon is OP!"

tEk Clan #1 US Clan
posted 02-04-06 05:55 PM EDT (US)     7 / 27  
With my French FF, i usually use 16 villies. This gets me into Colonial at 4:50 with 2 TP's (so i now have constant shipments and villie production).

I've got a question for some people who play against French FF's: Which would hurt you more? 2 falconets 7 skirmishers and 5 cuirs in the base by 10:00 (32 pop)(IBeasT_69's strategy) or 2 falconets, 16 skirms, 4 cuirs and 20 halbs, 8 xbows and 10 musks in the base by 12:30 (76 pop)?

^This is an important question for me. in that 2:30 would you have been able to build up enough defences to repel my FF (with a semi-raid), or would the larger army defeat you whereas the weaker one wouldn't?

By the way, i don't use mercenary cards, and i would use the 8 xbows and 10 musks to either 1. Defend a rush or 2. Semi rush at 7min to raid and pressure you, so that my FF will do more damage.

posted 02-04-06 09:18 PM EDT (US)     8 / 27  
Nice strat, thats usualy what i do when im not on great plain. I mostly use 15 settler for my FF. The 14 settler is better for your great plain OP native cav rush/spam. The best part was the scenario, when he attack you with merc or whatever is very useful to know for beginer.

"It is like a finger pointing away to the moon do not concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."
- Bruce Lee
posted 02-05-06 08:29 PM EDT (US)     9 / 27  
nice strat man

tEkNIQUE CLAN
an ever evolving technique
posted 02-05-06 10:06 PM EDT (US)     10 / 27  
gj beast

Check out my YouTube Page!
ESO - LO12DS_Fry
posted 02-05-06 10:39 PM EDT (US)     11 / 27  
Black rider merc spam can put some hurt on this strat, so be careful with that.
posted 02-06-06 01:45 AM EDT (US)     12 / 27  
Excellent guide, Beast. This should help a lot of players to pull off a basic French FF.

One thing that works very well is after you have the 5 cuirassiers building at the stable, switch all your vils to coin, build a church and get mercantilism. That way you can follow up with 9 skirms + 7 skirms + 4 cav + mercs if you want them + whatever you actually build.

posted 02-06-06 08:09 AM EDT (US)     13 / 27  
i like to begin raiding

send the 3 hussars card and raid him hard

the micromanaging is very important

I like to go trade posts too so that the shipments come in real quick in Fortress age. Its a different strategy. But i believe that if its microed correctly. It will be much more effective.

posted 02-06-06 10:01 AM EDT (US)     14 / 27  
What exactly is a Black Rider Merc Spam? Seeing that you can only send the card once.

Alcohol, the cause and solution to all of lifes problems

Homer J

posted 02-06-06 10:21 PM EDT (US)     15 / 27  
i think he just mean a merc spam, i was trying it with germans and it is ok but you have a weak economy because mercs take up so much population u have no room for villies
posted 02-07-06 09:22 PM EDT (US)     16 / 27  
BeasT_69,

I am creating a walkthrough for Age of Empires 3 and enjoyed your strategy posted at the top of this page and wondered if I could post it in my walkthrough. I would, of course, give all the credit and copyright to you, and advertise this site, if you wish.

You can reach me at apollos.heat@gmail.com. But please dont try to reach me here, for I probebly wont find it.

If anybody else has a strategy, hints and tips, or anything they want to add, I would be thrilled to put it in (and I would give credit, of course). Even if you might think its crap, I would still like to see it.

Thank you for your time.

posted 02-07-06 09:43 PM EDT (US)     17 / 27  

Quoted from Seancahn:

What exactly is a Black Rider Merc Spam? Seeing that you can only send the card once.

Wrong, you can send the merc card twice(o_0), yep. When you use a merc card from the II - III - IV age in imperial(V) age it because resuble once. Still youve already won or lost before using it twice so...

"It is like a finger pointing away to the moon do not concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."
- Bruce Lee

[This message has been edited by ChowMein (edited 02-07-2006 @ 09:52 PM).]

posted 02-07-06 09:51 PM EDT (US)     18 / 27  
Sorry, I am kind of new, what is an FF? A forward fortress, fast forward?
posted 02-08-06 06:29 PM EDT (US)     19 / 27  
lol u got half an half its fast fortress
posted 02-08-06 06:57 PM EDT (US)     20 / 27  
Thanks, I tried it out and got 8:00min.
posted 02-08-06 10:08 PM EDT (US)     21 / 27  
I like it man. The French have unique abilities.
posted 02-15-06 10:19 PM EDT (US)     22 / 27  
i really like this. thanks. i'll be sure to check it out.
posted 03-13-06 01:34 AM EDT (US)     23 / 27  
I like this stratagy, but i can't ever get enough coin to make 5 cuirassier. And... With the patch 1.05 you can't age up with 500 wood! Some how you need to modify this so it will work better with patch 1.05. Another thing, the enemy always seems to have to many towers for me to over come and my cuirassiers die. Then my skims die along with my cannons. I am I doing something wrong?

ESO:Peter_The_Great_

"Forgive you enemies, it messes up their heads."

posted 03-13-06 07:07 PM EDT (US)     24 / 27  
Quick question

Would it be better to save the three villies shipment and then age up with the 500 food to speed the fortress time?
Your second shipment (after 700 gold), the one you didn't use on villies, could be used on the 700 wood to build tp's, a barracks and some houses. I have found that this allows for a mcch quicker ff time (~6:30, 7 min) and doesn't hurt your economy that much as you can keep pumping villies out during colonial without worrying that you won't have enough food to age when the gold arrives.
This is the current strat i use and it seemes to work fine.
Any comments or criticisms?

posted 03-13-06 09:27 PM EDT (US)     25 / 27  
@bandboy- ok if your cannons dioe to towers something smessd up, or does he have units, if he has units or w/e and u feel you cant win, back out and add on to your force

@exodus- whatever works for you

posted 11-27-06 08:05 PM EDT (US)     26 / 27  
this is an awsome strat. im 10 and 1 with this thxs a lot!
posted 11-28-06 00:52 AM EDT (US)     27 / 27  
Whiteclaw the Warlock -- Diabolical Master of Resurrection!!
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » BeasT_69's French FF Guide
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames