3. How it Works
3.1 Cards
3.2 In the Beginning
3.3 Following the Turtle
4. Watch out for Weaknesses
5. What to do when all is Quiet
6. Conclusion

1. Overview

The British are a powerful civilization in Age of Empires III. However, their weak start makes them vulnerable to quick attacks. Unless you're a deft 'boomer,' finding the 'happy medium' between under-booming given lack of pressure, and over-booming, you need a firm grasp of the simple strategy of turtling.

2. Why the Militia Turtle?

There are just a few reasons for the British Militia Turtle (which I'll call BMT for short). However, they are profound.
First and foremost, the BMT relies on minutemen for defensive countermeasures. This is significant because there is no wood required. This leaves wood free for building those expensive British manors, allowing you a safe, albiet minor, housing boom.
Because minutemen train so quickly, you need not send for them until your enemy is right on top of you. This, coupled with the fact that they can go over the population limit, saves you room for settlers without fear of being unable to summon them.

2.1 Looking at numbers

So let's quantify the advantages. Let's say you instead want to use longbowmen for defense. You'd like 10 of them. The cost of 10 longbowmen is 600 food and 400 wood, or, 1200 resources. You'll also need two houses, because each will provide 9 population slots (the villager you get when you build a manor uses one slot.) That's another 300 wood. In addition, you'll need a barracks, so tack on another 250 wood. We've reached a grand total of 600 food, and 950 wood. That's 1,550 resources; enough to age up and have some left over. Also, assuming you have enough resource flow to continuously train the two groups of five, it will take 60 seconds for 10 longbowmen. Minutemen require 550 food and 550 coin, or, 1100 resources, and do not require wood or housing. Minutemen have 105 more hitpoints than longbowmen, although they have a hipoint reduction of about 4 hp per second. Calling all minutemen takes 5 seconds total. That's a difference of 450 resources, 57 seconds, and 105 hitpoints per unit. Longbowmen have other helpful uses, but if you never need them, you'll save resources.

3. How it Works

Now let's get to the game. The main focus of this strategy is to reach the Colonial age and collect enough resources for the minutemen as fast as you can, with 'Colonial Militia' (more about cards soon). This will give you a solid defence for the initial rush
skirmish, and lead into a safe boom mid Colonial age and into the Fortress age.
What makes Colonial Militia such a great turtle card? In addition to more minutemen, it increases town center attack by 50%. Wow! That, with 10 settlers garrisoned in it, will kill strelets, pikemen, rodeleros, crossbowmen, and halberdiers in one hit. Cossacks, Jannisaries, and Abus Guns take two.
If you're looking for a defined, set build order, you'll be dissapointed. This is intended to adapt to different enemy civilizations, maps, allies, and the placement of resources. Also keep in mind this is not the best strategy for any situation. The afforementioned variables will determine if it is a good idea to use the BMT. You will have to expiriment with the BMT and become familiar with its gameplay to adequately judge whether it is ideal or not in different aspects of the game. Moreover, check your opponents deck. It's often easy to anticipate what he will do based on the cards he plays. If the deck doesn't look like it will rush, save the BMT for later and use a different strat. Scouting is also a must. If your explorer is not getting treasure, have him take a walk through the enemy town. You'll learn a lot.

3.1 Cards

The required cards are as follows: Colonial Militia, 3 villagers, Frontier Defenses, 700 coin, 6 Longbowmen.
My suggested cards are as follows: Yeomen, 700 wood, 1000 coin, Hire Scottish Highlanders, 2 falconets Age III, Factory, Robber Barons, Fencing School.
'Good Idea' cards: Estates, Hire Hessian Jaegers, The Glorious Revolution

3.2 In the Beginning

Now let's put these ideas to action. Initially, I like to just hunt in Discovery age, building however many houses my starting cords allow. Depending on how threatened I feel, I'll train 2-5 settlers. I like to age up pretty darn fast, cause I think staying in Discovery too long will warrant an attack. By being quick to age two I hope to delay the fight. I send for the 3 settlers card, and age up with the Governor. Grab Colonial Militia along the way. I could also use the philosopher to fuel a few settlers when I hit Colonial. You could choose the Governor, get the extra coin, and use the tower to watch a choke point. It's all up to you.
When I hit Colonial, I'll put all or most on coin. BMT says '550 food, 550 coin, right now.' I get enough by about 5:50 or so. You're all set! The rest is up to you. This strat is that first 5 minutes.

3.3 Following the Turtle

So whether or not you get attacked, then what? Start getting your eco going, and if you have used you minutemen, get some longbows trained, or whatever to counter enemy units. Towers are a huge help for alerting you of armies. Be prepared for 'wave two.'

4. Watch out for Weaknesses

There is no perfect strategy, and the BMT is no exception. Early raids with cavalry will pose a huge challege for your slow, hp-losing minutemen. Be careful. If you expect raiding, drop a barracks and train roughly 5 longbows. Keep your settlers close to home, or use an outpost wagon or two to secure resources.
Also, if your opponent decides to throw Black Rider mercenaries into your base at 8 minutes, this too will also pose a big threat. My suggestion, if you see a Black Rider card in his deck, is to age up quickly with the 700 coin shipment and get some dragoons trained, or if you have the cash, hire the highlanders. You'll won't exactly destroy him, but he will be much more concerned with protecting his expensive mercenaries than killing a few Dragoons, and highlanders counter Black Riders well.

5. What to do When all is Quiet

There will come the time in which it's quiet.... too quiet. In that case, age up to fortress. If you get attacked, don't be afraid to cancel it to defend yourself. British don't get any good Fortress politicians, so you won't gain much by holding out in an attack.
Get a barracks and train longbows, or whatever you need. They are excellent Colonial and Fortress units. Yeomen is a must, as well as the veteran upgrade.

6. Conclusion

I hope all of you British players find this useful, and for everyone else, I encourage you to try the British. Although they start slow, what they lose in speed, they gain in stamina. Thank you for reading my guide to the "British Militia Guide." May you PWN with it.

[This message has been edited by OpenAmp (edited 03-25-2006 @ 00:15 AM).]

Replies:
posted 02-23-06 04:23 AM EDT (US)     1 / 27  
Well, calling out minutemen is a no-brainer when you're getting rushed.

So I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say here. That you should not use longbowmen for cololial defenses and that you should use the "colonial militia" card?

ESO: Pagasaeus
posted 02-23-06 04:33 AM EDT (US)     2 / 27  
Nice strat kinda reminds me of ceres's a bit, but walling off really would help this cus if they hav melee infantry wall in ur minuteman and own them and try to go to 3rd while there getting ranged infantry probaly thinking u will stay in 2nd but i guess u weren't makn a B.O. But this strat is very vulnerable to otto and other rushes such as pike rush cus there in the base before 6min. If you hav the resources for the minuteman by 6min thats a bit slow by my calculation if i was otto i could have 15jans in ur base by that time and already killd vills and kept them garrisoned so u wouldnt be getting the resources for them. But i have found brits to be a very fun civ and are not very hard to learn you just have to learn when to stop house booming. Also why wouldn't you get jaeger didvision instead of 12 u can hav 15 imho thats a bit better it's only 300 more gold. Very nice layout to and WOW colonial militia with ten vills in tc kill pikes, rods and xbowman in one shot that is way kool even jans in 2 i'm gonna have to try that with french op vill u could fight off most rushes with good garrisoning micro. They are a very good civ i have to say longbow raid at start repel merc ff for a bit with walls and get ur jaeger army and falcs and then go to 4th and pwn. This was just a cooment plz no one start talking about what's a wall going to do vs landsk and all that crap don't wanna hear it i was just saying that if u build walls properly that can be a very good turtle civ especially if they think ur gonna keep rushing which no xpert should cus it's brits.

Every new beginning come’s from another beginnings end
posted 02-23-06 05:14 AM EDT (US)     3 / 27  
Not to keen on this i am afraid, if you work on it you will find you can get to colonial about 4:30 with brits which ain't bad. You can usually tell if your gonna get rushed, so if you think you are send the 2 towers and make a few yourself maybe, i kno i hate when i encounter towers, makes it damn hard to rush.

Once you have your towers up just pump out say 10 longbows and 10 musketeers when you get the resources. It is really good having longbows as you can fire upon the enemy before he is in range of your towers then retreat back and watch his men fall as he weighs up the pros and cons of whether to take down the tower or attack your men.

Doing this doesnt harm your eco TO much, makes it about the same as most civs at that point. A few pikes to ward off any cav may be a good idea vs germans.

Me Grimlock no kisser, me king!!
He is right Predacons unite!
Decepticons. Prepare to face, Fortress Maximus
posted 02-23-06 11:48 AM EDT (US)     4 / 27  
basically, it gives you an extremely effective counter-rush without the cost of any wood. its just for that first attack of a rusher. obviously, minutemen will not be your main army.

thanks for the input, ninth_wonder06. remember, 5:50 is the time to be able to get resources for both minutemen techs. i can call Levy almost immidiately, or just Conscript a little sooner with 400 each. and i feel sorry for pike rushes since they'll drop with one hit. as for the wall, it's not a bad idea. of course people can change this around to suit their liking.

just wanted to show people there is one more option for tutrling.

posted 02-23-06 12:38 PM EDT (US)     5 / 27  
meh, i stopped reading at this point.

Quote:

The British are one of the most powerful civilizations in Age of Empires III

clearly you have never played as spain/otto/french/german.

Eso: scuzz
posted 02-23-06 01:15 PM EDT (US)     6 / 27  
I have been considering for some time constructing a small square wall around my TC and having my minute men inside so that only ranged units can damage them - saving their quickly declining HP.

Your strat works pretty good i guess, but im not sure if it will work quite as well with the Dutch. I usually tower up hardcore and go heavy on wood so that any chance of a raid is quickly lessened.

Might consider using minute men more though.

posted 02-23-06 01:16 PM EDT (US)     7 / 27  
Good idea, ont thing though is that you should scout/check his deck and try to discover his strat before sending the colonial militia card because it's a waste if he doesn't rush.

@Bloto: your right but the brits are ok vs dutch and definitely vs Russia and Port so he should be allowed to make a slightly inaccurate statement without you condemning his entire strategy

posted 02-23-06 01:43 PM EDT (US)     8 / 27  
i did not condem it, i just didnt read it.

and yes, brits MAY WELL be ok vs the bottom 4 civs, they are all as weak as eachother. whats your point?

posted 02-23-06 02:00 PM EDT (US)     9 / 27  
@bloto "clearly you have never played as spain/otto/french/german"

clearly you have never played as british.

jose, read the last parargraph of "how it works." as i said, the BMT isn't useful for every situation.

whoever stopped reading in the middle or skimmed it shouldn't comment on it.

@napoleon: this is meant for the british

posted 02-23-06 02:18 PM EDT (US)     10 / 27  
i have played as british, i have played against british. the latter is considerably easier.

posted 02-26-06 11:48 PM EDT (US)     11 / 27  
See bloto why comment on that obviously you just find the easiest and the most powerful civ and find weaker civs to vs thats what it sounds like who cares if they are maybe a bit UP they are a fun civ that can still beat germans, french and spanish if used right maybe you should get good with them instead of just tryn them once and losing and never trying them again. It is people like you who make most of the noobs pick french, germans or spanish cus they see there OP 'o wow' they must be strong a guy on this site said they are the top civ we'll pick them straight away and off go probaly more merc ff'ers. So please if you havn't even played that many games wit brits don't comment on something you have no idea about look at ceres and who he beat with brits he was a god with them(lol) have to refer him to something cus he's gone now and no more good tips for brits from him.

posted 02-27-06 01:53 AM EDT (US)     12 / 27  
never build units if you're turtling unless you know what they've got and build the effective counter. and colonial militia? terrible idea. TC fire, your one tower and the six longbowen card is usually enough. Your explorer exists for a reason, run him into the enemies base and scope out what he's building. Hussar rush? send musks or build pikes. Pike/Jan+abus rush? well, bows for pikes and jans+abus, but really good luck against the ottos. Its irritating getting hammered by a lame otto rush.
Its pointless making 20 longbows if you get hit by lots of Hussars. Chances are it was because he was scouting you and you as a turtler didn't scout him. A huge mistake. Those resources could have been better used in booming or working towards fortress.

Tonight we dance, for tomorrow they release the dogs.

ESO2. I'm not that great.

posted 02-27-06 03:34 AM EDT (US)     13 / 27  
@doctorgonzo

boy, you sure a moron, aren't you?

1. i SAID this isn't effective against everything.

2. i used the example of longbowen to show why they are NOT good for turtling and why minutemen are BETTER. how could you have possibly mixed that up?!

3. so i forgot to mention scouting. but did i really have to include that? you seemed to have figured that part out all by yourself. good job!

think before you flame. did you even bother to read this beyond just scanning through it and misinterpreting and missing it's main points?

posted 02-27-06 03:47 AM EDT (US)     14 / 27  

Quote:

Are you being serious ??

Quote:

My suggested cards are as follows: Yeomen, 700 wood, 1000 coin, Hire Scottish Highlanders, 2 falconets, Factory, Robber Barons, Fencing School

Huge mistake to pick Highlanders over Jaegers. Highlanders are one of, if not the, weakest mercenary cards there is. Jaegers are on the top of the list.

Quote:

Also, if your opponent decides to throw Black Rider Mercenaries into your base at 8 minutes, this too will also pose a big threat. My suggestion is to age up quickly with the 700 coin shipment and get a shipment of Dragoons

How would you do that ?? As far as I know, British have no cards to ship Dragoons

Points for the effort - but seriously, it needs some work.

TORDENSKIOLD(1690-1720)

During the Great Nordic War (1700-1720), he was commander of the danish navy, which defeaded the swedish army at Kristiania (modern Oslo). After the war, he was killed in a duel on Nov. 12, 1720 just outside Hamburg, Germany, during a travel to England.

ESO: TORDENSKIOLD
posted 02-27-06 04:03 AM EDT (US)     15 / 27  

Quote:

colonial militia? terrible idea.

doctorgonzo, with a statement like that, I doubt if you have ever used that card. I'm not going to waste time trying to convice you of its worth. Instead I challenge you to try using it next time you're up against a rush. In fact, let me give you a build order:

13 vils
age II
ship militia
ship 700g or 700f
if they attack, send militia

Do that. Then come back here and try saying it's not one of the best cards there is.

agecommunity quote of the month Ok i have payed for this game for al my moneythat i get in a month so when i go online isee these 9 year old kids that beat me that have played for 2 weeks and i have played since release of vanilla so im pretty pissed of that es dosent want to do anything about the balance of the game.
posted 02-27-06 04:15 AM EDT (US)     16 / 27  
i'm totally serious.

i realized a while ago brits don't get goon shipments. i need to change that.

highlanders are just a suggestion. that's it. a suggestion. they have a ranged attack of 63. that's nothing to sneeze at. plus they have like double hitpoints.

so basically, this needs work because of a factual error, a flawed suggestion, and an opinion. wow. but if that isn't it, back up your statement with reasons.

posted 02-27-06 04:22 AM EDT (US)     17 / 27  
Well, TBH it is hard to take something seriously which contents factual error, a flawed suggestion, and an (biased)opinion.

Most people who have actually played British and have knowledge of balance issues would disagree with your statements.

Still, it is nice to see people working on strategies but seriously, please don't include things that most people know to be factually wrong

It makes your whole work look kind of sloppy.

TORDENSKIOLD(1690-1720)

During the Great Nordic War (1700-1720), he was commander of the danish navy, which defeaded the swedish army at Kristiania (modern Oslo). After the war, he was killed in a duel on Nov. 12, 1720 just outside Hamburg, Germany, during a travel to England.

posted 02-27-06 04:30 AM EDT (US)     18 / 27  
i'd like to know what makes my opinion biased.

so i said goons get shipped when they don't. does that REALLY negate this entire thing? is this whole guide ruined cause brits don't get goons shipped? with that one flaw do i become stripped of all credibility?

you quibble too much. go find fallacies where there are ones.

posted 02-27-06 04:34 AM EDT (US)     19 / 27  

Quote:

So please if you havn't even played that many games wit brits don't comment on something you have no idea about

i have not played all that many games with brits (compared to my spain), i have played only 20, i won 17. im not complaining about brits becuase i loose with them, im not even complaning about brits. but brtiain are clearly not one of the strongest civs.

sure, ceres was a good brit player, name one other? the fact is no 2k+ play as brits, and the ones who do loose alot more.

posted 02-27-06 05:05 AM EDT (US)     20 / 27  

Quote:

i'd like to know what makes my opinion biased.

Quote:

Since most experts, top players and other with some knowledge of the game consider British to be among the 2-3 weakest civs and this being backed by British have the worst win % by far, I think what makes your opinion biased is quit obvious

TORDENSKIOLD(1690-1720)

posted 02-27-06 05:44 AM EDT (US)     21 / 27  
This start will slow u down to much , enemy just has to fake a rush , goes FF , merc and cannons GG
posted 02-27-06 09:35 AM EDT (US)     22 / 27  
i dont believe in that colonial militia card
first they cost 1800 recources instead of 1100 ( 1100 recources + a card which is worth 700 res in t2)
yeah its still a bit cheaper then building an army but all ur opponent has to do is retreat till ur minuteman have 1 hp and you just wasted 1800 rescources to nothing
maybe it is good with portugal since you can use it 2/3 times and the +50% tc attack affects ur 2/3 tc but i woulndt use it with other civs
posted 02-27-06 09:55 AM EDT (US)     23 / 27  
Colonial militia are too expensive in my oppinion. It might be better if someone rushes you, but in my oppinion you are going to make a barracks, so you might as well make one. You can use longbows later on the game, so you may as well make a few. You don't need 20 to defend a colonial rush, 10 or even 5 shall do.
posted 02-27-06 02:02 PM EDT (US)     24 / 27  

Quote:

boy, you sure a moron, aren't you?

1. i SAID this isn't effective against everything.

2. i used the example of longbowen to show why they are NOT good for turtling and why minutemen are BETTER. how could you have possibly mixed that up?!

3. so i forgot to mention scouting. but did i really have to include that? you seemed to have figured that part out all by yourself. good job!

think before you flame. did you even bother to read this beyond just scanning through it and misinterpreting and missing it's main points?

@OpenAmp:

It sounds like you can't take constructive criticism. Did I ever flame you? The most that could be construed as a flame was that using Colonial Militia was a terrible idea. I wasn't at all confused about why you seem to think that a temporary, hp losing minuteman is so much better than a longbowman, an anti-infantry non-hp losing unit with long range and a ridiculous amount of versatility in the early stages of the game.
Some players really don't scout. Though you may take for granted that you scout, and good players scout, but it is an important part of turtling, or any strategy that people just don't do sometimes.
I fail to see in any part of my post where I flamed anyone. There is no utterance of any derogatory words and the worst that has been said was terrible, but in reference to a card, not you. So if you would like to continue calling me a moron because I don't agree with you, then think before you flame.

@Jaafit:

I'd rather send the resources and continue booming. If I scouted properly, I'd know what units he was building and use the resources to build a real army, not one that dies after a while. I'd even be saving myself a shipment.

Tonight we dance, for tomorrow they release the dogs.

ESO2. I'm not that great.

posted 02-27-06 09:10 PM EDT (US)     25 / 27  
Well, one thing i have to say is that by no way are highlander the crapest merc corsair's are highlander have huge hp and are very good at defending art+ attacking. Well the reason i see no 2k+ players playing brits them is cus most people play french and to beat french playing against xperts at the moment i would say that it would be a lot easier to use french, germans or spanish but unlike ceres he wanted to do it the hard way and use the civ he actually wanted too instead of just using french etc.etc. Thats the reason i think that not many players play brits but please give ur opinion. By the way i would rather just build a rax for defence cus it can be used later game too, but he's just trying to show another way to stop a rush as brits and not having to build a rax and mayb a tp or houses instead these are the kinda of people we want who TRY to mka new strats and not just follow the old ones.

posted 03-05-06 05:49 PM EDT (US)     26 / 27  
This Message is directed too OpenAmp.

Hi. I found your British Militia Turtle guide and found it great! As you probebly know, I've been going around to people asking permission to use their strat inside my Age of Empires 3 walkthrough, and I would like to use your strat in it. I would give all the credit to you and include the link where the original can be found (being this page).

My walkthrough will be located at Gamefaqs.com, Neoseeker.com, and this site. It can also be found at any other site that emails me asking permission to use it. If there is a certain site that you dont want to have your strat found at, I will simply not give that site permission to use it.

You can contact me at Apollos.heat@gmail.com. Thank you for your time.

If there is anybody else that has something they would like to add, please contact me as well. Really, I would love to put it in.

posted 03-05-06 10:28 PM EDT (US)     27 / 27  
Highlanders are by far some of the best mercs around. And while this does not relate to the BMT in any way, Brits can spam 18 of them.

Now, this is exagerrated, but if 11 highlanders were to fire off a single volley at the exact same time, they'd deal 63 × 11 dmg = 693 dmg. Yeah... plus they get loads of health, melee attack is 2x vs. cav like normal muskets.

For BMT, I don't have much to say, except that of course as Openamp said it won't work in every situation. Minutemen however are very strong, even when they're at 1 HP they can do some damage! quite funny to see it happen really, but bump and running 1 hp minutemen works more effectvely than I thought it would, lol. I guess it's just another brits strategy up my sleeve, along with the pwnage ones that Ceres made =P

Plus, if minutemen are done with their defensive job, when you're attacking you can mix them in for harder micro on other units! lol! Units waste a volley on minutemen, but hey, it's better than nothing anyway since the minutemen already served their main purpose.

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » British Militia Turtle
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames