Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Dutch Pike Rush
posted 02-26-06 08:01 PM EDT (US)   
Dutch Pikeman Rush
Although I suppose this rush could be performed with every civ, I much prefer the Dutch for two reasons:
1) Their villagers cost gold. This may be a bit weird to play with, but on some maps with even a little bit of a food shortage, normal food required for the first age up (800 for Dutch, 1400 - 1700 everyone else but Ottoman) is much easier to obtain since you're not spending food on villagers.
2) Human psychology. No one expects the Dutch to rush, just like no one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

That said, time for my loose build order:

Colonial...
First, get your rally point on the town center set to the gold gathering site.
Once the gold crates are picked up, queue two villagers and put all your villagers but one on gold.
Keep creating villagers until you queue your 12th.
When the lone villager finishes with the crates, have it build a house (two if you have the wood).
#1 shipment: 2 villagers (3 if you have the card).
Once your 12th villager is in queue, move everyone to food. Change your rally point to the nearest hunting site.
As soon as you have 800 food, age up with the wood guy. Then move all your villagers to gathering wood.
When the green bar reaches halfway, grab three villagers and move them across toward your opponent, preparing to forward-build an outpost.
Build the outpost when you have 250 wood.
When you start building the outpost, the villagers at your base should resume gathering food.
Hold on to your #2 shipment for now.
***Important!!!*** When the outpost is finished, make sure you set the outpost as the shipment drop-off site! On a related note, don't move your villagers away, as the wood will probably drop off at the outpost.

As soon as you age up...
Call your shipment (8 pikes) ASAP.
Remember to scout their base beforehand, looking for outposts, troops, etc. Plan accordingly...
Throw up a barracks (forward build) out of which you should spam troops (10 pikes first).
When your 8 pikes are in, you should take them to attack an outpost or town center (TC first if there's one outpost or less).

There are two things you can do from here.
If your opponent beats off your rush, don't panic.
1) Throw up another outpost near your base, as you probably will get counter-attacked.
2) Run your villagers back to your base.
3) Maybe throw up an outpost near your barracks so that one doesn't go down in flames.
4) Play dutch as normal.

If your opponent turtles and has no troops, go for the win.
1) Spam pikes out of your barracks and burn the TC to the ground.
2) Remember to use your shipments... wood is probably best since you likely don't have a lot.
3) If you happen to blow up the TC, you've pretty much won. Ship hussars, and chase villagers.
4) Also, remember to destroy buildings... the last thing you want is to wait for them to resign and do nothing, only to have them forward build a barracks and spam troops in your base, which may be their only shot at a win if you've razed their TC.
5) If your see a wagon, burn it! DO NOT let the Portuguese build another TC!

A few things to note:
If they beat off your initial rush, don't resign. It's not all-out. Even then, since they probably used a shipment to defend, and you probably razed an outpost/blockhouse, it cost them 250W build that outpost/blockhouse which they'd be stupid not to rebuild.
Don't forget to scout. If they have a bunch of troops, don't send your pikes off to be massacred.
If you raze their TC, and they start typing something to the effect of "omg n00b rush luzr GAYYYYYY!!!!!!111," kindly remind them that they got rushed by a dutch player and lost.
Use cover mode with your pikes to extend their lifespan by roughly 50%.

This will probably work on a novice-intermediate player, unfortunately I haven't been able to get on ESO and try it due to a firewall.
I'd be happy to hear thoughts, comments, suggestions, constructive criticism...

EDIT:
Do remember cover mode with pikes when burning buildings.
Apparently, viewing separate scores doesn't work anymore.

[This message has been edited by notquitehorrible (edited 02-26-2006 @ 10:34 PM).]

Replies:
posted 02-26-06 08:11 PM EDT (US)     1 / 9  
First of all, you can't legally see military score... You need a 1337 hax.

Other than that, not bad. You need to remember to use cover mode with ur pikes. Kinda basic, but not terrible. You might want to use less villies to get a faster rush.

~Syz
Join the Revolution. www.awrev.com
posted 02-26-06 08:18 PM EDT (US)     2 / 9  
You're right, I did forget cover mode. Oops.
And someone around here had a guide about interpreting your opponent's military score that was perfectly legal for online play, last I checked.
posted 02-26-06 10:04 PM EDT (US)     3 / 9  
ES fixed the bug letting you see seperated scores... since you don't play online, you don't have the righrt patch and can still use the UI that wouldn't work now...
posted 02-26-06 10:35 PM EDT (US)     4 / 9  
Oh. OK. Thanks for the info.
posted 02-27-06 08:26 AM EDT (US)     5 / 9  
Mmmmn bad pretty much, I'd personally prefer to just play dutch normally and get a bank instead of a outpost. BTW if you must rush you should build a artilery thing fwd, make grenaders and have the 8 pikes ship at home and then walk fwd so you can attack with 10 grenaders and 8 pikes.

"Dutch are OP!"
"Iriquois are OP!"
"Stophon is OP!"

tEk Clan #1 US Clan
posted 02-27-06 10:29 AM EDT (US)     6 / 9  
seems quite good
but i wouldnt make a forward outpost and use the 250 wood for an artilery foundry if you expect them for going ff or a second rax if you think they will make a rax in colonial
if they ff, use pikes with grens and go for the tc first, dont care about houses and outposts, you want that tc down before they reach fortress (although i woulnd rush a ff with dutch, if they are good, the tc wont be down by fortress and then ur lost)
if they plan on colonial defense, make some skirms to git and run every units they have(use pikes to protect from cav. get just enough skirms for their ary and for the rest go pikes
posted 02-27-06 10:40 AM EDT (US)     7 / 9  
2nd Ship Minitemn Card = Rush fails

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • posted 02-27-06 04:13 PM EDT (US)     8 / 9  

Quote:

ES fixed the bug letting you see seperated scores... since you don't play online, you don't have the righrt patch and can still use the UI that wouldn't work now...

actually, they removed the feature. it wasnt ever a bug as they intentionally put it in the game and just forgot to remove it before release. but that's kinda the same thing anyway...

i really dont see how the dutch are going to be any faster than anyone else at doing this. you might catch some noobs offguard, but anyone who actually knows how to ff after beating a rush is going to beat this w/out a problem.

and another thing, im getting really tired of every single strat posted here ending in "i havent tried this online yet, but it should work." i mean come on, if you're gonna say something like that, at least put it at the beginning so i dont waste my time reading the entire thing only to find out you dont have a clue. i dont know why i even bother reading this board anymore...

posted 02-27-06 08:07 PM EDT (US)     9 / 9  
    Stophon...
    I think that 10 grenadiers would take much too long to be a rush... I want to have 8 pikes in his base by 5:25, with 5 pikes a minute coming in. Plus, pikemen are way cheaper than grenadiers and only cost food and wood... not gold, so I don't have to divide my villagers to make sure I have enough to produce units and build houses.
    Sandman666...
    Thanks for the input.
    Mokon...
    I wouldn't call the rush a 'failure' even if they do beat it off. If someone calls minutemen, what's to stop me from running off and shipping hussars while building more pikes? Or from thinking 'screw the minutemen' and whacking houses and outposts, making them spend more resources in reconstruction than I spend in attack?
    Slackman42...
    The dutch don't have to be faster than anyone else. I'm writing this for the dutch because no one expects the dutch to rush, generally.
    And just because I don't test it online doesn't mean it doesn't work. I beat the expert AI with it, which might not be much of an accomplishment to some, but it worked for me.
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Dutch Pike Rush
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames