Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: My British FI Strategy
posted 04-30-06 06:33 PM EDT (US)   
**UPDATED**

This Fast Industrial strategy is an adaptation of many stratagies I've seen so far. What I do in this strat is get to fortress as soon as possible take the offensive were applicable then go industrial and outboom your opponent while constantly putting on pressure. You should be hitting Fortress Age at 7:00 - 7:30 if you do it well, towards the lower end and possible lower if you are good at creeping (see mokons excerpt from his guide he posted).

Why use this strategy

Whats good about this strategy economically is you can get to industrial fast with a good eco and your tc idle at most times but it your a skilled player you can have an uber eco as you will be able to keep your TC producing vills while hitting industrial faster. It also gives you map control against most civs (I wouldn't advice offensive version against a german, or some other more powerful offenseive strategies. As being on the defensive gives you the military advantage using such things as walls towers fort and the crucial los advantage).

The advantage military wise is that no other civilisation can get mercs and artilery out by 7:00 - 8:00 this gives you an extreme advantage over enemies while you have a good military you also have an excellent eco due to the brits civ advantages, this will allow you to end the game in fortress occasionally, but mostly you can go to industrial safley as your defence is good enough to defend yourself will proper turtling and you will have a great advantage over your opponent.

There is a Build Order for this Strategy but you still need to adapt this strategy is quite vulnerable to a rush but if you are skilled enough you should be able to reppel it easily and age at slower times were you'll easily have the advantage.

The start of this strategy is basically identical to beatnik_joes url=http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=15,29781,0,365]BWKiC[/url].

The Build Order

Discovery age

At the start of the game set 3 villagers on the nearest food crate then send 2 onto the nearest huntable, the last villie is sent to herd huntables towards your TC (which you should do every now and then to keep your villies safer and more importantly save precious villager seconds. Once you have enough wood send one villager to build a house the other 2 go on hunting. Now all villagers go on wood until you can build a trade post then all villagers go on food again. Age up using the 200 gold and outpost politian, you should have 16 villagers including the one from the house and 3 from shipment. If you started without a gold crate put a few villagers on gold whilst aging until you have 100 gold, they then go back onto food.

Colonial Age

As soon as you reach colonial send 700 gold and que two villagers. Just before the 700 gold arrives send villagers to collect to it make your fortress time faster. When you get another shipment send the church card glorious revolution. Age with the 400 wood and a caravel politian (dont forget to put it on gathering food when you have aged). After you click the age button put 9 villagers on wood an keep 9 on food, build a church. Then start building houses.

Fortress Age

Now when you hit fortress set your caravel on food and gather the 400 wood and build a trade post this allows you to send an extra shipment of defence if needed or preferbly 1000 wood to get your boom going more efficently than it would if you ude the 400 wood for houses, it also gives you more exp for later in the game aswell, an al round better investment. Heres were the strategy deviates, there are two versions, an offensive version and a defensive version. You should have forward built your outpost close as possible to the enemy for the ofensive version and for the defensive you should have build walls asap and build your outpost in a defensive position near your base. When you hit fortress age you should have another shipment use it for 2 falcs, THEN call black watch from your church. For your next shipment send 10 longbows if you need to and send 1000 gold next if your uber little or no pressure and don't need more support send 1000 gold straight away and age to industrial with the 100 gold politian, making sure you have 500 gold when you reach it. The industrial time varies alot depending on the amount of pressure the starting crates and huntables but it should be anywere from 10 - 14 minutes, normally about 12 minutes.

Industrial Age

When you reach industrial gather the 1000 gold crates and research mercantilism, then ship factories and estates have your factories producing rockets and start massing longbows if applicable depending on what military your opponent is making. but generally large quantities of longbows are good against most things. Use good scouting to see whether massing longbows would be a good idea or if you need to make something else. Keep your estates booming and you shouldn't need more town centres although if possible another woulsn't be a bad idea earlier on.

Although this strategy gives a general build order upto the industrial age it doesn't mean that you have to follow it extensivley you should always adapt if you can learn to adapt if something unexpected happens you will become a much better player, good adaption and scouting will higher you playing level.

I wont give a precise deck but I'll give the areas it should cover. It should have the basic cards and the ones including in the Build order. In addition you should have some sort of defence against rushes you should include some fortress cards for defence against a fast fortress and some industrial cards for fast attacks after hitting indstrial age.

[This message has been edited by Destiny_Devil (edited 05-02-2006 @ 04:14 PM).]

Replies:
posted 05-01-06 03:00 AM EDT (US)     1 / 27  
cool. glad to see mercantilism isn't totally dead. lol.
nice strat.

FI powerrr!!!!

posted 05-01-06 05:17 AM EDT (US)     2 / 27  
nice one. im gonna try it now.

Currently playing:- British!

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

ESO - The_Rifleman

posted 05-01-06 07:12 AM EDT (US)     3 / 27  
Yup if you get mercantilism soon as you got the coin in age 4 you should have about 4 shipments as you should already have 1 and a bit it will give you at least one and will put you close to the 4th shipment.
posted 05-01-06 03:27 PM EDT (US)     4 / 27  
some more info would be helpful:

time you expect to arrive at each age.

number of vils made in each age

market? which research at what time?

towers? fort? why and why not

and if you could improve a bit on the format it would be cool.

posted 05-01-06 03:33 PM EDT (US)     5 / 27  
Sounds like an interesting strat, in theory. But then again everything that goes for the Brits works well in theory, and not in practice.

I'll have to try it if I feel like playing brits again.

posted 05-01-06 05:27 PM EDT (US)     6 / 27  
I was waiting for a post like that ultimitsu, I have actually stated all that in there technically.

I state times for fort age and indstrial just not colonial because I can't remember my own average time.#

I do say vills except for industrial age ebcause 1 it varies and 2 this isn't a precise build order I'm not giving to give every tiny details for build order horders

I never said no to either fort nor tower its just more efficent to do it this way of course you may use them if you wish or need to. Again I'm not going to give every little detail of the strategy itself and how one needs to adapt.

I never expected the idiotic post I was waiting for to come from you, but rather a new player.

posted 05-01-06 06:19 PM EDT (US)     7 / 27  
you missing my point.

your FI is not greatly different to all other FI posted recently. just a few alterations in BO, here and there.

if you want your stratagy to stand out. you need to be precise about what happens at when with what. just say "a few", "you may get it if you want", "depends" , "upto you" dont really give us a exact idea.

anyone can come up with their own way of reaching industrial in 11 minutes, with different amount of defence.. whats good about yours should be about its extra effeciency and versatility, it is not shown in what you posted.

also although you say you dont just give BO, but you are not explaining your choices either. why would you choose 400 wood + a boat over pike+longbow? why would you use 3 shipment + 1000 food + 250 wood in fortress on militery when you really expect to fight properly in industrial?
have you calculated how many shipment you have used before mercantilism and is mercant still feasable after all that many shipment used already? how does it compare to early TP approach?

I merely pointed out what you need to make the improvement, but it is entirely up to you to take it as an offence.

[This message has been edited by ultimitsu (edited 05-01-2006 @ 06:29 PM).]

posted 05-02-06 11:44 AM EDT (US)     8 / 27  
hm you make good points there, but nevertheless you are sort of a victim to your own criticism as you didn't make your point clearly in that post either. I shall edit my first post to give some more details.

I do use the early tp approach and mercantlism btw.

I have added a why this strategy is good just to show you why I use this. I also edited the part about the politition to show you why I use the one I do.

[This message has been edited by Destiny_Devil (edited 05-02-2006 @ 11:59 AM).]

posted 05-02-06 02:04 PM EDT (US)     9 / 27  
This strat appears to be almost blow-for-blow identical to BWKiC. You basically don't really deviate until the point where BWKiC ends.

There's of course no problem with using BWKiC as a base and providing alternate "finishers", but perhaps you could explicitly mention that this is what you are doing and point people to the original write-up.

posted 05-02-06 04:11 PM EDT (US)     10 / 27  
I used a strat like this before it I just changed the military in age 3 thanks to your idea, oh and I never did the early tp thats all I changed after reading. and ok i'll give you some credit.
posted 05-02-06 08:50 PM EDT (US)     11 / 27  
i do an FI quite similar to this one, with some little differences. i send the ATP card first and age with 15 villies, and try to have 2 TPs set up pretty quick. though i dont use the blackwatch/2 cannons unless it looks like a raid is coming. if i feel it is safe i send the 1000 gold card and have all villies on food. age with the 10 muskets and you should have 2 cards whan you finish aging, send for the 16 muskets and the 3 rockets,then estates/8 hussars
posted 05-03-06 10:28 AM EDT (US)     12 / 27  
Thanks. I was also wondering something about fast industrial. In your opinion, what's the best way to handle Germany? I've generally found that the combination of mercs, war wagons, uhlans comes rolling in mighty fast. I feel like I have to give it everything I've got just to last through fortress age if I don't manage to put the German away quickly.

Do you find that you can make industrial before the German player can achieve that fortress "critical mass" necessary to pull off a massive strike? Because of the war wagons' huge bonus against artillery such as rockets, I've been concerned that industrial wouldn't bring me enough benefits to be worth it. What have you found?

[This message has been edited by Beatnik Joe (edited 05-03-2006 @ 10:29 AM).]

posted 05-03-06 11:19 AM EDT (US)     13 / 27  
@ Satchmo before I started doing this I used to do that and my fortress was a shocking 9:00 xD then I started trying new things finding this new start gave me the most efficient game then beatnik_joes strategy appears and it gave me a more efficent strategfy with a faster industrial time also with a stronger defence faster.

@Beatnik_Joe I prefer not to use british against germany but generally I turtle with the bw, falcs and as many lbows as I can muster. When its safe I try to make it to industrial for factories guard lbows and maybe rockets. for military I'd probably use mass lbows and a few rockets and culvs and a fair amount of musks. imo the british are the best civ to counter mass ww and skirms as lbows are good against both those units, the problem comes when seige comes into play (easily covered by making a few mortars and rockets) or when they have artillery, as artillery quickly lays waste to lbows even with the lbows uberness the war wagons can kill them if they ar attacking the artillery and culvs are decimated by the war wagons. I do have a strategic tactic for beating war wagons however but I'm not sure if it will work, if there is any form of artillery that outranges war wagons (not mortars although these may be used as bait destroying his buildings not as effective though as he can leave it and destroy your army first) then the war wagons will have the move to get it and your army can pick them off as their moving.

posted 05-04-06 10:48 AM EDT (US)     14 / 27  
Yeah, that sounds about right. I've also noticed that I had to gear down my industrial time quite a bit against Germany. I generally wind up seeing an enemy army composed of war wagons, falconets, and mercs. The longbows are a great backbone to the counter, but then I'm forced to build culverins to take care of the enemy falcs. The really horrible part is watching those culverins die to a quick war wagon charge. Getting the longbows \ pikes \ culvs that I need to push this back usually means that I have a hard time ever finding time to get the industrial resources that I need.

The other problem is that once I spend so heavily on military, I've usually burned through a lot of huntables. Do you have a preferred way of getting that additional 2k food for industrial (without starting up agriculture?)

posted 05-04-06 11:00 AM EDT (US)     15 / 27  
Don't use pikes unless absolutley neccasry, musks are more powerful die less easier and don't drop like an anville when skirms appear.
posted 05-04-06 11:11 AM EDT (US)     16 / 27  
Sure, muskets sound pretty reasonable too. For my style I do tend to like pikes better for a couple of reasons:
  • The cheaper food cost (only 40) seems to fit in very well with my longbow production. I find myself food-bound when pumping longbows.
  • Speed. Thanks to their fast foot speed, the pikes are very good at engaging in melee or forcing the war wagons to at the very least stay away from my culverins.

Having said that, trying out some muskets might be fun. Though of course both troop types are wiped out by skirmishers. If I can get him to go more skirms than falcs, then at least my longbow-heavy army does have a fighting chance. But boy do the war wagons need to lose that weird anti-artillery multiplier!

• posted 05-05-06 12:39 PM EDT (US)     17 / 27  
    posted 05-06-06 01:20 PM EDT (US)     18 / 27  
    good news: very good strat

bad news: i need at least like 19 more lvls before I can do it

Stephen Harper's theme song is Domo Arigato, Mr Roboto!
    posted 05-06-06 01:27 PM EDT (US)     19 / 27  
    posted 05-09-06 06:54 PM EDT (US)     20 / 27  
    hey destiny, I tried this strat and it worked really well, wexcept for one thing: I couldn't get a shipment for the 1000 gold in time, and it delayed my Industrial time huge.

I had had 3 TP's, and still couldn't make it on time, so I am wondering if upgrading the TR would be worth it. I know it's better to simply build another TP, but I think that I could fit it in pretty easily. I know that you said that we have to work with this a little bit, but I worry that I won't be able to get enough shipments to hold off a rush, or make it to Industrial and own his rush. Almost as soon as I hit fortress I had enough to get estates and the 2 factories all in one go, but late-fortress I was lacking. So I need to know that if you think upgrading the TR is a viable solution.

posted 05-10-06 04:30 PM EDT (US)     21 / 27  
    hm it usually works for me, I usually have one shipment in fort and 1 in industrial not sure whats happened there unless prolonged col/fort fighting = more shipments.
    posted 05-12-06 06:26 PM EDT (US)     22 / 27  
    havnt been on in a while, so im answering destiny's lat 2 posts.

1) - I have good single player Brits HC, online I suck, so I have a lvl 92 and a lvl 6. I can proudly suck with experience (I know Hc lvl is not a rep of skill, but you get the message).

2) - Need 19 more lvls because - estates, and other assorted cards I need to get to do this good. (ie: res cards, yeomen, 2 age3 falcs, unique church, etc,etc,etc...)

3) - I didn't quite explain the problem quite good enough.

I did he defensive version, wanted to take full advantage of manor booming/estates (it was 1player to work it out and try different cards). My problem was that (again) I had to wait a long time to get the 1,000 gold shipment, and that was with scratching off my fort in an effort to get industrial faster.

4) - Kind of related to #3.

I had a shotage of wood. When I hit industrial though, I had 19 manor houses (just in time, though) up and sent the factories and estates. I know this is normally suicide, but I had almost no defenses, and when I got them it would be very uncomfortably late in a multiplayer game. Actually suicide in a multiplayer game, but again, you get the point. I need to work this out on my own a bit, but any help would be great.

Should I delay my manor boom slightly enough to get in a market and wood upgrades? Or should I simply try to get more wood from vills? Only thing, I was just getting enough food and gold to advance, so the latter might not work to well. 600 wood or the 15% wood gather speed would be a waste of a shipment.

5) - Last question. I know about adjusting to the situation, but in what order would you recomend sending the estates and 2 factories cards. If I was being attacked at the moment, should I send 1 or 2 factories first, and hope the rockets come quick, or send estates and outboom him so I can produce hordes of guys. If he was not attacking me, I strongly think that estates is the better choice, but just wanted conformation on that.

Lengthly post, but all in good hopes.

[This message has been edited by lrd_dmsdy666 (edited 05-12-2006 @ 06:27 PM).]

posted 05-13-06 01:18 PM EDT (US)     23 / 27  
    Keep as few vills as you can on gold (only the ones aging to col to get the 100 gold you need to age to fort) and then again aging to industrial to make sure you have the 500 gold ready, otherwise keep about 15-20 vills on wood and the rest on food.
    posted 05-13-06 04:09 PM EDT (US)     24 / 27  
    kk, just was having a spot 'o trouble with this. Thnks.

posted 05-13-06 04:15 PM EDT (US)     25 / 27  
    posted 05-13-06 05:33 PM EDT (US)     26 / 27  

Quote:

The industrial time varies alot depending on the amount of pressure the starting crates and huntables but it should be anywere from 10 - 14 minutes, normally about 12 minutes.

Can you really make this with all these shipments you send in? (3 vils, 700 coin, UC card, 2 falcs, 1000 coin, sometimes even 10 lbows) Plus you're spending ress on a church, houses, a TP and on the Highlanders from church ... ? Like to see a record of this.

I mean, I have my own crappy Brit FI strat, which is a under 10 minute FI with nearly no defence (kinda suicide, I know), but I have way less shipments or at least I feel like it ...

posted 05-13-06 06:38 PM EDT (US)     27 / 27  
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » My British FI Strategy
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames