Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: 40 Vil Brit Colonial
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 06-04-06 09:25 PM EDT (US)   
(Almost) Totally original Stophon4 strat

Also I cant think of a good title for it, I just like the current one becasue it makes you want to read the post (assuming you see the author as Stophon4).

Anyway before I start, the only credit I owe for this strat is to Olympus_Grun at agesanc because in one of his recs vs a portugal guy he did a very late colonial as brits vs a 4 dock boat booming guy. But it is still significantly different than mine.

40 Vil Brit Colonial

First off, dont attempt vs an ottoman or a russian, they will rush you in t2 and you will be screwed, in general, brits fair very poorly vs ottoman and russian. You may use a variation of this strat vs them (with limited success), but dont use this one.

Ok on with the show.

The outline of this strat is to turtle up very well. You will need walls up before he gets his free uhlans out. You will have enough longbowman to fend of any army he sends, until you reach fortress. You will get to fortress with a HUGE economy and anihilate him.

Ok now for the build order.

First you need to send 2 vils to hunt, and divide your villies up between food and wood crates. After you collect your crates, build one (and only one, even if 300 wood) house. Have 5 vils go to food while the other one buidls the house. After the vil finishes building the house have him go to food. The free vil from the house can chop wood, along with every other vil that comes out of the tc, at least until you advacne to colonial.

Your first card should be cheaper manors, once this is shipped, start building manors. Try to build them in a way that they form a wall around your base. You must find a balance with your wall, between having too much area to protect and having too little space for your vils to gather. Keep building manors around your base. Your new shipment should be comign in, I like to ship 3 vils, but its your choice. Around 4:30ish switch like 4 more vils to food. You want to lcick up around 5:30-6:00. After you get your 800 food click up to colonial. A shipment should come in soon, ship schooners if it is on water, unless you have a ton of food. But usually you want to hold off on mills for awhile, and water is the easiest way. If its on land-only, save the shipment.

If your map really looks like it stinks, and its a land-only map. You may have to go to some hunt and gold that is on the edge of the map, and wall it in (with an outpost), but avoid this whenever possible, it is a huge pain.

Once in colonial, throw up 1 rax if schooners, or if on land, throw up 2 raxes. Now you need to be scouting, If he throws up an artillery (like a smart opponent will), you need to crate 10-15 pikes and 30 or so lbows. With pikes you can kill uhlans while lbows can pick on cannons, also pikes do OK vs cannons if they get close. Try to be in fortress a little bit faster if they do this. Basically, you need to be in fortress with 2 culvs when the seoncd wave hits with lots of cannons.

OK, so you've clicked up to fortress and our opponent will hit soon, if he's smart. Build an artillery foundry and make sure you have gold when you get to fortress for 2 culvs. Also having a few pikes around is good if he has ltos of uhlans, but is not necesary. Once you get to fortrss, que 2 culvs and get vet lbows, also get highs asap. Another helpful shipment is 2 falcs, but if you know you can beat him, ship 8 vils instead (or 1k wood for 2 more tcs).

If you have survived this long, unless he crippled your eco, the game is over. You have 2x (at least) his eco and have all your good shipments ready to expand and take over the map.

So this is a pretty far out strat, esp considering you dont hit colonial until 7 minutes, with 40 vils! But it works, and its one-of-a-kind. I think this will work at the level you play at (it does at mine, I think), at mokons it might, but I am not totally sure.

Some variations to this, you can go up fastter to defend vs ottoman and russian, but vs these guys, your usually dead anyway, its very hard for brits to take on ottoman or russian, I advise ports vs them . You can also make an artillery foundry and get greanders for his cannons, or make a stable for his cannons. With grenaders you can fight the dreaded pike/cannon combo with ease. If he goes pikes and cannons early, this may be the way to go (4+ cannons lbows lose to).

The recorded game:
http://www.hostemergency.com/~illuzion/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=36

This is a game vs a clan mate, he is a bit below me in skill (normally a sub 2.1ker), but still a good player IMO. Not my mistakes, I was up to fortress late and suffered accordingly and I used the 2 vil up option to t2 instead of 500 food (doh!).

This is basically an anti-german strategy, Enjoy!

"Dutch are OP!"
"Iriquois are OP!"
"Stophon is OP!"

tEk Clan #1 US Clan
Replies:
posted 06-04-06 09:26 PM EDT (US)     1 / 53  
And BTW mokon you can include this in your strategy central thing if you would like

"Dutch are OP!"
"Iriquois are OP!"
"Stophon is OP!"

tEk Clan #1 US Clan
posted 06-04-06 10:54 PM EDT (US)     2 / 53  
I'll try it...soon!

It's funny, as I just picked the cards to try and do this strat =D

Do a 40 vill Discovery nextD

Bill: Bob, I see troops advancing.
Bob: Damn, I can't get my grenades to light. Get over here and block the wind.
Bill: Do you hear gunshots?
Bob: I'm running out of matches. Hurry up.
bill: They just shanked john.
bob: He'll be dearly missed. Now help me ligh-

[This message has been edited by Killersquirrel (edited 06-04-2006 @ 10:57 PM).]

posted 06-04-06 10:58 PM EDT (US)     3 / 53  
Yeah, he tried this vs me, but I still one. Make sure you fish because I boxed him in and waited. Somehow, my score stayed higher than his for quite some time... fishing is the key.

"The lembas had a virtue without which they would long ago have lain down to die. . . . this waybread of the Elves had a potency that increased as travelers relied on it alone and did not mingle it with other foods. It fed the will, and it gave strength to endure, and to master sinew and limb beyond the measure of mortal kind."

• "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" by J.R.R. Tolkien

• Hit 2100+ cuetech rating on Sunday, April 17th, 2006

posted 06-04-06 10:59 PM EDT (US)     4 / 53  
So what time are you in fortress?

I can see this strat going really badly.

Heard of my new Dutch strat? I'm banking on it.
posted 06-04-06 11:16 PM EDT (US)     5 / 53  
And if the German sees it's 5:30, you're stil in Discovery, and decides to rush you with Dopples, Pikes, Uhlans and Crossbows?
How do you survive for the 2:30 it'll take you to age up, put up a barracks and pump some Longbows and Muskets/Pikes?

Or against a Spanish that rushes you with Pikes, Muskets and Rods by 6:00?

I'm really not sure I understand the point of going to Colonial so late with 40 villagers, when you can age up with ~25, and complete the rest of your manour boom afterwards (aside from sending the 5 vil card once you age)?

"One wants to be loved, failing that admired, failing that feared, failing that hated and despised. One wants to instill in other people some form of emotion. The soul shudders before emptiness and wants contact, no matter the cost."
posted 06-04-06 11:36 PM EDT (US)     6 / 53  
I don't know about you Ender, but normally if I play a British and I see that it is 5:30, he isn't aged up, and I know he isn't a noob, I would just assume that he would age up very shortly so I wouldn't go for a rush. What you need to watch out for is this. When he did this to me (granted, he didn't fish this time, but I had built a dock on the other side to make my own boats, so chances are his fishing wouldn't be too much better than mine anyways) I thought that yes, he is boxed in and it will be hard to fight him there, but if I can keep vills in TC he won't be utilizing his eco advantage. What I did was bust in with falcs and stayed close to foundry in case culv came out (I had 5 falcs btw). He kept some vills out so I threw hackapell at them (they own vills so damn fast, he told me he regretted leaving his wood vills out during the battle). Sure, that wave eventually died, but I shipped out more mercs in that time, made more vet uhlan and more falcs. It wasn't too hard to keep up with production since his vills were in tc and not gathering.

"The lembas had a virtue without which they would long ago have lain down to die. . . . this waybread of the Elves had a potency that increased as travelers relied on it alone and did not mingle it with other foods. It fed the will, and it gave strength to endure, and to master sinew and limb beyond the measure of mortal kind."

• "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" by J.R.R. Tolkien

• Hit 2100+ cuetech rating on Sunday, April 17th, 2006

posted 06-04-06 11:56 PM EDT (US)     7 / 53  
lol i actually use this semi-often. i saw it from gl0rious. i believe my version is better for the lower level players because i'm of course biased, and because i find it difficult to balance a water eco, land eco, and military because i generally over boom
i usually have 46 vills with all the market upgrades(blunderbuss and great coat are essential) and age at ~8? i don't usually check my times. i send cheaper manors, 3 vills, sometimes pioneer in discovery(sometimes necessary vs rushes, but i like sending cards in fortress right away), and will send church card in colonial. generally, i will start to age to fortress 15 sec or so after reaching colonial.

vs. rushes
as stophon said, its not so good against otto or russia(though gl0rious held off an otto native rush lol...). however, i have held off all other rushes, including the previoulsy mentioned spanish and german rush. make sure you manor boom around a place with a lot of resources. i can usually find a patch of trees + gold near my base in most maps. after creating the wall with your manors, build 1 or 2 towers in the center of your little circle of houses. with your power vills and towers, your eco will be safe.

upon reaching fortress you can send blackwatch and highlanders or falconets right away, and start spamming lbows. i found that making falconets are more useful, as just 17 highlanders staggered make short work of his two falconets, and most people i've played have a lot more infantry than artillery.i've also had good success with germans(i'm 1900 though).

PS: don't worry if you lose 5-10 vills to a rush(don't be too adventurous, make sure that him losing that army is going to hurt him more than you. otherwise you still have 2 towers to garrison into), chances are your eco is still far ahead. and after your highlanders/falcs/lbows come in, you should be golden

[This message has been edited by MJ_Caboose (edited 06-05-2006 @ 00:06 AM).]

posted 06-05-06 05:58 AM EDT (US)     8 / 53  
Yeah sinister posted some classic recs of this strat a few months ago. He beat a native rusher with upgraded vills and minute men.
posted 06-05-06 08:07 AM EDT (US)     9 / 53  
My clanmate tried to do discovery age manor boom whit loads of outposts (me ottoman). His deck gave too much away, and i goed for grenadiers it was really the only way i had change to win that game. if i would have gone whit janissaries, they would have got wasted in the time it takes to take 1 outpost down.
posted 06-05-06 08:07 AM EDT (US)     10 / 53  
Aww Lembas, that was my first attempt. I did it a few more times and learned alot.

In your game I didnt even fish! Huge mistake! Along with lots more mistakes.

Anywho your in fortress as early as 8:45 and as late as like 12-13 minutes. Usually at 7 min you just throw up a couple of barracks and pump lbows.

And Glorious has done this before? Shoot, I thoguth it was all mine.

Keep in mind, if you wall early with manor houses, you can beat any inf rush because you can just buidl walls faster than they knock them down. Or send mm and waqtch them beat up on them and they cant do anything about it because their behind a wall. And by the time that they make 5 cbows, get your manor house down to break into the base, it will be around 7 minutes If he comes with cbows the first time, you can just kill them with mm.

But again, it fairs horribly vs a strleet or jannie rush, thats why I said dont attempt it vs either of those.

Quote:

Do a 40 vill Discovery nextD

I think you misunderstood me, you advance to colonial with 40 vils, so you have 40 vils in discvoery...

"Dutch are OP!"
"Iriquois are OP!"
"Stophon is OP!"

tEk Clan #1 US Clan

[This message has been edited by Stophon4 (edited 06-05-2006 @ 08:14 AM).]

posted 06-05-06 09:11 AM EDT (US)     11 / 53  
I once played somebody who I mistook for a complete noob.

I was Portuguese - him British

I was in Fortress before he was in colonial (around 8 minuts). Unfortunally he arrived in Colonial with 63 settlers.

I lost the game quit embarrishing.

TORDENSKIOLD(1690-1720)

During the Great Nordic War (1700-1720), he was commander of the danish navy, which defeaded the swedish army at Kristiania (modern Oslo). After the war, he was killed in a duel on Nov. 12, 1720 just outside Hamburg, Germany, during a travel to England.

ESO: TORDENSKIOLD
posted 06-05-06 09:42 AM EDT (US)     12 / 53  
A thought. Would the 40% more building HP card be useful here? It means 2500 HP Manours, 4200 HP walls and 2800 HP Outposts (not even mentioning the 11200 HP Town Center).

"One wants to be loved, failing that admired, failing that feared, failing that hated and despised. One wants to instill in other people some form of emotion. The soul shudders before emptiness and wants contact, no matter the cost."
posted 06-05-06 10:07 AM EDT (US)     13 / 53  
does someone know how do you put villagers into melee? they have a hand attack but to me it seems that they can only use it when an ennemy units attacks them into melee.
posted 06-05-06 10:17 AM EDT (US)     14 / 53  
Um... naders to counter cannon? I know they hit hard on them bt they normally kill naders before they get near em

*WINDOWS CRITICAL ERROR 19891126*
Product ID: Ossian Discontinued
Contact your network admin for more details
about this special edition of player...

Allthough cetans are darker, did you know that if you read the word 'cetan' as a dutch word, that you get the same sound as when reading 'satan' in english.-Furby Killer
posted 06-05-06 10:19 AM EDT (US)     15 / 53  
it's not really for countering cannon its for countering naders in discovery
posted 06-05-06 10:27 AM EDT (US)     16 / 53  
With the water it is basically a britt modified Swinger ports boat boom. I am not trying to tell who copies who here, but the cards Swinger uses (more HP on building) is surely a good bet. (To pple who need a more detailed BO could look at the ports swingers for some pointers.)

The more they spend time on walls/buildings, the more your LB are going to have fun. This is actually one point where I think brit have an advantage on ports for this type of boom, since LB are more efficient cost wise than any ports turtling units. And, easier economy managing since you need less gold. Also, you are less dependant on fishing than the ports since you can manor spam villagers.

And the secret in LB usage is Massed, yeah they do own direct hussard counter, but they need to be MASSED.

posted 06-05-06 12:15 PM EDT (US)     17 / 53  
40 Vil Colonial... wtf?

Of course, this would happen only with Schooners... wouldn't it?

Colonial turtle strategy seems to be a good bet, but I don't know if its worth it. You talks about 40 Settlers, but if your enemy has schooners too, you wouldn't have so much advantage...

I'm not sure how it would perform against another booming civ... you lose map control and, if your enemy spam outposts in the water, your weaker military won't get you anywhere.

But it seems to be a good idea... I'll try it myself

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
posted 06-05-06 12:59 PM EDT (US)     18 / 53  
I think it would be obvious that you would not try this strat on any civ but germany, wlel thats what stophon said after all. I don't think this strat is designed to > all anyway... *roll*
posted 06-05-06 04:03 PM EDT (US)     19 / 53  
is it nescessary to invest in a trade post or do u just have the manors fuel your shipments?

Edit: after trying this once getting the wall up early is crucial, maybe first thing you do?

[This message has been edited by Cptbuck (edited 06-05-2006 @ 04:32 PM).]

posted 06-05-06 04:32 PM EDT (US)     20 / 53  
Nope, just like 20 free vils from manorsa by 7 min

But yeah its made to counter the FF actually, and in particular the german one

"Dutch are OP!"
"Iriquois are OP!"
"Stophon is OP!"

tEk Clan #1 US Clan
posted 06-05-06 09:36 PM EDT (US)     21 / 53  
He used it versus me. Granted I suck, and especially that game . But the sudden overwhelm of military hit me hard

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][] Stonewall J [][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
posted 06-05-06 10:03 PM EDT (US)     22 / 53  
Yeah even stonewall hit me a bit with intial wave and even knocked down my walls, but I held it off with ease and its amazing, as soon as you hold it off you have like 80 vils (usually double yoru opponent) and you literally just explode with army.

Its actually pretty amazing.

And also I'm rather dissapointed with the responses, guess it wasn't as orignal and unique as I believed it to be.

"Dutch are OP!"
"Iriquois are OP!"
"Stophon is OP!"

tEk Clan #1 US Clan

[This message has been edited by Stophon4 (edited 06-05-2006 @ 10:04 PM).]

posted 06-06-06 00:29 AM EDT (US)     23 / 53  
Nah i think its a fairly good strat, i haven't tested it though. Might need to dust off my old British HC.

Someone, can't remember who, asked how to put villies in melee. To do this you need to manually walk them up to put them into hand attack. They really dish the damage out in melee.

Heard of my new Dutch strat? I'm banking on it.
posted 06-06-06 01:01 AM EDT (US)     24 / 53  
Sounds very cool indeed. I do believe that it requires a keen eye to know when you've got the right moment to pull a stunt like this, but I imagine that in the right circumstances this would be devastating.

If you build up enough to withstand that first assault, it sounds like you'd be left with an insane econ. Your opponent, on the other hand, could very well be gassed out.

I don't believe there's a strategy for all situations, and this strat's no exception. But when you're up against the right kind of opponent, I think this sounds like a great addition to the British arsenal.

Sounds good... if you manage to get any additional recorded games, I think that'd be great to see. I'll check out the one you posted. Thanks for the strat...

Strategies:
- BWKiC - A British Fast Fortress strategy
- The Aztec Scout Slam- An Envoy Rush, Native-Style

[This message has been edited by Beatnik Joe (edited 06-06-2006 @ 01:02 AM).]

posted 06-06-06 11:23 AM EDT (US)     25 / 53  
Stophon,

Like the post.

Just a quick of question. Are there any maps you don't reccomend to try this on other than Bayou? How do you adapt it in the case of drawing a poor map? Do you change strats entirely? Do you have some map specific decks?

Thanks

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » 40 Vil Brit Colonial
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames