Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Russian Strelet Strangle
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 06-04-06 11:01 PM EDT (US)   
Let me start off with a little introduction of myself. I am currently 2k+ on cuetech and I solely play Russia. I play a few games during the week and a little bit more on the weekends. I find Russia most enjoyable because;
  • Versatility, Russia can do many different strategies
  • Massing capabilities, means you are never caught with your pants down
  • Oprichniks, My number one pick to have as a unit, whether they're destroying buildings, putting artillery to shame, or pillaging villagers, Oprichniks are the equalizer
  • Kalmucks, Have you seen them?

Enough of that, let's get on to the strat.

What this strat is not:
A cookie cutter strategy. Don't think this strat can be used in any situation because you will not find positive results.

What this strat is:
A very powerful and crippling rush that can be used effectively in the right situation. Your economy will be miles ahead of the enemy even if this rush fails.

The Right Situation
An advantage of this strategy is that you need not send a card right when you get your first shipment. This means your strategy remains a mystery while his is exposed. Take a peak at their deck. You want to look for their general strategy. If they are pulling a standard FF, then this rush is a good choice. They will 50% of the time hit fortress, but their shipments will get shot to bits one by one. If the deck shows heavy Age 2 defenses or a water boom you may want another strategy.

Let's see how you are at decision-making;
Take this first deck, do you rush verse this?

If you said yes, then you are wrong. TC upgrade cards, heavy age 2 military cards, and extra minutemen = you're dead.

Now how about this one?

Yes, you say? Why, that's correct! No Age 2 defenses means "gg Mr. Dutch." You do not want him to get set up in Age 3 with all those shipments!

My Deck:

The Build Order
Finally, here it is. Remember, this build order will only get you into early colonial, from there it's on you!

5 Starting vills: Gather food crates. Assign 1 villager to each food crate. I just go 2-2-1 on crates 'cause my micro sucks and it would slow me down. After collecting, shoot huntables towards your town center and collect food. IMPORTANT: Make sure you get a house built before that first batch of vills is created!
Vills 6-8: Send these guys to food also.
Vills 9-11: Hmm, let's go to food also.
First Card: 300 Wood
Vills 12-14: Why don't we go food, just for kicks.
Vills 15-17: Wood, yeah you heard me right!
Age up with 400 Wood
Send 2 vills forward and drop a blockhouse right on a group of huntable between your base and your enemies.

This is where it gets a bit trickier. If you began with 200 wood crates, you're going to need to collect 100 wood with time to spare before aging up. If you started with 100 wood, poor you, then you need to get 200 wood with time to spare before aging up. In any event, you need to have two more houses down before you hit colonial. After getting those houses down, it's a good idea to have 3-4 vills stay on wood so you can get a batch of strelets out right when you age. Also, eat any huntables you have during this time to get more food into your coffers. Que 3 vills before you age up!

Age 2: 400 Wood (~5:10)
Have vills right next door to the TC to get that 400 wood collected ASAP. Now things get hectic. Que 10 strelets first thing you do when you age up. Then send 13 strelets as your second card. Make sure you change the drop off point to that blockhouse! Get a house down right after you que those strelets. Then que another 10. If all goes well, you should have 33 strelets marching into the enemies town at about 6 minutes when you get it down pat. Keep constant vill production at your TC by having about 3-4 on wood, 1-2 on gold after the initial 33 strelets are made, and then the rest on food. The key is to never get housed, if you succeed in that, then you will have great success. With your army, hit units first, then military buildings, then outposts, then houses, and finally the TC. Remember, your main goal is to keep him locked up in his TC while you boom at home.

After the initial 33 strelet wave: I like to follow up with muskets and more strelets. Make sure you keep pumping out vills back at the ranch!

Card 3: 5 Cossacks. Keep these guys away from tower fire. Bring them in if the enemy calls in minutemen or has some military on hand. Otherwise, keep circling the TC and surrounding area for escaping villagers.

Keep your military around his TC, keep his villagers pinned inside his TC, off resources, or better yet, crates while your villagers boom hard at home. If you have the upper hand, then keep pushing hard. If the enemy reaches fortress, don't freak out! You will rip apart his shipments one by one and he won't have a chance.

Card 4: Varies, if you have the upper hand and your cossacks are still alive, then send a resource card or infantry faster training card. If you managed to lose your cossacks, then send in another 4 in case he hits fortress and gets a cannon shipment.

From here you will either be completely owning or you will have been repelled. If you are owning, stay age 2 and keep up the pressure. If losing, DO NOT FEED HIM MUSKETS/STRELETS ONE BATCH AT A TIME! Instead, boom at home and get to Age 3 ASAP. From there, you can send oprichniks which will almost always take care of a cannon shipment, and they can raid like none other. Drop down another TC, grab map control, and don't let him expand. From there it's really on you, adjust to the situation. Always keep scouting. Advanced church will help you a ton in the right situation.

In conclusion, stay on the aggressive, make sure he doesn't escape from his TC, and keep constant military and vill production. Remember, timing is key!

Good luck in all of your future endeavors with Mother Russia. Look for my new strat write-up, the Russian Livestock Boom, arriving in forums near you soon!

Russian Rush vs German
When the rush is defeated(Vs Spain, nasty lancers)

More recs are coming.

Feedback greatly appreciated

[This message has been edited by Syncope (edited 06-05-2006 @ 02:57 PM).]

Replies:
posted 06-04-06 11:11 PM EDT (US)     1 / 72  
Nice strat, well on paper at least.

Heard of my new Dutch strat? I'm banking on it.
posted 06-04-06 11:18 PM EDT (US)     2 / 72  
Yea, very nice strat, I'll have to try it, it's so well written.
posted 06-04-06 11:20 PM EDT (US)     3 / 72  
Thanks, it took me a while because I'm pretty weak at BBCode.
posted 06-04-06 11:21 PM EDT (US)     4 / 72  
not bad, I do similar things.

Just a few things to add. You absolutley must scout like crazy. Make sure every herd of animals is on your map and that you check them frequently to see if any have magicaly fallen over.

I don't really like the 6 opri or the 11 musket cards in your deck though. I can see why you have them there. one for rainding etc. and the other for anti-cav and a little meat to go with your strets.
-Whenver I make opri that are effective I usually need at least 10 or so. 6 never does it for me. Ditto for the muskets. 11 just isn't a whole lot.

if you have to have anti cav thats not going to cost you money, maybe go for the cav archers card.

I also have never really had much luck with the ransack card. Strets still do crappy siege damage with it. I save that card for team games.

And lastly, you must have the 1000 wood card!!!! it helps the church tech out tremedously and facilitates another TC.

good overall guide. i like it.

posted 06-04-06 11:33 PM EDT (US)     5 / 72  
I just love opri too much to give that card up, plus it owns 2 cannon card and villagers. I'll try out the cav archer card though. And I think ransack is a good card. It's just not too attractive.
posted 06-04-06 11:35 PM EDT (US)     6 / 72  
Very similar to Stophon's strat, but easier for noobs (like myself) to understand. Very detailed and well written.

As a horrible player myself, I constantly mess up the timing of my rush. Last game I decided to start asking advice from opponents who beat me (what did I do wrong, how can I approve, etc.). The first guy I spoke to was a 2K+ Ottoman. His advice? "Get the rush in earlier. Every second counts."

Great screenshots on the deck...sometimes I hit the F6, but often I'm too lazy...never again will I neglect it.

posted 06-05-06 01:45 AM EDT (US)     7 / 72  
Thanks for this, I was looking for something like this

Very well laid out too, good job on this!

Bill: Bob, I see troops advancing.
Bob: Damn, I can't get my grenades to light. Get over here and block the wind.
Bill: Do you hear gunshots?
Bob: I'm running out of matches. Hurry up.
bill: They just shanked john.
bob: He'll be dearly missed. Now help me ligh-
posted 06-05-06 03:58 AM EDT (US)     8 / 72  
Ah yes, you did this strat vs me on Rookies, I was surprised how well you did even when my Spahi's took down your strelets, and still you won
Well, it was a GG, I'll try out this strat when I play Russia again.
posted 06-05-06 04:13 AM EDT (US)     9 / 72  
nice strat, I used something like this when i was playing russain, except sometimes i would go with 20 vills instead of 17, have 2 blockhouses and pretty much end out the same as u.
and yeah i agree, Oprichniks are KOOL

Peace out
My strats:
Russian Fast, Agressive Strelet FF - FASAF - http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=15,30817,0,10
Ottoman super rush-http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forumsdisplay.cgi?action=ct&f=15,30144,0,10
Super fast Port FF-http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=15,30145,0,10
posted 06-05-06 06:14 AM EDT (US)     10 / 72  
It is indeed a powerfull rush, and I dont understand why people say Russia is UP, 33 strelets at 6 min!! That is hard to repell with any civ without getting crappy eco. Grens/pikes might be the only good counter in age 2.

btw. which level do you get 400w politician?

posted 06-05-06 06:21 AM EDT (US)     11 / 72  
Level 10
posted 06-05-06 10:35 AM EDT (US)     12 / 72  
I would put the 5 opris in your deck and highlanders instead of manchu but both are great. [manchu vs spain might be reasonable]

Who is more foolish the fool or the fool who follows
-Obi Won Kenobi

My favorite quote from a movie.

I am the 1 person whos cuetech is higher in 1v1 than overall :O

posted 06-05-06 11:46 AM EDT (US)     13 / 72  
yay you got it out. thank you. i owe u 1

Welcome to democracy BITCH!
60% of the time it works every time

[This message has been edited by Apocalypes (edited 06-05-2006 @ 11:54 AM).]

posted 06-05-06 11:46 AM EDT (US)     14 / 72  
hmm, no offense...but how is this different from stophon's rush? Other than it's in a very readable form - kudos for that.

Quote:

Look for my new strat write-up, the Russian Livestock Boom, arriving in forums near you soon!

NOOOES! I had claim on that Well, maybe this will give me encouragement to get it done

Join the media team!
FeaR clan
MSN: eiles3@comcast.net | ESO: Mattlight | Skype: Matt_to_da_light | Gamespy: TeHMaTFaCToR
When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded.
posted 06-05-06 02:46 PM EDT (US)     15 / 72  
I'm not exactly familiar with Stophon's strat. Isn't his about muskets and grenadiers?

*EDIT* Just added a rec of me vs a Spanish. Definitely check it out, I think it's Russia's best chance vs Spain besides FFing with Kalmucks.

[This message has been edited by Syncope (edited 06-05-2006 @ 02:53 PM).]

posted 06-05-06 03:59 PM EDT (US)     16 / 72  
ya stophon did musket/gren, which had already been done at the time as well....

I got no problem with people rewriting the same strat over and over and over and over. It all helps. Maybe someone that could not get the first strat guide will be able to comprehend this one etc.

I also like that this one has both the build order and the overall theme that goes along with it. gives you the bigger picture.

posted 06-05-06 04:09 PM EDT (US)     17 / 72  
This one sounds very much the same as Arrows strelet rush on agesanq.
But its ok, its a good strat.

Syncope do u use it on spanish FFers aswell btw? Because im a spanish player and ive had this rush happening to me a lot lately, but its real easy to counter as a spanish. (age up with tower, send 700 gold, FF with 4 hussars, meanwhile send rods, when in age3 send lancers).

posted 06-05-06 04:29 PM EDT (US)     18 / 72  
great game vs that spanish player. I love russia and always have more trouble than I should vs spanish. The screwed up part is that in your rec vs the spanish player - he didn't even build a unit producting building the entire game and he got to industrial. He fought the whole game with shipments alone from his 1 TP, not saying hes a better player but if he had not been so merc happy it might have been a lot harder for you. he only had 1 house so he got housed at begining and his lancers didnt come out for a while, tho they could have come out earlyer. It just annoys me how you have to be 2x better than the spanish player to win as russia, great game tho.
posted 06-05-06 04:35 PM EDT (US)     19 / 72  
Luckyass, try checking out that Spanish rec I provided. I don't really know if he played well or what, but he was a Brigader. And I'm not too surprised at the relation to other strats as it is a pretty standard rush. I apologize to anyone who had been doing this before and I am not trying to take other's ideas. It is merely a coincidence.
posted 06-05-06 05:06 PM EDT (US)     20 / 72  
This is an awesome strat... i used a modified version (i dunt hav 400wood polition) and well although i was slow... my opponent was ffing and i managed to take down most of his stuff and his tc rite after he aged to fortress.
posted 06-05-06 07:03 PM EDT (US)     21 / 72  

Quoted from matt light:

Quote:

Look for my new strat write-up, the Russian Livestock Boom, arriving in forums near you soon!

NOOOES! I had claim on that Well, maybe this will give me encouragement to get it done

Hehe, don't you love that strat?

posted 06-05-06 07:43 PM EDT (US)     22 / 72  
I really do, especially in team games. Well, I'm gonna write up a general russian boom strategy covering both a sea and livestock boom, so hopefully it'll be different enough

Join the media team!
FeaR clan
MSN: eiles3@comcast.net | ESO: Mattlight | Skype: Matt_to_da_light | Gamespy: TeHMaTFaCToR
When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded.
posted 06-05-06 08:19 PM EDT (US)     23 / 72  
I'll let you take that one. I'll take the 3 ATP FF. :P
posted 06-05-06 08:57 PM EDT (US)     24 / 72  
I'll say 'good job', but didnt you try this against me?

[img]http://www.aoe3-arena.com/sign2/WaCkO,3,0.png[/img]
posted 06-05-06 09:46 PM EDT (US)     25 / 72  
WaCko, right? Nah, that was a musket/strelet rush that I screwed up on. This one is more refined and quicker.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Russian Strelet Strangle
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames