You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: El ''Spanish Cross'' Strategy
posted 07-10-06 03:37 AM EDT (US)   
This is my first strat posted here so feel free to tear it apart if it doesnt appeal to you.

So im an avid Spanish player. Basically i love grabbing every trade post i can and shipping as many units as i can as quickly as i can. The only things i really build are war dogs - and i do build alot of them.

Im also big on natives, and i get them and start building pretty much straight away. However ive always struggled on Bayou simply because of the lack of trade posts. I didnt really know what to do so i have developed a strategy (though its pretty basic) for Bayou and times when you dont want to get the trade posts.

My Deck for el ''Spanish Cross''

Tier 1 - 3 villies, Archaic Training
Tier 2 - 5 villies, 700 wood, 700 gold, 8 pikemen, 7 rodelero, two towers
Tier 3 - 12 pikemen, 8 rodeleros, 9 rodeleros, 5 lancers, 2 falconets, fort, stradiots, highlanders, swiss pikemen
Tier 4 - Factory, Medditeranean army, 2 heavy cannon

The point of this strategy is to bleed the enemy of his resources. A successful game would be when he is turtled in without any hunt or gold mines available, and you have compete map control.

How to achieve this? Heres a basic build order

1) Hunts and Crates till you get to 800 food
2) 3 villager card
3) Archaic training card
4) Switch villagers over to food and gold (you wont be sending any crates) and gather 1200 food and 800 gold (200 from age up)
5) After aging up send the 2 towers card
6) With your 2 towers, and your age up tower place them guarding each of his closest mines or hunts
7) Send either 8 pikes (against forwards or ports), 7 rods for raiding, 700 wood to start building crossbows immediately or 5 villagers for eco - all are good choices
8) When aging up, build a barracks next to one of your towers
9) Have your villagers gather wood and food in equal amounts
10) Start building lots and lots of Crossbows and have them patrol any areas you havent towered
11) Along with your age up troops (pikes are best - protecting crossbows) start raiding him with crossbows. If he has superior military retreat to your tower
12) Ship Rods and pikes to protect your Crossbows
13) Upgrade your Crossbows

The rest is really up to you. He may have more villagers than you but with your three towers around his base, Your faster shipments bringing in troops quicker than him and your insanely quick building Crossbows there is no way he will have a bigger army than you. You should have him completely pinned down economically and militarily. How you finish him off is up to you (falcs work well).

If you would like to see the strategy in action there is a game here:

http://agesanctuary.com/index.php?portal=AOE3&fview=2&showtopic=65539

It is Babbled(spanish 2120) vs Kurokuro(Portugese 2278)

He is grossly above my skill level so the game itself isnt that interesting but it does showcase the strategy quite well i think, well better than my other recs against captains and stuff...

So if you have any improvements, criticisms or you just hate the ESO name Babbled post it here. Hope this strat helps some people out there

Babbled's Rules of AOE

1) As Spanish never play against Ottomans
2) As Ottomans never play against the Portugese
3) As Portugese never play against the Spanish
4) Never play against the Germans

[This message has been edited by Jargobae (edited 07-10-2006 @ 10:35 AM).]

Replies:
posted 07-10-06 03:49 AM EDT (US)     1 / 9  
Sounds interesting...I'll make sure to try it out

Bill: Bob, I see troops advancing.
Bob: Damn, I can't get my grenades to light. Get over here and block the wind.
Bill: Do you hear gunshots?
Bob: I'm running out of matches. Hurry up.
bill: They just shanked john.
bob: He'll be dearly missed. Now help me ligh-
posted 07-10-06 08:23 AM EDT (US)     2 / 9  
It makes me want to play Spanish again... but they have no strelets! Arg, I can't leave Russia .

The tower thing is bright, very good idea.

[This message has been edited by George_III (edited 07-10-2006 @ 08:23 AM).]

posted 07-10-06 10:34 AM EDT (US)     3 / 9  
Sounds pretty good but I'm confused on:

Quote:

Switch villagers over to food and gold (you wont be sending any crates) and gather 1200 food and 100 gold

If you're not going to send the resource crates to frotress then wouldn't you have to gather all but the 200 gold from aging up?

I'll watch the replay...

ESO: Steel_Reign

*Doles out the harshness*

posted 07-10-06 11:06 AM EDT (US)     4 / 9  
when heard x bows, i heard "retarded". but it actually seems kinda solid.

wheres your anti artillery though?

and of course, does not using 700 gold hurt your fortress time too much?

posted 07-10-06 02:07 PM EDT (US)     5 / 9  
I personally dont think its a smart strat, but if it works for you, go for it!

"Dutch are OP!"
"Iriquois are OP!"
"Stophon is OP!"

tEk Clan #1 US Clan
posted 07-10-06 02:58 PM EDT (US)     6 / 9  
let me get the basics straight...

1, you spend 2 shipments before age2, one of which is to improve something you will be using 5 minutes later, no?

2, your firast age2 shipment to place towers near his 2nd mine/hunt herd so you can see him 3 minutes later, no?

3, your second age2 shipment is not 700G, does that mean your fortress time is 8:30~ish?

4, you then go to fortress and spend 400res and use vet.xbows over skirmishers...?

5, so in essense, is it a vet.xbow supported fortress game around 9:30?

Correct me if i am wrong as i havent had the chance to see the replay.

[This message has been edited by ultimitsu (edited 07-10-2006 @ 03:03 PM).]

posted 07-10-06 03:04 PM EDT (US)     7 / 9  
I don't think archaich training or 2 Outposts are needed... just send 700 Wood so you can build the Outposts and a barracks

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
posted 07-11-06 11:43 AM EDT (US)     8 / 9  
ah but remember the walk time, and build time of those villagers gathering the crates and building the outposts costs you in resources as well.

Does this hurt your FF time...yes. But this strategy doesnt require a super fast fortress time. Its actually not that nessacary as Xbowmen can be built in colonial and aging up.

Why not just use skirmishers? Well good point, they are better and you dont need to upgrade them. Im not 100% convinced myself that Xbows are the best choice but damn they build fast. -50% makes such a difference.

I know on paper this strat sounds kind of flimsy with poor units etc. But ill leave you with this. As far as age 1 cards go, you really have to see archaic training in action to really appreciate its worth. I guarantee with your shipments and this card you will have a superior army to your opponent.

Watch the replay i guess. even though i lost, hehe

Babbled's Rules of AOE

1) As Spanish never play against Ottomans
2) As Ottomans never play against the Portugese
3) As Portugese never play against the Spanish
4) Never play against the Germans

posted 07-11-06 01:44 PM EDT (US)     9 / 9  

Quote:

ah but remember the walk time, and build time of those villagers gathering the crates and building the outposts costs you in resources as well.

Remember the walk time of the outpost wagons, and the build time.

And, remember that your opponent can kill it before it goes up, especially if he's Ottoman, Russian, or Dutch.

I am Rumour Kontrol.
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » El ''Spanish Cross'' Strategy
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames