Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Dutch "Stadhouder Surprise"
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 07-11-06 01:01 PM EDT (US)   
Dutch Stadhouder Surprise

(Appropriately named because of the surprise your opponent will have when you smash his base to smithereens with 22 ruyters (depending whether you shipped 13 ruyters instead of skirmishers), 5 Balkan Stradiots (mercenaries), 30 Stadhouders (Guard Musketeers) and 2 Heavy Cannon in under 12 minutes)

Note: I know that the three banks Fast Fortress already exists, I am not taking credit for it. I am merely developing it, as I don’t consider the Dutch Fast Fortress to be a viable strategy (sorry for any offence).

Overview

Dutch tend to get better as the game goes on, and this strategy aims to take advantage of this. While vulnerable to rushes, if you can make it to Industrial you have a very good chance of winning. Once in Industrial, you ship in some very powerful shipments, such as 2 Heavy Cannon, 13 Ruyters, 14 Skirmishers, and you use the Stadhouders in the Dutch Church plus the card, plus the powerful Balkan Stradiots.

Note: Level 60 is required for the 9 ruyters politician, but anything under level 60 has 8 skirmishers, which will do fine J

Required Cards (In order of most likely appearance)

·3 settlers
·700 Wood
·700 Gold
·Unique Church
·1000 coin
·2 Heavy cannon
·13 ruyters, 14 skirmishers or both (recommended)

Highly recommended Cards

·Factories
·Advanced frontier defences
·Fort
·8 skirmishers, 9 ruyters (just in case you need to fast fortress instead of fast industrial)
·Bank of Rotterdam
·Bank of Amsterdam
·1600 wood, as I guarantee you will be short of it after a fast industrial and 3 banks and sufficient housing for your newly acquired army (Isn’t everyone always short of wood anyway?)

Deck

Tier 1: 3 settlers, Bank of Rotterdam, Bank of Amsterdam, Colonel Militia and Advanced Trading Post
Tier 2: 4 settlers, 700 wood, 700 coin, Dutch Unique Church
Tier 3: 1000 coin, 8 skirmishers, 9 ruyters, 4 outposts, Fort
Tier 4: 1600 wood, 14 skirmishers, 13 ruyters, 2 Heavy Cannon, Factory, Factory

·Colonel Militia to help fend off rushes
·Maximum bank cards for late game
·Powerful age IV military shipments, 2 Heavy Cannon is a must
·Good age III defence cards, fort and 4 outposts; will help against rushers
·This deck could also be a Fast Fortress, if getting to industrial is too hard, or you need to buy yourself more time with age III military cards
·1000 coin is better than 1000 food, even though you have the coin from your banks anyway, you need to gather 3000 coin after that anyway, and shipping 1000 coin instead of 1000 food works faster in the long run, taking a whole minute off!
·Don’t copy this deck completely, because I am constantly changing it, Tulip Speculation could be added, and schooners for a water map.

·NOTE: Try and get as many Trade Posts as possible, but not too many that it slows you down. 500 starting wood and over, or a good wood treasure, then I would recommend two posts.
·If you only get one, you may have to miss your second Industrial age shipment, 2 Heavy Cannon must come first
·You can always use Mercantilism if you are desperate for more shipments if you didn’t get the second trade post. You can still attack anyway though.

Build Order

Age I

Collect coin crates first, and make a settler as soon as possible. After coin, gather wood, and make a trade post very fast, as we don’t want to miss the trader the first time, as you miss a lot of XP. After wood crates have gathered, put 4 settlers on coin, to maintain settler production. All remaining settlers and subsequent settlers now go to food. Ship in 3 settlers. Age up with 16 or more settlers and the 400 Wood Politician.

Transition

Keep the coin settlers on coin until you have 200 coin, then put all settlers on food, and have two settlers ready to train after you have aged. Wood treasure is what you should be after.

Age II

Ship in 700 wood firstly. Gather wood with 4 settlers, as soon as you have 350 wood build your first bank. Gather the 700 wood, and then get your other 2 banks up as soon as you can. Now put all settlers on food and as soon as you have a shipment ship in 700 gold. While you are waiting you can train 1 or 2 more settlers, as you will have excess gold anyway. Age with the either the exiled prince, or 400 wood plus a caravel if you are short of wood, but speed is the key. Continue to gather 1200 food. Ship in Unique Church.

Transition

Keep settlers on food. Wood treasure should still be at the top of your priorities list.

Age III

Get 2000 food as soon as possible and ship in 1000 coin as soon as you can. Your banks will gather coin regardless of what your settlers are doing, but make sure you have 1200 coin ready for when you hit 2000 food.

Transition

As soon as you have clicked up to Industrial, you no longer need food for the rest of the game if you win with the Stadhouders, so put all settlers on coin, as you have 3000 coin to gather (you already have 1000 shipped, but if you didn’t get the second trading post and you want mercantilism, then its 4500 coin). As soon as you have 3000 coin or whatever amount you need get some settlers on wood to make more houses.

Age IV

Ship in 2 Heavy cannon straight away, and continue shipping military cards as soon as they become available. Don’t get the Stradiots or Stadhouders just yet, as they will come regardless of population space. Make sure you have 3000 coin at all times, it acts as insurance if you attacked. As soon as you have what you feel is sufficient army, then attack.

If you aren’t rushed then not much can stop 22 ruyters, unless they have pikes, with are countered by the musks and the 2 HC. The Heavy Cannon and the Balkan Stradiots will kill mass skirmishers, and the Stadhouders are the protection.

armyballer - Another 3v3, this time my team is winning, (about an hour into it). One of the other team players admits defeat and resigns, then out of no where I get OOS message. I'm pissed, I again log onto agecommunity and see I have been given a LOSE. How did this happen?

AceOfKings - ender_ward hacked into your game and made it go OOS

Unban JamesLock
Replies:
posted 07-11-06 01:10 PM EDT (US)     1 / 37  
How do you make a TP and house at the outset as dutch?
posted 07-11-06 01:25 PM EDT (US)     2 / 37  

Quote:

500 starting wood and over

Wtf?

Some of this isn't making much sense to me, perhaps you could explain a bit?

And isn't stadhouder 2000 coin?

Quote:

if you win with the Stadhouders

Quote:

if you win

Quote:

if

Quote:

If you aren’t rushed then not much can stop 22 ruyters,

Quote:

If you aren’t rushed

Quote:

If

Get my point, lol? Too many ifs.

You gather coin in age 1...thats bad. It slows you down too much.

As Dutch, you either need constant vil production throughout+1 bank before hitting colonial (without mining coin), or vils from coin crates, not constant, but more banks after hitting colonial. (IE instead of two or three, three or four.)

I am Rumour Kontrol.
posted 07-11-06 01:28 PM EDT (US)     3 / 37  
I recommend building a bank before a TP. Once you get good at it, you can get a bank up during the transition to Colonial, a TP and another bank in Colonial, and a 3rd bank in the transition to fortress/early fortress. I'd then get another bank up as I was about to hit Industrial around 10 minutes.

I always find food to be a bigger problem than wood during a dutch FI. You need 5450 food for 3 banks and Age IV. That is a lot of herding, since you have almost NO map control for the first 10-11 minutes.

posted 07-11-06 01:36 PM EDT (US)     4 / 37  
stadhouders are 2000 coin yes, but you need 3000 because of the stradiots. You can always skip them if you don't need them.

Yeah your colonial time will be slow at the start because you need some tps (2 recommended)

Also, no strategy is flawless, as I'm sure you know, and every strategy has its own disadvantages. If you win with the Stadhouders... Imagine if I had said When, wouldn't I receive a lot more criticism? Every strategy has its own 'ifs'.

armyballer - Another 3v3, this time my team is winning, (about an hour into it). One of the other team players admits defeat and resigns, then out of no where I get OOS message. I'm pissed, I again log onto agecommunity and see I have been given a LOSE. How did this happen?

Unban JamesLock
posted 07-11-06 01:41 PM EDT (US)     5 / 37  

Quote:

Also, no strategy is flawless, as I'm sure you know, and every strategy has its own disadvantages. If you win with the Stadhouders... Imagine if I had said When, wouldn't I receive a lot more criticism? Every strategy has its own 'ifs'.

Yeah, but who attacks at 12+ minutes?

With this, I think you'd be getting stadhouders around 13 minutes...and Stradiots another minute or so.

IMO, if you're attacked before 12 minutes, you'll never get the coin out. 30 muskets won't save you from falcs.

And really, the bane of this would be ranged cavalry with massed LI.

Think about it, you only have 2 HC, and 15+ dragoons eat HC alive. The skirms? You have nothing to effectively counter the skirms, your own skirms merely break even with his, ruyters simply run around aimlessly when trying to kill skirms, and muskets are just slaughtered by skirms. You're counting on a shipment of 2 HC to combat skirms, thats not good. Especially if he has a couple culvs, or a lot of ranged cavalry (ranged cavalry is common nowadays)

I am Rumour Kontrol.
posted 07-11-06 01:48 PM EDT (US)     6 / 37  
30 GUARD musketeers won't save you from falcs? What avout the 5 Balkan Stradiots, I'm almost certain they can. What about 22 ruyters? I just told you, no strategy is flawless. Does Ender_wards FI attack before 13 min? I can have my geezers ready for -13. 2 Heavy Cannon would also pwn falcs. I But if I was rushed then yeah, I would die, but i would't be stupid enough to use it if I slightly supsected a rush. As soon as you hit Industial you should have 2000 coin which acts as insurance, you can instantly summon up 20 guard musks and any colonel militia if you sent it.

I have a picture but I couldn't get it on because I'm crap.

Unban JamesLock
posted 07-11-06 02:00 PM EDT (US)     7 / 37  

Quote:

30 GUARD musketeers won't save you from falcs? What avout the 5 Balkan Stradiots, I'm almost certain they can. What about 22 ruyters? I just told you, no strategy is flawless. Does Ender_wards FI attack before 13 min? I can have my geezers ready for -13. 2 Heavy Cannon would also pwn falcs. I But if I was rushed then yeah, I would die, but i would't be stupid enough to use it if I slightly supsected a rush. As soon as you hit Industial you should have 2000 coin which acts as insurance, you can instantly summon up 20 guard musks and any colonel militia if you sent it.

Dragoons. Dragoons kill ruyters, stradiots, and HC. Skirms and falcs kill muskets. Culvs, if there are any, kill HC as well.

How do muskets save you from falcs?

Whatever, you can play your strategy. You ignore half my post and reply to one sentence, lol...

I am Rumour Kontrol.
posted 07-11-06 02:04 PM EDT (US)     8 / 37  
your not gonna be able to stop those cannons if he uses them, he'll just meatshield them

Jesus loves me this i know.
for Chuck Norris tells me so!
posted 07-11-06 02:07 PM EDT (US)     9 / 37  
ok then skirms wtf pwn musks and dragoons pwn HC. I'm so stupid I just wouldn't think of putting my musks right next to my HC. And as im so nooby I wont get my ruyters to attack the goons as well. 2 blasts from a heavy cannon would kill a lot of his skirms, but it all depends on how well people micro. If you don't like it then don't use it, you can have it for breakfast for all I care, the only thing i can say to you and all your statements is that not every strategy is flawless. And I'm pretty certain I know what your next thread will be, so don't bother if its more of the same.

Unban JamesLock
posted 07-11-06 02:38 PM EDT (US)     10 / 37  

Quote:

Does Ender_wards FI attack before 13 min?

Yes.

But don't mind Mist. He loooooves playing armchair general.

"One wants to be loved, failing that admired, failing that feared, failing that hated and despised. One wants to instill in other people some form of emotion. The soul shudders before emptiness and wants contact, no matter the cost."
posted 07-11-06 03:13 PM EDT (US)     11 / 37  
no strategy is without flaws, but some has less and some has more, some has minor ones and some has majors ones...

your strat:

1, rather slow and inefficient age1.
2, rather slow age2 as well, 2 shipment required, which means you will be there for 1:30+, meaning a fortress time of...8:30+ ?
3, with such slow fortress time, lets say you only do it to opp who doesnt rush in age2, although counting on such is a risk, but lets say we take it. however you can not expect him not to attack in age3 either - you have zero defense in age3.
4, after clicking aging to age4, you trying to gather a whooping 4500 gold and you have to wait for a few shipments to come in, with your BO, on a normal map, i dont think you will pull everything togather by 14 minute.

but of course I would love to be proven wrong if you can show us a replay that demostrate the described speed.

posted 07-11-06 03:21 PM EDT (US)     12 / 37  

Quote:

armchair general.

Right, thats why I have a level 42ish Dutch HC and I created a strategy for them.

Right.

I am Rumour Kontrol.
posted 07-11-06 04:31 PM EDT (US)     13 / 37  
yeah, maybe it isn't great. It has a few too many flaws

I can assure you Ultimitsi, it CAN be done, because I have a picture of it, but I don't how to get it on, so sorry, you will just have to take my word for it. :P

This strategy in a nutshell: if you can survive that long then I am almost certain you've won.

What's an armchair general?

I would like some criticism in favour of it at least, I'm feeling EVERYONE doesn't like it (which they probably don't)

Unban JamesLock
posted 07-11-06 04:48 PM EDT (US)     14 / 37  
Playing armchair general is basically when you talk without any experience in it. For example, if I went into a russian strat thread and critiqued it, and said "this could be better" etc. without having any experience as russia, I would be playing armchair general.
posted 07-11-06 04:50 PM EDT (US)     15 / 37  
I will settle if you can provide a replay against AI - I just want to see if you can do it int he time you describe.

on a normal map, new england for example.

posted 07-11-06 05:20 PM EDT (US)     16 / 37  

Quote:

thats why I have a level 42ish Dutch HC and I created a strategy for them.

Yes, putting you right up there with the OP

agecommunity quote of the month Ok i have payed for this game for al my moneythat i get in a month so when i go online isee these 9 year old kids that beat me that have played for 2 weeks and i have played since release of vanilla so im pretty pissed of that es dosent want to do anything about the balance of the game.
posted 07-11-06 07:04 PM EDT (US)     17 / 37  
Constructive criticism:

1) 2 TP's pre-fortress?? You'll either be very slow to fortress or won't have banks up quickly, which is absolutely key to Dutch success. There's no way to gather 500W for 2 TP's+1050W for 3 banks+200W for 2 houses+2000F+2000G for aging+vils and make it to fortress at a reasonable time.

2) Use the fort as your first fortress shipment. That way you at least make them pull back and get cannons (more than the 2 shipped), giving you some time to pull this off.

3) Take out shipments you aren't planning to send. 4 villagers is a great shipment, but if you aren't going to send it in colonial, other shipments later on (fort, factories, HC, mercs) take priority.

4) Take the 1k food card instead of the 1k coin card to help you make the jump to industrial. It's much faster for a Dutch to gather 1200 coin than 2000F

5) If you're going to FI, mercs and merc armies are VERY helpful, and affordable with a gold-run economy. You don't have any merc cards listed at all.

Overall, I think a Dutch FI strategy has some potential. However, the Dutch strength is in mid fortress, after the shipment wars have stopped. A proper Dutch strategy can have a 10-15 villager econ advantage over (non-British) opponents when banks are counted in. The longer the Dutch player doesn't capitalize on this, the longer they let the other player catch up and surpass them economically by booming from multiple TC's.

Machiavelli_IUB
posted 07-11-06 07:09 PM EDT (US)     18 / 37  

Quoted from jaafit:

Yes, putting you right up there with the OP

LOL

note: OP means Original Poster.

posted 07-12-06 02:08 PM EDT (US)     19 / 37  
Machiavelli_IUB, maybe mercenary armies would be better.

I think maybe a more realistic version of that strat is to only send 2 HC in age 4, so you dont have to wait for the other shipment, but you can still get the Stadhouders and the Stradiots out for -12 min. You will als have aging up military.

Ultimitsu, sorry, but I can't get a picture on.

Unban JamesLock
posted 07-12-06 09:41 PM EDT (US)     20 / 37  
im still a noob, but i always like reading and trying out new strats so i dont think your strat is terrible.
posted 07-13-06 11:48 AM EDT (US)     21 / 37  
JArnick, if you were to do my strat do a normal FI with the Stadhouders and ship 2 HC, I'm thinking that would be better now

Unban JamesLock
posted 07-15-06 02:23 PM EDT (US)     22 / 37  
I think in most games ppl drool when they see that they get matched up vs dutch. Right now, they are a bit UP and can be a easy victim to a well executed rush. With this build order, I think most people will rush/raid you early. Without any defense, I don't think this would work on most games.

Currently, the best dutch strategy I've found is doing a very early age II (less than 4min). I think both Ender and Ultimitsu have posted variations on this (The FCUK stategey I believe?).

I love sending in 8 pikmen to tear down a few houses, or the Port's 2nd TC. It just isn't what people expect from the dutch, and thus I find it puts people on their heals and then gives you time to build a few banks and get off to fortress with a strong economy.

Edit:
I would also recommend taking out the Bank of Rotterdam and Bank of Amsterdam cards. The unique church card (which will give you 2 banks, albit at a very steap price of -10% speed) is the way to go. This frees up a slot (or two if you have the unique church card already in your deck) for a more powerful card (mercs, 1000 gold, 2 heavy cannon, etc).

[This message has been edited by TjRome (edited 07-15-2006 @ 02:43 PM).]

posted 07-15-06 02:55 PM EDT (US)     23 / 37  
SO WHAT IF HE'S A GODDAMN ARMCHAIR GENERAL sheesh. at least he knows what he's talking about

Check out my YouTube Page!
ESO - LO12DS_Fry

[This message has been edited by LO12DS_Frylock (edited 07-15-2006 @ 02:56 PM).]

posted 07-16-06 04:19 AM EDT (US)     24 / 37  
You think Ender_ward doesn't know what he's talking about? :P

Lolz, that's almost as funny as when someone said TGE was a noob because he used a livestock pen

Unban JamesLock
posted 07-16-06 06:55 AM EDT (US)     25 / 37  
To sum it up i think this strat would work "IF" u dont get rushed or heavely attacked b4 12mins.

And to other people talking about 'this counters that and then this runs round and kills that' it depends on who has better micro, but u are probally somewhat right as goons are quite effective i rekon and would probally take out the cannons, but i havent tried the strat and am not sure on how effective musks and ruyters would be in stopping the HC from being killed.

If u played Stronghold u might enjoy this http://www.zshare.net/download/sh-mix-mix-rar.html
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Dutch "Stadhouder Surprise"
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames