loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: DDS -A Russian Boom Strategy
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 07-15-06 06:27 AM EDT (US)   
DDS - A Russian Boom Strategy

Double Dock Schooner

Prelude

Some critisied my previous russian strategy - the deport, arguing that anyone sees me go to colonial very fast at 2:30~2:40 will know for a fact that i am going a all out rush, so that they can prepare and do all the right things to stop my rush. Build walls, ship towers, get a remote barracks... you name it.

To prove how wrong that is, here I present you a Russian boom strategy that uses the 2:30 fast colonial, exactly what some people believe to be a rush only approach.

Build Order

Age1

3 vils hunt, 2 vils on food crate, then hunt as well, leave all other crates alone. Explorer hunt food treasure.

If you started with 600 food, aim to get 800 food by 1:00, if 500, aim for 1:10. Age with Quarter Master.

Transition

Send Schooner as first card, explorer hunt for wood and foond treasure, build 1 house, queue 3 vils.

Age2

Gather 400 wood, 1 vils walk to the shore, build 1 dock, then hunt nearby, if no hunt nearby, chop some wood. Dock start making fishing boats. Send 700 wood as second card, once it arrives, build second dock, pump out fishing boats too.

you have total of 1200~1300 wood, you will need 200~300 of which for houses, 400 for dock, and you should have 600~500 left for fishing boats. 600 wood = 15 fishing boats.

TC should pump vils non-stop.

Send 700 gold next. Depending on your treause and starting wood, you should end up with 17~20 vils and 12~15 fishing boats and required res for fortress around 7:00.

yes, an economy of of ~34 vils at 7:00 and ready for fortress

Click aging politician of choice, choose excile prince if you are under no threat, choose cossack or strelets if you feel you are going to be rush or raided your self.

once arrive in fortress, ask your opponent:

"did you think I was going to rush?"

End of Build Order

Alternative

1, skip the 700 gold, send 600 wood, build 10 more boats and research first fishing tech, stay in colonial a little longer for a 50% bigger economy.

2, skip 700 gold and send 5 cossack raiding, put some vils on wood to keep boat production, re-assure him that you are still going to rush.

3, skip the whole thing and do Deporter.

More to come. Stay Tuned.

[This message has been edited by ultimitsu (edited 07-15-2006 @ 07:48 AM).]

Replies:
posted 07-15-06 06:45 AM EDT (US)     1 / 57  
ok well done

[This message has been edited by dArK_RidEr_UK (edited 07-15-2006 @ 07:45 PM).]

posted 07-15-06 07:14 AM EDT (US)     2 / 57  
Stop flaming mate, calling people noobs wont make you friends

Can't wait Ulti

"No Rush games are the AoE3 version of the special olympics". ~ Ender_Ward
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people
posted 07-15-06 07:19 AM EDT (US)     3 / 57  
Sweet, another strategy with an acronym...
>_<

Bill: Bob, I see troops advancing.
Bob: Damn, I can't get my grenades to light. Get over here and block the wind.
Bill: Do you hear gunshots?
Bob: I'm running out of matches. Hurry up.
bill: They just shanked john.
bob: He'll be dearly missed. Now help me ligh-
posted 07-15-06 07:28 AM EDT (US)     4 / 57  
I thought the deporter was a very good strategy and i thank you for sharing it with us.
i beat a colnel(sp) the other day (i am only a captain) with this strat i killed his tc wagon and he resigned, he blammed it on the lag but it wasnt lagging for me, probably just a bad loser,
if this strat works as you say then it will be very good. 34 vills and ready to go age 3 by 7 mins is sweet.
could u plz include some recs of this in action, i would love to see this, keep up the good work.

Welcome to democracy BITCH!
60% of the time it works every time
posted 07-15-06 07:58 AM EDT (US)     5 / 57  
I think that you'll have no choice but to give the author of FCUK full credit here. I see the same principles at work in this strat as in that one. (For those that are new -- Ultimitsu wrote FCUK as well.)

Thing is, if a Russian aged up that fast against me, I would know I was being rushed. I'd probably be preparing my defensive plans and gearing down on the economic investments. The bad news -- I'd be wrong. Being able to hide your move in this way is extremely powerful.

The Russian boom, with +50% vill production, is already freaky strong. This strat sounds to me like a loophole that gets you around the Russian lack of villager cards. Together with the deception this strat offers, it sounds like a powerful play. Thanks for sharing this.

Strategies:
- BWKiC - A British Fast Fortress strategy
- The Aztec Scout Slam- An Envoy Rush, Native-Style

[This message has been edited by Beatnik Joe (edited 07-15-2006 @ 08:02 AM).]

posted 07-15-06 09:26 AM EDT (US)     6 / 57  
nice strat but does this strategy really work?

I mean you should try it on like ~20 people who are maybe 2000 cuetech and who use different civs.

If you can win like 50% at least this strat doesnt seem bad to me.

posted 07-15-06 11:00 AM EDT (US)     7 / 57  
I think the key thing here is the surprise and the expectation that you will rush, since economically I think you would be better off doing a double dock schooner boom with a more conventional discovery age(later access to free wood, but more vils). Perhaps sending the 5 cossacks as your first card and 700W as your second? It would slow down your push to the second dock somewhat, but the raiding+perception of a suicidal rush could be advantageous. That would lead most reasonable people (the ones who wouldn't resign when you have 5 cossacks in their base at 3:30) to prepare a colonial defense; towers, pikes/x-bows, etc. I've done something somewhat similar on Hispaniola with Russia; there, with the extra crates, you can make 3 vils in Discovery and still have a 2:40 Colonial time. Then schooners, cossacks, 2 docks, and a defensive blockhouse in case they counterattack. Just something to think about.

Machiavelli_IUB
posted 07-15-06 11:27 AM EDT (US)     8 / 57  
i like it, will have to try it out sometime

[FeaR]{KingSteve3721}
“I love my name of honor, more than I fear death.”- Julius Caesar
"The Pope! How many divisions has he got?"- Joseph Stalin
"The hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain."- Napoleon Bonaparte
"Dogs, would you live forever?"- Frederick the Great (addressing retreating Prussians at the Battle of Kolin)
posted 07-15-06 11:33 AM EDT (US)     9 / 57  
Heh, pretty cool. Yes, I would be 100% certain of a rush and would prepare for one when I saw a 2:30-2:50 Colonial. This is further reinforced, and is more effective than with a FCUK, because Russians are expected to rush.

Hell, with that kind of economy you could utterly strangle your opponent with Oprichnicks.

"One wants to be loved, failing that admired, failing that feared, failing that hated and despised. One wants to instill in other people some form of emotion. The soul shudders before emptiness and wants contact, no matter the cost."
posted 07-15-06 12:01 PM EDT (US)     10 / 57  
Nice strat

If some people were so sure that you are going to rush in DePorter, these same people would imagine you're rushing here. Of course I think you should always have 700 Food/13 Strelets/5 Cossacks card just to make it more... obvious

And make sure the name of your deck is "DePorter"

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
posted 07-15-06 12:10 PM EDT (US)     11 / 57  
As ports I"ll ship 2 caravels, +1 age up one and then ship 2 organs and ronins and make a few organs too, which will totally kil all of your economy by around 9 minutes, and you will not yet have your first shipment out by this time?

Also tahts 4 shipments so it will work fine.

1st one is 700 gold, 2nd is 2 caravels, 3rd is 2 organs, 4th is ronins.

And 4th ones comesin at 8 minutes, so it wont be a problem time wise.

I use ronines to kill dock/blockhouse along shore, then kill all fishing boats, then after I make a few more organs guns I go for your tc, easy and sweet

And dont say I will think you will rush, because I will be scouting the shoreline,a nd if you do get first, it makes the game even easier to win

"Dutch are OP!"
"Iriquois are OP!"
"Stophon is OP!"

tEk Clan #1 US Clan

[This message has been edited by Stophon4 (edited 07-15-2006 @ 12:14 PM).]

posted 07-15-06 01:20 PM EDT (US)     12 / 57  

Quoted from Stophon4:

I'll ...

I want to be clairvoyant too!

"One wants to be loved, failing that admired, failing that feared, failing that hated and despised. One wants to instill in other people some form of emotion. The soul shudders before emptiness and wants contact, no matter the cost."
posted 07-15-06 01:21 PM EDT (US)     13 / 57  

Quote:

And dont say I will think you will rush, because I will be scouting the shoreline,a nd if you do get first, it makes the game even easier to win

There is where adappting come into play

And this wouldn't work anyway... I mean, Russia ages up faster and has the 2nd shipment faster too. So their 2 caravels would come before yours and they can use the age up wood to make also an outpost. Or use the 2 Caravels as first card, which is really effective, as I have already showed you.

And this is the part of the thread when people start to argue what may happen in the game and how each side would do it. Wait a few more mins and ultimitsu and Mist will be flaming each other.

I love HG

ESO - Walker

posted 07-15-06 02:18 PM EDT (US)     14 / 57  
rofl^^
you are probably right..

Most topics turn to a flame war between ulti and someone else usually Mist

posted 07-15-06 02:51 PM EDT (US)     15 / 57  
Haha, walker is right.

Well I'm no russia expert but I think this is a good sound strat as usual by ulti, most of us non-perfect players will expect a rush. I probably would.

Of course there will always be people like stophon who will know exactly what strat you are doing and be able to counter it perfectly, as is always the case in hindsight.

posted 07-15-06 03:14 PM EDT (US)     16 / 57  
You forget the importance of those wood shipments for russia xD

"Dutch are OP!"
"Iriquois are OP!"
"Stophon is OP!"

tEk Clan #1 US Clan
posted 07-15-06 04:43 PM EDT (US)     17 / 57  

Quote:

people like stophon who will know exactly what strat you are doing and be able to counter it perfectly

Well, I doubt that stophon4 achieved 2.2k without having a knack for choosing the right play in any given situation. A player at that level is, of course, much more likely to recognize pretty much anything you do while you're doing it.

As for me, I can guarantee that I wouldn't have seen it. Until I'd read this post, I thought Russia had no good fast colonial options except for a rush. Now that I've seen how deceptive this strat is, I'll be taking Stophon's advice and scouting those shores! It's simple advice but I so rarely do it in a timely fashion. I know that the Russian econ can become a total monster if left to its own devices.

Thanks... good info in this thread.

Strategies:
- BWKiC - A British Fast Fortress strategy
- The Aztec Scout Slam- An Envoy Rush, Native-Style
posted 07-15-06 05:04 PM EDT (US)     18 / 57  

Quote:

Well, I doubt that stophon4 achieved 2.2k without having a knack for choosing the right play in any given situation. A player at that level is, of course, much more likely to recognize pretty much anything you do while you're doing it.

My point was that no-one's perfect, and he says scout the shores etc. but does that mean he would actually do it in a game situation? Maybe, but probably not, and saying that assumes your opponent would not do anything to "counter" the scouting. What seperates skill levels above 2k is not knowing what is the right thing to do in a given situation, but it is actually doing the right thing in a given situation.

2.2k doesn't mean your perfect, in fact quite the opposite - it proves that you are not perfect. In that scouting scenario, stophon says he would scout for a dock, well then if the opponent is equal to that he would kill the explorer or put the dock in a hard place to scout or something.

posted 07-15-06 05:25 PM EDT (US)     19 / 57  
man ultimitsu looks awesome man,i cant wait to see what my opponents do if i ever try this on them lol, you da man
posted 07-15-06 07:46 PM EDT (US)     20 / 57  

Quoted from Machiavelli_IUB:

Perhaps sending the 5 cossacks as your first card and 700W as your second?

this sounds good, i will have to test this, in fact if i can get enough eco going with 1 dock and 5 boats from 400 wood, i may even go with 13 strelets on second card, then it is actually a Deporter with single dock.

i have to work out how many vils does it take to keep constant fishing boat production.

Quoted from Machiavelli_IUB:

I think the key thing here is the surprise and the expectation that you will rush, since economically I think you would be better off doing a double dock schooner boom with a more conventional discovery age(later access to free wood, but more vils).

from my experience, its not that different, if not actually better. discovery schooner boom is somewhat slow with russian, because it takes 3 lot of vils for russian to cach up to an economy that matches other civ, which about 3 minutes into the game.

i actually made this strat before deporter, and i had it as my primary russian schooner strat, but never bothered postng it until people say thet 2:30~2:50 colonial means definite rush.

Quoted from walker:

And make sure the name of your deck is "DePorter"

LOL, of course!

in fact this deck looks exactly like depoert, i got rid of one of the age4 cards and added the schooner, it has 13 strelets, 5 cossack and 4 cossack.

Quoted from Ender_Ward :

I want to be clairvoyant too!

So do we all!

but then we'd be like stophon4, all become the best player in the world, and all be doing that very original 14vil strelet rush.

posted 07-15-06 07:51 PM EDT (US)     21 / 57  
Ok flame war is about to start, so I'm out.

But at any rate, if I see someone with schooners in their deck I scout the shorelines.

"Dutch are OP!"
"Iriquois are OP!"
"Stophon is OP!"

tEk Clan #1 US Clan
posted 07-15-06 08:20 PM EDT (US)     22 / 57  
First, I'm going to ask a few questions...

1. Is this meant to be used only against Ports?

2. Wasn't the entire purpose of Deporter catching the Port off guard with a late deck choice? With Deporter, you selected your deck seconds before hitting age 2, with this, you send schooners during transition, thats very early in the game.

3. No good treasures? What do you do then?

4. Not meant to be used on Carolina/Hispaniola (if you still go by your previous logic)? That leaves very few standard maps to be used on, only Yucatan, Saguenay, Patagonia, and New England. Not to mention New England has few whales, its not the greatest map for a schooner boom.

Why would you schooner boom against a Port? He's bound to be booming himself, and once he sees your deck, he'll seal the deal with his own.

For example, Swinger's colonial schooner boom. 2 TCs, improved buildings, colonial militia. Colonial militia in itself is good enough to deter any attacks, so he can be safe, even expecting a rush. Not only that, a wall to deter cossacks doesn't cost much, only about 50-100 wood, and it's even helpful later, he can place some organs/culvs behind it (Flammifer, I hate you for that.)

Biggest reasons not to schooner boom against Ports:

1. They have 2 caravel AND 3 caravel cards. Your schooner boom goes down the drain around 8-9 minutes, he sends both cards, 5 caravels can take out a blockhouse+2 caravels+garrisoned dock with ease.

2. If that wasn't bad enough, Ports get free TCs with humongous range and auto-ship attack. With colonial militia the damage they inflict is sick, they just waste ships. So, you have basically no chance at damaging his schooner boom, while he can completely obliterate yours.

Quote:

Hell, with that kind of economy you could utterly strangle your opponent with Oprichnicks.

Not true at all.

Oprichnicks lose most, if not all, effectiveness against Portuguese after 8:00-8:30 on all maps except Hispaniola and Carolina. You can't overwhelm his dragoon shipments with opris like you can with cossacks, its just not possible.

Clicking age-up at 7:00 means you have no chance of denting him at all with opris, even if you use exiled prince. Use of exiled prince means you don't have any unit backup, your opris will usually be on their own.

On Hispaniola/Carolina, where an Opri rush-FF is viable, you can hit fort around 7:00-7:30 with 17 strelets, get 20 opris in the span of about 1 minute, and simply waste age-up wagons, forts, even TCs.

I am Rumour Kontrol.
posted 07-15-06 09:03 PM EDT (US)     23 / 57  
Who said this was an anti port strat??? LOL

Quote:

As ports I"ll ship 2 caravels, +1 age up one and then ship 2 organs and ronins and make a few organs too, which will totally kil all of your economy by around 9 minutes, and you will not yet have your first shipment out by this time?

Also tahts 4 shipments so it will work fine.

1st one is 700 gold, 2nd is 2 caravels, 3rd is 2 organs, 4th is ronins.

And 4th ones comesin at 8 minutes, so it wont be a problem time wise.

I use ronines to kill dock/blockhouse along shore, then kill all fishing boats, then after I make a few more organs guns I go for your tc, easy and sweet

Wow, have you been taking lessons from Mist? That was quite impressive playing in hindsight right there. You make Mist look like a noob at this...

You are what? 2200 at normal play? I think you could possibly be 2k4 or maybe even 2k5 at theory play.

What if you say, "Hey he has schooners in his deck!!!" Then you send 2 caravels only to be owned by the Deporter.

ESO : Pcfreak8
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L. A. van de Snepscheu
A pessimist is usually right and never disappointed.
Any history buff knows that nothing stops a cannon like a good uppercut. - BeatnikJoe
posted 07-15-06 09:28 PM EDT (US)     24 / 57  
ROFL @ Mist.

This is not an anti-Port strat, as far as I can tell. Although I don't see why it couldn't work against one with a few modifications.

posted 07-15-06 09:37 PM EDT (US)     25 / 57  
I think it would work really well against a Port that also tries to fish boom if you go agressive. Due to way faster Colonial, 2 Caravels as first card wouldn't let him even build a single dock and also make sure he wouldn't place the TC near the water. You can also add a Galleon so you can train troops near the shore...

Most Ports will send schooners as first card. If you don't let them get the water you have just destroied their card and their FF

ESO - Walker

[This message has been edited by Just a player (edited 07-15-2006 @ 09:37 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » DDS -A Russian Boom Strategy
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames