You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: British FI--offense AND defense
posted 07-21-06 02:33 PM EDT (US)   
Many players who have been around for a while have experimented with the British FI. The 2 and 3 rocket cards can decimate Fortress armies, even cavalry, and even a few culverins aren't enough to stop them. However, the trick is getting to Industrial fast enough to dominate an opponent's small-ish army, without getting crushed in the meantime. All of the FI strats posted on this site either are all-out FI with no military whatsoever before Industrial, or semi-FI making troops in Fortress before hitting Industrial at 14-15 minutes. My strat below is a compromise between those two approaches, giving both enough defense to head off an early Fortress attack, and a fast enough Industrial to do real damage.

The goal: Industrial 11:30-12:00 with 8 highlanders+fort, or highlanders+2 falcs, with 3 Industrial shipments ready immediately thereafter.

Required cards: Virginia Company, Glorious Revolution, 1000G, fort.

Highly recommended cards: 3 rockets, 2 rockets, factories, estates, falcs, yeoman, merc army, 8 vils

The BO:

Discovery Age: The Discovery age build-up is basically a manor boom fueled by Virginia Company. Send first 6 vils to hunt to keep vil production constant. Build 1 house at start. New vils go to wood. First card is Virginia Company. As soon as it arrives, build as many houses as you can, and keep building houses up to a pop cap of 70. Your explorer's main goal should be to find wood treasures, as this will allow you to build more houses. After Virginia Company arrives, new vils go to food, and switch all but 4 wood vils to food. Once you've made your houses, send wood vils to food as well. Click on age-up with 23 vils at 4:30-5:00, for a 6:00-6:30 Colonial. Use the 500F politician. Save your second shipment.

Transition: Move 16 villagers to gold, leave the rest on food. You should have 700-800F and 900-1000G when you arrive in Colonial at 6:00.

Colonial: Take 5 vils off of gold and gather the food crate. Aim to age-up no later than 6:30 for an 8:00 Fortress. If you got food treasures and will easily overshoot your needs, you can make 1 vil only in Colonial, otherwise don't make any. Research Glorious Revolution as your second card. Pick either the 400W/caravel or the 2pike/5Lbow politician; it's not crucial to the strategy which you choose. I like the 400W for more manors, but do what you think you need to do.

Transition: Your goals during the transition to Fortress are to gather 250W for a church, 1K food for Black Watch, and 200G, in that order. This requires some quick micro of your villagers and can be tough to master. If you are lucky and still have hunts near your TC, you'll need 12-14 vils on hunting. The rest go on wood until you have 250W for a church; this must be built before you reach fortress. Then send 3-4 vils to gold and the rest of your wood villagers are re-tasked to food. Once you have 200G, the gold villagers go to food as well.

Fortress: You should have arrived in Fortress ~8:00 with 1000F, a church, and a shipment ready. Send Black Watch and your first shipment. This should either be 2 falcs or a fort. If you don't think you'll be attacked prior to the fort foundation getting built, send this. Otherwise, send 2 falcs. Use the Black Watch +/- MM and TC fire to push back any early Fortress attack. Your second shipment should come soon after your first arrives. Send 1000G. If you have herdables, eat them as fast as possible to speed things up. Make no villagers. Click age-up between 9:30-10:30, depending on food treasures and herdables. Choose the 1000G politician.

Transition: Your goals during the transition to Industrial are to 1) not die, 2) keep your Black Watch alive, 3) have 500G saved up when you hit Industrial, and 4) have some anti-cav produced. Your fort is handy for this so you don't need a stable. If you chose the 400W politician for Fortress, build 4 more manors for more villagers. Alternatively, you could build 1 manor+TP with the wood; I'm still experimenting with this approach. Your villagers should be split with about 16-18 on gold, the rest on food. If you are out of hunts, consider far hunting vs. building a farm or use berries. Build as many dragoons as you can afford. You should hit Industrial with 24-28 villagers, 8 Black Watch, 3-4 dragoons, a fort and a shipment.

Industrial: When you first arrive in Industrial, you should have 1 shipment ready. Send 3 rockets. Gather the 1000G crates. As soon as you have 1500G, research mercantilism. This should give you another 3 shipments, which turn into 2 rockets and two factories. By the time the factories arrive, you'll have another shipment available.

At this point, it's about 13:00 into the game. You have 8 Black Watch, 3-4 dragoons, and 5 rockets. Now you're ready to take the offensive and open up a can of whoopass with your rockets. From here, keep your rockets protected and counter whatever they're doing. Dragoons/Lbows/rockets is a nearly impossible combination to stop if you have decent micro. Future shipments are up to you, but after the 2 factories are up producing rockets, I'll either send merc army or estates, but it really depends on the situation.

Pros of this strategy: Leverage British economy into quick Industrial with superior technology. Some defense to prevent a delayed FF from rolling over your town. Can be converted to a FF if you are under heavy pressure. Excellent follow-up econ; you probably have more villagers than any other non-British opponent and can continue to make units if your initial attack gets exhausted.

Cons of this strategy: Extremely vulnerable to a rush with a 6:00 Colonial time. A quick FF attack that takes down the fort could be disasterous. Requires somewhat intense villager re-allocation.

Thoughts and comments appreciated; flames and stupid comments along the lines of "if I knew you were going to FI, of course I'd rush you and you'd die" will be ignored.

Machiavelli_IUB

[This message has been edited by Machiavelli_IUB (edited 07-21-2006 @ 04:13 PM).]

Replies:
posted 07-21-06 02:47 PM EDT (US)     1 / 14  
seems like an interesting strat, do you have any recs you could share with us?

Eso: Otis_
PR: 32 / 1980 on cuetech
posted 07-21-06 03:12 PM EDT (US)     2 / 14  
^ I second the above comment and request.

But what happens if you get attacked in colonial/early fortress before you have the Blackwatch?

And isnt having a 6:00 - 6:30 going to just beg your opponent to rush? Or does your strategy imply small military buildup throughout Colonial and Fortress?

I'm far from a good player yet, and ive only played 10 games or so, and in about 8 of them I was rushed playing as the British.

Also, i think the estates card would be a better choice than the Merc Army - you can pump out settlers really fast and boost your economy even further, which in turn will increase the rate at which you reinforce your small army and let your rockets pawn even more things.

" Studies have shown that people who say "Gameplay>Realism" are less likely to find girlfriends or lead a successful, rational life in the real world.

To see these studies for yourself, please click here."

~ Cy Marlayne

posted 07-21-06 03:20 PM EDT (US)     3 / 14  
Seems pretty solid. I'll try this strat over the weekend and see how it works for me. Oh, and that was an excellent point about the fort. I had actually stopped using the fort in my decks for awhile and I will now have to reinclude it, just for the cavalry training you mention. I don't know why I didn't think about that in terms of it saving me a quick 300 wood (instead of building that first stable), but I didn't. Thanks for the informative post and strat.

dre1919's Comprehensive British Unit Guide v.1
Fear the Redcoat Advance.
"The first casualty of war is the truth."
posted 07-21-06 04:13 PM EDT (US)     4 / 14  
I think it looks very doable and stable.

good job.

Check out my Blog at www.lohcenter.net
posted 07-21-06 04:27 PM EDT (US)     5 / 14  

Quote:

But what happens if you get attacked in colonial/early fortress before you have the Blackwatch?

As I said, doing this against an all-out Colonial rush is asking to die. This is really an anti-FF strategy, especially against people who hang back and amass a small army before attacking. Once you're in fortress, Black Watch arrives in 20 seconds, so any attack after 8:30 is going to meet with resistance. From there, you just need to protect your fort as it goes up, and make sure that the fort covers your working villagers so they aren't raided.

Quote:

And isnt having a 6:00 - 6:30 going to just beg your opponent to rush? Or does your strategy imply small military buildup throughout Colonial and Fortress?

If your opponent isn't committed to rushing from the moment they start aging up at 3:00, trying to reverse course and start a rush once you see that there's a 6:00 Colonial is pretty hard to do. It takes time to gather wood for a barracks, wait for the next shipment to get military, etc. Of course, proper scouting and understanding the ramifications of what you see, i.e. 6-7 houses at 3 minutes could lead to an appropriate adjustment of strategy. It's not a foolproof strategy and can be countered, but it can definately lead to victory if it's not anticipated.

I thought I had a recording, but I think I overwrote it Here's a link to my most recent game with it, even though I screwed up the build somewhat (1 too many vils in Discovery so slow ageups), superior military power won out against an equal opponent.
Game Stats

I'll get some up once I have the chance against decent opponents.

Machiavelli_IUB

[This message has been edited by Machiavelli_IUB (edited 07-22-2006 @ 08:20 PM).]

posted 07-21-06 05:12 PM EDT (US)     6 / 14  
Clicky

Almost the exact same strat as above with a few minor details changed. However, it seems quite solid, and I, having alot of experience doing this myself, congratulate you on also comin up with this rather unique british discovery build. I have been doin alot of tests with saving the shipment used for 3 vills in discovery and shipping both 700 wood and the Glorious Revolution in colonial. This lets you put up either 2 more TPs and a rax or gives you your church and a tp and a rax, or even for a forward tower to spawn your units from + the artillery foundry + wood for falcs. The possibilities expand 10 fold with this new addition.

Reading this has reinvigorated my desire to work on the strat! Thanks man.

posted 07-21-06 06:19 PM EDT (US)     7 / 14  
Good points Machiavelli.

Nice work by the way

" Studies have shown that people who say "Gameplay>Realism" are less likely to find girlfriends or lead a successful, rational life in the real world.

To see these studies for yourself, please click here."

~ Cy Marlayne

posted 07-22-06 07:22 PM EDT (US)     8 / 14  
Hmmm,Sounds interesting. Once i finally get around to lvling up my brits HC i'll try this strat.

P.S.@Tars, lol, my ESO nick is Fail_Safe. It's one of my favorite movies of all time.

posted 07-22-06 08:04 PM EDT (US)     9 / 14  
Very nice, i like the use of the 1000 g poli for merchantism.
i used to FI and send 10 musk poli but yours seems betteri will definately try this out.
i would suggest not sending ht merc army but estates, or 14 musk LB's. i will try it out 2morro and maybe post a rec if that is ok to show it in action, and to those people who said that it would lose to a rush, of course it would it isnt mean to counter a rush, its ment to counter FF so if u know u will b rushed just make the appropiate procautions.
once again very nice.

Welcome to democracy BITCH!
60% of the time it works every time
posted 07-22-06 08:14 PM EDT (US)     10 / 14  

Quote:

Almost the exact same strat as above with a few minor details changed.

Credit given where credit deserved. Except for saving the 3 vil shipment in Discovery, the buildup is basically identical, and was my initial inspiration for this strategy. I found that shipping the 3 vils made for faster resource gathering early on, but didn't improve the time to Industrial because I was slow in getting the two Fortress shipments (fort+1000G) I wanted before going Industrial.

Sending VC-700W-Glorious revolution definately opens up some sweet alternatives to your original opening, Matt. One option, of course, would be to use the 700W for manor booming, since you can account for church+foundry+wood for falcs in your original build. The question becomes whether the 7 vils built with manors will have enough time to work to equal or surpass the 3 vils shipped earlier; my initial guess is that they won't pay off as fast since some of them wouldn't come until right before you hit Fortress, but would make mid-fortress stronger. Obviously TP's, dock/boats, a rax/foundry or even slapping down a 2nd TC at the start of Fortress would also be alterantives.

Machiavelli_IUB
posted 07-22-06 09:25 PM EDT (US)     11 / 14  
well i say that this seems like a very solid strategy, but only one concern i have...even if you opponent starts aging up by 3:00; with an age up time like that, i think that you as a player should assume that they are going for an all out rush - which rightfully they probably are - i mean name the last time that when someone aged up into colonial at 4:30 and they DIDN'T end up rushing you at 7:00...so my question to you is, if you see your oppponent doing that, is there any quick way to pull out of the FI at about 6:00 or before so that you can try to counter them better? (i hope that makes sense) because your black watch ownt be here till about 8:30-ish, so that leaves a 1 minute 30 second margin of chance of them rushing you - any counter to that?

"When life hands you lemons, throw them at people!!" -unknown
"I'm not laughing with you, I'm laughing next to you!" - unknown
"Isn't saying that everyone is special really saying that no one is...?" - unknown
posted 07-22-06 10:16 PM EDT (US)     12 / 14  
My guide explains how to transition from FF/FI to rush defense. Click the "FF Smash" link in my sig or the link I provided earlier in the thread to get to it.

After some testing with sending 700 wood, I found that building a church and a tp and 2 houses provides a very powerful foundation for the FI. The tp helps power out shipments and even allows an extra fortress shipment for defense, while the church and 2 houses make up for the lack of 3 vills. I have found that this is a much better option than 3 vills, however, requires even greater economy micro than it did before, which is pretty tough already.

posted 07-23-06 11:49 AM EDT (US)     13 / 14  

Quote:

well i say that this seems like a very solid strategy, but only one concern i have...even if you opponent starts aging up by 3:00; with an age up time like that, i think that you as a player should assume that they are going for an all out rush - which rightfully they probably are - i mean name the last time that when someone aged up into colonial at 4:30 and they DIDN'T end up rushing you at 7:00

Um...most everybody going for a FF will age-up between 4:30 and 5:00 if they're doing a "normal" build (i.e. not something like what I'm proposing where you have a late Colonial but skip Colonial very quickly). It'd be the 4:00 Colonial time, or 4:30 from a Russian that'd worry me, although doing this strat against a Russian is suicide anyway because of the risk of rushing. Unfortunately, it's not possible to reverse course easily if you get caught off-guard (like a Port rush) because you're starting your age-up about the time they hit Colonial. Perhaps putting CM in as a card would be useful for this situation-it would buy you a bit of time until you get to Colonial with your stronger econ pumping out Lbows/pikes. Also, building walls to slow down the rusher's units would be very helpful, since you still have a minute+23 vils to respond to the threat. Of course, you still need to scout.

Machiavelli_IUB
posted 07-24-06 06:44 PM EDT (US)     14 / 14  
I've been using this as a guideline since I saw it (IE hitting certain goals such as black watch, and the fort), and it's working very well for me. I went from losing every game to an attack, to POWNING most of the players I come across. Usually the attack is enough to wipe out the resistance from both opponatns if you reach it between 13 and 15 mins. There was one game where I managed to defend my base, and march straight in and take over theres while they attempted to destroy me. They got a lot of villys, but thats where estates come in.

So far it's been a really good strat for me at least, thanks for sharing it.

Also, if you add the 26 skirm mercenaries you can get once you hit industrial really helps vs Ottomans that spam out janissaries. I typically get them just as my black watch is starting to die out, and send them to reinforce the rockets.

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » British FI--offense AND defense
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames