You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Strat- the Russian SCLUA
posted 07-30-06 05:52 PM EDT (US)   
This is the Strong Colonial Lightweight Unit Attack. I don't have a real set build order yet, but it's coming. It basically revolves around the three main weakened Russian units- the Cossack, the Strelet, and the Musketeer.
The object of this strat is to utilize Russia's cheap units in such a way so that they cover each other's weaknesses. It's reasonably fast and somewhat strong, but the real power comes from its ability to attack with good force in Colonial while not leaving your eco in a shambles, and countering many traditional unit combos in found in Colonial.
Here'a a real loose build order-

Discovery Age
Do a standard 17 vill Discovery. 1 house, all on food, during age up put 7 or 8 vills on wood and forward build a Blockhouse about a little more than halfway between you and the enemy. Your Explorer should be finding treasures (food or wood is good if you can get it) and scouting the enemy. Send one card only. the chioce is up to you- if it's a treasure heavy map, go with Polar Explorer. Otherwise, I like the 10% faster food gathering card or 300 food. Age up with the Quartermaster.
Colonial Age
This is where the fun begins. Immediately, you have another card choice. You can make another batch of vills and send Fencing School, or send 13 Strelets to your blockhouse. Build house and start cranking out vills- you could wind up with as many as 50 here in Colonial eventually. You will want a Market, for the eco upgrades, and a Stable up near your Blockhouse. Make 10 Strelets. Now you have a choice- there will be combat soon. You can wait for the enemy to come to you at your forward base, or send the first 23 Strelets into his base instead. I prefer to go on the offensive. The attack will probably be beaten back, but you can see what he's making and maybe stop his eco for a little while. After the battle, you want to start sending vils onto coin. Make sure you have enough on food and gold, with a little less on wood. Research the market upgrades. Establishing a trade route is awesome. Now, you want to send the 5 Cossacks card. Also start training more strelets, musks, and a few Cossacks. The ratio you build depends on what the enemy is making- if it's, say, pikes and grens, make lots of Cossacks and a bunch of strelets, with few Musks. The key here is that your 3 units cover each other- the Strelets kill the heavy infantry, Cossacks kill grens and light infantry (also artillery if your opponent reached Fortress), and the musks counter light cav. You most likely won't see any heavy cav. Keep pushing with your counter forces. You'll want to be sending Boyars, Riding School, and 700 coin/600 food. Eventually you'll be able to get to Fortress, as if you did it right you should have plenty of map control and a decent eco. Once in Fortress send the Fort to bolster your forward base, and have your Explorer build a TC there too. You can eventually ship more units like falcs and opris for strength and raiding. If you did it all right you should be able to keep pushing the enemy back until you can level his town.

That's the essence of it. So far I managed to beat a Major playing Dutch (I am a Master Sargeant) today with this. He weant grens/pikes and I countered with cossacks and strelets. He actually was able to sneak around and destroy my main base, but my forward base was so built up by then it didn't make much difference.
Feel free to critique. I'm hoping this will be boosted by the cheap Stable and +5 pop to BH in 1.08.

I won a thread!
CROSS REMOVED BY REQUEST OF MODS
Blood weighs more than tears.
Replies:
posted 07-30-06 06:12 PM EDT (US)     1 / 14  
Hmm not sure where to start ...

First off, gathering 250 wood during advancing usually means sacrificing your economy for wood only, leaving you without the required food to create your initial infantry from your BH, and to at least create a batch of villagers shortly after.

Next, the polar card is a good card indeed, but it's rarely useful, only on treasure heavy maps, with treasures worth claiming. Sending 300 wood is probably your best bet, as it allows you to get you BH up before you advance, without sacrificing your wood economy. The 10% faster food gather card takes too long to make effective, and since you aren't going to have that long to take advantage of it since you are basically rushing, renders is not as useful as a military shipment or raw resource shipment.

I'm curious how well the fencing school card works, because if you do a 17 vill colonial you will probably not hit colonial until 5:00-5:30. Your already at least 15-30 seconds behind your enemy if they are FFing, which means your rush will most likely be crushed by fortress shipments, or you will be outnumbered military wise due to the fact they advanced significantly earlier. So I think the 13 strelet card or a cossack card is more important at this point in the game, especially since you are rushing.

Quote:

You can wait for the enemy to come to you at your forward base, or send the first 23 Strelets into his base instead

Wait to be crushed by fortress shipments? No thank you. Russia has the ability to have such large numbers out so early in the game, so the earlier you attack, the better.

It would also help if you were more specific about the villager distribution, throughout the entire guide that is.

Quote:

Make sure you have enough on food and gold, with a little less on wood

Well you will need to create a house about every 30-60 seconds, depending on your potential to keep military and villagers pumping, and because wood gathers slowly, you will unfortunetly need more villagers on wood earlier on.

Establishing a trade route is only a good idea if you get the wood from treasures or shipments, because that wood would be better of spent on a market and economical upgrades, or a second BH for map control (near huntables and mines!). If you are researching economical upgrades, shoot for hunting dogs and the lumberjack upgrade. You most likely won't be needing that much gold, if you find yourself going gold heavy later on, upgrade it but only if seriously needed. This rush doesn't sound that shipment depended. And about cossacks. You get 9 from shipments, those 9 should hold you over for a while. That 200 wood isn't the easiest thing in the world to come by, so I'd avoid a stable earlier on. So what it comes down to really is either an artillery foundry, a stable, a market, OR a TP. Getting more than one could slow down your rush.

It sounds like the main issue with this strategy is that you can't make up your mind about what to do. The most extreme AoE3 strategies work, the strategies that aren't all over the place and have you concentrate on economy or military. In order to rush, you need to sacrifice economy. In order to boom, you need to sacrifice military. Lastly, apart from the economical, TP and stable aspect, this isn't any different from a typical Russian rush, maybe except for the 17 vil colonial.

Sorry for being harsh honest.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_

[This message has been edited by Brtnboarder495 (edited 07-30-2006 @ 06:15 PM).]

posted 07-30-06 06:40 PM EDT (US)     2 / 14  
and if he ff's he wins.

300 food is a never send, you might as well put3/4 on wood for house/strelets and rest on food for vills/strelets, or instead of wood for strelets gold for musks.

300 wood is better for the BH, though i do think PE is a very good card and can be useful on rockies, yukon, and NE especially but also on other maps.

this strat doesnt make much sense since he could just as well ff and your 23 strelets wont do a bit of harm. come with a hard rush or ff
othwerise its wasted.

posted 07-30-06 07:41 PM EDT (US)     3 / 14  

Quote:

First off, gathering 250 wood during advancing usually means sacrificing your economy for wood only, leaving you without the required food to create your initial infantry from your BH, and to at least create a batch of villagers shortly after.

I wound up with enough food. You get enough while aging up and housing for the 13 strelets to make vills and a batch of strels.

Quote:

Next, the polar card is a good card indeed, but it's rarely useful, only on treasure heavy maps, with treasures worth claiming.

Yah, I rarely send it.

Quote:

Sending 300 wood is probably your best bet, as it allows you to get you BH up before you advance, without sacrificing your wood economy.

I haven't tried it with 300 wood yet, I'm planning on doing it later today or tomorrow.

Quote:

The 10% faster food gather card takes too long to make effective, and since you aren't going to have that long to take advantage of it since you are basically rushing, renders is not as useful as a military shipment or raw resource shipment.

I've been switching back and forth between them. I find with Renders it's easier to get faster food later in the game, but it isn't as fast initially.

Quote:

I'm curious how well the fencing school card works, because if you do a 17 vill colonial you will probably not hit colonial until 5:00-5:30. Your already at least 15-30 seconds behind your enemy if they are FFing, which means your rush will most likely be crushed by fortress shipments, or you will be outnumbered military wise due to the fact they advanced significantly earlier. So I think the 13 strelet card or a cossack card is more important at this point in the game, especially since you are rushing.

Fencing school is very good, minus 40% of train time which is very noticeable. Sometimes I send units, sometimes FS- it depends on the enemy civ and how good the enemy is.

Quote:

Wait to be crushed by fortress shipments? No thank you. Russia has the ability to have such large numbers out so early in the game, so the earlier you attack, the better.

But you get the benefit of BH cover fire, and easy reinforcement.

Quote:

It would also help if you were more specific about the villager distribution, throughout the entire guide that is.

I will most certainly update the guide with this after a few more plays.
Well you will need to create a house about every 30-60 seconds, depending on your potential to keep military and villagers pumping, and because wood gathers slowly, you will unfortunetly need more villagers on wood earlier on.[/Q]
You need a lot of wood right as you hit Colonial, then if you can keep around 8 on wood at all times after that you can keep up with houses and the occasional strelet group.

Quote:

Establishing a trade route is only a good idea if you get the wood from treasures or shipments, because that wood would be better of spent on a market and economical upgrades, or a second BH for map control (near huntables and mines!).

After I got the Market upgrades there was 2 TP sites right near my base, and I had some spare wood so I built on it. There are natural lulls in the battle where you can stockpile wood for something like a TP. A second BH is good too, but you have to be able to defend it as well.

Quote:

If you are researching economical upgrades, shoot for hunting dogs and the lumberjack upgrade. You most likely won't be needing that much gold, if you find yourself going gold heavy later on, upgrade it but only if seriously needed.

I found I needed gold for Vet upgrades (in Fort) as well as cossacks. However, it is true that it is a secondary resource.

Quote:

You get 9 from shipments, those 9 should hold you over for a while.

ATM I only have the 5 card in my deck. I'll try it with the 4 card in addition.

Quote:

That 200 wood isn't the easiest thing in the world to come by, so I'd avoid a stable earlier on. So what it comes down to really is either an artillery foundry, a stable, a market, OR a TP. Getting more than one could slow down your rush.

I actually didn't build a Foundry till late, and got my 2 falcs from a shipment. I think it's better to go for a stable, then add a market as things progress. It's hard to predict how much wood you have to use on strelets and houses. Sometimes I can fit in a market, sometimes not. Usually I get enough wood eventually.

Quote:

It sounds like the main issue with this strategy is that you can't make up your mind about what to do. The most extreme AoE3 strategies work, the strategies that aren't all over the place and have you concentrate on economy or military. In order to rush, you need to sacrifice economy. In order to boom, you need to sacrifice military. Lastly, apart from the economical, TP and stable aspect, this isn't any different from a typical Russian rush, maybe except for the 17 vil colonial.

Yeah, I tried to go for basically a weakened but prolonged rush, and it doesn't work as well as I hoped. I'm going to try and see if it's worth it to keep using it, as it does have a little leeway if the rush fails.

Quote:

this strat doesnt make much sense since he could just as well ff and your 23 strelets wont do a bit of harm.

They aren't really meant to do any serious damage, they are there to scout and to weaken up the enemy's first army.

I'd like to add I would not use this if I suspected a FF was coming. It's a bit slow for that.

I won a thread!
posted 07-30-06 08:08 PM EDT (US)     4 / 14  
I used to do similar things...that is, until i discovered Arrow's 17 vil strelet rush at agesanctuary. It accomplishes everything you accomplish here, only better: map control with the blockhouse, economic pressure, vil production at home. Musks and cossacks make an appearance, as well. It kills FFs too, which is something this strat here will never do (don't try it against Otto FF though, it was a nasty surprise the first time those 5 Spahi popped out).

Also check out Syncope's Strelet Strangle here in the strategy reference. It's similar to Arrow's only with more consistant villie production. The recorded games are better too, imo, more entertaining.

Good job, I love reading Russian strats, and can't wait to see what new flexibility Russia has in 1.08!

posted 07-30-06 08:19 PM EDT (US)     5 / 14  

Quote:

I wound up with enough food. You get enough while aging up and housing for the 13 strelets to make vills and a batch of strels.

I find that hard to believe that you had your BH up, with 17 villagers, a house, and 385 food and 100 wood by 5:15ish.

Quote:

I haven't tried it with 300 wood yet, I'm planning on doing it later today or tomorrow.

You'd be suprised how much more effective it is.

Quote:

I've been switching back and forth between them. I find with Renders it's easier to get faster food later in the game, but it isn't as fast initially.

Well the goal of your strat should either be to get them to resign by killing villagers and/or housing them or not rushing at all. Late game it's really not that strong as it only boosts berry bushes and hunting gather rates, which are usually exhausted or not easy to access after age 4.

Quote:

Fencing school is very good, minus 40% of train time which is very noticeable. Sometimes I send units, sometimes FS- it depends on the enemy civ and how good the enemy is.

My point is that there is no way you could constantly produce strelets back to back while keeping up villager production at that fast of a speed that early in the game. If you sacrifice villager production, you will lose. So I'd advise keeping it in your deck, but I wouldn't send it as a primary rushing card.

Quote:

But you get the benefit of BH cover fire, and easy reinforcement.

Lol, a BH and maybe 10-20 strelets wouldn't cover you from lancers/hussars/cuirs and 2 falcs. If they make it to fortress, 90% of the time, you will lose.

Quote:

After I got the Market upgrades there was 2 TP sites right near my base, and I had some spare wood so I built on it. There are natural lulls in the battle where you can stockpile wood for something like a TP. A second BH is good too, but you have to be able to defend it as well.

That early in the game, one TP will suffice. A second BH doesn't normally need to be defended if you are continously applying pressure. It's just to contain your enemies economy and being able to get an LOS of what's going on in the area.

Quote:

I actually didn't build a Foundry till late, and got my 2 falcs from a shipment. I think it's better to go for a stable, then add a market as things progress. It's hard to predict how much wood you have to use on strelets and houses. Sometimes I can fit in a market, sometimes not. Usually I get enough wood eventually.

Market>Stable. Do NOT neglect your economy, as it will already be behind due to pooring resources into strelet and musket production, along with the fact you most likely sacrificed your economy at least slightly to rush.

Stables only grant you cossacks in age2. What are they good for? If you play properly, 9 cossacks will last you plenty long enough. Muskets+Strelets should be able to handle anything your enemy throws at you. The only thing you would be screwed against is falcs, but like I said if your enemy gets access to age3 shipments and falcs, you basically lose.

Quote:

I'd like to add I would not use this if I suspected a FF was coming. It's a bit slow for that.

Newsflash. Everyone but Ottomans and Russians will FF.

[This message has been edited by Brtnboarder495 (edited 07-30-2006 @ 08:19 PM).]

posted 07-30-06 08:55 PM EDT (US)     6 / 14  

Quote:

I find that hard to believe that you had your BH up, with 17 villagers, a house, and 385 food and 100 wood by 5:15ish.

More like 5:45 or so.

Quote:

My point is that there is no way you could constantly produce strelets back to back while keeping up villager production at that fast of a speed that early in the game. If you sacrifice villager production, you will lose. So I'd advise keeping it in your deck, but I wouldn't send it as a primary rushing card.

Not really constant strelet production, more like make a set, queue more vills, wait for vills, make set.

Quote:

Lol, a BH and maybe 10-20 strelets wouldn't cover you from lancers/hussars/cuirs and 2 falcs. If they make it to fortress, 90% of the time, you will lose.

As I discovered last game

Quote:

A second BH doesn't normally need to be defended if you are continously applying pressure. It's just to contain your enemies economy and being able to get an LOS of what's going on in the area.

Oh, I thought it was supposed to be another troop source.

Quote:

Market>Stable. Do NOT neglect your economy, as it will already be behind due to pooring resources into strelet and musket production, along with the fact you most likely sacrificed your economy at least slightly to rush.

OK, stable can wait.

Quote:

Newsflash. Everyone but Ottomans and Russians will FF.

*dies* I was hoping this will work better with the increase in age up time.

I won a thread!
posted 07-30-06 10:49 PM EDT (US)     7 / 14  
Yea don't worry, just try to take some of the advice myself and many others have posted into consideration. As you said, 1.08 will encourage colonial fighting, but won't really boost the Russians directly.

Good luck

posted 07-31-06 02:20 PM EDT (US)     8 / 14  
I've been working a similar start. But my online HC is not even high enough to get the 400 wood politician for colonial.

What I do is get 300 wood or arctic explorer first. Whatever you get its important to get a TP down ASAP. You will get one more shipment before you age, get 300 wood again if you have to. Build a close Blockhouse to secure wood/gold, then after you age up you will have a third shipment almost right away, get 4-5 cossacks to raid with.

During transition I put 10 on food, 2 wood, 5 on coin. That gives me between 600-750 food (berries vs. hunt), 90 wood and 270 coin by the end of aging. Plus whatever you were able to get with treasures.

Not sure about the timing if it works online or not, I fear the cossacks will come too late to effectively raid, but if you get 300 wood twice and age with the 400 wood politician thats 1000 wood you didnt have to cut.

Pump out as many strelets/muskets/vills/cossacks as you can, and just defend with numbers. If you can beat your opponents initial fortress merc/shipment army, you are looking real good, age up, ship church tech and research westernization (if you have lots of troops left), or ship the kalmucks if you dont. Keep lots of wood shipments in your deck and your golden.

At least thats the theory!

posted 08-02-06 11:49 PM EDT (US)     9 / 14  

Quote:

A wood based economy isnt that bad. U Shipp in ur strells. You annoy his eco While imprisoning him with Blockhouse. To do this your not going to kill him only to starve him of resource. Which works well. Make A couple of tp Send in 700 food upgrade the tp make it produce food. BUt A WOOD BASE ECO isnt that bad. If you wanna rush Tho I agree with you UNLESS you have Herdables cause then I know you can get enough food.

My Russia Guide
How to turtle withRussia AND WIN
http://www.skwizz.com/eso/Frstyle77/83.png
^_COPY THIS SMILEY FACE AND HELP SPREAD ITS POPULARITY
THE SMILEY FACE WILL RULE ALL. This is the offspring of THE BUNNY(^_^ GRINS AT __Sephiroth__)
posted 08-03-06 09:21 AM EDT (US)     10 / 14  

Quote:

I find it hard to believe that you can say that without actually playing Russians. No offense.

17 vil age up, blockhouse, and enough food/wood for a batch of strelets by 5:15 is quite possible.

Oh and BTW, 10 strelets cost 375 food, not 385.

Quote:

Well the goal of your strat should either be to get them to resign by killing villagers and/or housing them or not rushing at all.

No, its not.

The goal of any Russian rush is to cripple your opponent enough so that he is overwhelmed by fresh shipments in Fortress.

You just need to kill a few vils, to get your economy to surpass his. Why? Because your shipments are worse than his, you need an economic advantage to win. So, you rush to kill vils. If you can catch a house without losing strelets, go for it.

So, a pressure rush with the goal of killing 3-4 vils while losing few strelets, then killing shipments one by one, and finally aging up to fort around 10 minutes is a good idea. Then, you simply cut off his map control and use blockhouses as anti-cav-use strelets to overwhelm, send ransack, pump out several batches of halbs, and take out his buildings.

In 1.08, if your opponent stays in colonial, you should too. But, always try to hit fort first.

Quote:

Says who? 5 cossacks, 1 BH and 25 strelets will most definitely kill 9 lancers.

The key here is not losing too many strelets, and also engaging him one shipment at a time. A good way to do this is to let your explorer die next to his TC.

Send 5+4 cossacks for anti-cav, get a second blockhouse up (possibly on the other side of his town) and as you age up to fort yourself, make some muskets. Use the cossack age-up politician.

I am Rumour Kontrol.
posted 08-03-06 12:44 PM EDT (US)     11 / 14  
I've been trying this with the 300 wood first card, and it works a lot better.

I won a thread!
posted 08-03-06 03:47 PM EDT (US)     12 / 14  
THE strat I use is send 300 wood beginning after that get polar explorer. Then find a settler treasure on the opponents side of map, then i build a bh off in some corner of the map while I adnvence with 15 villes.after that send 700 food and wood when in colonial and ilet the rushing begin. then if that dosent work i start leaning towards cav in the later game.
posted 08-03-06 04:18 PM EDT (US)     13 / 14  
15 vill discovery???

I won a thread!
posted 08-04-06 12:35 PM EDT (US)     14 / 14  

Quote:

THE strat I use is send 300 wood beginning after that get polar explorer. Then find a settler treasure on the opponents side of map, then i build a bh off in some corner of the map while I adnvence with 15 villes.after that send 700 food and wood when in colonial and ilet the rushing begin. then if that dosent work i start leaning towards cav in the later game.

Spoken like a newb....
It would be faster to ship strells and make 10 more to get that fast 23 strells and attack him since they practically one shot any setler

Quote:

Send 5+4 cossacks for anti-cav, get a second blockhouse up (possibly on the other side of his town) and as you age up to fort yourself, make some muskets. Use the cossack age-up politician.

Also Cossacks own Cuirraser AS LONG AS they out number them 2 to 1 and they are the same statud(veteran/guard/etc).

My Russia Guide
How to turtle withRussia AND WIN
http://www.skwizz.com/eso/Frstyle77/83.png
^_COPY THIS SMILEY FACE AND HELP SPREAD ITS POPULARITY
THE SMILEY FACE WILL RULE ALL. This is the offspring of THE BUNNY(^_^ GRINS AT __Sephiroth__)

[This message has been edited by Frstyle77 (edited 08-04-2006 @ 12:36 PM).]

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Strat- the Russian SCLUA
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames