You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: O.H.S. (come find out what this stands for)
posted 08-03-06 08:28 PM EDT (US)   
Ottoman Hussar Surprise Strategy

With the new and improved hussars, i decided id try and use them when no one expected them: taking the
place of jannissaries in the ottoman rush. In this rush, you will surprise your enemy and raid them
while booming yourself. intended for use against brits, russians, and sometimes ottomans. (i have been

successful vs those civs)

Cards:
Age I: 3 villies
Age II: all 700 resource cards, 600 food and gold
Age III: 1000 gold, 1000 wood, 5 mamalukes, fort,5 spahi
age IV: 2 factory cards

Age I:
send 4 of your villies to shoot huntables towards your TC and start gathering food. the other 2 should
gather crates wood and food in that order preferred. after all the crates are gathered send them to
food. dont forget to build a house also.Have your Explorer build a TP on the trade route for the xp
needed for shipments. send the 3 villies as your first shipment. as they come out set the TC gather
point on gold so all the rest made for now are on gold. age up with the quartermaster (400 wood). once
you click the age up button send 2-4 villies onto gold mine.

Age II:
Gather the wood and build a stable. MAKE SURE YOUR STABLE IS BEHIND YOUR TC OR SOMEWHERE YOUR OPPONENTS
WILL NOT SEE IT. if they see it they will be prepared and all hell will break loose. Ship 700 food as
your second shipment. Once your Stable is built train 10-15 hussars depending on your status. in order
to do that shift villies depending on what you need. you should have many of your vills on gold while 4
-5 are gathering from deer/ crates sent from the home city. start to age up with the marksmen and 4
abus. Aim to have 1000 food by the time you age up. if you think you will have any extra shipments ship
in 700 wood for an arty foundry and a barracks. by the time you have your hussars out the
russian/brit/ottoman wil have their rush ready and will send them to you. heres where the luck will come
in. Assuming you will do a basic jann or abus rush, they will train cossacks/strelets/lbows/abus/ janns.
MICRO IS NEEDED in order to beat a jannie/abus combo. When the enemy sends these units at you you should
be able to win the fight, thus repelling the attack. The enemy will either:
A: continue the attack in the colonial age
B: Age up to fortress
Most of the time they will attack with the same numbers or a bit smaller but with a mixed number of
units. if this happens strike from behind the weakest units and have them chase you around your TC
taking fire from it.

Age III:
With your 4 abus out from your TC, ship 5 spahi with the food you saved up. start gathering wood for
more houses and a church for your villie upgrade. next ship 1000 wood for your next shipment to put up a
barracks, another TC, and an artillery foundry if you havent already put up one.upgrade janissaries once
you have the rax. you should have around half and half on food and gold, and around 4-8 on wood. Now
depending on what they send at you (probably cavalry counters) build around 5-10 abus and keep spending
your extra food and gold on jannies. IF you still have any spahi and hussars left you should try to raid
with them as much as possible. Attack the foreward base first to deprive them of their barracks or
blockhouse, and once you get another shipment put your fort around there. From here on its basicly
instincts rather than a build order.

WHEN TO USE THIS STRAT:
I find that using this strategy works well on texas, where you have a barracks already set up. The
resources are in the middle of the map too, so your hussars will have better raiding. another good time
and place is on hispanolia or carolina, when you start off with extra wood. This strat also seems to
work well against those pesky russian decks that just stack many military shipments. If you see that
they have a strelet and cossack shipment in their Age 2 part of the deck, this would be a good time to
use this strategy. British would be a risky but decent time to use it because they will make longbows at
most 30 of them, and hussars actually dont to that bad vs them in cost and pop wise.

Now im not the best player by far, and i dont know whether this strategy would work when you get higher
in cutech raking, but i just thought that the world needed a new strategy utilising (sp) the boosted
unit the hussar. While the main strat doesnt totaly revolve around it, it is the first strike that will
surprise your opponent, making LI to counter the nonexistent jans.
Well, Id like to hear your opinions about it (afterall this is my first strat)

*EDIT* wow, pasting this from notepad really didnt help its composure

Proud winner of the FFA Winter Round '07!
[Judgε][Epic Thread]
My Vods:[One] [Two][Three][Four]
"with all the bling on a mandsabar you could win the game by paying the enemy to resign." IL

[This message has been edited by Cookiecrisp13 (edited 08-03-2006 @ 08:29 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08-03-06 11:29 PM EDT (US)     1 / 22  
Sry But Building about 10 to 15 hussars takes a lot of resource. Your fortress Time will be really Slow. And If they Rush, it will be around 5:00 by that time i would have 13 strells 5 muskets at ur base destroying ur houses Which will house you. And those Hussars dont train that fast. If I see those hussars I quickly retreat I'll lost some men ofcourse. But I come back with muskets and 9 cossacks... And you will prolly be halfway or 3/4 to fortress (its way slower now.)

I know all strat can be countered but with all the colonial fighting the chance of this being countered is verylarge.
Maybe Jans and Stables Or Jans and abus Or maybe stables and Abus I tend not to make one kind of unit since its easier to counter. IMO The ottomans has one of the strongest Colonial units Abus GUNS KILLS ANY AGE 2 INFANTRY and jannies protects them from cavalry.

IMO The Classic Janny then abus spam is still far more affective since you should be expectin a lot of colonial fighting. But If you see them ffing go ahead youll be slower but youll be preety much using the same kind of units u use in colonial other than Cav Archer falcs and culvs.

IMO stay in colonial unless u KNOW they will FF

My Russia Guide
How to turtle withRussia AND WIN
http://www.skwizz.com/eso/Frstyle77/83.png
^_COPY THIS SMILEY FACE AND HELP SPREAD ITS POPULARITY
THE SMILEY FACE WILL RULE ALL. This is the offspring of THE BUNNY(^_^ GRINS AT __Sephiroth__)

[This message has been edited by Frstyle77 (edited 08-03-2006 @ 11:33 PM).]

posted 08-04-06 01:34 AM EDT (US)     2 / 22  
I didn't read it all but I can say that a hussar-first build from an otto would screw me up so bad it wouldn't matter when you got to fortress.

agecommunity quote of the month Ok i have payed for this game for al my moneythat i get in a month so when i go online isee these 9 year old kids that beat me that have played for 2 weeks and i have played since release of vanilla so im pretty pissed of that es dosent want to do anything about the balance of the game.
posted 08-04-06 11:05 AM EDT (US)     3 / 22  
THis strategy is only a counter strategy. When you know your opponent will be using LI or units such as Abus gun as their first attack force, this defence helps to surprise them and push them back. If they continue to rush, you will age up with some abus to counter it, and shipping spahi will still own whatever they have in age 2. You then start to make abus and janns

[Judgε][Epic Thread]
"with all the bling on a mandsabar you could win the game by paying the enemy to resign." IL
posted 08-04-06 11:31 AM EDT (US)     4 / 22  
I like it. It's similar to what I plan to try if I start playing as Ottomans again.

However, I don't want to completely defend. I was thinking of shipping jans and sending them in to fake the rush. I want the enemy to start building light infantry.

Then I'd start building the hussars, wipe out the light infantry army, take map control around their starting town and plan to finish them off in fortress.

Abus Guns and Grenadiers ARE NOT ARTILLERY!
MNBob's AOE Page
posted 08-04-06 12:44 PM EDT (US)     5 / 22  

Quote:

I didn't read it all but I can say that a hussar-first build from an otto would screw me up so bad it wouldn't matter when you got to fortress.

yea but 10 to 15 hussars will... thats..
1200 food + 600 gold.. for 10 of them.. maybe 5 or 7 but not 10 or 15..

My Russia Guide
THE SMILEY FACE WILL RULE ALL. This is the offspring of THE BUNNY(^_^ GRINS AT __Sephiroth__)
posted 08-04-06 12:52 PM EDT (US)     6 / 22  
I thought hussars were 80 coin?

I am Rumour Kontrol.
posted 08-04-06 01:03 PM EDT (US)     7 / 22  
Yeah hussars are 80 coin. to get the amounted coin while just shipping food you would need 400 gold for 5 thats 800 VS. to get that down to a decent time would need 6-8 villies on gold + the leftover from starting crates and maybe treasures.

this strat is basicly the same as building jannies. you put a decent amount on gold and then just ship food. If you run into problems aging you could build and arty foundry for abus against the anti cav thats sure to come of it.

I like the idea of the jannie fake though before I fully developed this strat it was basicly a hussar jannissary rush. The thing that makes it defensive is that hussars arent the best siege units. Booming in fortress and finishing them off in fortress is another main point of this strat too once you have the veteran jannies.

[Judgε][Epic Thread]
posted 08-04-06 01:45 PM EDT (US)     8 / 22  
I like this idea a lot. I have been doing similar things with the Dutch.

Do you think that making 2 stables would make this rush any faster?

posted 08-04-06 06:02 PM EDT (US)     9 / 22  
Not really. you probably wouldnt have the resources to utilize both stables in time and your better off making houses or a barracks or for another TC. After your first batch of hussars you will need to check when you get to 80 gold/120 food and then click an extra hussar on. Thats what happenes to me at least.

[Judgε][Epic Thread]
posted 08-04-06 06:02 PM EDT (US)     10 / 22  
My bad mist its 80 gold then.

Also Hussars cost 2 pop unlike jannies.

My Russia Guide
posted 08-04-06 09:18 PM EDT (US)     11 / 22  
Works amazing against Russians who aren't FF (idk...maybe 90% of them?). Hide the stable and you're golden. In the time they spend building muskets to counter the hussars (if they are determined to keep up the early attack), you go to fort and get the spahi that eat all russian age two units like no other.

One suggestion is maybe going with exiled prince. Getting the spahi out even earlier will kill any Russian military and still be alive to raid the hell out of him while he tries to get to fort. I'd rather have immediate map control and the 750(ish) hp beasts a minute and twenty seconds earlier than the 4 abus you get with them later while the russian goes fort and gets kalmucks.

posted 08-04-06 09:49 PM EDT (US)     12 / 22  
Sorry Since, but this should NOT work well against Russians. Less resources-worth of a musk strelet combo will severly damage, if not completly destroy, those hussars. Then I get to age 3 as fast as possible, and simply outboom you. That's if I don't see it coming and made strelets first expecting jans.

Spahi are beasts, this is true (I've had 50 strlets beaten by 5 lol), but they won't win you the game, and once my eco really gets going you're dead.

IMO

posted 08-04-06 11:21 PM EDT (US)     13 / 22  
Oprich FTW lol i just suicide them on french and get about 30 Cdbs even those my 30 dies. IMO thats a trade off i wonder how well they would do with settlers..

My Russia Guide
posted 08-05-06 01:02 PM EDT (US)     14 / 22  

Quote:

Less resources-worth of a musk strelet combo will severly damage, if not completly destroy, those hussars.

The most common Russian rush by far is 33 strelets and 5 cossacks at around 6-630. Some send smaller numbers in earlier, but very few start with muskets mixed in.

Quote:

Then I get to age 3 as fast as possible, and simply outboom you. That's if I don't see it coming and made strelets first expecting jans.

By this time the otto has been in fortress and gotten spahi out. Mix them with the hussars that you ran your strelets away from and have been raiding you for the last two minutes and, I'm sorry, but you will have spent more time running vills around and garrisoning than "booming". You've also lost map control.

I'm not saying this will win you the game, but it will certainly go a long way in giving you the upper hand since Russians have absolutely no counters to spahi until kalmucks come out (maybe at 9 minutes or later seeing as how you didn't plan on ff and wasted resources on the strelets).

I will give it to you that with proper scouting, this can easily be defeated. However, this is the case with almost every strat out there. My point is that this will work more often than not against Russians, which is why I consider it a successful strategy as a whole when facing them.

[This message has been edited by Since_1817 (edited 08-05-2006 @ 01:03 PM).]

posted 08-05-06 01:27 PM EDT (US)     15 / 22  
Oh I see we misunderstood each other. I was assuming I wasn't rushing since I never rush ottos. Haha yeah, this would obliterate 33 strelets, no doubt about it, I don't think I could recover if I marched into your town and found a bunch of hussars. I meant that i expected a rush. In this case, strelets plus musks plus sax shipment plus bh fire plus tc fire = ur dead.

Also, a lot of things counter spahi, not just kalmucks (though granted they're the best at it). Cav archers are ok, especially those native ones on Great Plains and Texas. even strelets and musks can do it, just stick the strelets in front of the musks, by the time the spahi kill the strelets, the musks have weakened them enough to finish the job.

Also, wouldn't Texas be a bad map to try this, since your opponent already has defenses set up? Just a thought.

posted 08-05-06 10:38 PM EDT (US)     16 / 22  
Well texas is good,(because you start off with a barracks) and this is more of a defensive tactic than anything. You need to age up with the 4 abus to help take out the muskets that are bound to appear. Hussars decimate the initial strelet cossack attack if you do it right.
Another hting about texas is that when you gain map control in the middle your opponent will be deprived of resources and you will get some good raids out of em.

[Judgε][Epic Thread]

[This message has been edited by Cookiecrisp13 (edited 08-05-2006 @ 10:40 PM).]

posted 08-06-06 01:54 AM EDT (US)     17 / 22  

Quote:

use against brits, russians, and sometimes ottomans.

Brits hit with lbows BUT all these civs run a good heavy infantry rush.

INFACT i almost always use pure jans (when i can - abus backup isnt useless) because i can get more seige attack with pure jans and rush faster by saving 300 wood on a foundry.

90% of russian players dont run a Skrelet Strangle.
Its a built in feature in my decks but any up-to-date russian player doesnt use pure skrelets.

Britain can easily retask to use musketeers at any time but because of the circumstances this would work best on them i guess. Brits expect heavy jans and possibly abus.

posted 08-06-06 03:58 AM EDT (US)     18 / 22  
When I prepare for Otto rush and the Otto goes early hussars it screws me up so bad : /

ESO : Pcfreak8
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L. A. van de Snepscheu
A pessimist is usually right and never disappointed.
Any history buff knows that nothing stops a cannon like a good uppercut. - BeatnikJoe
posted 08-06-06 09:04 PM EDT (US)     19 / 22  
I pretty much stopped reading at "Hussars" the first time around, but I have re-read it, to give it a fair chance.

You say this will work against Brits? Mass longbows still do quite a bit of damadge to hussars, but yes they will lose. Now, the hussar cost is what, 120f, 60g or something? Sorry I can't exactly remeber. But they are expensive for Age2 useage. Let me introduce you to a little friend. 120f, 60g hussar, meet 40f 40w pike. Pikes are one of the fastest training units in the game. End of story. Switching from longbows to pikes is incredibly easy, since they actually cost 20 less food, pikes are aslo the main seige and anti-cav in a longbow rush, and are frequently already there in the first place.

Most people will put up 2 rax for colonial fighting, or strengthening a rush. Your putting up a stable, barracks, and foundry is mighty expensive, giving them even more time to have multiple barracks. That means big pike spam.

Even if you do go to fortress, you have spent a heavily delayed time, and be plenty open to a counter attack. If the enemy has already defeated your hussars, getting back off their heels is easy and going headlong again at you shall be as well. Brits can boom their way out of most prediciments (like failed rushes), and they can definetly have a better eco than any otto with his villis coming out at a snail's pace.

Much as I would like this, I cant say I will use it. Very intresting though Good job.

lol im a ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ for copying ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

[This message has been edited by Braveheart_LDS (edited 08-06-2006 @ 09:04 PM).]

posted 08-07-06 08:35 AM EDT (US)     20 / 22  
What about Ottomans?! Or Spainish? If I saw hussars coming at me I'd rig up 10 rods quick. Be PWNED hussars be pwned.

This would actually be kinda good against FFers. When they think you have jannisaries you really have hussars and pwn there light infantry like skirmishers and cannon. This would be good against Port. Cause of there horribly low hp units. French because of there royal guard unit skirmisher.

Not good cause Port has royal guard dragoons and French's overpowering curraisser.

*sigh* I wish you guys did this to CORES. Trying to improve it and finding out things bad about it. Instead of saying it sucks you could've just said it just a simple Ottoman strategy. I accepted that... You instead say it can't work against most civs. Thats implying it sucks in a way. Could've said that to me or something I don't know.

This rush would be good if you raided them a bit early or something. Then again Minutemen. There muskeeters in a way so half of your hussars are dead if you trying to fight them and if you run you lose 1 hussar when the low hp units use there muskeets on one of your hussars.

Lamer: FF.
Me: Why?
Lamer: Cause you'll be in 1 age ahead of the other guys and have a better eco, plus you can turtle and since its on your TC + couple of towers you can't go wrong.
Me: Uh, we're on the G Plains, how the heck am I gonna turtle?
posted 08-07-06 05:06 PM EDT (US)     21 / 22  

Quote:

French because of there royal guard unit skirmisher.

Quote:

Not good cause Port has royal guard dragoons

Ummm...unless I missed something huge here man we are talking colonial and early fortress. Royal guard won't come into play until age 4, which is way past when this strat is designed for.

posted 08-07-06 10:40 PM EDT (US)     22 / 22  

Quote:

"*sigh* I wish you guys did this to CORES"

Well you can dream but for the blood pressures of all involved, I have to ask you not to ressurect that thread. Sorry

lol im a ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ for copying ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » O.H.S. (come find out what this stands for)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames