Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Argentine Rush
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 12-02-06 07:24 AM EDT (US)   
The Argentine Rush is definitely the most powerful rush in the game. You can be at the enemy base within less than a minute with an impressive force of artillery and ranged infantry. The only problem is you have to survive almost 12 minutes playing Germany before you even get to play Argentina...

This is a non-too-serious strategy I came up with after I declared the revolution feature in TWC to be completely useless. I've used it a few times on the LAN, winning some games gloriously and losing others horribly. It's a complete gamble; I don't recommend it for people who care about their ratings. You have been warned!

The idea of this strategy is to advance to industrial as quickly as possible, revolt immediately, and go after the enemy base at with an army of

- about 25 Colonial Militia
- up to 14 Veteran Skirmishers
- 2 Falconets
- 6 Imperial Howitzers

I can do that in less than 12 minutes, better players would probably be quicker. Though I think, provided they would also face better opponents than I do, they wouldn't be able to get there under normal circumstances, as TWC seems to be all about colonial warfare these days. I devised this strategy as a little surprise for an opponent I knew I could expect to turtle. That's one of the reasons I prefer LAN games – you get to know your opponents better, learn about their style and try to adapt, bringing a new "meta-counter" concept into the game. But I digress.

Anyway, here's what I do:

- start out with the usual stuff, collecting food, creating settlers, gathering treasures
- age up with the Quartermaster (400 wood)
- build houses as necessary, nothing else
- age up with the Marksman (6 Veteran Skirmishers)
- age up immediately afterwards with the Engineer (2 Falconets)
- revolt immediately with San Martin (6 Imperial Howitzers)
- go after the enemy base
- win quickly, or lose just a little bit later

The only cards I play are

- 2 Settler Wagons (Age 1)
- 3 Settler Wagons (Age 2)
- 2 Settler Wagons (Age 2)
- 8 Skirmishers (Age 3)

The Skirmishers can be replaced by any other Age 3 military card, depending on what kind of opposition I expect. One of the fun things about this strategy is that the cards are completely nondescript, so I can "hide" them in any deck, luring my opponent into expecting something completely different. This also means that in principle I can switch to another strategy if I think I won't be able to make it in time. Chances are though that my weak economy will lose me the game in this case, so I'd sooner stick to the plan.

I don't build anything except houses, I don't research any upgrades either. All I'm interested in is gathering the necessary resources I need to revolt as quickly as possible (some 6500 food, 1500 wood and 3200 coin). Depending on what the opponent is doing I use the few Uhlans I get as raiders, for protection against enemy raids or as support for my explorer on a treasure-rich map.

If, by some kind of miracle, I make it far enough to actually get to play Argentina, the idea is to strike hard and fast. The Imperial Howitzers are the key, their long range and line of sight being superior to just about anything the opponent can field at this point. With appropriate protection from infantry plus falconets they can hammer any building into dust within seconds, including forts or town centers. Destroying enemy buildings at a high rate grants a lot of XP I can use to send reinforcements. As I have only used four shipments up to this point, I can quickly get more troops shipped in – Gatling Guns if I'm dealing with lots of infantry, Colonial Militia for everything else. And of course, Ironclads if I can drop them close enough to the enemy base for some offshore support. The revolutionary units are not great, especially completely unupgraded, so the key is to throw them at the enemy faster than he can kill them. Either way, the game will be over very quickly.

Try it, and have fun! Or at least enjoy that warm holiday season feeling inside you get for giving your opponent an easy win...

Replies:
posted 12-02-06 09:04 AM EDT (US)     1 / 29  
i seriosuly cannot see how this works, tbh i think it would be easier to just click the resign button.

But good job for trying

armyballer - Another 3v3, this time my team is winning, (about an hour into it). One of the other team players admits defeat and resigns, then out of no where I get OOS message. I'm pissed, I again log onto agecommunity and see I have been given a LOSE. How did this happen?

AceOfKings - ender_ward hacked into your game and made it go OOS

Unban JamesLock
posted 12-02-06 10:16 AM EDT (US)     2 / 29  
Don't you think a forward tower would help? Rev units arrive there, and can also provide a - small - help...

Lord Tahattus - Register yourselves at the WotTA forum!
WOTTA WEBSITE!
War of the Triple Alliance Beta!
Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!
posted 12-02-06 10:47 AM EDT (US)     3 / 29  
My French Fast Industrial can have 6 cuirs, 2 heavy cannons, 2 falconets, 5-10 skirms, and either 24 xbows/5 more cuirs by that time. And a 20+ coureur economy.

~·························································~
ESO: F1RÉ_FLÝ
~·························································~
posted 12-02-06 11:10 AM EDT (US)     4 / 29  
I think the problem is that revolution isn't supposed to be used in the way you are trying to do so here. You'll have zero econ to replace lost units whereas your opponent can do so easily.
posted 12-02-06 02:09 PM EDT (US)     5 / 29  
Economically you may be left struggling, but i think the amount of siege you have is a massive advantage, hence the "glorious" wins that are possible :P

might be worth a go, if im really bored

posted 12-04-06 03:09 AM EDT (US)     6 / 29  

Quote:

I think the problem is that revolution isn't supposed to be used in the way you are trying to do so here.

Well, how exactly would you say revolution is supposed to be used, if not to overwhelm the opponent with one quick, hard stroke?

Quote:

You'll have zero econ to replace lost units whereas your opponent can do so easily.

The idea here is to replace lost units by shipping new ones, and to keep the opponent from "easily" replacing his by wrecking his buildings.

But as I said in the beginning, this is a non-too-serious strategy.

Quote:

might be worth a go, if im really bored

That's the spirit!

posted 12-04-06 05:05 PM EDT (US)     7 / 29  
I guess the reason you are doing it is for the revolution Howitzers obtained?

Does anyone know what the possibilities are for each civ for going to revolution?

Currently retired from AOE3... moved on to LOTRO... yeah an MMO... but a fun one!
Hockey fan for Life:
"I believe the Canucks of Vancouver are formidable warriors." -Teal'c, Stargate SG-1
posted 12-04-06 08:52 PM EDT (US)     8 / 29  
Hmm yea I think it would work better with normal vils than SW because SW give you one MM where as they count as two vils, in which would give you in theory, a lot less MM. So if one was to even attempt a FR, your best bet would be to use Britain, Spain, Portugal, Dutch or Russia.

Again, I don't reccomend it though, by that time one can easily crush that combo either with an aggressive FF or even FI.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
posted 12-07-06 02:42 AM EDT (US)     9 / 29  
The following revolutionaries are available:

Bolívar, Peru, provides +5%HP for all units (available for German and Russian)
Bonifacio, Brazil, provides 20 Legendary Tupi Blackwood Archers (available for Dutch and Portuguese)
Hidalgo, Mexico, provides 10 Outlaw Riders and 10 Outlaw Pistoleros (available for Portuguese and Spanish)
L'Ouverture, Haiti, provides +10%HP for Militia (available for British and French)
O'Higgins, Chile, provides 10 Imperial Hussars (available for Ottoman and Spanish)
San Martín, Argentina, provides 6 Imperial Howitzers (available for German only)
Santander, Colombia, provides 3 Ironclads (available for French, Ottoman and Russian)
Washington, USA, provides +25%HP for Gatling Guns (available for British and Dutch)

San Martín is not available for any other civilization than German, and I don’t think any of the other revolutionaries provide enough firepower for a successful attack at this stage. Otherwise I'd definitely go for another civilization, probably Spain for the faster shipments.

posted 12-07-06 12:25 PM EDT (US)     10 / 29  
Hidalgo is a possibility if you can make some seige along the way. I say this, because the outlaw riders and pistoleros you get are guardian stats not saloon stats, so they are much better than you think

Currently retired from AOE3... moved on to LOTRO... yeah an MMO... but a fun one!
Hockey fan for Life:
"I believe the Canucks of Vancouver are formidable warriors." -Teal'c, Stargate SG-1
posted 12-11-06 02:58 AM EDT (US)     11 / 29  
The outlaws are better than the "normal" ones, but I still don't think they pack enough of a punch, especially siege-wise. The only way this works is if I can destroy the opponent's buildings quick enough to effectively cripple both his military and economy, and at the same time rake up enough XP for additional shipments to mop up, as I can't build anything after the revolt for lack of resources.
posted 04-09-07 09:13 AM EDT (US)     12 / 29  
I like this strategy, but I usually get my howitzers at 14 mins, but the problem is as soon as I hit industrial I get a shipment(all I sent so far was 2 wagons age 1, 3 wagons age 2, 8 skirms age 3) and I revolt with 19 colonial milita, but what is good about this is I can send 9 doppels(favoured), 12 more skirms or 13 ulhans. I think 9 doppels would be best as they take care of any cavalry.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry for the 4 month bump.

Quoted from Mokon:

Hmmm, I feel like a n00b for asking this but what is a female?

[This message has been edited by Newb At AOE (edited 04-09-2007 @ 09:14 AM).]

posted 04-09-07 09:45 AM EDT (US)     13 / 29  
Send Polish Winged Hussars. They're guard units!
posted 04-09-07 10:00 AM EDT (US)     14 / 29  
Ohh yeah, them too Mediolanus.

I tried this on a real opponent just now in a team game, my teammate almost got owned but my 14 skirms helped him and in the end, I almost lost all my howitzers on the forward base but I just sent gattling guns and colonial milita from home city.

I sent 12 skirms as my age 4 card, worked well even against 30~ longbows, 15~ muskteers and god knows how many cetan bows and warclubs. I think doppels or hussars would work well, as both of them sent cavalry to my artilitery and tried to take out my colonial milita.

The came stats can be found here(LINK).

The players where 1.55k~(me), 1.75k~(my teammate) vs both around 1.63k~.

Quoted from Mokon:

posted 04-09-07 10:07 AM EDT (US)     15 / 29  
I don't see the point.

In 12 minutes I will be at the Fortress age and have*I play as Russian*30 Musketeers, 3 Falconets, plus the 2 I get from my HC, 10 cossacks, 20 Halberds, plus a fort..........

Do you think - about 25 Colonial Militia
- up to 14 Veteran Skirmishers
- 2 Falconets
- 6 Imperial Howitzers will beat my army?

posted 04-09-07 10:18 AM EDT (US)     16 / 29  
I think 26 skirms, 2 falcs, 20~ colonial milita could stand a chance but don't forget you'll probably have a shipment so that's another 16+ colonial milita or 4 gattling guns.

It really depends on how you play it, sometimes it's pretty damn good, else it can be pretty damn bad.

To be honest you could just do a 16~ minute one in a team game and have the following:

18 Skirms, 3 Culvs, 9 Doppels, 10 guard hussars, 2 falcs and 20 colonial milita.

It isn't brilliant but you can do a lot with the strategy and it's fun to use on not-so-good players, as all you really need to use the strategy is 2 settler wagons, 8 skirms and whatever 2 cards you want, easy to fit in a deck if you want a bit of fun.

Quoted from Mokon:

posted 04-09-07 11:33 AM EDT (US)     17 / 29  
You said that you could be in their base in less than a minute.

To be quite frank...not even a russian player on carolina can make it to COLINIAL (on carolina) much less get to industrial.

Re-word.

That...and a wall would stop most of your army...

I also think that once they realized that you were in 4th age, theyd just make a massive military to hold your revolt off...

-blake

Supporter of Gay Marriage.
posted 04-09-07 12:14 PM EDT (US)     18 / 29  
I think he means walking to his base in 1 minute "with an impressive display of artilitery".

Quoted from Mokon:

posted 04-09-07 12:46 PM EDT (US)     19 / 29  
Blackeboy:
when you see someone in Industrial you dont make a huge amry for holding his revolt.
oyu assume he is FI, not FR.
posted 04-09-07 01:03 PM EDT (US)     20 / 29  
blakeyboi14 is right, and Eicho, if your opponent pulls off a FI, what are you going to do, wait and age up your self?
That is one option, or you could make a large army that can counter any Industrial shipment he might have coming, and in case he pulls a FR you will have a big enough army to defend your city until you age up yourself or his Eco lags so badly you can raid him and win in one blow...................

[This message has been edited by frederick bill (edited 04-09-2007 @ 01:17 PM).]

posted 04-09-07 10:25 PM EDT (US)     21 / 29  
can the Imperial Hussars revolution work? I imagine that if cavalry had better pathfinding, the Imperial hussar spam might actually work (since all hussars are immediately upgraded to imperial level).

ESO Nickname: Eisenhower
Favorite Age 3 character: Sahin the Falcon
Unban James Lock!
posted 04-10-07 02:39 AM EDT (US)     22 / 29  
You said that you could be in their base in less than a minute. To be quite frank...not even a russian player on carolina can make it to COLINIAL (on carolina) much less get to industrial.
Re-word.

Nope - re-read. You, that is...

To quote myself: The Argentine player "...can be at the enemy base within less than a minute with an impressive force of artillery and ranged infantry. The only problem is you have to survive almost 12 minutes playing Germany before you even get to play Argentina..."

Get it now?

I think it's fun to see people trying to refute something that was never be meant to be taken too seriously in the first place. Don't get me wrong though - I still think it can be pulled off under the right circumstances.
It's a shame I won't be able to use it anymore on the LAN (The people I play with would expect it by now, someone even used it on me - successfully...), otherwise I might try to slow it down just about 30 seconds or so to get the Polish Hussars in. That would definitely be enough to take out both "counter armies" that have been mentioned in this thread.

Btw, I think the key to beating this strategy (apart from simply attacking earlier and throw the whole thing off track) is to go out and meet the Argentine army before it reaches your base. Without enemy buildings to hit the howitzers are just sitting ducks with no combat value whatsoever. If you let them get close enough however - just think of your fort as 440 free XP for the Argentine player...

@ Newb At AOE: Glad you liked it, that makes at least two of us! One more and we can start a club...

posted 04-10-07 01:23 PM EDT (US)     23 / 29  
QUOTE "the Imperial hussar spam might actually work (since all hussars are immediately upgraded to imperial level" Are they really? If so a Impreal Hussar spam might work quite nicely.

[This message has been edited by frederick bill (edited 04-12-2007 @ 10:30 AM).]

posted 04-11-07 02:59 AM EDT (US)     24 / 29  
QUOTE "the Imperial hussar spam might actually work (since all hussars are immediately upgraded to imperial leve" Are they really?

Yep, they are. I might try a "Chilean Rush" at one point (probably with the Spanish), though I'm not too sure how good it will work - I have my doubts about the limited siege capabilities.

posted 04-11-07 08:01 AM EDT (US)     25 / 29  
Yeah, I do like this a lot. I also like it because as I've said, drop a few settler cards and you can get +10 of strong units rather than 3~ colonial milita.

I'll upload some recordings around 1600 level later. :P

Quoted from Mokon:

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Argentine Rush
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames