Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Aztec Scout Slam -- an Envoy Rush, Native Style
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 9  Next Page »
posted 12-16-06 12:29 PM EDT (US)   
This article describes a highly unconventional, even disturbing Aztec strat. (Recorded games may be found here .) What you are about to read may shock you and offend your sensibilities. Prepare yourself. In this article, I will ask you to use a card you've never played, to make a unit you've never created, and to construct a building you've never built.

So if you love weird strats and underdog units, you've come to the right place. If you've ever cheered on an envoy rush, I was cheering right along with you. And if you want to find out what has recently gotten me called a "n00b", cussed out and even drop-tricked, then sit back, relax, and join me as I take you through... the Aztec Scout Slam.

The "Light Infantry" Problem
As we know by now, classic "light infantry" (Aennas, Strelets, Cetan Bowmen, Skirmishers, etc.) tend to dictate the pace of combat in the game. Early on, they are countered only by cavalry-type units or other, more powerful light infantry.

Sounds fine so far, but why not just make cavalry? The problem is that cavalry have pathing issues and lose to their counters hard -- units like Pikemen rip down cavalry with a vengeance. On the other hand, the skirmisher family doesn't die so quickly to cavalry. This means that light infantry with an anti-cav meatshield is one of the "safest", most popular types of force troop mixes around. Ever tried dealing with Cetan \ War Club (and the shipped Axe Riders)? Not exactly a picnic, is it?

Don't you wish there were units that could close in with those Cetans and just... and just punch their lights out? One begins to wonder if such a unit does in fact exist. Ah, dare to dream. But... I suppose it couldn't hurt to look, right?

Looking for a Hero
So let's take a peek at (of all things) the humble "Native Scout." He's a harmless-looking little chap -- he's got no shirt, some cool blue war paint, and looks like he weighs about 120 pounds soaking wet. Here are his stats:
120 HP, 5 melee attack, 5 siege, 5.5 speed, 22 LoS, 10% ranged resist, Cost: 90 wood (180 villager-seconds) (Can stealth)

Pathetic! Clearly this weenie is not the man for the job. 5 damage? So why do I even waste your time bringing this silly unit up for discussion? Because the Aztecs (and other natives) have the Advanced Scout card, which raises Scout hitpoints by 50% and their attack ability by a whopping 200%! You will be able to train these guys from your Town Center for 90 wood a piece. (Problematic on a couple counts, I know, but more on that later.)

Here are the new stats for the new and improved Scout:
180 HP, 15 melee attack, 15 siege, 5.5 speed, 22 LoS, 10% ranged resist, Cost: 90w (180 villager-seconds) (Can stealth)

Let's compare that to the Coyote Runner:
150 HP, 18 melee attack, 11 siege, 6.0 speed, 12 LoS, 10% ranged resist, Cost: 85f, 25w (163 villager-seconds) (Can stealth with card)

That's right -- in a 1v1 fight, advanced Scouts break absolutely even with coyotes. Yet Scouts do not share the usual vulnerabilities to Pikemen, Rodeleros,etc. The cost is slightly higher, and the speed is slightly slower, but aside from that, Scouts stack up well in virtually every category.

Pikemen barely scratch them. They can charge into a pack of skirms \ pikes, throwing punches like an army of skinny little Oscar de la Hoya's. The numbers are right there for your perusal and they do not lead you astray -- when appropriately upgraded, these guys can hurt people.

In addition, a batch of 5 takes only 20 seconds to build. So if you've got the wood, you can get a scout army raised in a serious hurry.

Problems and Solutions
So now that I've convinced you that the Scout might be worth your time, let's address some of the obvious problems. Namely, that these guys must be built from the Town Center and cost 90 wood a piece.

Let's talk econ first. Since the unit costs only one resource, this gives us one major advantage -- wood upgrades will be extremely valuable to us. You can think of a 20% wood upgrade as a nearly 20% increase in the speed at which you produce scouts. The next wood upgrade? Another great boost. So we'll need to shoot for constant vill production, native wood upgrades ASAP (for a total bonus of +40% wood gathering), and lots of people on wood.

So on to the next question -- how do we produce these TC-only units without halting villager production and running your economy into the ground? The secret? The Native Embassy.

For those who've never used it, the Native Embassy allows you to build any native unit available to you on the map. Any allied minor natives can deliver units to any Embassy that you've placed. Luckily for you, Scouts fall into that category. Native Embassies cost 100 wood, but can only be built after you capture a minor native TP.

So basically, what do we need to do?

1. Get to colonial with a good economy.
  2. Not get killed by a rush.
  3. Get lots of wood upgrades and lots of wood choppers.
  4. Capture a native TP.
  5. Build a native embassy.
  6. Make lots and lots of scouts.
  7. Punch things.
  8. Make other units too. Find more things that need punching. See step 7.

There you go! I've told you most of what you need to know to get started. I can give you a sample build order that I've been using lately, but many varieties will work. I welcome your suggestions for improvement!

Sample Build Order
Note: All vill numbers are for villagers only, not for total pop. For example, 18 vills means a pop of 19/20 for 18 vills + a Warrior Priest.

1. 2 vills hunt, 2 vills to food crates, 1 vill to wood crate.
  2. Lay firepit, house, and perform fertility dance.
  3. All vills to food, age with 17-18 vills. Use the Messenger politician. Switch to gift dance (a step I manage to forget about half the time.)
  4. Important! Do not take unnecessary risks with your War Chief. If he dies, you will fall behind. Find your favorite local native TP and get close to it.
  5. Put 7 vills on food, 7-9 vills on wood 2-4 vills on gold. The number of vills on gold is decided by how close you are to wood chopping upgrades. The first costs 100f, 150g and the second costs 150f, 235g. Each grants a 20% increase in wood chopping.
  6. Ship 10 macehualtins when you hit colonial. Harass with them, but don't get them killed. Keep up with housing and vill production. Do not slip on this. You need wood and you need it fast. The vills must keep coming.
  7. Ship Advanced Scouts as soon as it is available.
  8. Once you have 250w free, build a native TP with your War Chief. Choose one whose units or technology you would potentially like to use down the line.
  9. When the native TP completes, build a Native Embassy, either forward if you're attacking or right at home if you are defending. It only costs 100w, so is easily spammed.
  10. Make scouts from the embassy. 5 can be built every 20 seconds. Attack and harass. Once you get a large enough group, attack large forces of light infantry fearlessly.
  11. Play econ cards such as 5 villagers, 3 trading posts, exotic hardwoods (for a total of +60% wood gathering), 3 Warrior Priests, etc.
  12. Diversify your econ as you see fit.

An alternative, perhaps more rush-proof build order is to keep your Warrior Priest on gift dance from the beginning of the match, and then age with 15-16 villagers. You can then instead ship 10 + 9 macehualtins and delay your Advanced Scout shipment.

Cards
The required cards are:

• 3 Villagers
  • 10 Macehualtins
  • Advanced Scouts

Recommended cards:

• 9 Macehualtins
  • 6 Puma Spearmen
  • 5 villagers
  • Exotic Hardwoods (+20% wood chopping)
  • 3 Warrior Priests
  • 3 Trading Posts

F.A.Q.
    Do you have any recorded games? Yes, you will see them if you scroll to the bottom -- there are five posted. You can also download them here .

WTF! I mean... Scouts? I know.

Come on, is a scout really that powerful? What if I make Rodeleros all day long like I usually do? Won't I pwn you then, u n00b? Scouts stand up surprisingly well to rods. Scouts kill rods in 15 hits, rods kill scouts in 14. If you have a gang of 10-19 macehualtin backing your scouts up, you can shred rods.

What have you inflicted on the community? Do these things have any counters at all? Don't you care about the non-native players?? Yes, they can be countered. If you download the game pack, check the game against Walker. He is the only player that has so far attempted to build a hard counter for scouts (quite impressive as he has only had the x-pack for a few days.) Since Scouts are classified as "Native" troops, spies act as a hard counter for them. If your opponent doesn't know this, well... life is much more difficult for them.

How about falconets? Yes, artillery can be quite a threat! You certainly won't want to hang around and get blasted. I'll just address the case where you are in colonial and your opponent is in fortress, as in fortress v fortress matches, Arrow Knights are the obvious choice. I'll also assume that you have been attacking your opponent throughout his FF to slow him up and that you have a large contingent of scouts by the time his cannons are out. (You have been harrassing an FFer, haven't you? If not, start today!)

Trick number one is to always be attacking so that if those cannons come out of the TC you can just mob them. If they are not properly shielded, his shipment goes down the tubes.

Trick number two (the fun one) is to try to kill the enemy explorer at some point before battle commences, go into stealth mode, and walk right up to the cannons. Since scouts do 15 per shot, it takes 14 punches to kill a cannon. If you close the distance, they don't have a prayer. Walk right up to them and punch each one. Don't worry about anything else but those cannon until they are dead. Then either run or punch your way out. (I perform this in the game vs. Russia from the game pack.)

It can also be a question of where the cannons are. You have all the line of sight and all the speed. If his cannons are turtling in his base, you can simply circle like a shark, harrass, and boom until you are fortress yourself. If his cannons are slowly trundling toward your base, he has to keep them protected at all times. You have the opportunity to raid his vills, stealth-raid his cannons or whatever else you might like to do. Overall, the journey of getting cannons to your base is fraught with peril, so you have a little time. Don't take forever though!

Any other hard counters? Lancers, spahi, and cuirassiers are all pretty hard counters (especially lancers.) But don't be fooled -- small numbers of each can be mobbed by a huge number of scouts. Even so, I recommend employing anti-cav for these situations. I know of no other hard counters, but most cavalry units (and rodeleros) at least break even with scouts. I do not believe native civs have any hard counters to scouts. They are in general not easy to counter at all, particularly if you do not see them coming.

Recorded Games
    You can download the Scout Slam Game Pack here. This is a rundown of the included games:

ScoutSlamVPorts.age3rec -- This rec is against Walker's Portuguese and shows just how annoying this can be against even the best-executed FF. He takes the honor of being the first opponent to figure out that spies are a hard counter for scouts.

ScoutSlamVRussia.age3rec -- A game against strelet spam. Notice how much sturdier scouts are against muskets (compared to coyotes.)

ScoutSlamVOttoFF.age3rec -- A game against an Otto FF, using the 19-macehualtin build. This game shows why I really like to carry the 6-puma shipment. Spahis are inevitable and a bit problematic for scouts. Notice, though, that if catch them out alone, scouts are capable of handling straggler Spahi very well.

ScoutSlamVSioux.age3rec -- This rec is unfortunately a bit ownage (the macehualtins do more damage than they should), but does illustrate the build against Sioux.

ObsoleteScoutSlamVSioux.age3rec -- This rec shows a completely obsolete, experimental build order, but the one valuable thing about it is that it shows Cetan spam get reamed by Scouts. A fun recording to watch as you get to see Scouts K.O. Cetans, Axe Riders, and even Dog Soldiers.

GL HF
    Hopefully this gives you a good picture of what this strat is all about, but please feel free to ask any questions you have. I welcome feedback on any aspect of the strat and I'd love to hear about any experiences you have while trying it out. Good luck and thanks for reading!

Thanks to Garlef and Septimus for feedback and ideas on the strat, and to Walker for post-game feedback (and not reporting my h4x to ES.) Thanks to Destiny_Devil for taking Scouts for a spin in team games. And of course thanks as always to MNBob for his unit sheets!

Strategies:
    - BWKiC - A British Fast Fortress strategy
    - The Aztec Scout Slam- An Envoy Rush, Native-Style

[This message has been edited by Beatnik Joe (edited 12-22-2006 @ 09:57 AM).]

• Replies:
    posted 12-16-06 12:41 PM EDT (US)     1 / 215  
    Well written to say the least.
    posted 12-16-06 12:48 PM EDT (US)     2 / 215  
    Well written! I would try it soon.
    Congrats for creating another awesome strategy( after BWKIC).

Ulti's word of wisdom :

since the start of aoe3, every unit that can move has been a direct counter to grenadiers, even villagers(since they have bonuses against siege troops)

posted 12-16-06 02:08 PM EDT (US)     3 / 215  
    It surprises me how misunderstood the advanced scout card has been. It basically gives the natives their own version of the european spies, a stealthy unit capable of stealth himself that can fight and siege decently. It has potential for the Iroquois as well as an anti-cannon unit. Kanya suck, so a few stealth advanced scouts can sneak up and take out falcs while ignoring pikes.
    posted 12-16-06 02:13 PM EDT (US)     4 / 215  

Quote:

throwing punches like an army of skinny little Oscar de la Hoya's.

Lol.
    I tried this but I never thought about using the native embassy.

"My fort was razed by cougars."
    posted 12-16-06 02:34 PM EDT (US)     5 / 215  
    I actually thought of this a little while ago. Tried it in single player and although they are good, I was not hugely impressed and therefore did not take it further. Good job making it into a workable strat though.

ESO : Pcfreak8
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L. A. van de Snepscheu
    A pessimist is usually right and never disappointed.
    Any history buff knows that nothing stops a cannon like a good uppercut. - BeatnikJoe
    posted 12-16-06 02:35 PM EDT (US)     6 / 215  
    Neat little strat, Joe!
    Very entertaining presentation too. Wish more posts like it were around.
    Definitely looking forward to watching the games, especially against that meanie Walker (I shall never forget the Tomahawk abuse in vanilla!).

Quoted from Beatnik Joe:

If you download the game pack, check the game against Walker. He is the only player that has so far attempted to build a hard counter for scouts (quite impressive as he has only had the x-pack for a few days.) Since Scouts are classified as "Native" troops, spies act as a hard counter for them. If your opponent doesn't know this, well... life is much more difficult for them.

That's because, unlike so many, he doesn't just scroll past my posts at Age Sanctuary, where I pointed out the little Spy problem when people were evaluating the Advanced Scout as a combat unit.

It pays to look a few times at MNBob's unit stats site.

"One wants to be loved, failing that admired, failing that feared, failing that hated and despised. One wants to instill in other people some form of emotion. The soul shudders before emptiness and wants contact, no matter the cost."
    posted 12-16-06 02:55 PM EDT (US)     7 / 215  
    It's always cool to see new strats like this.

I think it's sad the lengths we're sometimes forced to go to overcome the deficiencies of cavalry countering ranged infantry, though. :|

posted 12-16-06 03:25 PM EDT (US)     8 / 215  
    Hey, thanks so much for the kind words you guys! I hope you have fun with the strat... I really found it to be a blast to be able to surprise the heck out of people with scouts. I was amazed when after a time my for-fun strat finally morphed into something truly viable.

Quoted from TheGroovyGuy:

Kanya suck, so a few stealth advanced scouts can sneak up and take out falcs while ignoring pikes.

So true, and this applies to any situation where cannons are unguarded by an explorer. You'll see this done in the Russia game that I posted. It really adds a whole new set of options to your gameplay.

Quoted from Ender_Ward:

It pays to look a few times at MNBob's unit stats site.

That's who I forgot to thank! Edit time. Most of the hard numbers I have here are thanks to MNBob's unit sheets.

Quoted from Unthinking_Pain:

I think it's sad the lengths we're sometimes forced to go to overcome the deficiencies of cavalry countering ranged infantry, though.

Yeah, it's a funny thing, you know... after looking at all of this I realize how much the problem is compounded by how darn well anti-cav does its job. Without the immediate threat of pikemen, these coyote-like units perform quite well against light infantry.

Strategies:
    posted 12-16-06 03:43 PM EDT (US)     9 / 215  
    hehe Beatnik, gotta congratulate you on this strategy. I spent at least half an hour trying to figure out how to build them while not interupting villies even looked at your games.

p.s. thanks for thanking me.

[This message has been edited by Destiny_Devil (edited 12-16-2006 @ 03:45 PM).]

posted 12-16-06 06:39 PM EDT (US)     10 / 215  
    Easily one of the most humorous posts I've seen on this forum so far. Please write more often?

Other than that... yeah, the LI + pike combo is ridiculously hard to beat in Colonial. Kudos ES for having provocatively-dressed native boxing champs and James Bond-wannebees to counter it, as opposed to armoured riders armed with razor-sharp sabres or massed musketeers.

All Hail Giant Squid World Domination
    posted 12-16-06 06:41 PM EDT (US)     11 / 215  
    could this be done with the Sioux so that brits lbow/musk combo could be obliterated.

[This message has been edited by bischoffshof (edited 12-16-2006 @ 06:41 PM).]

posted 12-16-06 07:00 PM EDT (US)     12 / 215  
    posted 12-16-06 08:09 PM EDT (US)     13 / 215  
    It is just the best post I ever read here. Good Job
    posted 12-16-06 08:22 PM EDT (US)     14 / 215  
    I'm tempted to try this with Iroquois and Sioux as well. Does it work?
    posted 12-16-06 11:31 PM EDT (US)     15 / 215  
    I'm sure one of the biggest reasons why it works well for Aztec is due to the early firepit, thanks to the Warrior Priest (and the ability to ship in more). It allows you to speed up the production of these Scouts by 40% just with the starting Priest and the 3 you ship in Colonial. So they go from 20 to a mere 12 seconds. And your villagers don't have to dance, meaning you gather more wood.

"One wants to be loved, failing that admired, failing that feared, failing that hated and despised. One wants to instill in other people some form of emotion. The soul shudders before emptiness and wants contact, no matter the cost."
    posted 12-17-06 00:38 AM EDT (US)     16 / 215  
    Thanks for reading and commenting, I really appreciate it... glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Quoted from bischoffshof:

could this be done with the Sioux so that brits lbow/musk combo could be obliterated.

I definitely think that it could be, though I've never tried it myself. I've still yet to play a single game as Sioux, but not having to pay for housing certainly can't hurt! They also have the 400 wood politician at their disposal, so that should come in handy.

I have no doubt that Iro could do it as well, even though they lack the economic edge of the starting Warrior Priest or free housing. 2-3 free war huts is fantastic on maps where your wood is distant and difficult to protect (rare, but it happens.) It could be a nice way to stay alive until the scouts get rolling.

Other players more familiar with Iro and Sioux might have some good insight into how this can work for these other civs, but I'm completely confident they could execute it quite well.

Quoted from Ender_Ward:

I'm sure one of the biggest reasons why it works well for Aztec is due to the early firepit, thanks to the Warrior Priest (and the ability to ship in more).

Yeah, the boost of either 20% vill production or additional XP from gift dance help you get everything kicked off. The worst part of being an Aztec is the poor-quality politicians and the early wood pressure. Not having to lay a fast war hut (as in this strat) leads to a start with a little more breathing room.

Quoted from Ender_Ward:

It allows you to speed up the production of these Scouts by 40% just with the starting Priest and the 3 you ship in Colonial.

And speaking of speeding up scout production, you are permitted to build Native Embassies for only 100 wood a piece (up to 3.) If you've got the wood, you can get those scouts out in nothing flat.

Strategies:
    posted 12-17-06 05:35 AM EDT (US)     17 / 215  
    Congrats Joe, nice strat. Very well presented and I'm sure everyone will be doing it in a couple of days. You have proved that you weren't a one hit wonder with the BWKiC.

I was wondering when we were going to see the next strat, your sig said BWKiC, more coming soon! And it never did, but it's here! Well done.

armyballer - Another 3v3, this time my team is winning, (about an hour into it). One of the other team players admits defeat and resigns, then out of no where I get OOS message. I'm pissed, I again log onto agecommunity and see I have been given a LOSE. How did this happen?

AceOfKings - ender_ward hacked into your game and made it go OOS

Unban JamesLock
    posted 12-17-06 06:06 AM EDT (US)     18 / 215  
    Destiny_Devil did this once in a game on my team, but after he said i wasnt to tell ny1 coz it was ur strat nd u were still perfecting it.It was pretty impressive i have 2 say nd im sure youv made it even better.

Congratulations Serge - Winner of the FFA Spring Series 2008
    posted 12-17-06 06:47 AM EDT (US)     19 / 215  
    SCOUTS OP OP OP OP

In all seriousness I really enjoyed the recordings, its so fresh... so brilliant.

Just have one question, what exactly are scouts defined as? (could any one please link me to that site that compares 2 units to eachother?)

Well done on the strat, and for fiding out a rod-like unit for natives, something that once close beats LI and doesnt have to worry about anti-cav.

Note: I can see spies/agents becoming standar against natives while using europeans lol
    I look foward to using this with my aztecs... once I get a few more cards.

[This message has been edited by Gomezd (edited 12-17-2006 @ 07:11 AM).]

posted 12-17-06 10:56 AM EDT (US)     20 / 215  

Quoted from micky_t:

I was wondering when we were going to see the next strat, your sig said BWKiC, more coming soon!

Thanks micky_t! That placeholder represented tons and tons of strats that didn't pan out or got invented independently before I published.

Quoted from LordPatrick18:

Destiny_Devil did this once in a game on my team, but after he said i wasnt to tell ny1 coz it was ur strat nd u were still perfecting it.It was pretty impressive i have 2 say nd im sure youv made it even better.

I appreciate you guys keeping it under wraps while it was still incubating! The implications for team games are very interesting, since it's almost like a whole new class of unit was mixed in to the game.

Quoted from Gomezd:

In all seriousness I really enjoyed the recordings... Just have one question, what exactly are scouts defined as? (could any one please link me to that site that compares 2 units to eachother?)

Thanks I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the recordings. For your question, a great place to reference is MNBob's unit chart. A NativeScout is classified as Infantry, CanSeeStealth, HandInfantry, NativeWarrior. This gives him vulnerabilities to spies and lancers.

Strategies:
    posted 12-17-06 11:57 AM EDT (US)     21 / 215  
    I watched the record games, it was very impressive, Im working in one counter for scouts, Im trying a dutch's spies counter. I just age put everybody on gold, use wood to make church and houses, ship 700w for bank, houses and rax, agent card. Seens slow, but Im working on it, Im not done yet. I wanna invite u for a test game my name is the same on Eso.
    posted 12-17-06 12:55 PM EDT (US)     22 / 215  

Quoted from Beatnik Joe:

What have you inflicted on the community? Do these things have any counters at all? Don't you care about the non-native players?? Yes, they can be countered. If you download the game pack, check the game against Walker. He is the only player that has so far attempted to build a hard counter for scouts (quite impressive as he has only had the x-pack for a few days.) Since Scouts are classified as "Native" troops, spies act as a hard counter for them. If your opponent doesn't know this, well... life is much more difficult for them.

Thanks

Quoted from Ender_Ward:

That's because, unlike so many, he doesn't just scroll past my posts at Age Sanctuary, where I pointed out the little Spy problem when people were evaluating the Advanced Scout as a combat unit.

Well... actually, I did scroll past over this post (). But I have to admmit that it was a post (not yours though ) that made me realize such things. It was a particularly interesting Age Community post, where one was comparing the old OP Agents vs Native Scouts. I remmebered it and, although I had no Agents (not that this would matter much, since they aren't OP anymore), the 6x NativeWarriors came to my mind. At first I didn't think it would work... but I had already lost a TC so I gave it a try.

When I saw each of his Scouts dropping with 3 hits I was amazed! But I was too hurt to recover, and couldn't match his Macehualtins or his economy. Had I realized this earlier, maybe I would have won. I'm also going to blame my civ, which always get me to Fortress with a bad economy. I say that because Veteran Musketeers should match Scouts pretty well, but I didn't have the economy to make them.

Either way, congratulations for your strategy. Although the possibility of a Scout rush had been mentioned before (first time I saw it was in a post made for Ossian), no one figured they could be built in Embassies. Very well written post too.

We should play more games though. It was an... interesting way to meet you, but I'm sure you can play very well using more conventional strategies

After that game, I've put Agents in every single deck of mine.

Quoted from Ender_Ward:

(I shall never forget the Tomahawk abuse in vanilla!)

Don't worry. I'm still developing my own weird strategies, which will also have you performing as vict... I mean, as a free-will playtester.

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
    "Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
    posted 12-17-06 01:37 PM EDT (US)     23 / 215  
    Me and Destiny_Devil have used this about 2 or 3 times now and I remember how shocked I was when I watched a small army of scouts completely destroy pretty near everything they came up against :P (Granted we weren't playing any technically good players).

I was wondering if it would be worth sending the 3 TP card instead of building a native Trade Post naturally (perhaps in place of the 2nd Mac card)? I'm not sure how it would shape up in terms of possibly being a waste of a card, or if it might take too long, but if the time difference was minimal and it didnt present too much of a problem with sending the other important cards then you could have a native Tp up for free, and 2 more bringing in XP? Just a thought... I haven't really thought about it properly and it probably wouldn't work at all :P

EDIT: just noticed you included the 3 TP card in the Recommended Cards section... for the possible reasons I outlined above?

[This message has been edited by The_Garlic_King (edited 12-17-2006 @ 01:41 PM).]

posted 12-17-06 09:33 PM EDT (US)     24 / 215  
    Cool strat... the other native civs could benefit from it as well I'm sure, both having more wood to spare than Aztec. With the weakest melee cav in the game (and lacking European spies of course), Aztec also seems like the most vulnerable civ to a Scout Slam attack... as you said, Coyote Runner at best breaks even with an Advanced Scout.

Yet Aztec is the one who most needs some kind of short diversion before they can get their bonus working for them.

posted 12-17-06 10:04 PM EDT (US)     25 / 215  
    i was also testing with this strat but sorta ditched it because of taking up seconds needed to train vills at the tc. Nice idea to come up with the embassy.

also could this be used better/worse with other native civs? maybe iro would be better? Im doubting sioux would be better...

[This message has been edited by steve09 (edited 12-17-2006 @ 10:05 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 9  Next Page »
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » The Aztec Scout Slam -- an Envoy Rush, Native Style
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames