Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: TWC Ottoman Deporter
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 01-30-07 02:31 AM EDT (US)   
The Scenario
Its Portugese Vs Ottoman On Orinico, Lets call the Port player, Jim and the Ottoman player Bob.
Jim is thinking it will be a walk in the park, Ports vs Ottoman on a NON TP MAP, too good to be true for Jim. He starts a normal game and sets his explorer to scout, he takes his eyes off his explorer for a couple of seconds to micro his settlers, but when he looks back his explorer is dead screaming "Every moment I live... is agony".
This is very weird to Jim but he continues playing. He hits colonial age and sends his coverted wagon south towards the side of the map near a group of hunts, and as soon as he lays down the foundation, 8 men in black tuxedoes appear out of thin air and start seiging at his foundation!
Jim tries to call MM but the foundation is already down and 3 seconds later and the MM come to take out the spies, the spies vanish into thin air.
1 minute later all his MM are dead...
Bob is still in discovery though, so Jim thinks he has a chance, aging up to fortress age.
Bob finally hits Colonial and Jim isn't feeling to confident anymore.
He hits fortress age, and sends his age up cassadores to the direction he last saw the spies, and his coverted wagon in the other direction, but this time the spies start attacking the coverted wagon, and before the cassadores can run back the Wagon is Down and out.
And now Bob has hit Fortress age too.
Jim finally recovers his explorer and reveals a forward artillary foundry with his spyglass, and says "is this guy a noob? My mams would rip through anything that can come out of it.
In the meantime Bob starts massing abus guns and makes around 5 petards. As soon as the Mams come in Jim attacks with massed Cassadores and Mams, and as the Mams close in a horde of 12-15 spies appear infront of him and take out the mams before they can take out a single abus gun, and while the abus guns pick off the cassadores 5 petards go around and take out the only TC Jim has left.

gg

Here and Now we will finally understand what happened on that Fateful day.

Although Jim did not notice he was the victim of one of the most ruthless, effecient and effective anti-port strategies.

THE HISTORY

I first decided to develop an anti porto strat after losing twice in a row to ports, I know what your thinking, how could I lose to those UP weirdos, but when you think about it Ports are a Tough match up for Ottomans, Lets go into the details.

Know 1:
If you try and rush them, it is a huge risk, as if u get down the wrong TC and they get to fortress, their 6 cassadores ALONE can take out your whole gren + jann army, and TC fire can take out abus if u have any.

Know 2:
A counter FF is just as bad, cassadores + mams + goons can destroy almost any other age 3 Ottoman Combo.

Know 3: Portugese need food to supply their ages + Villie production + Unit prod.

Know 4: The original Deporter revolved around taking away Portugese map control, but even then 2 outposts isn't a big deal.

Know 5: The New deporter has a 95% chance of taking out the first wagon (if your opponent expects the agents or not) and a 50% chance of taking out the Fortress wagon, and if you don't get it he will have to build it close, thus reducing map control.

Know 6: If your opponent has only 1-2 TCs and you are both in age 3, would it be possible to take him out with shipments + petard/abus production?

These are all the points I thought about when I was thinking of an anti porto strategy, and I have come up with an incredibly stupid yet unbelievably effective Strategy that involves COMPLETELY taking out the Portugese map control while still arriving in fortress age between 8-9 minutes depending on spy production.

Spies are one of the most underused units in the game, and IMO they should be used more, lets have a look at the Advantages of spies.

Available in Age 1
Strong attack
Stealth ability
Good Speed
Rapes Mercenaries and Explorers

So now we can view the many uses of these spies.

Used in age 1 to Raid and take out Portugese coverted wagon/foundation
Used to raid settlers
Used to Take our explorer
Used to take our organ guns/ cannons
And can be used to rape Ronins / Mamelukes

Ok now lets get to the strategy:

Deck:

Tier 1 : 3 settlers, 300 food, Economic theory
Teir 2: 700 wood/ food/ coin, 5 Spies
Tier 3 1000 wood/ coin, 2 falcs, 5 hussars, 5 spahi, 5 abus, Fort, 8 Jannies, Mamelukes, 8 spies, Assasins
Tier 4: 6 Spahi, 11 Jannies, 12 Abus, 2 Great bombard, Factories.

Order of Cards, Cards with a * after it are optional.

The Strategy

Age 1
3 settlers
300 food *

Age 2
700 coin
5 spies *

Age 3 (Order of cards, no specific order)
5 abus*
2 falconets*
5 spahi*
8 jannisaries*
8 spies*
1000 coin

Age 4

11 Jannisaries / 12 abus
2 Coverted wagons
11 Jannisaries/ 12 Abus
Factories

As you can see after hitting fortress you must stop him from developing his military/ eco with military shipments + military production, usually petards.
And after you have exhausted your military shipments or feel that your opponent is gaining an edge, go to Industrial and use superior military + economic shipments to turn the game around.

The Strategy
Age 1
Put 4 on coin and the other 2 to gather crates, build a mosque and as many houses as wood you have.
Scout coin / food treasures and keep training spies.
Once you have 6-8 spies put the rest of your settlers on food
Around now 4:10 your opponent should be aging, bring ur explorer close to his TC and your agents as close to the TC as you can while keeping them in stealth mode, once he ages take out his wagon, it should take no more than 10 seconds to take it out but if he starts building it depending on the time u get there it can take around 5-15 seconds
Ship in 300 food if you want to rush or want to get to colonial fast.
Age with 400 wood

Age 1-2 Transition

Move 3 settlers to coin and send 2 forward.

Age 2

Gather the age up resouces and ship 700 coin ASAP, if you did not ship in 300 food u can ship 5 spies or you can save your shipment and go up with the fast politician.

Age 2-3 Transition.

Start training units from a military building that you built with your forward settlers, either an Artillary foundry or Rax.
Ship in a military shipment, if you see all his settlers on coin ship 8 spies because he is most likely going ronins / mamelukes but otherwise ship in cannons / 8 jannies / 5 abus.
Bring the rest of your spies there because he will be hitting fortress ASAP, although the 6 cassadores will probably stop you you still have a chance of taking out that TC wagon.

From here on try and keep up military pressure, stop him expanding and producing, after about 12-13 minutes of pressure ship 1000 coin and go industrial, from then one ship in one military shipment followed by 2 covered wagons followed by another military shipment followed by both factories, from here on it should be GG.

I have recs but they are all on my other computer So I'll post the Deporter delux pack on Monday, I have around 5 recs including a win vs PragmaticGod when my spies rape his Mamelukes xD and the Map control really gets to him.

Any questions or demos feel free to contact me on ESO, VooDoo_BoSs is my nickname.

[This message has been edited by VooDoo O_o (edited 01-30-2007 @ 04:04 AM).]

Replies:
posted 01-30-07 02:58 AM EDT (US)     1 / 34  
This is a great strat.

but you know spy in age1 is a bug and is likely to be taken out sooner or later..

in any case, i have a suggestion to make.

Get gold trickle over 300 food, it is ottoman's best kept secret, mark my word.

posted 01-30-07 03:08 AM EDT (US)     2 / 34  
hmmm dont like the sound of this, a guaranteed age up TC down and spies running around wildly >_<.

Tho It can be a bit of a double edged sword, if the port manages to see mosque and/or spies a slightly longer discovery (aging up with say 14-15 vills) Would enable Him to put up some devastating rush with the 8 xbows card + Pikes. The second Tc wont be needed to take out the ottoman, specially if his villagers are kept off the food needed to age up.

Also if he gets to fortress before you get well stablished in colonial it could be gg right there, the 6 cassadores can 1 shot kill your vills, you'll be in big trouble, he dosnt have to go for the spies.

However this is all just what I think could happen it might not work well at all in practise.

And to be honest this strat seems dangerously powerfull against Port....

Im starting to hope spies at age 1 are removed

Btw Id like to play against you to see how I can deal with this, I think It could be a learning experience for me and can help you improve the strat? Gomezd is my eso.

posted 01-30-07 03:29 AM EDT (US)     3 / 34  
Well if ultimitsu says its good ill take his word for it but i havent read it yet to long ill get round to it Surely tho it works on more then just 1 map. Not just vs ports either?
posted 01-30-07 03:33 AM EDT (US)     4 / 34  
there have been times when i have been raided but none were a problem.
even if he rushes, it is extremely simple to turn ur ff into arush because 5 jann card and Mm and 5-10 janns made from the rax can stop him dead in his tracks.
and ofcourse it works on any map, wtf lol

[This message has been edited by VooDoo O_o (edited 01-30-2007 @ 03:34 AM).]

posted 01-30-07 03:47 AM EDT (US)     5 / 34  
this really promotes Portugal as viable civ

I guess they should do the 10 vill age II or, if spyglass reveiled the mosque, call minutemen right before aging up

Old Indian: Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood. She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow. She took the snake home and nursed it back to health. One day the snake bit her on the cheek. As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?" And the snake answered, "Look, bitch, you knew I was a snake."
posted 01-30-07 03:58 AM EDT (US)     6 / 34  
if u saw a msque would u suspect a spy raid? Honestly?
posted 01-30-07 04:00 AM EDT (US)     7 / 34  
hmmm yeah it can easily be turned into a rush, but it wont pack the same punch as a normal one would.

Slower age up time + No tp (asuming you do this on a tp map ofcourse) and allowing the Port to age up with more vills (I dont think you can take out his starting tc with 8 spies right? lol) could mean the diff between you dominating him in Colonial and the tables turning.

Tho ofcourse Im not sure hmmm....

Im scared of spies now -_-.

posted 01-30-07 04:01 AM EDT (US)     8 / 34  
If I saw a mosque yeah I would. after reading this I would
posted 01-30-07 05:10 AM EDT (US)     9 / 34  
And if he does age up late, it is not a very wise idea, not only will he bring himself down to the horrible times of the Ottoman but think about it, he will have an even later fortress time or if he tries to rush, he will be so late the Ottoman would either be in fortress or he will have massed enough janns + abus to spoil your rush
posted 01-30-07 10:00 AM EDT (US)     10 / 34  
I've been a victimg of it (well, kind of ), and I can assure all of you its really deadly!

Even if you know its coming, the best you can do is age up fast (like 10 Settlers) and call Minutemen as soon as you age up, not to mention placing your second TC right next to the first. And even then, you might lose it while its being built... Don't forget the Ottos also have all treasures for them, since your Explorer had been killed in Discovery with a single or two strikes.

I also doubt a Port rush would work. I mean, you wouldn't have a forward TC, and you can't go too far for resources with your Settlers neither. Not to mention aging up with 500 food (what you'd do on a FF) would left you with almost no wood for a Barracks + Houses (if you lost the second TC, its 10 pop you didn't get). So you have to chop all that wood for Barracks/Houses/Pikes, ship 8 Xbows and run all the map to get in his base... your force will be either too small and lose to 5 shipped Jans + 5 MM + TC fire or it will take too long to assemble and he'll be aging already.

But what I really loved is the fact it kills Portugal in NON-TP Maps! Ender, I think someone found out what you were looking for

EDIT: Now post some Records!

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.

[This message has been edited by Just a player (edited 01-30-2007 @ 10:10 AM).]

posted 01-30-07 10:10 AM EDT (US)     11 / 34  
Looks like the old spy rush...

Lord Tahattus - Register yourselves at the WotTA forum!
WOTTA WEBSITE!
War of the Triple Alliance Beta!
Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!
posted 01-30-07 10:29 AM EDT (US)     12 / 34  

Quote:

Looks like the old spy rush...

You mean agent laming?

It's kind of ironic that after the Portuguese had the most OP strat ever with agent laming in 1.00, the very same thing can kil them right now.

Woudln't assasins be a good card in this strat?

posted 01-30-07 10:31 AM EDT (US)     13 / 34  
I'm talking about ottoman spy rush, that can be trained from mosques since the start of the game. This is strategy is all about spy rushing.

Lord Tahattus - Register yourselves at the WotTA forum!
WOTTA WEBSITE!
War of the Triple Alliance Beta!
Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!
posted 01-30-07 12:02 PM EDT (US)     14 / 34  
This sounds absolutely brutal. I actually cringed reading this (no kidding.) This sounds almost game-breakingly cruel.

Nice job putting together this very powerful battle plan. I'd probably enjoy it even more if it wasn't a takedown of an already weak civ.

Strategies:
- BWKiC - A British Fast Fortress strategy
- The Aztec Scout Slam- An Envoy Rush, Native-Style
posted 01-30-07 12:08 PM EDT (US)     15 / 34  
It's a good strat. Just a hint though... Colonial militia tcs 2 hit a spy

ESO : Pcfreak8
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L. A. van de Snepscheu
A pessimist is usually right and never disappointed.
Any history buff knows that nothing stops a cannon like a good uppercut. - BeatnikJoe
posted 01-30-07 12:09 PM EDT (US)     16 / 34  
It is not likely that spies will be removed from Age I. ES has stated this is a screw and not a bug. Therefore, I doubt they will work on it. It looks like they are here to stay.

Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way!................CYCLOHEXANE'S FREE GUIDES:

-TAD GUIDE: AOE3 TWC TAD Quick Reference -or view online: On-line
AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON SPREADSHEET: Unit Comparison Spreadsheet

See other guides, technological advancements, interviewing tips, and more at my website All Things Miscellaneous
posted 01-30-07 12:16 PM EDT (US)     17 / 34  
Portuguese aren't weak against Ottomans on non-TP maps.

And yes, I already talked to VooDoo about this on ESO. Now that I see what he had in mind, I like it.

But I would build a forward but out of the way Mosque myself (sending a villager right away), so it can't be detected with spyglass.

And yes, definitely need the gold trickle in the deck for this.

"One wants to be loved, failing that admired, failing that feared, failing that hated and despised. One wants to instill in other people some form of emotion. The soul shudders before emptiness and wants contact, no matter the cost."
posted 01-30-07 04:32 PM EDT (US)     18 / 34  
Gold trickle is sent after 3 vils, right?

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
posted 01-30-07 07:42 PM EDT (US)     19 / 34  

Quote:

But I would build a forward but out of the way Mosque myself (sending a villager right away), so it can't be detected with spyglass.

That makes sense, since his Explorer will be dead seconds after the first Spy is trained. Either way, I'm not sure if it would against everyone, because I almost never target my spyglass at the enemy base. I mean, maps are so damn predictable that, unless a big screw happens (like the time my TC was placed after the river on Andes), you can easily guess where his base is without Spyglass. So I use it to find treasures and resources nearby.

ESO - Walker

posted 01-31-07 02:36 AM EDT (US)     20 / 34  
thanks for the kind replies guys.
Also the ONLY game when I have not taken down their TC, Apart from Walker who is totally OP, was when I played Somme 1v1 and his colonial militia + MM took them out, but even then his TC was directly next to his first TC so it was still a huge disadvantage, and he also knew what was coming.
Also ender, your right building a forward mosque would mean that they would probably never see your mosque and they most likely will not notice your spy take out his explorer, as one spy deals a wopping 200 damage and an assasin delivers a huge 500 damage, so it takes less than 2 seconds to take out his explorer and also, no explorer = no spyglass and no scouting.
posted 01-31-07 08:39 AM EDT (US)     21 / 34  
Not that we need more anti-port strategies..

Anyway seems decent, but I dunno if it will work vs realy good players (they always seem to have a counter to EVERYTHING!).

posted 01-31-07 09:15 AM EDT (US)     22 / 34  

Quote:

It's a good strat. Just a hint though... Colonial militia tcs 2 hit a spy

TCs without Colonial Militia too

ESO - Walker

posted 01-31-07 11:46 AM EDT (US)     23 / 34  
TC 5 shots kill a spy in cover mode.. colonial TC 3 shots kill a spy in cover mode

and this one work pretty well, send gold trickle or 3 vils first is depend on the map, also the starting crate . if u only have 400 wood start, take the gold trickle first, since u can save pop of 3 vils. And on map without many mine , send gold trickle before 3 vils

[This message has been edited by GreatViet (edited 01-31-2007 @ 11:52 AM).]

posted 01-31-07 03:53 PM EDT (US)     24 / 34  
Holy SPIT! Is there any way to counter such an early spy rush? If not, then it looks like this Ottoman spy rush could become AoE III's equivalent to the Starcraft Zergling Rush, I.e. that's the only way to win, and if you see anyone using any other faction or tactics, then they are either (a) a rank newbie or (b) so insanely good at the game that they're deliberately not using the tactic because they actually want a game to be challenging for once.... The stupid Zergling rush was the reason I quit StarCraft... It just took all the fun out of the game for me.

What got me into the AoE series is that, especially with AoK, there is not any 1 "right" strategy for winning, and they made it so that early rushing with cheap units was not a good idea (i.e. Villagers with the loom upgrade pwning militia), but if what I've read here about spies is correct, then it would seem that they've taken a HUGE step back.

Could anyone tell me if there is any unit that a spy WON'T 2 or 3-shot, and what units and/or buildings can actually detect hidden units (I tried to stealth raid an enemy town with advanced scouts and Navajo Riflemen as Iro, but they somehow spotted me despite the fact that I'd disposed of their explorer prior to hitting their base), so that I can possibly come up with a counter-spy/scout strategy...

[This message has been edited by Hikaro Takayama (edited 01-31-2007 @ 03:54 PM).]

posted 01-31-07 04:16 PM EDT (US)     25 / 34  
... spy sux vs all unit apart from merc, native allies and heroes.. they are also do pretty good vs building since cover mode doenst affect their siege. villagers > spy but.. if ur vils hit his spies.. who will gather food to age II
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » TWC Ottoman Deporter
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames