You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Why does no one play with ports?
posted 02-10-07 09:17 PM EDT (US)   
why does no one really play with ports?
Replies:
posted 02-10-07 09:56 PM EDT (US)     1 / 10  
I've started to play portugal, but I don't know how long it will last.

The drawback to being ports is that you are constantly on the defensive until the game is practically over and you move in for the finishing blow (or more likely, you lose).

Their bonus, town center wagons, are susceptible to being killed. If they are, portugal's chances of winning are significantly lower.

~·························································~
ESO: F1RÉ_FLÝ
~·························································~
posted 02-11-07 00:05 AM EDT (US)     2 / 10  
true dat^

One thing i hate when i play ports (which ive started playing recently again) is if the iriqoi WC comes in with Town destroyer early in the second age and gets your second wagon once it starts building.

Port's lack of siege in age 3 doesnt help either (though it was helped a bit by petards)

Proud winner of the FFA Winter Round '07!
[Judgε][Epic Thread]
My Vods:[One] [Two][Three][Four]
"with all the bling on a mandsabar you could win the game by paying the enemy to resign." IL
posted 02-11-07 00:44 AM EDT (US)     3 / 10  
Why do so few people enjoy cutting off their fingers with a rusty knife?

"One wants to be loved, failing that admired, failing that feared, failing that hated and despised. One wants to instill in other people some form of emotion. The soul shudders before emptiness and wants contact, no matter the cost."
posted 02-11-07 01:46 AM EDT (US)     4 / 10  
Because it is an unpleasant experience of course. Why would you want to?

_____________________________\||/
______/____\_________________ /...\
______________\_____________(..__..)
______________[[_Crayola_]]>_. \___/
______________/_____.________ -||-
_____'-_______/____._.___._._.___/\
posted 02-11-07 03:29 AM EDT (US)     5 / 10  

Quote:

Because it is an unpleasant experience of course. Why would you want to?

Same goes for playing Ports?

Well, what F1RE_FLY said is right. Most of the games you can't take a step out of your base until you're in age 4.

posted 02-11-07 03:32 AM EDT (US)     6 / 10  

Quote:

Why do so few people enjoy cutting off their fingers with a rusty knife?

lol irl.

ppl dont play ports because they are seen as UP, and in the current situation they are. personally i think if other civs (dutch, iro, spain) were brought into line so that the very likely possibility of fighting an OP civ was removed, ports would only need a small boost to be brought into balance. they might have to do something about their fishboom though because ports generally do fine on water maps, and if boosted for land maps may actually turn out OP on water maps.

"he will have a hard getting banks up"
~rel4xed

"I accidently drop kicked someone once"
~george_uk

posted 02-11-07 05:02 AM EDT (US)     7 / 10  
well why do ports seem op on water maps? doesn't every civ (except sioux, for lack of schooners) have the same opportunity for water boom? i only see that "one time muster of 4 fishing boats" card as the only advantage. so...why port water boom?
posted 02-11-07 09:45 AM EDT (US)     8 / 10  
Ports are usually better than the "average" civilization on water maps mainly because their TCs, which can cover a huge area, meaning your Docks and navy will be safe untill the enemy find a way to get rid of them. Besides, fish booming also give them the economy they need to effectively turtle... something they can't do on land maps since its easy to get map control and cut them off resources.

Also, there's the Water Turtle Boom, by Swinger, which is just amazing

And not many play Portugal because:

1 - Most players don't enjoy their defensive play style
2 - They are one of the least versatile civs in the game
3 - Lack of Falconets on Age 3, besides being boring and a huge disvantage, makes it hard to finish the game before Age 4
4 - TWC has just nerfed Portugal. Their worst enemies (Spain, Dutch) have been incredibly boost, now all Euro civs have as good or even better late game economy and Ottos have that OP Spy Rush strat

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.

[This message has been edited by Just a player (edited 02-11-2007 @ 10:56 AM).]

posted 02-11-07 09:55 AM EDT (US)     9 / 10  

Quote:

now all Euro civs have as good or even better late game economy

At least Portugal can use their factories And SWs use too much population to be a good late game eco boost (Germany lacks any real pop-effective units to make up for it).

posted 02-11-07 10:40 AM EDT (US)     10 / 10  
zomg walker screwed up BB code! huzzah!

Quote:

1 - Most players don't enjoy their defensive play style
2 - They are one of the least versatile civs in the game
3 - Lack of Falconets on Age 3, besides being boring and a huge disvantage, makes it hard to finish the game before Age 4
4 - TWC has just nerfed Portugal. Their worst enemies (Spain, Dutch) have been incredibly boost, now all Euro civs have as good or even better late game economy and Ottos have that OP Spy Rush strat

exactly

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Why does no one play with ports?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames