You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Portuguese Anti-Aztec Mesmerizing Maze
posted 02-12-07 05:09 PM EDT (US)   
First things first. Allow me to introduce myself. I am a casual player - 2nd/1st Lieutenant - and play mostly with The Eco-Raping Russians and The Flamboyant French. But steady up there, I hear you say, isn't this thread advertising a Portuguese Strategy. It does, and I hope you judge it good enough to allow me to play, against just one of 11 civs - The Antagonising Aztec
, once again with my 1st choice civ - The Philisophical Portuguese. But unfortunately. taking on the task of playing with this individual civ is now deemed by many to be, unless you're a serious pro, "suicidal".

Now to get down to business. My strat focuses on two things:

The Portuguese card which greatly increases wall hitpoints ( AGE II)
    The Aztec's lack of a strong early ranged unit(I don't refer to the maces as "strong"

The sole goal of this strat is to build strengthened walls around your tc, two towers, and first 3 houses, with xbows (also within walls) killing any pumas that come a' smashing, and get to fortress before he has even begun to attempt to get there himself. A big factor is the fact that if the Aztec is constantly in your base from 6mins, how do you get to Fortress? - Big ?. Thisis where my favourite part comes in. The All or Nothing part. If you have read my Russian Gambit, you will see that this particular factor is a firm favourite of mine. In this strat, the All or Nothing factor is, quite plainly, you're hiding. Your 2nd tc is placed in a corner of the map (this works quite well on Andes - behind the mountains), and that tc pumps out vills, until you get to Fortress.

Troubleshooting Time!

1) "Any decent player would notice a Port player is missing a tc"

2) "Some Aztec players mass maces from start and could wipe out your xbows, and then bring in pumas"

3) "An Aztec in Fortress would destroy this strat"

Solutions!

1) Put yourself in this situation. You have this guy locked up in his tc, and only need to get through this stupid wall to finish him off. You are in no particular rush as he has all vills locked up and is so progress at the pace of a window. What is your immediate reaction?
Is it not to kill his xbows with 15maces or so, shouldn't be too hard to come by, and knock his puny walls with your really really strong pumas? I'll admit that some serious serious - yes, that's 2 serious's - players will be scouting like mad to find your tc, cause they took notes at the lobby, and have realized that Ports get tc wagons when thay age up, and these do not, in general, disappear. But most players, in my experience, when in your town, are content on finishing the job and killing your tc and vills.

2) From what I have seen, either coyotes or pumas seem to be the favourite among Aztecs. But even if they do send a mace card, or even send in 15 or so along with their pumas. You simply keep your xbows out of range of maces while two towers mill 'em down. Also, you could replace your barracks (built slightly away from base) with a stable and sort him out with 3 hussars. Maybe I'm wrong, but I do not generally see this as a major threat to this strat.

3) Arrow knights would tear this strat to pieces, but again, he will most probably remain in AGE II to try and kill your initial base. If you, after reaching fortress, fail to keep him him from joining you in the Joyous place that is AGE III, then you have 3 tcs, against his 1, and now have the military material to creep out of your shell that was your 1st base. But none of this should relly matter, as how many of you could honestly say, against a slightly ill-looking Portuguese player, would FF?
Problem solved!

As I said in the title, this is strat is still under intense anal-y-sis, but I decided that I would like to share my idea with the rest of you, so I can either abandon all efforts if more experienced players think it will not make my chances any better, or, get tips from the same players on how to make this strat even more less-UP-than-other-Port-strats. Basically, you age up with 12/13 vills. Bide 2nd tc, and boom with it, getting to FF, hopefully, around 8/9mins. I'll let you decide what to do from there.

It's not perfect, but I just hope you will view it acceptable. I don't care if your better than me, and that your "Super Aztec Rush" would crush me before I've even killed my 2nd huntable. that's really great, it really is. And you are super, no matter what anyone says. But I just want to know if this strat would work in the hands of a real pro.

I welcome all tips, BO's and criticisms, but no Superman Stuff plz.

Thx

Congratulations Serge - Winner of the FFA Spring Series 2008
Replies:
posted 02-12-07 05:43 PM EDT (US)     1 / 8  

Quote:

I welcome all tips, BO's and criticisms, but no Superman Stuff plz.

I guess this excludes me then

No, really. If you're going to try out how good walling yourself against Aztecs can be, I'd at least suggest you to change a card. That TEAM Wall HP just isn't worth it - nothing but 50% HP to your walls. Use Improved Buldings, it gives 40% to ALL your buildings. Not to mention its available since Age 1

But why risk putting your second TC so far? I mean, with a bit of luck he can find and kill it. Just place both inside the wall...

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
posted 02-12-07 05:47 PM EDT (US)     2 / 8  
but if both are inside the wall, it is harder to get at resources, as he is going to be spending alot of time inside your personal space, so getting to Fortress is that little bit harder. Besides, if he does find your tc, you boom from the other. You were right about the improved buildings though. As it will but you time as he tries to destroy either of your tcs

posted 02-12-07 06:30 PM EDT (US)     3 / 8  
Why is this versus aztec specifically? It seems like a generic defensive FF. Nice use of alliteration, BTW.

_____________________________\||/
______/____\_________________ /...\
______________\_____________(..__..)
______________[[_Crayola_]]>_. \___/
______________/_____.________ -||-
_____'-_______/____._.___._._.___/\
posted 02-12-07 07:02 PM EDT (US)     4 / 8  
If I'm playing as Aztec VS a port, I'm going to FF and boom because an Aztec can do it better than a Port player, and can easily switch strats due to their high versatility.

Also, most players do know that Ports get the TC wagons on age up, and will notice, and will go looking for that other TC. You may not think so, but they will. That's why i would take walkers suggestion and put both in the walls, though this is only viable on some maps, particularly ones with lots of close hunts, wood, and 5000 gold mines.

Walker - does improved buildings also improve walls? I don't think so, but could be wrong. If they do, definitely use that instead.
Otherwise, I'm not sure what your point is Walker, since he's using the walls to keep the aztec away from his other buildings. Using improved buildings and building walls would be a waste of a card if IB doesn't improve walls too.

Why do you need 3 houses? Youve got 2 TC's, 3 houses... 50 pop. You gonna have 50 pop before you age to fortress? If so, the Aztec is gonna be nearly there too!

Currently retired from AOE3... moved on to LOTRO... yeah an MMO... but a fun one!
Hockey fan for Life:
"I believe the Canucks of Vancouver are formidable warriors." -Teal'c, Stargate SG-1
posted 02-13-07 02:25 AM EDT (US)     5 / 8  
Maybe they would look for my second tc, but wouldn't they want to finish off my original base? I suppose they could just send 5 pumas or so, but CM would sort that out. If they found it, I boom from the other. If, as you said, they FF aswell (which I didn't know Aztec generally did) You, when you are both in fortress, have 3 tcs against his one. With a fort up, 1000 food shipment ( or maybe that church mill card) and cassies, Ports can compete in AGE III

posted 02-13-07 07:28 AM EDT (US)     6 / 8  
No, I'd not be tearing away at your main base. I play Aztecs, before that I played Ports. - TC # 2 and TC # 3 are a potential port defensive advantage, allowing ports to have almost equal economy / boom possibilities.

Almost, because - ... That Aztec firepit is just sooo much more efficient IMO.

It takes a long time to knock down 2 TC's in colonial 1v1, which is the military/defensive advantage.

If I were to attack a port )which I'd probably not do anyway, I'd just out-boom him), and notice only 1 TC is at the main base, I would be thinking "oooh.. he sneaked the other TC away to boom off-site. My main army is dropping like flies to TC and Outpost fire whilst ripping away at those walls, and his eco is getting bigger. This is stupid. Retreat, Regroup, Scout and knock down his other TC, while booming at home."

Integrity - Honor - Courage
The dream of "MadCrazyMoFo's" ( MCMF ) and "The 10th Kingdom" ( _10k_ ) lives and breathes within me.
posted 02-16-07 02:54 AM EDT (US)     7 / 8  
There is no doubt that the ports can defend a rush as well as anyone if they know its coming. The only questionable move I see in this strat is:

Why would you want 40% stronger buildings when you could just ff, build a small pill box with walls and ship your two organs and 6 cassadores into the box.

For the record: I am not condoning the ff to cassadores and organs, or the mesmerizing maze strat as a viable move. Either way its to easy to lose map control and lose your ability to hunt freely while playing a food heavy civ.

posted 02-16-07 01:22 PM EDT (US)     8 / 8  
I originally sent walls + 50% hp ( unsure if IB works on walls), to simply delay him so you could ff. By doing this you delay your ff, by around 1.30 - 2mins. As an answer to your food heavy probs, my answer is land grab. You age with 400 wood, you send 700wood, this gives 1100wood. Lets put aside 700 ( gather 20) for 3 mills, the 200 for barracks/stable. and rest for houses. And let me set this straight. You are not building a circle around your base initially. I surround two towers so they cant be attacked. Draw a line connecting the two in front of your tc. If ur lucky enough to have a lake beside your tc (great plains) use that. If not , just build walls connecting all your buildings. Smart placement of markets, houses is the key to this strat. You can build more walls during breaks in his attack.

EDIT: I have been testing this strat further and have come up with a possible variety. Build your 2nd tc ahead of original with semi circular wall connecting it to original.
He would then concentrate on destroying this (IB) tc, as you boom from other. I know youve got alot of walls around the place here but I think it is still more effective than a ring wall.

[This message has been edited by LordPatrick18 (edited 02-16-2007 @ 01:26 PM).]

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » The Portuguese Anti-Aztec Mesmerizing Maze
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames