Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: British Anti-FF Explosion
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 02-28-07 11:32 PM EDT (US)   
Prelude

I thought i should update this strategy a bit for the current patch. but it turns out not much has changed for brit with recent patched.

This strat is not for anyone who is looking to be competitive using british, nor anyone who doesnt like to rely on luck as part of their strategy, nor anyone who is playing at the high level.

but for everyone else, this strat will provide you with a lot of fun.

Outline

british has this card that boosts all grenadier's attacks by 20%, then another 67% of siege. this gives grenadiers 19 attack, and a whopping 100 siege damage.

this means as few as 10 grenadiers will kill a TC in 7 shots! that is 21 seconds. if you opponent decided to send out MM 10 seconds after you started sieging, not only his TC is gone, he is LOST

after this boost your grenadiers are actually very effective in battles, they will beat xbows, strelets, muskteers, janissaries, even these nasty HI in melee and small number of skirms - as long as you micro and make sure some of the nadiers do actually throw. Their only effective counters are cavalry and massed Skirms who hit and run.

basically in this strat you just build a bunch of grenadiers , send this card and take down his TC.

Game Flow

17 vils age1 with 3 vils as first card, age with 500 food.

During aging, chop wood for 2 houses - build them as soon as you acquire 135 wood, have 300 more wood, then all go to hunting and mining. send 2 forward vils.

As soon as you have aged, 2 forward vils build the forward foundry, as soon as it is built, queue 1 grenadier. time now should be about 5:00.

Send 700 wood as second card, use it to build a barrack next to your foundry and 4~5 houses, depends on how much you over chopped and how much trseaure you got.

By now you have 80~90 pop limit, 25~ish vils, and pumping out grenadiers.

You wait till your second batch of grandiers come out, you want minimum of 8 and ideally 10. as soon as you have enough grenadiers, make musketeers and send the granedier boost card.

You launch your attack at 7:00. TC is down by 7:25, from there on you are chasing his vils around the map, killing off his houses and stable, barrack, outposts, he cant ship or make any units, 3 minutes later, he resigns.

Strategy Points

1, make sure he is definitely going to FF. If you think he may rush, then do not use this strategy. I am not sure how well it works against turtle boom, the power of grenadiers is constantly house him and kill his buildings before he can get units out. a booming opponent often have a lot wood, you may have a hard time keeping him from getting units.

2, you must build your FB somewhere hard to find, usually at some corner or edge, but admittedly much of this comes down to luck. however even experts don't always scout every part of the map, and fall for sudden surprise attacks.

3, while you are accumulating grenadiers, you may spot his stable, cancel all grenadiers in the making and focus on musketeers, turn it into a musketeers rush. kill his hussars then use your nadiers to kill his stable and barrack.

4, him reaching fortress is not a bad thing. upon reaching fortress, his 2200 res are spent, as long as you keep him from rising a outpost, his fortress army will never come out, he will not have the res to train enough units to counter the rush.

5, if he didnt reach fortress before losing his TC, he will have a lot of res to spent, focus on killing stable and barrack first, then houses. if he sends vils away to build off site barrack, you are likely to house him.

6, delay the sending of the grenadier boost card, only send it if you decide to go ahead. other wise it is a complete waste of shipment.

7, you must have muskteers with your grandiers at all time, many civs have cavalry shipment, you must take them down with musketeers.

8, because you are going to consume large amount of food, many of your vils will be hunting away from TC, be very careful about cavalry raiding.

9, i often feel 1 outpost + 200 gold is a good option, because it gives your FB protection, when you opp is attacking your grenadiers with cavalry, your grenadiers can take cover in outpost coverage area. but at the same time i dont feel i can pump out enough troops with just 200 gold.

10, I have also entertained getting a atable and hussars over musketeers. advantage being you have better chance kill off age up skirms and cassadores, but hussars fall to TC and rods too fast, and you miss out on the cards that boost both musketeer and grenadiers.

11, worst case scenario A: he sent CM before, and he cancels FF and gets 21 CM out, your rush will fail as you will lose all grenadiers. but it may not mean a complete loss.

12, worst case scenario B: he had a stable which you failed to spot and now your 10 grenadiers are greeted by 8 hussars. you are more likely to loose.

13, worst case scenario C: he had a remote tower and had sent 5 lancers before you managed house him. along with the 4 age up hussars your rush will fail, you will lose too if you didnt get enough hussar or kill his lancers fast enough with loads of muskteers.

Bottom Line

what separates this strat to other grenadier rushes is its timing and speed of demolition. dutch grenadier rush are not even close to the effectiveness of this one, not only because their grennadiers are not as powerful, but also the lack of musketeers - an all round unit that can beat cav, can siege and can shoot vils and rods. I have in fact played a game where this dutch guy also grenade rushed me (while i nade rushed him!). unfortunately his grenadiers were only half as efficient at killing my TC as mine killing his, i quickly killed off his TC and he was unable to collect crates to make more of them.

I know some Mist-alike will come here and try to tell me "rah rah rah even 1700s scout so it is never gonna work blah blah"

if you are one of them, don't bother reply, if it is not a strat for you then don't use it.

for these who insist on seeing this kind of strat working, there is a recording of MC_nasty beating Ender's IOR on TEXAS with this very strat, and there is another recording of an unknown 1800 spanish player BEATING a expert 2200 spanish player on Andes, in Best of Best tournament, using a hidden barrack pike rush.

Replay

all replays dont work anymore since they are from older patch, so i removed them, links dont work now.
one of the better recordings for this strat, against an iro, lots of wolves andlots of cuirs!

here is another game, this is where he scouts my foundry and I have to adapt to the situation.

here is another game where i decided not to do the nade rush at the start, i began with a hussar raid, the improved grenadier card was not used.

this one was against an aztec, remember how i said the improved grenadiers do OK even against melee heavy infantry? check out how they did against the BB jaguar
knights.
Deck

I also removed the picutre of the deck. but in all honesty it is rather simple, you just keep 3 vils, 700w/g/f, grandier boopst card, muskt/gren att/hp, 6 muskts, 6 longbow, 600 w. the rest dont matter very much.

[This message has been edited by ultimitsu (edited 04-03-2009 @ 07:57 PM).]

Replies:
posted 03-01-07 03:54 AM EDT (US)     1 / 36  
Sounds really good!

This makes me want to play a civ with Grenadiers.

I'll try this with Germany too, but with Landsknecht instead of naders. I'd like to see how that works out (Landsknecht also beat rods).

[This message has been edited by Mediolanus (edited 03-01-2007 @ 04:13 AM).]

posted 03-01-07 05:05 AM EDT (US)     2 / 36  
nice strat ultimitsu, but a bit slow maybe
I have a more kamikaze way of gren rushing you might wanna try out

up with approx 13 vills + 300 wood (instead of 3 vills)

300 wood = 2 houses = 2 vills = more xp = faster shipment
TC+starting house+2 houses= 40 pop cap

if you started with 200 wood, you'll only have to chop 205wood for your foundry
if you started with 300 wood, you made 2 house at start and only need 1 extra house from the 300 wood shipment. This means you only need to chop 105 wood for the foundry

you'll have 15-16 vills to split on food/gold

age up with 500 food
best time I had was under 6.20 (to destroy the TC)
was on GPlains btw

something important I noticed:
dont keep your explorer in the same group as the grens, have him attack some house/market or villager to get the attention somewhere else, but also, your explorer fires faster than grens, this usually makes the targetted units run away and they get out of the gren-LOS before the grens actully fire :s

hope you like

Old Indian: Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood. She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow. She took the snake home and nursed it back to health. One day the snake bit her on the cheek. As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?" And the snake answered, "Look, bitch, you knew I was a snake."
posted 03-01-07 05:32 AM EDT (US)     3 / 36  
being slow at 7:00 is the whole point - you want him to FF.

i have used 300 wood over 3 vils before, the problem with 300 wood is slower age up time because you dont have that 3 vils gathering food. so i stopped using it.

as you may notice, i chop 2 houses of wood during aging as well, so i end up with 40 pop arriving age2, this way i get 3 more vils and enough XP for next shipment.

posted 03-01-07 06:24 AM EDT (US)     4 / 36  
age up time is not slower, its faster, but you have a little idle TC time which I find no problem is this kind of strats anyway

chopping wood is slow, I only need 105 or 205, where you need a lot more

but no hard feelings, I just wanted to share a different b/o

Old Indian: Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood. She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow. She took the snake home and nursed it back to health. One day the snake bit her on the cheek. As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?" And the snake answered, "Look, bitch, you knew I was a snake."
posted 03-01-07 06:52 AM EDT (US)     5 / 36  
I like it, sounds good!
posted 03-01-07 07:10 AM EDT (US)     6 / 36  

Quote:

age up time is not slower, its faster, but you have a little idle TC time which I find no problem is this kind of strats anyway

chopping wood is slow, I only need 105 or 205, where you need a lot more

but no hard feelings, I just wanted to share a different b/o

there is no hard feelings, i am happy to discuss intersting stuff like this

so you leave your wood and use it once you began aging, in that case you will be slightly faster because i make 1 more vil than you, but if you have more than 25 seconds idle time due to hunts too far, then you kinda lose out.

so how long does my 4 extra vils catch up?

300 wood worth 600 VS, it takes about 50 VS to gather them, which means my 4 vils have 550 VS to catch up - it only takes a bit more than 2 minutes. since my 3 vils would have been working since 2:30, i will have it all paid back by 5:30 the latest, after which i have straight 4 more vils.

[This message has been edited by ultimitsu (edited 03-01-2007 @ 07:14 AM).]

posted 03-01-07 07:20 AM EDT (US)     7 / 36  
nice! i'm gonna try this! How does it fare against the great house FF?
posted 03-01-07 07:38 AM EDT (US)     8 / 36  
you're right, i collect after i start aging up, and usually, with a single food treasure (which is highest priority) you TC idle time is very acceptable

Quote:

300 wood worth 600 VS, it takes about 50 VS to gather them, which means my 4 vils have 550 VS to catch up - it only takes a bit more than 2 minutes. since my 3 vils would have been working since 2:30, i will have it all paid back by 5:30 the latest, after which i have straight 4 more vils.

I think that's only true in an optimal situation, because of walktimes, but you're right when saying that once you catch up, your eco will be a bit better
but being brits, I don't care all that much about it at that stage of the game, when needed, all vills go on wood and the house booming can start and catch up

I will gladly do some new tests and see where we can improve

Can your version produce 10 grens in a row, because that was my initial aim.
also, I ship as 2nd card the gren combat card, followed by 6 musks (or sometimes vise versa, still not sure)

cheers

posted 03-01-07 11:11 AM EDT (US)     9 / 36  
Really is almost idenical to Ugly_mcnasty on agesanctuary.

subliminal messages
Can you find it...?

Chuck Norris.

posted 03-01-07 02:41 PM EDT (US)     10 / 36  
I am not aware of Mcnasty having this strat written anywhere, but the mcnasty's replay is certainly what enlightned my about this approach.

hwoever i do it slightly different to him (or as far as i can see in the replay), i think he doesnt use age1 card and he doesnt build barrack(he had one in Texas), nor does he use 700 wood.

his was actually just like zongo's.

[This message has been edited by ultimitsu (edited 03-01-2007 @ 03:56 PM).]

posted 03-03-07 06:33 PM EDT (US)     11 / 36  

Quote:

How does it fare against the great house FF?

although i have not encountered a GHFF yet, i think this will own it.

because GH still takes a good 3 hits to kill a grenadier, not even close to being powerful enough to save the TC from going down.

it is a lot more effective for iro to save that shipment for 5 cuirs once they reached fortress and shipped them to a warhut.

even just 8 prowlers is pretty dangerous.

i think against Iro it is actually a good idea to get hussars over musketeers, if you have 6~7 hussars by the time he gets 8 prowlers, you can kill them off pretty safely.

posted 03-04-07 00:44 AM EDT (US)     12 / 36  
nice strat, i want to try it tomorow.

what sucks is that muskets (especially only 6), arent great anti cav and britain has no pike shipment so nade rushing is hard.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
posted 03-04-07 01:34 AM EDT (US)     13 / 36  
^which is why the Dutch nade rush is so effective, they can pull it off faster, with 10 naders, and include the 8 pike shipment; or, use 15 naders with 8 pikes in order to attack around 7:15

Currently retired from AOE3... moved on to LOTRO... yeah an MMO... but a fun one!
Hockey fan for Life:
"I believe the Canucks of Vancouver are formidable warriors." -Teal'c, Stargate SG-1
posted 03-04-07 02:43 AM EDT (US)     14 / 36  
nah

musketeers are way better than pikes. as far as grendadiers support goes, and british grenadier rush is way better than dutch's.

sure you only get 6 muskteers (which i dont actually recomand getting before you use up three 700 res crates), but they last longer than pikes, they each last 7 hits from hussar, where pikes last 5. they each do very similar amount of damage to pikes, but packed with more HP, making them a lot more pop eficient. and when there are no cavalry, they can shoot the vils, wheres pikes do pathetic damage to vils.

the this rush is way better than the dutch one because the dutch one lives on very skinny eco, should the rush fail, you are definitely dead, the dutch rush is also often hard to keep the housing level right, shipping 700 wood just for houses doesnt give dutch any eco boost.

whats more, is that the british grenadiers are considerably more powerful, they do 20% better in combat and 87% better against buildings.

[This message has been edited by ultimitsu (edited 03-04-2007 @ 02:03 PM).]

posted 03-04-07 06:05 AM EDT (US)     15 / 36  
The thing is, the grens are being attack by the cav, not the anti-cav. Therefore 8 pikes is better than 6 musks as they deal more damage to kill the cav quicker.

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
posted 03-04-07 02:17 PM EDT (US)     16 / 36  
because you dont need as many grenadiers, as british you can put a lot more res into muskt production.

this rush requires 10 naders (they do same amount of siege as 19 dutch naders), you have 9 naders res to spend on muskters, which should give you 16~17 muskteers, try match that with 8 pikes.

[This message has been edited by ultimitsu (edited 03-04-2007 @ 02:20 PM).]

posted 03-04-07 03:03 PM EDT (US)     17 / 36  
sounds good, might not even do TOO bad against some1 if they just decide to defend, even more so if they expect u to use musks so hopefully will avoid making cav - of course they might see ur art found and realise...
But is good for me cos brits my 1 vs 1 civ atm, i like the way u kept things short as well I hate the way some forumers spam unnesecary stuff.

Quote:

17 vils age1 with 3 vils as first card, age with 500 food.

^_^all u need to know without the - 'send 4 vills gathering food crates, send 2 vills herding, when food crates gone send 2 more to food...' etc etc.

"The better at AoE, the worse at RL" - Doppel
After someone suggesting to make a meatshield to fight off petards..."Where can I find this meatshield? Is it in the TC?" - Sjalle

"That last comment has earned you a ban Musk" - Solus
On realising I was on a 2nd account:"Quinarvy ehhh" - Solus

RUSSIAN CIVIL WAR - VERY GG
Mine and Micky's OPness
posted 03-04-07 04:36 PM EDT (US)     18 / 36  
Awesome. I'll try it. Advanced arsenal if you have spare shipments to further boost grens? That upgrade might help I dunno. Just a thought. Good work!

Ceres 629's strategy guides

Vive la mort, vive la guerre, vive le sacre mercenaire.

0 A.D
posted 03-04-07 05:36 PM EDT (US)     19 / 36  
It's an age 3 technology so advanced arsenal is pretty useless for the sole purpose of getting that tech.

Still, may be useful to get socket bayonet while still in age 2 to counter cav better.

Thanks to all those that signed the petition to get me unbanned here.
And special thanks to smashnbash for making it.
posted 03-06-07 00:36 AM EDT (US)     20 / 36  
AA isnt worth sending, SB cost 800 res and only gives 8 extra cav attack, you do much better with just 6 muskter shipment. that grenader tech is only avaliable in age3, and quite frankly you dont need that for this.

i got a recording now so you can see how it goes. i attacked really really late (7:30+) here because i was afraid of him getting coyotes, so i waited until i had enough muskteers.

turns out he had nothing, he was doing a slow version of FF. afterwards i realised that against aztec, you have to do it early, because once his FF, eagle + skull is impossible to beat with grenadier and muskts, but if you killed his TC before he FF, he got nothing to spend his gold on, just like this guy.

just to show that he is not a complete noob, here is another game but this time i played otto and did a triple dock boom.

these 6 jaguar pets are OP, good job they nerfed it.

posted 03-06-07 01:02 AM EDT (US)     21 / 36  
great strat ultimitsu. I am definitely opposed to many of your ideas, but this one seems fun to try!

One question: this strat is entirely dependent on your enemy fast fortressing. Why would he fast fortress if he sees your deck and that grenadier improvement card?

Some of the greatest strategies in the game are outdone by noobs. I had a defeat handed to me once by an otto noob. All he made was hussars, and he was good at micro too (probably got his good micro skills from another game). He killed all my LI and eventually won. But I know he was a noob because he built no TP.

ESO Nickname: Eisenhower
Favorite Age 3 character: Sahin the Falcon
Unban James Lock!
posted 03-06-07 01:14 AM EDT (US)     22 / 36  
this deck may just as well be an turtle boom deck, one card isnt enough to give away the intention.

besides, as i said he masses hussars you have to switch to muskts.

posted 03-06-07 01:22 AM EDT (US)     23 / 36  
smart deck. Those sheep cards really help disguise it. What's that resolution you used?

Anyway, what about a pure rush used against this? I know this is not a "competitive" deck and is just fun to use in a nonrated game, but realistically speaking a lot of players online rush. You stated in your first post that the grenadiers can beat all HI and small numbers of LI. Quite true. However, mass light infantry is the staple of aoe3.

ESO Nickname: Eisenhower
Favorite Age 3 character: Sahin the Falcon
Unban James Lock!
posted 03-06-07 03:16 AM EDT (US)     24 / 36  
res is 1680 x 1050

if it is a pure rush then hopefully you have scouted it and massed musketeers instead.

pure LI spamming is only a worry when it is skirms and abus, eveyrthing else die hard to 400 ranged HP 19 splash siege damage.

of course, getting hussars is always a good idea.

here is another game, this is where he scouts my foundry and I have to adapt to the situation. i did no send the improved grenade card, just made 3, hoped they could take done the damn barrack before they die, no success. made some hussars, then i saw his 8 pikes (-_-). qiuckly put down a barrack and got about 16 musketeers. he was probably in panic mode (didnt even make vils!) because he didnt expect a rush, now that my score was ahead of his he didnt know what to make, so he decided to FF and made a few more skirms, they quickly died to my 7 hussars and 8 pikes couldnt last under the fire of 16 muskts.

posted 03-06-07 03:34 AM EDT (US)     25 / 36  
Had some good fun with this strategy.

People are generally just shocked by
A) British rushing.
B) Grenadier rushing.
C) The fact they can take down a TC so quickly.

I find they are fairly poor vs rushers though. They don't do too badly but you cannot replace them fast enough once down.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » British Anti-FF Explosion
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames