Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Ottoman NWNT Fast Fortress
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 03-01-07 07:02 AM EDT (US)   
Before we start, here is some interesting math.

1+2=3 (wtf?)

1+2+3 = 6 (whats your point?)

1+2+3...+9+10= 55, (hmmm)

1+2+3...+14+15 = 120 (mmmk.. but what this got to do with ottoman?)

What do ottoman complain the most about their civ?

"crap on maps with no water and no tp"

why?

"eco is crap"

ok. but why?

"vils train too slow, vil count too low"

really?

....enters the NWNT (pronounced nawnt)fast fortress, i think you know what "NWNT" means by now.

The first vil train speed upgrade is the best of the lot, it only cost 300 food and it takes off 8 seconds off each vil. it may not sound much but you have to realise it also means every next vil, is 8 seconds faster plus all the time you have saved before.

this is where the math at the top matters.

consider if you had this upgrade at the point where you had your 10th vils, how much benefit you you get out of it until the 25th vil?

120 x 8 = 960 VS, and this is only for the first 10 minutes.

thats about 770 food, 650 gold, or 480 wood.

"but it takes a lone time to pay back"

maybe, maybe not. its negative impact is very minimal because you do it while you fast fortress, you generally have to wait for your 700 gold anyway.

you get it paid back somewhere after the 10th "faster vil", from there on it is pure profit.

"but it needs a mosque"

you have been given a good 400 wood at the start of the game for this very purpose.

"Whaaat? you are telling me to build a mosque at AGE1!!!? are you a noob? it is the ultimate tried and true ottoman fact that building mosque in age1 is BAD"

what exactly are you going to use it for then? you cant build TP or dock, you realise if you dont use it, it just sits there and devalues. most likely you will keep it until age2. by which time it would have depreciated immensely.

bulding mosque will speed up your first shipment by 20 seconds, you get quite a bit res out of that too.

"you are not suggesting we get that vil train time upgrade in age1 are you?"

no i am not, you get it during aging. it usually completes while the 10th vils is being made, at 3:00.

this means you get the full amount of that 920 VS bonus i promised you as early as 13:00, even faster if you boom with second TC as soon as you hit fortress.

but what is truly amazing about the mosque is that you can get spys. this is extremely powerful for against the natives and civs who rely a lot on their explorer.

"ok, i still dont get it"

Alright, here is what i do:

- build a mosque and 2~3 houses in age1, send gold trickle card, age up 400 wood.

- after mosque built, GET A SPY, KILL THE ENEMY EXPLORER/WC, take all the cows on painted desert, take all the treasures on orinico.

- get the first vil train time upgrade as soon as you have another 300 food.

- build a barrack(or foundry) with aging wood to speed up shipment, if second shipment was ready because you got some XP treasure then dont bother. either way send 700 gold and FF.

- from there on its just a normal ottoman FF, except it is slightly faster than normal due to 700 gold arriving ealier than usual and my eco grows 17% faster. Oh, and i havent even touched my mines.

I played a few games with this approach, lost a few because spanish is till too damn good, and won a few which i think are largely contributed by my "better than before" frotress speed and economy.

DECK

a Janissary orientated deck, for against spanish

a Abus Gun orientated deck, for against dutch

REPLAYS

this one was against a dutch, who was happliy booming with his 4 banks.

this one was a british who was preparing for a rush that never arrived.

I guess one could argue i would have won both even if i did not use this approach, personally i felt empowered by my eco a lot better during the game, which given me more confidence , secondly I was in a position where if the game dragged on for another 10 minutes i would have done OK because of my matching eco.

this one is against a german, who expected a rush from me, then turned into a pike rush - not a great one. i repelled it with a fortress army. after which my eco was definitely better than his, out come is quite predictable.

this one is against the same guy, this time he FF-ed with me, as you can see, my FF time was considerably better even with the the mosque + vil training upgrade, my eco was also quite on par.

with my eco I was able to locally produced most of my jans, their build XP in turn got me shipments pretty quick as well. only 4 OP abus guns involved.

this one was against a french, he also thought i was going to rush, walled off his half quite early on(nice move - if I was really planned to rush then i'd be f$&*#d), lots of xbows and even raided me. soon realised what i was doing and went fortress as well. unfortunately xbows didnt pay off, all got slaughtered by spahis and hussars, 8 goons died fast to veteran janissaries.

after the big battle he resigned - might as well because i got 2 falcs arriving and was about to break his wall and the fort-being-built.

this one I actually lost, to a otto rush. afterwards i thought about it, the rush was not particularly strong, my biggest mistake was my deck, one 700 res give it away.

i have since included 700 wood, two towers and IB in my deck. maybe i should have 700 food and CM as well.

Best demo of this strat is here. I got the perfect map it was unbelievable - 100 gold 100 food 400 wood start.

I killed his WC 3 times! fat 300 xp and all the treasures. without his WC he was definitely slower, despite my several mistakes i still managed to defeat an IRO FPFF on a NWNT map.

[This message has been edited by ultimitsu (edited 03-08-2007 @ 03:50 AM).]

Replies:
posted 03-01-07 10:36 AM EDT (US)     1 / 45  
good strat

but i still dont understand how do you dont touch the mines...
if in a game you start with no gold oyu have to mine it or from treasures...

posted 03-01-07 10:47 AM EDT (US)     2 / 45  
Strong work! I really like the look of this. I'm glad to see that people are already starting to think seriously about creative ways to use the Ottomans on these non-TP maps (in anticipation of 1.03.) With abus guns perhaps not filling the uber-killer role they traditionally have, it's good to see some creative ideas for improving the Otto eco.

It's clear that ES put that extra wood down there so that people could build a mosque if they wanted one. It's always been a bit of a shame that this has never been found viable before.

As for the gold trickle, do you use that so that you'll get the maximum good out of this mosque bonus before hitting the 25-vill flatline? Or just to keep your mines perfectly pristine? Or is there yet another reason I'm not thinking of?

And some more math for everyone -- if Ultimitsu invents a new strat every 8 hours for the next few weeks, how many strats will we have by the end of March?

Good job.

Strategies:
- BWKiC - A British Fast Fortress strategy
- The Aztec Scout Slam- An Envoy Rush, Native-Style

[This message has been edited by Beatnik Joe (edited 03-01-2007 @ 10:50 AM).]

posted 03-01-07 11:35 AM EDT (US)     3 / 45  
this is going to sound so noobish but... I keep seeing people referring to gold trickle. Ultimitsu says to "send the gold trickle card", I dont know if Im just overlooking time and time again in my card options or what. I have a feeling that you are guys are talking about the capitalism card but I wanted to make sure.
posted 03-01-07 11:56 AM EDT (US)     4 / 45  
Matt, Walker and myself have already discussed this idea (proposed by me) when the changes to QS came around, and we were faced with playing on non-TP/water maps without choice. The conclusion from my own tests (which further used the 500 food upgrade as well) was that while you had a slight boost in economy, it stil wasn't even close to competing with the normal civs (aside from possibly Portugal and Germany), and left you weak on military, particularly because of the lack of wood for military buildings or natives and the need to chop it.

Not to mention that a FF on a non-TP map is suicide against half the TWC civs played by people who realise how weak Ottomans are in that scenario.

"One wants to be loved, failing that admired, failing that feared, failing that hated and despised. One wants to instill in other people some form of emotion. The soul shudders before emptiness and wants contact, no matter the cost."
posted 03-01-07 12:00 PM EDT (US)     5 / 45  
wow, 2 strats for 2 different civs in quick succession. I'm impressed,
This looks strong, its so funny that whenever a new strat comes out that looks interesting it makes everyone want to dust of their home cities and give it a go.
posted 03-01-07 12:17 PM EDT (US)     6 / 45  
This is not a "strat" (unless: "Build Mosque, research 300 food upgrade" is enough to be called one now). It's an attempt to present an old, repeatedly tried and generally bad idea in a new and better light, when nothing's actually changed.

"One wants to be loved, failing that admired, failing that feared, failing that hated and despised. One wants to instill in other people some form of emotion. The soul shudders before emptiness and wants contact, no matter the cost."
posted 03-01-07 12:28 PM EDT (US)     7 / 45  

Quoted from Ender_Ward:

Not to mention that a FF on a non-TP map is suicide against half the TWC civs played by people who realise how weak Ottomans are in that scenario.

Still, I think ultimitsu presented the best way to make this suicide

However, I never knew it could save that much VS. Three hundred food now, means extra 5 Abus later! Still, I can't get what NWNT means...

Quoted from Ender_Ward:

particularly because of the lack of wood for military buildings or natives and the need to chop it.

Starting wood + 400 wood should give a Barracks +3-4 houses or a Foundry +2-3 houses. Either way, as a matter of fact, what would you advice doing on no TP maps? Some kind of Jan + Abus no TP rush which Sephi covers on his guide? And, please, don't answer "resign"

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
posted 03-01-07 12:34 PM EDT (US)     8 / 45  

Quoted from Cherub Walker:

Still, I can't get what NWNT means...

"No Water, No TP."

Or perhaps "No Whining, New Tactic" as a more appropriate reaction for those non-water, non-TP maps. (Having done plenty of whining myself when I drew Bayou waaaaay back in the day.)

Quoted from Ender_Ward:

This is not a "strat" (unless: "Build Mosque, research 300 food upgrade" is enough to be called one now). It's an attempt to present an old, repeatedly tried and generally bad idea in a new and better light, when nothing's actually changed.

Do you mean that the problem is that Ultimitsu's suggesting an FF at all on these maps or is there some flaw in the numbers he's presenting? He's expressing what is (to me) a new idea and presenting a justification as to why it's a net gain. Maybe you could repeat the flaws for those of us that have missed the last few "Ottomans Only" meetings.

And I honestly don't recall anyone ever talking about a mosque-first FF before. Has this been widely discussed and picked apart before? If so, I missed it.

Strategies:

[This message has been edited by Beatnik Joe (edited 03-01-2007 @ 12:41 PM).]

posted 03-01-07 01:42 PM EDT (US)     9 / 45  
scriv, people do that for a reason :P They stopped playing their civ because they couldn't find any strat that would make them win so they ditched them for Spain but when a strat comes around they try it out.

Looks pretty decent, might have to dust off my otto for it

Ender is just bitter his civ got nerfed, weclome to the club

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
posted 03-01-07 03:10 PM EDT (US)     10 / 45  
Joe,
Yes, the first problem is that you're doing a FF on maps where only a Jan/Abus rush is truly viable. You have neither the shipments nor the economy to make a FF worthwhile.

The second problem is that 300 food may not seem like much, but without trade posts or water, you don't have that much income in terms of resources, which will slow down your Fortress time by a good 30 seconds, if not more (depending on hunts).

The third problem is that you're giving up 200 wood on a Mosque at a time when it's best use would be for a Barracks, houses or 2/3 of the cost of a Foundary. Not to mention a Market and it's upgrades.
The only way to compete on non-TP/water maps is to not gather wood, at all. It's all gotta come from shipments and the starting/age up wood. That's the only way to keep producing enough troops to make a difference, by maximising the villager second efficiency of your weak economy.

The overall problem when the Mosque route is considered (many times over the past year+) by Ottoman players is that we just can't afford to blow food and wood on such a minor improvement at a time when every VS counts.

The irony here is that the idea is good on TP/water maps, and is something I do already (I often research the first two villager training techs while stil in Colonial and fighting my opponent full steam), but isn't good, at all, on the "trouble" maps. Walker and me even done some test games on Painted Desert, where I utilised the Mosque early, and yet I couldn't keep up in booming even with his Portuguese in their current sorry state. Against the native civs, France, Russia, Brits and Dutch it's utterly and completely hopeless. And Spain will just kill you with shipments (you can't compete with locally trained troops without TPs/water).

And yeah, this was all pretty widely discussed and pretty much abandoned about a year ago, in the days when Hippocrack was stil around posting Ottoman strats, and I was stil a n00b new to the civ, just having switched from Dutch and Portuguese.

posted 03-01-07 03:27 PM EDT (US)     11 / 45  
Thanks for the reply... there's only one point I'm still confused on:

Quoted from Ender_Ward:

yet I couldn't keep up in booming even with his Portuguese in their current sorry state.

Now I realize that the weaknesses of Portuguese are legion on a map like this... but I wouldn't think that power-booming from safe hunts would be one of them. Isn't Porto booming out of 2 TCs compared to your 1, slower TC? And wouldn't there be other civs that appear slower than Ports here? Like Sioux or someone?

Maybe you guys were comparing raw resource gain then? Because Ottomans "gain" resources more slowly, but then also don't really spend them very quickly either. Ports on the other hand can reinvest in their eco very rapidly but have to wait a good while for that investment to pay off. It seems like Port and Otto would be different enough that it's hard to compare them. How did you guys wind up going about it?

Strategies:
posted 03-01-07 03:40 PM EDT (US)     12 / 45  
not to trying to fight for the "origin for this idea", i actually first brought this up about 2 month ago (not in HG), at the time i dont remember walker saying it was suggested before, apart from it being crazy... i just never got around to try it more until recently.

the second mosque training is actually very crap. costing 500 food and only improves half as much as before at 4 seconds, it takes a lot longer to pay itself back AND it will slow your FF down immensely. it is best done after you have a reasonably srong economy in mid-late fortress.

about the use of 200 wood, its not like you can avoid chopping wood or building a mosque forever, you are not rally "wasting" as such, you are building it early.

your age up wood provides enough for a barrack and enough houses for the next few minutes. if you insist on getting a foundry AND a barrack, then of cousre you should look else where, good luck affording both jans and abus in colonial without water and TP.

i didnt know FF was considered suicide, personally I feel that insist on fighting in colonial as ottoman on NWNT maps is the real suicide, unless you play against civs vastly disadvantaged to otto on colonial. Plenty of players choose their deck before me and likes of spanish, port, british(as long as he doesnt nade rush me), iro dont really bother rush me.

if you do really do get rushed, you can still fend it off like you always do with jans, what do you miss? 300 food and foundry at 5:00 compared to 7:00. With a better eco, personally i am happy to take this risk.

the reason this approach works better with FF compared to prolonged colonial, is the 200 wood early mosque upgrade and 300 food will give you less minimal dent to the overall economy. 300 food cost you no slower FF time and the early mosques wood use becomes insignificant if you receive 1000 wood at 8:10.

Quote:

As for the gold trickle, do you use that so that you'll get the maximum good out of this mosque bonus before hitting the 25-vill flatline? Or just to keep your mines perfectly pristine? Or is there yet another reason I'm not thinking of?

you got most of it, it also carries all the usual benefit of trickle cards - save pop space, unraidable, no walking time etc.

[This message has been edited by ultimitsu (edited 03-01-2007 @ 03:58 PM).]

posted 03-01-07 03:57 PM EDT (US)     13 / 45  
NWNT= Not What Nick Thought?

ESO: JarlNick

Want to talk OP? AOE3 Abus Guns at release were nightmares. But I knew how to take care of them! Beware my Culverins you artillery bastards! Oh wait...- MNBob

posted 03-01-07 04:10 PM EDT (US)     14 / 45  
Good Strat. Against convention and effective.

My only concern is that maps without water and TP are also maps with spread out hunts and no berries. This means that spahi would be much more effective here, than maps where that isn't the case. Is it really more effective to do this instead of FF to spahi on maps like that?

I guess you have to make a judgement call depending on probability of heavy infantry, and if you will be needed to carry your team or not. What do you think?

posted 03-01-07 05:11 PM EDT (US)     15 / 45  
posted 03-01-07 06:12 PM EDT (US)     16 / 45  
What's your point? I mean, supposing that was a NWNT map, you just FFed like ultimitsu suggests. However, I don't know if you did or didn't get a Mosque, or the upgrade...

Care to elaborate?

ESO - Walker

posted 03-01-07 07:01 PM EDT (US)     17 / 45  
Sorry, I forgot you can't see those things from agecommunity stats . Map was orinoco.

Heres what I did:

Standard discovery, but built extra houses and saved 200 wood. Shipped 3 vills first, aged with tower + 200 gold.

Built a rax forwar as soon as I hit colonial and shipped 700 gold. Tower placed forward with my rax, covering hunt and gold. Age to fort with a sub 7:00 time with 4 abus poli.

While going up, start jan production. 5 vills on wood, 4 on gold, rest on food.

Ship 2 falcs as soon as age up. Start to harrass, then keep sending shipments and upgrade jans to vet. Eventually put up a foundry and start making abus guns.

GG

posted 03-01-07 07:26 PM EDT (US)     18 / 45  
Yes, Orinoco is a good time to make such thing... Since most of the time 90% of the hunt is on the opposite side to your base, taking all map control you can is the key

On Hispaniola you can water boom. On Painted Desert, even though its much harder, I suppose one could survive making good use of Natives... As I see it, Bayou is the Ottoman killer.

ESO - Walker

posted 03-01-07 07:54 PM EDT (US)     19 / 45  
He actually had an unusually high number of hunts in his starting TC radius (3 groups). I beat Slamer's ports on bayou doing the same thing a while ago.

The trick is to keep your opponent contained at all times, regarless of what civ they are. Painted Desert and Orinoco are especially useful as there are no berries, but on bayou you can still cause a lot of damage through map control.

Most ottos just don't use their units wisely enough to inflict maximum punishment.

posted 03-02-07 00:58 AM EDT (US)     20 / 45  
isnt that the Deporter?
posted 03-02-07 02:36 AM EDT (US)     21 / 45  
some more stuff...

DECK

a Janissary orientated deck, for against spanish

a Abus Gun orientated deck, for against dutch

REPLAYS

nothing terribly special nor against very good opponent, just to show you how does it work etc.

one was against a dutch, who was happliy booming with his 4 banks.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~invincible/NWNT_otto_vs_dutch.age3Xrec

other was a british who was preparing for a rush that never arrived.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~invincible/NWNT_otto_vs_brit.age3Xrec

I guess one could argue i would have won both even if i did not use this approach, personally i felt empowered by my eco a lot better during the game, which given me more confidence , secondly I was in a position where if the game dragged on for another 10 minutes i would have done OK because of my matching eco.

posted 03-02-07 12:48 PM EDT (US)     22 / 45  

Quote:

isnt that the Deporter?

Somehow; the idea is the same, to keep the Portugal player under constant pressure and try to keep them out of hunt. And that's how anyone should play vs Portugal as Ottos! However, its nice to see the idea also works on non TP maps... It has less Outposts and all, but enough Jans seem to do the trick

ESO - Walker

posted 03-02-07 07:20 PM EDT (US)     23 / 45  
Nice Start Ulti But it would be more helpful to put your replay links in form of url links to make them easier to access and download.

Here is an example:

NWNT strategy v.s Dutch

NWNT strategy v.s British

Ulti's word of wisdom :

since the start of aoe3, every unit that can move has been a direct counter to grenadiers, even villagers(since they have bonuses against siege troops)

[This message has been edited by Ranger General (edited 03-02-2007 @ 07:27 PM).]

posted 03-05-07 10:42 PM EDT (US)     24 / 45  
a few more replays

this one is against a german, who expected a rush from me, then turned into a pike rush - not a great one. i repelled it with a fortress army. after which my eco was definitely better than his, out come is quite predictable.

this one is against the same guy, this time he FF-ed with me, as you can see, my FF time was considerably better even with the the mosque + vil training upgrade, my eco was also quite on par.

with my eco I was able to locally produced most of my jans, their build XP in turn got me shipments pretty quick as well. only 4 OP abus guns involved.

this one was against a french, he also thought i was going to rush, walled off his half quite early on(nice move - if I was really planned to rush then i'd be f$&*#d), lots of xbows and even raided me. soon realised what i was doing and went fortress as well. unfortunately xbows didnt pay off, all got slaughtered by spahis and hussars, 8 goons died fast to veteran janissaries.

after the big battle he resigned - might as well because i got 2 falcs arriving and was about to break his wall and the fort-being-built.

this one I actually lost, to a otto rush. afterwards i thought about it, the rush was not particularly strong, my biggest mistake was my deck, one 700 res give it away.

i have since included 700 wood, two towers and IB in my deck. maybe i should have 700 food and CM as well.

posted 03-07-07 05:09 AM EDT (US)     25 / 45  
Hi what is VS & IB plz?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Ottoman NWNT Fast Fortress
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames