You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Portuguese Land Grab Turtle
posted 03-15-07 12:35 PM EDT (US)   
Here is a 1v1 strat I'd like to try but my limited play time usually has me playing team games.

This assumes a map that does not have good fishing available since schooner booming tends to be the best overall strat for Ports.

Required cards
Age 1: Land Grab, Colonia Militia
Age 2: 700 wood, 700 gold
Age 3: 1000 food, 1000 gold
Age 4: both factory cards

Age 1:
Send Land Grab
Age up with 14 settlers and 400 wood politician.

Age 2:
Build second TC in line with first with gold pile or hunts in between if possible. Build a barracks in between both TCs. Build 1 Tower in front of Barracks and one Tower in back of barracks. Your whole layout is a diamond shape with 2 TCs and 2 Towers forming the vertices with your gold/hunts and barracks in the middle.

Build a house.

Send 700 wood followed by 700 gold. If heavy rush is coming, send 700 wood followed by Colonia Militia and then 700 gold. Collect 300 gold if you think FF is viable. Collect 400 gold if you're going to need Colonial Militia.

Build 10 crossbows.

Barracks, two towers, 10 crossbows and a house requires 1200 wood. You'll have 1100 from age up and 700 wood card. So you'll need at least 100 more. You might need more if you need to keep up your defense (stick to crossbows with possibly some pike protection).

Age up with 6 cassadores as soon as possible.

Age 3:
Depending on how much pressure you've been under your 3rd TC can either join your turtle shell or you can try to use it to get some map control (look for closest gold pile that isn't too far away from your shell). You want to boom from 3 TCs so don't risk losing your TC.

ship Fort followed by 1000 food and 1000 gold (or 1000 gold followed by 1000 food depending on need)
build artillery foundry and 2 culverins if facing another European civ (this is where you might need 1000 gold before food)
build Fort into your turtle shell (between original base and 3rd TC if you used your 3rd TC for map control)

Age 4:
ship both factories, set to heavy cannons

Your goal is to age up to Industrial as soon as possible while maintaining enough defense. It takes lots of skill to "defend just enough" without wasting too many resources on defense. To beat a rusher you need to make him waste more resources than you while still allowing yourself to age.

The Land Grab card will allow you to stay in your defensive shell and quickly build mills or plantations as needed. When you get to Industrial you want to protect your cannons with either muskets or dragoons. An alternative to heavy cannons is to use the newly improved Organ guns with Mortars and leave your factories collecting resources.

Abus Guns and Grenadiers ARE NOT ARTILLERY!
MNBob's AOE Page

[This message has been edited by MNBob (edited 03-15-2007 @ 08:36 PM).]

Replies:
posted 03-15-07 06:03 PM EDT (US)     1 / 9  
I like it Bob, what do you think of adding a pen to the equation? Your sending land grab anyway, a pen should only cost 120w. You could move fed livestock right next to your TCs for raid safe gathering. On free livestock maps at least?
posted 03-15-07 07:10 PM EDT (US)     2 / 9  
maybe on maps with LOTS of free lifestock. the investment of a pen and the food to create herdables is too much for most supremacy games;

that map that has 50+ laama's on it would be the best bet

Looks fairly solid, though its extremely difficult to pull this off successfully against an experienced raider.
The raider would fake a rush against a TC or something, to force you to send MM. Then he retreats, having cost you more than he lost.

Currently retired from AOE3... moved on to LOTRO... yeah an MMO... but a fun one!
Hockey fan for Life:
"I believe the Canucks of Vancouver are formidable warriors." -Teal'c, Stargate SG-1
posted 03-15-07 07:17 PM EDT (US)     3 / 9  
Pens are 40% cheaper because of Land Grab so the investment is worth it on a map like Texas or Pampas (if you can get enough llamas).

MNBob's AOE Page
posted 03-15-07 11:58 PM EDT (US)     4 / 9  
I like the strat. But it's really frustrating juggling 3 TC Vill production, fishing boats, vill way-points, military, housing, huntables running out, getting rushed/raided, trees falling, mines depleating =( Such a headache lol.
posted 03-17-07 02:56 AM EDT (US)     5 / 9  
I can see where this would be useful, but wouldn't economic theory be a better choice and send Land Grab when you actually plan to start building plantations / farms? I know economic theory is not much gain in Discovery / Colonial, but by Fortress it is like having a few extra villagers. With 99, it’s like 10 extra. Hmmm, maybe Land Grab is a better choice.

When do you actually build the Farms? Do you build early for XP at all (help speed shipments)? I've recently started playing Ports and this seems promising in a 1v1 unless you are rushed hard and caught with your pants down with a bunch of cheap plantations...

Got any records? If not, I volunteer to become one, I want to see your TC / tower placement in action...

Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way!................CYCLOHEXANE'S FREE GUIDES:

-TAD GUIDE: AOE3 TWC TAD Quick Reference -or view online: On-line
AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON SPREADSHEET: Unit Comparison Spreadsheet

See other guides, technological advancements, interviewing tips, and more at my website All Things Miscellaneous
posted 03-17-07 09:42 AM EDT (US)     6 / 9  
I agree with Cyclohexane

Although Land Grab can be a great card for turtle, there isn't a reason to send it so early, when you're only getting the benefits (most of the time) on late Fortress. Even if you do a complete turtle, you wouldn't need it that early. Instead of that, I would just save the shipment and do a Fast Industrial, while having Land Grab in the deck ready to be sent as soon as I need it

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
posted 03-17-07 10:09 AM EDT (US)     7 / 9  
The reason for playing it first is because it is hard to find a time later to send it. You should also switch to mills as soon as your closest hunts are gone. Of course if your opponent plans to turtle as well you probably want a completely different strategy to begin with.

MNBob's AOE Page
posted 03-17-07 02:54 PM EDT (US)     8 / 9  
you knwo what would be better?

llama.

pity that ES made llamas, an UU to port, worse than the common unit cows.

but i guess it is a tradition they had to follow.

posted 04-29-07 02:49 AM EDT (US)     9 / 9  
If you're just going to use Land Grab for (mainly) mills, why not just send the Adv Mill card - iirc, it makes them cost 200w, and the added hitpoints dont hurt. It might reduce the option you have to make a livestock pen or not, but even still if you're turtling extra hitpoints could be handy.

And/or adv plantation.

The Optimist believes that we live in the best possible world. The Pesimist believes this to be true.
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Portuguese Land Grab Turtle
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames