Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Strelet Throttle
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 05-31-07 01:39 PM EDT (US)   
Once upon a time, there was an evil country called germany that took pleasure in opressing the other 7. Germany had huge, indestrctible building called a "Teutonic Town Center" and an OP carriage loaded with guns called a "War Wagon." With these weapons zee Germans conquered the New World with ease.

Now, in a far-off land called "Russia," someone called Syncope came up with an insane rush that could stand toe-to-toe with the German scum. He called it "The Strelet Strangle." It was outrageously powerful and led the Russians all the way to the top of the pecking order.

Then ES nerfed the strangle, and it is dead.

...Or is it?

That's right, my friends; the Strelet Strangle lives, and it's stronger than ever before! Don't take my word for it? Take a look at what poor Cuauhgtemoc thinks about it:

http://www.savefile.com/files/768984

And so, my friends, I present to you:

The Strelet Throttle

The The Strelet Throttle utilizes a unique card order and a 14 villager age-up to give you a faster and stronger rush. Before I present
the BO, though, a few things have changed that you need to be aware of.

-The Strelet Strangle was not a killing rush, and neither is the Strelet Throttle. Use it to apply pressure and gain map control, and then finish your opponent off either with a larger colonial army or by heading for fortress. The purpose of this rush is to give you some breathing room to get your eco going, thus bypassing the biggest Russian disadvantage atm.

-Your troops start coming in sooner with the Strelet Throttle than they did with the Strelet Strangle, but it will be close to 7 minutes before your actual troop numbers exceed the numbers of the average Strangle. Therefore, it would be wise to start applying pressure as soon as you get your batch of ten (sub-5:30).

-Finally, don't be afraid to mix in some muskets instead! With minor alterations to your resource gathering you can make a batch of these guys for protection against cavalry.

BO

Here's the link to an image of my deck...It's a little blurry, but playing as Mother Russia is all about sacrifices!
http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z279/goatlancer/?action=view¤t=deck.jpg

Not much has changed BO wise from the strangle, and that is why I suspect no one has figured it out yet; it's just so darn similar. Basicly, you'll age up with 14 villagers and 400 wood. Your first shipment will be 300 wood. Your second shipment will be 700 food. This is the key behind the strategy, because it will let you fuel both military and civilian production (somehting the Strelet Strangle really coundn't do). So...

NOTE: Not a lot of times here, it's pretty much common sense, but if you really want to see them just view the rec

-14 vil age up

-300 wood

-400 wood politician

-during age up, 2 vils forward, gather your wood shipment and start building forward blockhouse

-a vil or two should be gathering wood after you collect those wood crates, no more than 2

-queue a vil batch

-when you age up, collect age up wood, queue strelets, build some houses, etc, send 700 food

-continue to queue up military and vils, which the 700 food will let you do. Make use of military units as soon as you get them.

-third shipment is 13 strelets, by now you should have a healthy bunch and he should be scared.

That's all there is to it. After that it's up to you. If you plan on staying in colonial, I suggest boyars. If you want to get to fortress, go ahead.
Either way, this strategy will give you the breathing room you need to really get the Russian eco going.

Have fun, I'll include recs against real players if there is enough interest.

Oh, and just imagine how strong this could be depending on the results of the next patch! Good times ahead, my friends--good times ahead.

Record Games vs. Human Opponents

goatlancer vs. Danasomethingorother on Orinoco
http://www.savefile.com/files/769301
An ottoman captain on orinoco. This rec shows just how flexible this strat really is. Instead of rushing, I use it to guard my side and wait for his attack (with this matchup, especially on this map, I feel this is the best way to go).

goatlancer vs. Andrew on Bayou
http://www.savefile.com/files/772842
Shows just how effective this rush can be against a civ like Dutch. He never even has time to react.

[This message has been edited by agape3 (edited 06-01-2007 @ 09:14 PM).]

Replies:
posted 05-31-07 01:57 PM EDT (US)     1 / 44  
great guide but I have a doubt, strelet have a chance against lbows or mace I lost frequently to them
posted 05-31-07 02:11 PM EDT (US)     2 / 44  
Thanks for your input

Very rarely have I been disappointed with the performance of my strelets vs other *LI, especially in cases like this when you are almost gaurenteed to be ahead of him militarily. Also, you have map control, which means you can hunt and he can't. Just hang in there and have faith that you will be able to wear him out.

Also, the same rules that applied to the Strelet Strangle apply here. For instance, don't just mindlessly wander into a loaded town center surrounded by three towers.
posted 05-31-07 02:32 PM EDT (US)     3 / 44  
Wow, there's a whole load of things wrong here.
but it will be close to 7 minutes before your actual troop numbers exceed the numbers of the average Strangle.
There's no way that could happen, since settlers AND strelets trained way faster, and twc russia ages slower than aoe3 russia.
That's right, my friends; the Strelet Strangle lives, and it's stronger than ever before!
So really, you're presenting the Strelet Strangle, but with a few minor alterations and a new name?
He called it "The Strelet Strangle." It was outrageously powerful and led the Russians all the way to the top of the pecking order.
I'm 100% certain that Syncope did not invent this, no matter how good he was, as everyone strelet rushed with people still strelet rushing in twc.
evil country called germany
Germans aren't evil (If someone says "Hitler", well, he was Austrian).
Now, in a far-off land called "Russia,"
Didn't Germany border Russia in them times, well, not Germany, but German states like Bavaria, others and such?
300 wood

Use Distributivism, it's the equivalent of 3 settlers on wood, and it lasts for the whole game.
-third shipment is 13 strelets, by now you should have a healthy bunch and he should be scared
Not if he has 5+ hussars. You can't just spam strelets no matter what and win like you did in vanilla, sorry, but it just doesn't work. You need to ship some Cossacks at least.

The strategy is well written, but I'm afraid it isn't going to really work at levels 20 and above.

armyballer - Another 3v3, this time my team is winning, (about an hour into it). One of the other team players admits defeat and resigns, then out of no where I get OOS message. I'm pissed, I again log onto agecommunity and see I have been given a LOSE. How did this happen?

AceOfKings - ender_ward hacked into your game and made it go OOS

Unban JamesLock
posted 05-31-07 02:35 PM EDT (US)     4 / 44  
My rush is similar, except I send distributivism first. Also, I build 5 musks then 10 strelets at the start of age2 just in case he's going cav, however I also send 700 food. 700 wood is usually my next card though. (houses, TP's etc.)

[img]http://www.aoe3-arena.com/sign2/WaCkO,3,0.png[/img]
posted 05-31-07 02:38 PM EDT (US)     5 / 44  
Yes, Musketeerking told me that you shipped 700 food.

I don't get how you found the wood to get 4BH's, 200w for strelets and two TC's? Tell me now!

armyballer - Another 3v3, this time my team is winning, (about an hour into it). One of the other team players admits defeat and resigns, then out of no where I get OOS message. I'm pissed, I again log onto agecommunity and see I have been given a LOSE. How did this happen?

Unban JamesLock
posted 05-31-07 02:41 PM EDT (US)     6 / 44  
Meh it might have been Arrow who invented it, personally I don't care, that was just supposed to be a fun little story :P

1. If you made a stable I made musks.

2. Hmm when I say in overcomes the strangle in power, I'm talking about a combination of military and economic strength. It's been a long time since I last strangled, but I'm pretty sure I could not have had these kinds of troops at 6:40 without halting vil production.

3. I experimented with distributivism, but eventually decided I would rather have 300 wood and get my blockhouse up sooner than send distributivism. By the time this card kicks in, my eco really doesn't need it. For this to work you need wood ASAP.

Oh, and the strat has to have a name, lol, it shares a similar purpose to the Strangle but I can't call it that, it would be plagarism :P

Thanks for critiques guys keep it coming
posted 05-31-07 02:50 PM EDT (US)     7 / 44  
distributivism(2.5 unraidable villie on wood) > 300 wood
posted 05-31-07 02:57 PM EDT (US)     8 / 44  
I'm telling you man, I experimented heavily with distributivism but I'm convinced that if you want to rush, 300 wood is the way to go. What you need is to get a blockhouse up, and fast. 300 wood, not distributivism, is going to help you accomplish that. Trust me on this and save yourself several hours of testing.
posted 05-31-07 02:59 PM EDT (US)     9 / 44  
Nice!!! When i started reading this I thought my friend stole your idea, untill i realized YOU ARE MY FRIEND!
Nice job on the strat.
posted 05-31-07 03:53 PM EDT (US)     10 / 44  
Haha thanks man.

Oh and I almost forgot, once you get to colonial you need to start re-appropriating your villagers, or else you will run out of wood. I didn't do that very well in the recording but it was one of my first times trying this so oh well

I tried doing it with distributivism again. It's just too slow for my tastes. If you really can't stand 300 wood though you can pull this strat off a little slower.

EDIT: Ok, there seems to be some interest here, so I've added a rec section I've added a rec vs. somebody I played yesterday who was trying the assassin FF. Good stuff! I'm like 1830 1v1 elo so these won't be spectacular watches, but if somebody better wants to give this a try it would be much appreciated!

[This message has been edited by agape3 (edited 05-31-2007 @ 04:10 PM).]

posted 05-31-07 05:25 PM EDT (US)     11 / 44  
ya everyone says distributism is better but then your bh gets up too late and if you do get it up in time you wont have enough food for 1 vills batch and a strelet batch cause most of your vills were on wood so you would have enough for a bh.

quoted from jafit talking smack about ender in regards to the abus nerf: "He's probably in a fetal position on the floor holding an action figure abus gun."

[This message has been edited by steve09 (edited 05-31-2007 @ 06:34 PM).]

posted 05-31-07 05:55 PM EDT (US)     12 / 44  
ya everyone says 300 wood is better but then your bh gets up too late and if you do get it up in time you wont have enough food for 1 vills batch and a strelet batch cause most of your vills were on wood so you would have enough for a bh.
Yep, just as long as you meant to say distributivism, that's why Sometimes I think it is distributivism that results in a slow russian start, not longer vil training times.

I've added a link to an image of my deck--this is getting pretty fancy Keep the input coming everybody!
posted 05-31-07 06:07 PM EDT (US)     13 / 44  
I'm 100% certain that Syncope did not invent this, no matter how good he was, as everyone strelet rushed with people still strelet rushing in twc.
Actually I owe Syncope and this forum a hell of alot.
If it wasn't for Syncopes SS then I'd probably still be playing no rush 40.
Thank God (or Syncope)

Meh, I dont think your strat is too good. Just The RSS with a few changes that are nessecary. If someone read Syncope's they'd probably be doing this after having adjusted it to TWC.

"The better at AoE, the worse at RL" - Doppel
After someone suggesting to make a meatshield to fight off petards..."Where can I find this meatshield? Is it in the TC?" - Sjalle

"That last comment has earned you a ban Musk" - Solus
On realising I was on a 2nd account:"Quinarvy ehhh" - Solus

RUSSIAN CIVIL WAR - VERY GG
Mine and Micky's OPness
posted 05-31-07 06:18 PM EDT (US)     14 / 44  
Meh, I dont think your strat is too good. Just The RSS with a few changes that are nessecary. If someone read Syncope's they'd probably be doing this after having adjusted it to TWC.
The problem is, though, that they aren't. They insist on settling for the same rush they did in vanilla, and it isn't working. I feel this strategy is just as good as the RSS, perhaps even stronger, and that alone makes it good. It is my wish that people will read this and start WINNING with their rushes again, instead of limping into their opponents' base at 6:30 with 33 strelets.

There are other ways to win as russia. They are a lot stronger than people give them credit for. But this is a rush for those of us who like to rush with them but have been having trouble lately.
posted 05-31-07 10:50 PM EDT (US)     15 / 44  
300 wood > distrib. if your wanting the earliest possible rush.
ET > distrib. pretty much after 25 vills are in play.

I used to send distrib all the time when it was new but rarely do any more even though i keep it in the deck.

Syncope was the first to write up the strat over here on this forum and he did a great job doing it. I'm sure many others were doing it long before he wrote the strat though.

Strelets perform very well when rushing vs other LI but only when massed. There is no getting around it that with a weaker eco due to slower training vills, and slower training strelets that it is simply harder to mass strelets than it was before.

This might be a good thing, i dont know. I certainly still love to rush with strelets but im beginning to think a fake rush converted to a sevastopol turtle boom is much more effective than a real strelet rush.
posted 05-31-07 11:47 PM EDT (US)     16 / 44  
Hmm, i'll stick to mine. I go with a 14 vil age + distributism. Age with 400 wood bla bla, you should have the BH up by when you age. Build a house while aging. Once you get up, immediately train a batch of strelet and then ship the 13. You have 23 at like ~5min. It's a little harder to get the eco going, and the second card is adjustable. I usually go with 700 wood and just dont gather any more wood for awhile. Then maybe sevastopol or cossacks.
Syncope was the first to write up the strat over here on this forum and he did a great job doing it. I'm sure many others were doing it long before he wrote the strat though.
No, not even then. Isn't distribu at 3 vils on wood? If it's not, disregard this. But it wouldn't even be even with distrbu until 30 villagers are in play. And distribu has an instant effect. Hell, for all you know, you might not even survive to 30 vils.
This might be a good thing, i dont know. I certainly still love to rush with strelets but im beginning to think a fake rush converted to a sevastopol turtle boom is much more effective than a real strelet rush.
Definitly.

The strangle was better back in the day, but that's just me.
Yep, just as long as you meant to say distributivism, that's why Sometimes I think it is distributivism that results in a slow russian start, not longer vil training times.
No. If you manage your economy well enough, putting 9 villagers on wood coupled with distribu will give you more than enough wood by the time you age up. Usually i get about 450 by the time i'm up. Thats a BH at the time I arrive in age II, plus a house for the batch, and the wood for the batch. Easy. Then you can use that 400 wood for more houses+market+strelets.
I don't get how you found the wood to get 4BH's, 200w for strelets and two TC's? Tell me now!
Hmm, it's quiite simple. Pay attention, now. Left click on the villager, and then right click on the tree. There you go! He is now gathering wood for you Happy gathering!

My biggest pet peeve (for the game at least) is when someone asks how you got res for something. I'm insanely good at economy management, so I have no problems with it. Eh.

[FeaR]{KingSteve3721}
“I love my name of honor, more than I fear death.”- Julius Caesar
"The Pope! How many divisions has he got?"- Joseph Stalin
"The hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain."- Napoleon Bonaparte
"Dogs, would you live forever?"- Frederick the Great (addressing retreating Prussians at the Battle of Kolin)

[This message has been edited by KingSteve3721 (edited 05-31-2007 @ 11:57 PM).]

posted 06-01-07 04:21 AM EDT (US)     17 / 44  
I can afford settlers and a batch of strel with distributivism. Idk why you can't. :S

Unban JamesLock
posted 06-01-07 05:44 AM EDT (US)     18 / 44  
My biggest pet peeve (for the game at least) is when someone asks how you got res for something. I'm insanely good at economy management, so I have no problems with it. Eh.
How modest of you.

@ Your recored game against Otto - tbh I don' get how you could lose against to an Otto on Orinoco with Russia. Not a hard mach up imo.

Hmm back in the day I beat a Brig with the SS when I was a 2nd Luit. I doubt I could come close to doing the same with this tbh.

After someone suggesting to make a meatshield to fight off petards..."Where can I find this meatshield? Is it in the TC?" - Sjalle

Mine and Micky's OPness
posted 06-01-07 06:17 AM EDT (US)     19 / 44  
Hmm, it's quiite simple. Pay attention, now. Left click on the villager, and then right click on the tree. There you go! He is now gathering wood for you Happy gathering!
Steve, he got all this 11 minutes, but I tried it this morning and managed to do it, just one BH short. It isn't as impossible as it looks.

Unban JamesLock
posted 06-01-07 11:03 AM EDT (US)     20 / 44  
I can afford settlers and a batch of strel with distributivism. Idk why you can't. :S
I always suspected my villagers weren't giving me their best.
You have 23 at like ~5min.
Problem is, that's all your getting for a while. I'd rather delay things a little bit and keep my eco/military production going, but that's a personal preference.
Hmm back in the day I beat a Brig with the SS when I was a 2nd Luit. I doubt I could come close to doing the same with this tbh.
I concede that this strat probably won't let you compete 20 pr levels above your own.
@ Your recored game against Otto - tbh I don' get how you could lose against to an Otto on Orinoco with Russia. Not a hard match up imo.
Sure. But that rec still shows that the strat has some wiggle room to react to different situations (in this case a unique assassin/falc combo).
posted 06-01-07 11:05 AM EDT (US)     21 / 44  
What are your thoughts on this strat vs a French player?

Mine and Micky's OPness
posted 06-01-07 11:13 AM EDT (US)     22 / 44  
What are your thoughts on this strat vs a French player?
I generally prefer to have the French player come to me. I would use this BO with muskets (except not actually rushing him, just forward building for some map control), and then either turn it into a semi FF or mass cossacks w/boyars. I think I would be more inclined to try my luck with a colonial army, since imo early french fortress is relatively weak and you can definitley beat them in colonial (I was just watching some of matt's VODs and I'm fairly certain this strat could compete with that nasty double rax x-bow rush).
posted 06-01-07 11:22 AM EDT (US)     23 / 44  
I'd like to see a rec of that and watch how it's done.
Go away and do that for me and I'll be a happy chappy

Mine and Micky's OPness
posted 06-01-07 11:31 AM EDT (US)     24 / 44  
i fail to see how french early fortress is weak... if you were playing me id be in fort with a ~28 vill econ and id have 6 skirms from age up and 8 being shipped with 5 cuirs being made and this would all come out just before 9 minutes leaving your little army to get pwned and im even good

tbh russia vs french ff/semi ff is a lost cause imo

eso name: _XploSionS__

===quit due to the many many whinge and whine topics===
posted 06-01-07 11:34 AM EDT (US)     25 / 44  
fail to see how french early fortress is weak... if you were playing me id be in fort with a ~28 vill econ and id have 6 skirms from age up and 8 being shipped with 5 cuirs being made and this would all come out just before 9 minutes leaving your little army to get pwned and im even good
14 veteran skirms and 5 veteran cuirs against 33 boyars strelets and 15 boyars cossacks? I think it is you who will be pwned, my friend.

If anybody wants to try this online I'll be happy to ESO is goatlancer...I'll try to get a french rec but if anyone here plays french it would make things easier.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » The Strelet Throttle
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames