Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: TEAM STRATEGY: Russian + Spanish Missionary Sling
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 08-10-07 07:53 PM EDT (US)   
DISCLAIMER:
The title sounds like something you would find in a dirty magazine, but it is not what you’re thinking...

I am a big team player and have an assortment of different strategies I use with different civilizations but this is one I came up with that is truly unique. This is not the strategy to end all strategies; rather it is an alternate rush you can perform to have fun. It is harder to pull off than a standard rush and requires more team work, but every time I have tried it, it has been a blast. And isn’t that what the game is about?

Even if you do not like the rush idea, this team card selection choice is very powerful in Fortress (combined with a Spanish FF) when expensive high hit point units that are cost effective to be healed become available, Missionaries can be replaced in 10 seconds, and +63% damage to artillery is sweet! In other words, a rush is not required to make this team civilization and deck selection useful. It can be a powerful boost late game as well.

Interested? Read on…

INTRODUCTION:
The Spanish have the best priests in the game. Yea Aztec’s are great but they are never used for healing due to their usefulness at the fire pit. Mayan are cheap who knows if you will get them on your map. Surgeons require a shipment, etc., etc. The reason Missionaries are so good is because of their speed, they can get in and out and never slow the army down when moved together (unlike priests with a speed of 4).

Hell with the Age 2 Mission Fervor church technology (200 gold + 200 wood), these guy have a speed of 8.05 and an amazing 405 hit points (450 EHP at range). That’s right, those donkeys can just about keep up with the Sioux WC (speed 8.1) and they can tank. Before they die, they can run away and heal each other.

So what am I getting at? Well, the Russians have an Age 2 shipment called “Team Cheap Priests.” This brings the cost of the Missionaries from 100 gold + 100 wood with a 40 second train time to 50 gold + 50 wood with a 10 second train time! This makes the Missionaries affordable in Colonial and a 10 second train time is a huge boost early and late game!

Now, why would I want a lot of Missionaries? To help spread the word of course. There is another Age 2 shipment for the Spanish called Unction. This grants the Missionaries an aura that boosts the attack of nearby soldiers by 5% within a Range 24. 5% is not much, but what is little known is that the aura is stackable in a non-linear function (does not simply stack 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%, etc.). George_uk helped develop the relationship with in-game testing based on his knowledge of teepee aura stacking using the game's editor. The relationship is 100%*(1.05^N - 1) = + % damage output. Here is a table showing the effects for Missionaries 1 thru 10:

# Missionaries.....Aura Effect (+ % Damage)
1.......................5%
2.......................10%
3.......................16%
4.......................22%
5.......................28%
6.......................34%
7.......................41%
8.......................48%
9.......................55%
10.....................63%

Since Missionaries have a build limit of 10, you could potentially have an amazing 63% damage bonus on top of other bonuses! Even with 25 dancers on the fire pit, the War Dance only grants +30% to damage, and we all know how effective that can be. And a 24 radius is large, the same size as the Native War Chiefs auras.

SPAIN

REQUIRED CARDS:
Age 1:
3 Villagers

Age 2:
700 Wood
Unction

RECOMMENDED CARDS:
Age 1:
TEAM Archaic Soldier Training
Economic Theory

Age 2:
5 Villagers
600 Wood
700 Gold
8 Pikemen
7 Rodeleros
6 Rodeleros
TEAM Hand Infantry Damage
Hand Infantry Hit points

Age 3:
1000 Food
1000 Wood
Hand Infantry Combat
2 Falconets
5 Lancers
4 Lancers
Hand Cavalry Combat
Royal Mint
6 Stradiots
Caballeros

Age 4:
Factory
Industrial Revolution

DISCOVERY:
All vills on food (standard)
First card 3 villagers
Age with 500 food at 15 vills (can use 200 gold + tower at lower levels but will be much harder to pull off)

TRANSITION TO COLONIAL:
1.) Move 1 villager to forward base location (close to Blockhouse for protection) and chop wood when get there.
2.) 4 to gold (~216 gold)
3.) 4 stay of food (~300 food)
4.) 6 to wood (~300 wood)

COLONIAL:
1.) Second Card 700 wood, click this immediately in Colonial
2.) Keep constant villager production with all new villagers going to food.
3.) Build a barracks and another house immediately.
4.) Collect 700 wood and Build a Church at the forward base under protection of Blockhouse but in the rear and as hidden as possible.
5.) At this point, the Team Cheap Priests card should have arrived. The remaining 500 wood will be used to spawn pikemen and Missionaries. Do not go crazy on the Missionaries, make only enough as you have gold (and will only need 500 gold before you can change the 4 on gold to wood). You goal is to have 15 pikemen* and 10 Missionaries before 1st attack with more pikemen being added.
6.) Send Unction as 3rd card
7.) 4th card can be 8 pikemen, 7 Rodeleros, 600 wood, or Hand Infantry Hit points depending on the needs. Definitely send Hand Infantry Hit points before TEAM Hand Infantry Damage (need them to stay alive longer, they will do plenty of damage with the Missionaries)

*NOTE: You do not have to make pikemen. Depending on the opponent, super crossbows, or super raiding hussars may be a better selection! Of course if you choose Hussars, the deck and build order will change but it is very fun as well. Play your game, this is only a guide…

RUSSIAN
Russia is a support civilization for the most part making either strelets or Cossacks to support the rush of whatever the Spanish player’s main unit selection (maybe even Grenadiers if the Spanish goes Hussars). Their deck can be composed or water or land based cards and the only real difference is the inclusion of 1 card. The rest is optional based on your preference.

If the Spanish goes pike men, I suggest massing stelets initially.

REQUIRED CARDS:
Age 2:
Team Cheap Priests

RECOMMENDED CARDS:
All of your standard Russian cards, only 1 shipment is required of Russia to make this happen so only slows them down slightly (but can benefit from free healing the entire game).

DISCOVERY:
Standard age-up

TRANSITION TO COLONIAL:
Move 1 villager to forward base location and create a Blockhouse or stable depending on the supporting unit you will make (Spain will typically go pikes or crossbows but hussars are also possible).

COLONIAL:
First Colonial Card should be Team Cheap Priests so your Spanish ally can start the Missionary production quickly. Although it is possible, but requires teamwork, to amass an army first, then work on the Missionaries once a counter rush is determined not to be happening

STRENGTHS
1.) Unction is stackable up to the build limit of 10 Missionaries. Since every Missionary available grants 5% to damage, a total bonus of 63% will be granted to all of the Spanish units (non-linear function). With the Team Cheap Priests Russian HC shipment, they can be quickly and cheaply replaced. The card allows them to be spawned in 10 seconds (opposed to 40) at 50 wood and 50 gold (opposed to 100 wood and 100 gold).

2.) Can heal ally’s units quickly with 10 Missionaries running around. Although strelets typically are not the ideal unit to heal, this will change as the game progresses and artillery and cavalry can be easily repaired.

3.) Sending in Missionaries with a raiding force can be very helpful, not only for the bonus damage (very useful when raiding), but to heal when damaged, and strike again with the same units… And don’t forget, they are faster than hussars (with or without Mission Fervor) and make excellent scouts.

4.) Mission Fervor is available in Age 2 but I do not think it is necessary since Missionaries have a lot of hit points and the enemy will be firing on the siege. The Unction area of effect is 24 so it is easy to move the priests to safety if being fired on but still receive the aura. Late game, definitely use this upgrade as it makes them extremely fast and even stronger.

5.) Lets look at some Colonial statistics:

Crossbow +63%:
29 Range damage (6 can 1 shot kill a villager)
13 Siege damage

Musketeer +63%:
37 Range damage
21 Melee damage (63 to cavalry)
32 Siege damage

Pikeman +63%:
13 Melee damage (65 to cavalry)
52 Siege damage
*15 of these guys can take down a TC in less than 30 seconds.

1.4 Rodelero +63%:
16 Melee damage (56 to cavalry)
16 Siege damage

War Dogs +63%:
27 Melee damage (wow!)

Hussar +63% (Missionaries are faster than Hussars so they can keep up):
48 Melee damage (4 can 1 shot kill a villager)
32 Siege damage

That may not sound like a whole lot, but this is in Colonial and a lot of damage can be done with Spain’s ultra fast shipments. Also, the aura stacks after other upgrade cards have been played (same as Iroquois WC). Mathematically that is equivalent to the upgrade bonuses multiplying a higher base damage so you get more for your buck.

6.) A few Fortress units:

Falconet:
326 to buildings
489 to infantry

Lancer:
96 damage to infantry (without the Caballeros card)

Etc. etc.

WEAKNESSES
1.) A slow but powerful rush with anti cavalry, anti building, and anti HI and a soft counter to light infantry but is susceptible to strong Age 2 skirmisher units.

2.) If the opponent goes full crossbows and hussars, then you will probably lose. Once the pikemen die, the hussars can wipe out the strelets. Of course Cossacks will help take out crossbows and pike men can kill the hussars, this is a battle of micro and how fast you can take down a TC.

MISCELLANEOUS NOTES

1.) Always heal the most expensive units after each battle.

2.) Yes it is easier to make more pikemen than a church and missionaries but the missionaries will benefit the game indefinitely. While no strategy is full proof, it is a fun strategy and something out of the ordinary to try with a different set of benefits.

REPLAYS
I had a few games using this strategy with success but against lower ranked opponents. Now my Russian ally that is also my rank is back to school and I haven’t seen him in a long time. Moreover, I started playing Aztecs but thought I would share this strategy in the hopes of acquiring a Russian player to play with that is also around my rank (1st Lieutenant / Captain). As soon as I can an equally ranked Russian ally, I will post some records.

Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way!................CYCLOHEXANE'S FREE GUIDES:

-TAD GUIDE: AOE3 TWC TAD Quick Reference -or view online: On-line
AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON SPREADSHEET: Unit Comparison Spreadsheet

See other guides, technological advancements, interviewing tips, and more at my website All Things Miscellaneous

[This message has been edited by Cyclohexane (edited 08-14-2007 @ 12:20 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08-10-07 08:27 PM EDT (US)     1 / 47  
Great and different strat! Haven't had time to check it out completely, but I think your calculations may be wrong for missionaries. They are stackable, but if they work anything like teepees, they multiply off each other, so that its, 1.05^number of missionaries * base damage.

That would mean, 10 missionaries, would give a boost of 63% in attack.

EDIT: I played a 1vs1 a long time ago against someone who used unction before, if you're interested:

http://agesanctuary.com/index.php?portal=TWC&fview=8&showtopic=88956&#entry951471

Previously known as MoNo Ager

[This message has been edited by George_uk (edited 08-10-2007 @ 08:29 PM).]

posted 08-10-07 08:40 PM EDT (US)     2 / 47  
Great and different strat! Haven't had time to check it out completely, but I think your calculations may be wrong for missionaries. They are stackable, but if they work anything like teepees, they multiply off each other, so that its, 1.05^number of missionaries * base damage.

That would mean, 10 missionaries, would give a boost of 63% in attack.
Very interesting and that makes it even more appealing. 50% is not bad, but 63% is better (greater than Guard damage in Colonial)! Unfortunately the damage done by the aura (or any aura or damage increasing dance) does not show up in the game and I have no way to verify it in game (which is the truest test). Watching damage done to different units in game with varying amount of missionaries seems possible but boring to me and I have no plans for it.

I do not know enough about programming to read the game files and HC cards are not in the proto (limit of my AOE3 research).

Can anyone help here determine the formula for missionary aura stacking?

By the way, how do you know how the teepees auras stack? I'm interested so I can update my Quick Reference Guide with that information. But as always, I would like proof...

Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way!................CYCLOHEXANE'S FREE GUIDES:

See other guides, technological advancements, interviewing tips, and more at my website All Things Miscellaneous

[This message has been edited by Cyclohexane (edited 08-10-2007 @ 08:50 PM).]

posted 08-10-07 08:58 PM EDT (US)     3 / 47  
Heh, don't forget that the aztecs can get a 40-something percent attack boost using the firepit But that takes 15 vills

This strategy sounds like a blast. I was gonna start playing russia soon anyway - I'll be sure to grab a friend and try this out asap

"he will have a hard getting banks up"
~rel4xed

"I accidently drop kicked someone once"
~george_uk

posted 08-10-07 09:06 PM EDT (US)     4 / 47  
By the way, how do you know how the teepees auras stack? I'm interested so I can update my Quick Reference Guide with that information. But as always, I would like proof...
I tested it in the editor. I put a unit down, a wakina, and a teepee, activated friendly territory and noted down the damage done by each hit. Then I increased the number of teepees by 1, rinse and repeat. The conclusion I came to is that the formula is, 1.1^n * base damage, with 20 teepees thats a whopping, 573% increase in attack, tested and proven. (crazy huh). Maybe the same formula applies to missionaries. I can test it out for you if you like.

posted 08-10-07 10:45 PM EDT (US)     5 / 47  
I can test it out for you if you like.
Please do. I will be sure to include the information (teepees and missionary aura) in my Quick Reference Guide when Patch 1.4 is released. I plan to submit a revised edition with tons more functionality once I can test a few things out first.

Thanks!

posted 08-10-07 10:57 PM EDT (US)     6 / 47  
I like the name of the strat!

I know that the russian card is usefull, but dont you think spanish player can still do this without it. But, if you did a combined FF with the missionaries, it will be devastating! Or do that russian thing(i forget what its called) where you get 100 muskets at 8:xx, combined with missionaries while the spanish player defendes both, so no strelets are killed. Im not good with math, but vet. muskets with 50% attack boost will be devastating! Sounds fun!!!

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. -George Patton

Bill Gates' empire's downfall shall be caused by a fruit!

If you are a Christian and not ashamed of it, copy this into your sig.
posted 08-10-07 11:58 PM EDT (US)     7 / 47  
Now I feel like just like tossing in 10 Fervored Missionaries upped with unction into the middle of my mass of HI.

Wee, 50%(63%?)! Atk and healing madness.

Thank goodness healing god changed from the original Vanilla version >_>..

Still, a fun strategy, props to you! I'd love to try this with you sometime if you're up for it, but I've only got a fairly low leveled Russia...
posted 08-11-07 00:08 AM EDT (US)     8 / 47  
nnnniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

nice originality

_____________________________\||/
______/____\_________________ /...\
______________\_____________(..__..)
______________[[_Crayola_]]>_. \___/
______________/_____.________ -||-
_____'-_______/____._.___._._.___/\
posted 08-11-07 00:17 AM EDT (US)     9 / 47  
Wow a great strategy. Here's a forum about Unction I remembered:

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,32396,,all

I messed around with using missionaries+ unction when TWC came out (though not in multiplayer). Using them wasn't cost-effective when you rush in 1v1, but as a sling it seems awesome.

Here you might be able to find some cards that can help. The List cavalry TEAM card that helps LI and Cav seems interesting:
http://www.hanson-family.ws/aoe3/twc/Russians_cardlist.html

Good luck. What I want to see is what happens to elmeti with missionaries (maybe have the Spanish player send the card?) ,or even cuirassiers.
posted 08-11-07 02:23 AM EDT (US)     10 / 47  
I know that the russian card is usefull, but dont you think spanish player can still do this without it.

I guess anything is possible but without the Russian team priests card, they train to slow and are fairly expensive for early game. With this card, you can ensure they are always on the battle field and easily replaced.

I think ES put this card in the Spanish deck to allow for the Spanish to compete in late Industrial when their shipment bonus starts to decline and they can afford to throw out a few priests for bonus damage.

Leveling can be fast and easy. Boring, but in one evening you can easily have a level 40++. I mostly play Aztecs so had to level in this manner to get my Spanish to level 60 (need 500 food politician for this strategy to work smoothly). I have no urge to be another FF Spain player…
Click here for details

If you see me on one night, give me a holler. No one active my clan that is also my rank is a Russian enthusiastic. In team games, it is important to have a partner within a few ranks of each other to be able to quickly find fairly matched games. Since my partner I was experimenting with this went to school, I haven’t got to apply it in many fairly matched games. In the games I have applied it, it worked, but I could have done a standard rush and it would have worked as well. Like I said, it is harder to pull off, but fun.

Here you might be able to find some cards that can help. The List cavalry TEAM card that helps LI and Cav seems interesting:
Funny, I don’t remember that thread but in it I made the following comment…
Early game (Colonial), when you cannot afford a missionary (building a church takes time and resources) the shipment can be better spent on resources or military. Of course, Spanish get plenty of shipments.
Must have sat in my sub-conscious for awhile before I figured it out! It came to me while I was adding healers to my Unit Comparison Spreadsheet (see signature).

I am very familiar with MNBob’s HC card links. He is in the same clan I am in. Also check out my TWC AOE3 QUICK REFERENCE Guide . There is a worksheet “Home City Shipments – European” where you can apply filters and such. You can also download it directly from my signature (or view online with no interactivity function).

[This message has been edited by Cyclohexane (edited 08-11-2007 @ 02:25 AM).]

posted 08-11-07 07:08 AM EDT (US)     11 / 47  
I tested out for you to help make the formula in the editor, I can give you the raw data if you want, but the UI isn't very accurate in displaying the exact data output so it was difficult to tell if it was stacking up by addition or it was as I said. However I will tell you this, 10 missionaries affecting 1 colonial skirmisher (15 damage), against 1 halb dealt 49 damage (putting aside the UI inaccuracy). This means the skirm attack out was 24.5 (they get a x2 against halbs). (24.5 - 15)/15 * 100 = 63.3% increase in attack, not 50.

According to the formula for teepees (applied for missionaries): 1.05^10 * 15 = 24.43. So I believe the formula for teepees is

1.1^n * <base damage> = new damage.

Had the bonus only been 50%, they would have dealt 45 damage to the halb instead of 49.

100(1.05^n - 1) is the bonus increase in damage by missionaries (change to 1.1 for teepees).

This is the same formula for HP too (however the aura is much smaller than attack 24 range, only 10 range).

For missionaries change the 10% bonus to 5% and you get

1.05^n * <base damage> = new damage.

Where n is the number of missionaries or teepees.

I tested it from 1 to 10 missionaries, and all the values were always equal or 1 off (due to rounding) of the values I get with the formula. Hope you find this info useful

EDIT: I will just like to note that unction does not enable the aura for allies, only your spanish units. However the russian will benefit from the healing abilities, which will save you lots. 10 Missionaries can heal entire armies in little time.

[This message has been edited by George_uk (edited 08-11-2007 @ 08:10 AM).]

posted 08-11-07 07:55 AM EDT (US)     12 / 47  
@Cyclohexane:

I'd love to play with you, what timezone?

AgeSanctuary Staff member.
posted 08-11-07 11:02 AM EDT (US)     13 / 47  
posted 08-11-07 04:57 PM EDT (US)     14 / 47  
Thanks, i love seeing new units being used for things.

ESO= AceOfKings
Current: AOE3 TAD
posted 08-12-07 02:41 AM EDT (US)     15 / 47  
Awesome strategy. I really want to start putting this to use fast.
posted 08-12-07 05:38 AM EDT (US)     16 / 47  
I have 72 Russians and wouldnt mind playing with ya but im only a sergeant.

~#~#~ ESO: bacon~#~#~

Favorite Civs: China, Germans, Aztec

PR Rank: Master Sergeant.
posted 08-12-07 11:49 AM EDT (US)     17 / 47  
Cyclohexane - Thanks for a very interesting strategy. It's nice to find strategies that I've never even thought of, using units/cards that are rarely used. Most of those wacky new kind of strategies aren't that good (and are from newbies who don't know what good cards are), but this one actually sounds very good. And as others have been saying, it presents an option to lone spanish players as well (making Unction missionaries, maybe not for a rush, but later in the game). I never bothered trying the card because I figured it did not stack (not sure why I made that assumption). The fact that they stack on top of each others bonuses makes it even more significant (the 63% versus 50% bonus damage debate).

Now, I'm only a master sarge (18-19 usually) but I've got a decent leveled russian HC (about 50) and I am a russian enthusiast. I would need to purchase the cheaper priest card, but I certainly could within a level or two. It's up to you if our levels are too far apart, I'd understand if your looking for a better player (for balance and quicksearch reasons). But the offer is out there if you would like to. Your strategy sounds too interesting to pass up.
posted 08-12-07 12:14 PM EDT (US)     18 / 47  
Good thinking. I like creativity.

ESO: JarlNick

Want to talk OP? AOE3 Abus Guns at release were nightmares. But I knew how to take care of them! Beware my Culverins you artillery bastards! Oh wait...- MNBob

posted 08-13-07 06:45 AM EDT (US)     19 / 47  
this is the best strategy to come out on this forum in ages. Great job.
I really like the idea, and shows good research and creativity.

It sounds like a very enjoyable strategy to attempt.

ESO2 - Crashtest

"I don't have 3 hours to break through your 50 layers of walls to kill you.
Real men play without walls." LordKivlov
posted 08-13-07 09:43 AM EDT (US)     20 / 47  
Sweeeeeet... I like this one a lot! Unction and Team Cheap Priests sounds like the most enjoyable combo since chocolate and peanut butter.

I've had some (what I thought were) "cool" ideas with Unction as well, but this is a lot better than anything I was thinking about. Team play creates some very interesting possibilities!

I was also wondering whether there would be any way to modify this strategy slightly to turn it into a cavalry-heavy attack. The reason that I like this is that cavalry are "larger", stronger units (more amenable to healing and raiding) and will be boosted in 1.04. Could a Spaniard go Hussar\Missionary and a Russian go Cossacks (while shipping in 13 strelets to assist with killing counter-cav)?

I think it would all depend on a question I don't yet know the answer to -- does your teammate also benefit from the aura? If so, then the mega-cossacks sound like a really solid bet. If not, I'd be less sure about that.

Nice job with this and thanks for sharing!

Strategies:
- BWKiC - A British Fast Fortress strategy
- The Aztec Scout Slam- An Envoy Rush, Native-Style
posted 08-13-07 09:49 AM EDT (US)     21 / 47  
The aura doesn't affect team mates.

And just as I was reading your reply Joe, I was having a chocolate and peanut butter sandwich.

posted 08-13-07 10:49 AM EDT (US)     22 / 47  
I was having a chocolate and peanut butter sandwich
*thinks to himself*
DISCLAIMER:
The title sounds like something you would find in a dirty magazine, but it is not what you’re thinking...
*Peter Griffin style giggling*

ESO2 - Crashtest

"I don't have 3 hours to break through your 50 layers of walls to kill you.
Real men play without walls." LordKivlov
posted 08-13-07 11:49 AM EDT (US)     23 / 47  
I tried this same thing about a month ago but could not get it to go.

gj mate =)
posted 08-13-07 11:56 AM EDT (US)     24 / 47  
I'd love to play with you, what timezone?
Central Time (US and Canada): -06:00 GMT
I have 72 Russians and wouldnt mind playing with ya but im only a sergeant.
It would be difficult for us to find games but I play for fun anyway so look me up.
This is the same formula for HP too (however the aura is much smaller than attack 24 range, only 10 range).
Are you saying for teepees the attack aura is 24 while the hit point aura is 10? I thought the attack and hit point aura was 10 for both! ES should really clear this up in the HC card text since this makes teepees much more useful! I wonder if it is a bug or they way it was planned.

I also agree with your conclusions for the Unction aura. I will update the damage tables for each Colonial unit soon (just rounding to the whole number, so +/- 1) to incorporate the new formula, 100*(1.05^N - 1) = damage % increase. The % increase should be as follows:

# Missionaries.....Aura Effect (+ % Damage)
1.......................5%
2.......................10%
3.......................16%
4.......................22%
5.......................28%
6.......................34%
7.......................41%
8.......................48%
9.......................55%
10.....................63%

I would like to point out here that a +63% damage increase is huge. Veteran units get 20%, Guard an additional 30% (50% cumulative) while royal Guard get 40% (60% cumulative). You will essentially be getting royal guard damage in Colonial!

For example, a hussar will be doing 48 damage each! They will do more damage than Uhlans but lots more hit points! I’m really leaning towards a hussar spam as the Spanish, especially with 20% ranged resists in Patch 1.4 (400 effective hit points versus Uhlans 271)! Come to think of it, even their siege will be 32…

Can you verify that the damage the aura applies is applied to the new total after other increases (rather than the base amount)? For example, if a 15% attack HC shipment is sent, using an aura will stack on top of the 15% value, rather than 78% (63% + 15%). That is the way the Iroquois HP aura works (treats the new value after +% cards have been sent as the base value, rather than adding the +% increase of cards and auras to the base).
I was also wondering whether there would be any way to modify this strategy slightly to turn it into a cavalry-heavy attack. The reason that I like this is that cavalry are "larger", stronger units (more amenable to healing and raiding) and will be boosted in 1.04. Could a Spaniard go Hussar\Missionary and a Russian go Cossacks (while shipping in 13 strelets to assist with killing counter-cav)?

I think it would all depend on a question I don't yet know the answer to -- does your teammate also benefit from the aura? If so, then the mega-cossacks sound like a really solid bet. If not, I'd be less sure about that.
The aura is like any of the Natives auras and only affects Spain’s units. However, they will benefit from healing. Unfortunately, low hit point units, like most of the Russians units, are the worst type units to heal (because easily replaceable). I have tested this a few different ways but with the greatest effect if the Spanish goes pikes and the Russian going strelets.

However, in 1.4, with the huge Hussar boost, I am thinking of altering the strategy for hussars as Spanish and strelets as Russian. With the 500 food politician, the Spaniard can easily go hussars as well. The Russian can take care of heavy infantry / light cavalry (not that you see much of this in Age 2) while the Spanish can kill light infantry / melee cavalry. You will not have any siege but the Russian can slowly add in Grenadiers while you raid and starve the opponents off hunts to obtain map control. If both civs went cavalry, heavy infantry would be a problem. The Russians can cost effectively beat heavy infantry easily.

I will keep the strategy flexible in unit choice (still the majority of it is the same, age with 500 food, send wood for church and Missionaries, mine gold, etc.) but I am thinking a strelet + royal guard damage hussar spam will be a tough combination to beat. Spanish on hussars / Missionaries for constant raiding and flanking while the Russian spams stelets and slowly adds grenadiers to keep them in a corner.

[This message has been edited by Cyclohexane (edited 08-13-2007 @ 12:59 PM).]

posted 08-13-07 12:12 PM EDT (US)     25 / 47  
I am not sure if this is the place to ask it but I have been wondering...

Are Spainish Priests Pop effective?

I.E. If I have 10 Priests = 10 Pop

(X # of Units) + 10 = (X # of Units)(Attack Bonus)

Is it always better to have the extra 10 units?

Oh and do Priests affect Culv as well?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » TEAM STRATEGY: Russian + Spanish Missionary Sling
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames