You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A guide to Revolutions
posted 11-14-07 06:22 AM EDT (US)   
The Revolutions feature is availible in the TWC and TAD expansion that provides an alternate 'Imperial' Age for all European Civs. However, most of the time a normal Imperial age is a much better and Revolting is considered suicidal and will most likely lose the game for you. However in the right circumstances a Revolution can take your opponent completely offguard and give you a large (but short lived) military advantage. Here is a quick overview on the pros and cons of revolution:

Pros:
•Gives you an instant ~99 Colonial Militia which can be used to completely overwhelm your opponent.
•Gives you some alternative cards such as unlimited fort wagons and gatling guns.
•Is Cheaper than Imperial Age
•Gives you max pop without need for houses
•Makes your Home City Change and become overrun with drunks.

Cons:
•You lose all villagers and cannot create any more
•Lose access to all other cards
•Cannot gather any more resources or build buildings apart from Forts, TP and TC.

When to Revolt:
The most effective time to revolt is when you have a slight edge over your opponent or have amassed a huge army and can't create any more troops because of pop cap. The ~99 colonial militia give you the advantage of superior numbers.Another time to revolt is as a last resort if you are losing a battle and need the milita. However once the militia dry up you will probably lose anyway unless you can sufficently damage your opponents eco. All civs are pretty equal at revolutions but the dutch might be the best because of their banks can provide you with coin. Revolutions can be useful in large team games if one person revolts and uses the cards to create something like this:

How to optimize revolutions:
You should attack your opponent ASAP before his better economy can give him an advantage. Before you revolt make sure you have 2 factories, fishing if possible, and trickle cards and trading post upgraded to at least stagecoach. Also if you are playing a map with Cree make sure you own a settlement so you can produce coureurs after you revolt.It is unlikely that if your initial attack fails you will be able to continue staying on top because of your poor economy. Make sure that when you make you main assualt that who have everyone. It's a big waste if there are a couple of Colonial Militia near a clump of trees or garrisoned in a Town Center. If you're using the maximized AI then you can use the 'All Military Gather Point' button near the map. Also the Idle Military button/banner.

How to defend against an opponent who has revolted:
If you see that your opponent has revolted bring your troops into your main base and wait for the large onslaught of militia and other soldiers. Try to draw them under building fire and micro your soldiers accordingly. If your base gets wiped out you still have a chance to rebuild and overtake your opponents again. If you survive the initial attack then you should be able to gain economic and military advantage and win the game

Revolutionary Units:

Colonial Milita:This is a Musketeer type unit with a better ranged bonus against cav than normal musketeers. Quite useful in numbers. They are availible from HC, Towncenters or if you build a house as British.
Attack: All Cavalry, Heavy Infantry
Run From: Skirmishers and Artillery.

Gatling Gun:Similar to the Organ Gun. Has dimished attack against cav and artillery however still dishes out a fair amount of damage. Ok in large numbers with a anti-cav meatshield of CM. Unfortunatley they are quite expensive. Availible from HC and Foundry.
Attack: Everything.
Run From: Cav and Culverins.

Fort:A good defensive building that provides map control and will decimate an attacking force (unless they have mortars.) Availible from HC.
Attack: Anything that walks past
Run From: Termites

Ironclad: This is a monitor/frigate mongrel breed of ship that has surprisingly limited uses. The are only availible in limited numbers and without support will die! Availible from HC only.
Attack: Any Ship providing you have bigger numbers.
Run From: Culverins and Towers.

The most useful shipment in most revolutionary situations is 16 Colonial Militia!

A List of Revolutionary Politicians

L'Overture: (Britain and France)
Bonus: Increased Colonial Militia Hitpoints.
Not very good

Washington: (British and Dutch)
Bonus: Increased Gatling Gun Hitpoints
Not very good

Hidalgo: (Port and Spain)
Bonus: A small Force of Outlaws arrive at HC drop off point.
One of the best Politicians.

Bonifacio: (Dutch, Port)
Bonus: A group of Tupi warriors arrive at HC drop off point.
One of the best politicians.

Bolivar: (German, Russians)
Bonus: All units slightly increased HP.
Not a great option.

San Martin (German)
Bonus: 6 Imperial Howizters
Very Useful

Santander (French, Ottoman and Russian)
Bonus: 3 Ironclads.
Ok on water maps

O'Higgins: (Spain, Ottoman)
Bonus: 10 Imperial Hussar
Very helpful

As you can see the more useful politicians tend to be the ones that grant additional troops to add to your horde. The short term bonus are much better in a Revolutionary situation. The overall best Politician is O'Higgins. He grants you 10 Imperial Hussar, which also upgrades all Hussar to Imperial. This is good because it's the only unit you can make Imperial aswell as Hussar being able to protect your Colonial Militia from Cannons and Skirmishers.

Sepoy Resistance

This is a card availible to India in the Industrial age. It costs 2000 Wood to ship and converts all your villagers into Sepoys (+1 Villager). This option is basically a revolution for the Indians. However in many ways it is a less 'suicidal' option:
  • It Allows you to Continue training Villagers
  • You retain your original deck
  • You may still get to the Imperial Age
  • It's cheaper than Revolution (However you don't get a politicians bonus)

ESO NAME: UGMO
    I AM USING: TAD
    I AM PLAYING: The Aztecs, British and Russians
    .oO James246: Well, you wouldn't be able to sigg any dumb things I say, because I don't say them. :P Oo.

[This message has been edited by Colonel_UGMO (edited 10-15-2008 @ 06:49 AM).]

• Replies:
    posted 11-14-07 06:32 AM EDT (US)     1 / 5  
    Nice guide. Comments will help my mod to improve revolution.

Lord Tahattus - Register yourselves at the WotTA forum!
    WOTTA WEBSITE!
    War of the Triple Alliance Beta!
    Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
    TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!
    posted 11-14-07 11:56 AM EDT (US)     2 / 5  
    I liked the German Settler Wagon boomback, but they destroyed that with patch 1.04.

The indians have a card called Sepoy Resistance, it turns all your villagers into sepoys for 2000 wood. It is basically a revolution in some aspects except that it allows you to make villagers. It might be worthwhile, I haven't tried it though.

"Apparently, arguing for the right to do something no-one wants to do is the lifeblood of HG." - TaylorFlame

"Whatever happened, BFME2H did it better. No Exceptions." - EnemyofJupitor
    posted 11-14-07 12:59 PM EDT (US)     3 / 5  
    And Guard Sepoys look much better than Colonial Militia. Although you won't be getting some neat Revolution bonuses, I guess that the ability to train Settlers again, age up to Imperial and actually use decent shipments is good enough. Oh yeah, and you can actually use it after Imperial, so you get Imperial Sepoys! Can it get any more l33t?

Now about Revolutions. I don't really think that it's weak, though I admit that most of the time it's not an option. It's much safer to keep playing in Industrial and, most of the time, if you can win through Revolution, you would have won not doing it anyway. In other words, most of the time it's just a fast and fancy way to finish the game quicker... not to mention the awesome song that's played when you win!

Though there are a few times where it might actually win you the game when other strategy wouldn't, but usually it works as a stalemate breaker. I remember the time Swinger got me with it, it was just a well time surprise that all those Tupis and Gatling Guns just walked over my base. Oh, and there is that crazy Otto FI with Imperial Hussars too, but I have never been a victim of one

EDIT: Ugh, forgot mentioning that. If I were to boost Revolution I'd just make its shipments actually worth something, and maybe boost Gatling Guns so they are as good as Rabaulds. I think that if you revolted you should at least get powerful shipments, not shipments which are actually worse than the ones you had before revolting.

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
    "Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.

[This message has been edited by Cherub Walker (edited 11-14-2007 @ 01:04 PM).]

posted 11-14-07 02:10 PM EDT (US)     4 / 5  
    Does the revolutions feature work in vanilla?
    posted 11-14-07 03:31 PM EDT (US)     5 / 5  
    No, sorry.

"Apparently, arguing for the right to do something no-one wants to do is the lifeblood of HG." - TaylorFlame

"Whatever happened, BFME2H did it better. No Exceptions." - EnemyofJupitor
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » A guide to Revolutions
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames