You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Basic Portuguese Rush
posted 12-20-07 11:49 AM EDT (US)   
After playing several games with Portugal, and getting bored with a turtle-type game style, I decided to try a more aggressive style of play. I've tried this strategy only a handful of times, so it is a bit crude and un-perfected, and bears a great resemblance to the Portuguese Musketeer Rush written by hellblazer970, but with some differences (mind you, I had no clue of his strategy until after I searched for strategies similar to mine).

Now, the neat part about this strategy is that it does not necessarily have to be used as the format for a rush. It is basically just a short two age build order with a few cards. It is easily malleable to fit any particular game style or opponent, and can be successfully done at a very low Home City Level.

Also - I have made this description as simple as I can - I know that not all of you need it so basic, but I feel that there are a lot of players out there who like/need it this way.

Cards Needed:
300 Wood
600 Wood
8 Crossbowmen
6 Musketeers

As you begin, place two of your villagers on the food crates, and your other five villagers on local hunts. After your food crates have been gathered, place one of the villagers onto hunts with the rest, cue up as many villagers as you can, and place the Town Center gather point on the animals that you are hunting. Place your other crate villager on the wood crate(s). As soon as he is finished gathering all those, make him build as many houses as your current wood stockpile allows. You will need them. As soon as he is finished doing that, place him on the food as well. Keep creating villagers and putting them on food until you have a total of 12.

While you are doing all that, you will need to have your explorer, well, exploring. For the first minute of game play, have him move in complete circles around your town, getting all the smaller treasures that you can - but don't get him killed! Around the 1:30 mark, start moving him towards your opponent. Don't walk strait through his town center, but do circles around his town as well, finding where his huntables are, where the big clumps of wood are, and where the mines are. Choose either the left side or the right side of his town, and focus more on that one than the other - as you need to find a good place for a barracks.

When your first shipment becomes available, choose the three hundred wood. Once it arrives, don't get it just yet.

Sometime around 2:30 to 3:15, or even earlier, you should get your 800 food for aging up. Choose the 500 food age-up. Immediately after you start the age-up process, take one villager, and send him to the side of the map near your opponent that your explorer is scouting. Take two other villagers, and task them with gathering your wood crates that you had sent. Once they are done, task them on gathering wood.

You should have, at this moment:
9 Villagers on food
2 Villagers on wood
1 Villager walking

When the age-up occurs:

1. Have your "walking" villager start building a barracks as close to your opponent as you can.

2. You should have a second shipment available - send the 8 Crossbows.

3. Take one of your hunting villagers and make a house, then place him on the 500 food that arrived with age-up. After he is done there, place him on wood.

4. You have a town center wagon. Place it next to your existing Town Center, but not too close. Task both TC's on making villagers, with both gather points on wood.

After your barracks is created, start making crossbows. You will probably be able to make 2, might be able to squeeze out three, possibly four, and if you are really lucky, five. It all depends on if you were able to gather extra treasure, and how well you managed your villagers earlier.

Now, it's up to you. You will probably have 10 to 11 crossbows available for attack at the 5:00 to 5:30 mark. If your initial attacks are successful, you will probably be able to send two more shipments rather quickly: first the 6 musketeers, and secondly, the 600 wood, which will help a lot with the crossbow production.

Other things to consider:

Your opponent will probably rush. If you find out from scouting that he has already placed a forward barracks, your best bet is instead of placing your barracks near his town, place it in yours, so as to better defend against the probable onslaught.

If you are lucky to find that he is not rushing, be careful where you place your barracks. Placing it near a source of food, coin, or even a trading post is great for defense purposes, but will be much easier to find naturally by your opponent with his villagers. If you know that he knows you're there, place the barracks near the resources. But, if he doesn't know you are there, place it somewhere where there is nothing of significance.

Good Luck.

(If you find an error in my writing, grammatical or game-wise, please tell me. Thanks!)

Foy

"Gerald began--but was interrupted by a piercing whistle which cost him ten percent of his hearing permanently, as it did everyone else in a ten-mile radius of the eruption, not that it mattered much because for them "permanently" meant the next ten minutes or so until buried by searing lava or suffocated by choking ash--to pee." ---- Jim Gleeson, Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest Grand Prize Winner of 2007

[This message has been edited by Foy Lyndstrom (edited 12-20-2007 @ 02:20 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-20-07 01:32 PM EDT (US)     1 / 21  
Very good.
One problem
You have a town center wagon. Place it next to your existing Town Center, but not too close. Task both TC's on making villagers, with both gather points on wood.
Why not have the second TC up by the FB? To get shipments and serve as some extra map control.

Retired GameReplays.org Senior Replay Reviewer
World Class Drum Corps International Mellophonist 2009
Proud Winner of "Best Newbie Award" BFME2H, a long time ago
posted 12-20-07 02:14 PM EDT (US)     2 / 21  
I thought it best to keep it back for defense purposes. Hauling that wagon across the map can be dangerous, even if you seem to be controlling the battle at their place. If you want shipments out there, an outpost can be built.

Also, spawning villagers that close to the front can be quite dangerous. Those villagers can be picked off at ease by your opponents, if they get any military strength. If they beat back your rush, they will attack that spot first. That might leave you with only one Town Center, still in the second age, and an opponent who is mad as heck, and has momentum.

On the other hand, let's say you keep it back. You have two town centers pumping out villagers, in relative safety. If they decide to counter-attack while you are attacking them, having two TC's at home can be a great resource, allowing all your villagers in the area to retreat to safety, and allowing you to have extra firepower there as well.

"Gerald began--but was interrupted by a piercing whistle which cost him ten percent of his hearing permanently, as it did everyone else in a ten-mile radius of the eruption, not that it mattered much because for them "permanently" meant the next ten minutes or so until buried by searing lava or suffocated by choking ash--to pee." ---- Jim Gleeson, Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest Grand Prize Winner of 2007
posted 12-20-07 03:55 PM EDT (US)     3 / 21  
I guess that's a good point, but I'll keep sending it to the front.
I'm too old to change my ways now.

Retired GameReplays.org Senior Replay Reviewer
World Class Drum Corps International Mellophonist 2009
Proud Winner of "Best Newbie Award" BFME2H, a long time ago
posted 12-20-07 08:31 PM EDT (US)     4 / 21  
with your tc at the front, if your rush fails, just ship CM and then everytime your opponent comes close just put 9 vills in the tc, which ohko's everything thats not a jannisary in colonial age...

׺°˜`°º×RealityFatality׺°˜`°º×
"So, what do you guys think? What's theverdict? OP, or do I need to stop smoking crack?"
"I don't have hard drives. I just keep 30 chinese teenagers in my basement and force them to memorize numbers"

[This message has been edited by Kiverly Spears (edited 18-12-2008 @ 9:21 PM).]
posted 12-21-07 01:58 AM EDT (US)     5 / 21  
This looks good, I love the ports, so i'll try this strat.

Question: What about siege? Xbows won't do much there and musks aren't that great vs buildings. Possible to make pikemen instead of xbows? Have you tried it out?

Supporter of Gay Marriage.
posted 12-21-07 02:23 AM EDT (US)     6 / 21  
Which civs are u particularly targeting with this?. i assume u will try this on land maps ,whereas on sea go for the schooner boom?
posted 12-21-07 06:50 AM EDT (US)     7 / 21  
Question: What about siege? Xbows won't do much there and musks aren't that great vs buildings. Possible to make pikemen instead of xbows? Have you tried it out?
Entirely possible. I forgot to include that portion:

If your attack becomes quite successful, and you notice that there are not that many opposing units present, it is time to start making pikemen. They are the best siege units available in colonial, and cost wood and food - the same as crossbows. If you have enough wood, start making a second barracks next to you first. It will be good to keep making a constant production of both.

If, earlier in your attack, your opponent starts spamming hussars, or is luck enough to be germans, you will need to start making the pikes earlier.

Another point on this strategy that I forgot:

A Spanish Fast Fortress, which, if you do not know, will probably produce two falconets, might wipe you right out. One of the greatest weaknesses of this strategy is the fact that you are not collecting any gold. Instead, you are focusing on food and wood to produce a crossbow/pike attacking force. This means that until you have sufficient enough resources to maintain the spam, you will not be able to advance to Fortress. Maybe after the 8:00 - 10:00 mark, switching both TC to produce gold bearing villagers would be a good idea, if not tasking only one to do it earlier.
Which civs are u particularly targeting with this?. i assume u will try this on land maps ,whereas on sea go for the schooner boom?
Correct - Land maps only. Wood is going to creating barracks, houses, and crossbows. The C-bows fill out the pop slots mightily quickly, so many houses are needed. Regarding opponents, possibly a non Fast Fortress Spanish player, maybe not a german (maybe), but most others you can try...I really don't know. A British player might take his time doing a semi-extended manor boom, allowing you to cut in before he expects it. But do not allow him to get his barracks out - his longbows might own your crossbows, if he gets enough of them. Also, do not take out his houses, as that will only help him later, by giving him more villagers.

Thanks,
Foy

posted 12-22-07 05:58 AM EDT (US)     8 / 21  
are u going to use this vs russians?what about blockhouses and sevastopol?
and ottomans?
and i am not a port player but i am curious what strategy u use in a port mirror,do both go industrial?
posted 12-22-07 08:12 AM EDT (US)     9 / 21  
are u going to use this vs russians?what about blockhouses and sevastopol?
and ottomans?
and i am not a port player but i am curious what strategy u use in a port mirror,do both go industrial?
I guess with Russians, you would just need to keep your crossbows active, and be constantly monitoring what is going on. If you can get to the blockhouse builders before the blockhouse gets up, you might be able to stop him. If on the other hand, you`can't, you could also try to just contain him within his town while you attempt to get to Industrial for a Mortar barrage.

As for ottoman's, no clue. I have not tried this strategy against them, and so I have no real idea.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a Port Mirror? Is it trying this strategy, but in a different civ?

Thanks,
Foy

posted 12-22-07 08:34 AM EDT (US)     10 / 21  
A mirror is when the two players are using the same civ

I like this strat, it looks like a strat used by the expert The_Demon on agesanctuary.com ..A few days before the launch of TAD, he posted a ton of recs similar to that, with the exception that the goal is going to fortress to crank bestieros out(he would put 30+ vils on wood at an early stage)

[This message has been edited by Wakawakka (edited 12-22-2007 @ 09:11 AM).]

posted 12-22-07 09:08 AM EDT (US)     11 / 21  
I love rushing with Ports, and I don't find it to be that difficult either. You can slay a few of their vils, while nearly continously booming from your own two TC's.

I really like Ports, just they are screwed unfairly against some civ matchups.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
posted 12-23-07 02:53 AM EDT (US)     12 / 21  
And what are the screwed civ matchups?
posted 12-23-07 05:11 AM EDT (US)     13 / 21  
Spain Sioux and France

"You cannnot discover inhabited land , If not i could go and 'discover' England" - Iroquois Chief
posted 12-23-07 07:25 AM EDT (US)     14 / 21  
well so far with this strat ive won 3/3 matches
against chinese, spainish and french
2 were pretty comfortable wins in 15-20 mins
against the french i beat them in just under 10 mins

i like this strat although when i get the 2nd town center i almost start switich to gold for muskets

[This message has been edited by Red Coat_monkey (edited 12-23-2007 @ 07:35 AM).]

posted 12-23-07 07:50 AM EDT (US)     15 / 21  
Dutch-Port match-ups are fairly screwed too...

Congratulations Serge - Winner of the FFA Spring Series 2008
posted 12-23-07 08:47 AM EDT (US)     16 / 21  
well i jst beat a dutch too
prevnted himrm goin fortress nd just wore them down ^_^
posted 12-23-07 11:59 AM EDT (US)     17 / 21  
I'm gonna give it a try, sound fun. Yeah, sounds like a lot of wood will be available, so instead of FB TC, make Outpost. I love early outposts

Scenarios: Worldmap Series I: North America, Worldmap Series II: Caribbean, The Wasteland

Editor of: Orissa, Kill the Sun, Bathe in Hate

Current Projects: Fog of War, Island Hopping
posted 12-23-07 12:18 PM EDT (US)     18 / 21  
Q: why 600 wood when ports have 700w

"You cannnot discover inhabited land , If not i could go and 'discover' England" - Iroquois Chief
posted 12-24-07 00:07 AM EDT (US)     19 / 21  
Red coat,just curious what level the french,dutch and spanish were?[no insult meant]
posted 12-24-07 05:32 AM EDT (US)     20 / 21  
HC or player?

they were high master sergents boarding 2nds athought i do think that one was a sergent

but im sure their HC were over 60 ( i kno thats vauge and guessing)

dw no insult taken i got a bit carried away that i was actually winning with ports espiecally against dutch and french which ive never beaten before.

im not an amzing player but ive got myself up to 2nd with ports
this strat works for me so far though 4/4 wins

i understand thought this might not be great against good players depending on how they react

you should definatly try it though see how it goes
i feel part of the port club now ^_^
posted 12-24-07 10:43 AM EDT (US)     21 / 21  
Q: why 600 wood when ports have 700w
Good question. With the current set-up, a player only has to have a level 4 Home city to perform the strategy. If you upgrade to 700, you'll need a 10+ Home City.

The beauty of this strategy is that virtually any level player can use it. You don't need to be level 40, you have to be only 4!

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Basic Portuguese Rush
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames