You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The TAPE: A New Aztec Strategy
posted 04-02-08 05:39 PM EDT (US)   
The general consensus, pre-1.01 of TAD, was that the Aztecs were a civilization made for rushing. If you were playing the Aztecs and not doing a BBR or puma or coyote/mace rush, you would lose. However, even then those statements were wrong, and with the war priest boost in 1.01, they’re more wrong than ever. I present to you a unique Aztec strat that will allow you to utilize the Aztec’s war priest bonus to its fullest, and to pull off a wicked boom in colonial WHILE out massing your opponent with hordes of Coyote Runners, Macheultans and Puma Spearmen mowing through their troops/ buildings. I present to you, ladies and gentlemen: the

Aztec Warpriest Explosion

This strat uses the Aztec fire pit/war priest advantage to start an almost unstoppable train. If you can make it past 10-12 minutes with this strat, your chances of winning the game are excellent. I’d like to take credit for this strategy; however, I’m positive that there are people out there using the same strat, to good success. This version was 100% my own idea, but I’d like to credit some random Sioux guy I played against, who showed me the true power of the fire pit.

How does this work, you ask? Well the goal is to get 10 War Priests (the maximum amount that can be built) in sub 8-10 minutes. From there, you can pull off a wicked fast boom whilst flooding the enemy with masses of units.

Sound good? Well, it will require at least 8 minutes of your opponent not attacking or coming up with light siege, repelable attacks. In this case, it not a “one strat fits all” sort of build. However, this strategy decimates Fast Fortresses, can surpass a Portuguese Colonial boom quite easily and can stand up to a British colonial house boom with ease. Anybody that delays their attack for at least 8 minutes, or will attack with a small, light siege army is the perfect civ to destroy with this strategy. So this strategy is good against British, Dutch, French, German, Japan and Portuguese. It can also work against any FFing civ not listed here (i.e. Spain, China), but against those civs, good scouting is required to establish that they are FFing and not rushing.

The Strategy

Onto the strategy itself! By now, you should have figured out that this strategy revolves around one unit, unique to the Aztec civilization: the Warrior Priest.

Inn he cute? You start the game off with one War Priest in addition to your 5 villagers. They’re basically like a priest/ imam unit… that has the special ability to dance at the fire pit. With the patch, this guy counts for 2.5 villagers while dancing at the fire pit. That means that for 10 pop, you can have the equivalent of 25 dancers on the fire pit, which I believe is the max for Sioux and Iroquois. This also means that you can have 10 more villagers if you choose, for a total of the equivalent of 35 villager’s boogying around your pit. This also means that you get the equivalent of 25 villagers, without having to maim your eco by taking 25 vills off of work. Sounds nice, huh? Where do I sign up? Unfortunately, there are only 2 ways to get these babies:

1.Card Shipments: The cards 3 Warrior priests and TEAM 2 Warrior Priests can be sent in the Colonial ages, for a total of 5 War Priests.

Holy Dance: A special dance at the fire pit that spawns Warrior Priests! Grant it, it’s not exactly super speedy, but as you near the War Priest cap, you will see that they will begin to spawn in 20 seconds, or even less!

This strat will utilize both methods to get you a strong 10 War Priests, within the first ten minutes of the game, at most. Alright, now on to the meat and taters: the rough build order itself. For use on primarily land maps, although you could easily do a fish boom with this strat later.

-For the starting vills: put two on food crates, two on hunt and one on wood crates. Queue vills ASAP, and put them on hunt. Continue villager production.

-Build a fire pit right nect your TC with one of your wood vills, then a house. It is important to build the pit next to your TC in case you get attackes, so you can quickly garrison your War Priests. As soon as the pit is built, send your WP to the pit, and do the Fertility Dance. Put all vills on food. Don’t forget to herd!!! This is very important, as you’ll be quite vulnerable for the first bit. I like to have at least two hunting groups in my base by the time I hit Colonial.

-First card is the predictable Three Villagers.

-Age up at 18 or 19 vills, whichever feels more comfortable. Choose the Shaman age up politician for the free war hut travois.

-Immediately shift your vills to around 50/50 food/ wood, and change the fire pit dance to Gift Dance (for now at least). No point dancing Fertility when you’re not producing any units, now is there? Build as many houses as possible, and look for any treasures. EXP, food and wood are all very valuable. Even gold is nice, because it allows you to produce a few Puma Spearmen, or research market techs.

-As soon as you hit Classical, get ready for some quick reaction time. Ship either 3 Warrior Priests (TEAM 2 Warrior Priests if your HC is under 25) for a faster time or 10 Macheultans , 5 Coyote Runners or 6 Puma Spearmen. I prefer the war priests, because they really reduce the time it takes for you to get to your 10 WP max, but 11 Maces may be essential if you find your opponent is going to be putting on some heavy pressure.

-Send anywhere from 5-10 vills to the fire pit, and switch the dance to the Holy Dance. If you want to keep up a decent military production, choose less vills on the pit; if your opponent will not attack, go with 10.If you shipped the 3 WPs, stick them on the fire pit ASAP.

-Send your War Hut travois to wherever you need it most. For example, if your wood spot is far away from the TC, send it there to protect your villies from raids. If they’re putting on heavy pressure, build it near your TC. (This is not the best strat for a rush or anything, but if they pull anything unsuspected…)

-Keep vill production up, with them tasked to wood. Keep on building houses, as getting housed is not nice with this strat. Try and build either Maces or Coyotes to counter your opponent’s army with left over resources.

-Continue the WP dance. When I auto- task them to the fire pit, it doesn’t work, but it may for you. If not, manually micro them to the fire pit each time there is a war priest produced.

-If you are pressured heavily: Don’t sweat too much. You can always abort this strat at less than 10 War Priests and start to pump out a quick army, thanks to your Fertility Dance. If you get stuck with a terrible eco, ship 10+9 maces ASAP and use the Alarm Dance to spawn warriors. This, plus TC/ WH fire, should be able to fight off an early wave.

-Send either res shipments (700 food, 700 wood and 700 gold are all good choices), military shipments, or even 5 villagers.

-Once you have the magical 10 war priests, switch the dance to Fertility Dance once more. Believe me, now you’ll understand why I call this strat an “explosion”. Your score will simply shoot up, and so will your pop, so keep more people on wood than you usually would and/ or ship 700 wood crates. Take all of the vills off of the pit now, and usually put them on food, because your villagers shooting out will consume a lot a food.

-From here, your options are open: you can do a full turtle/boom or you can pump out a ton of military. With the ranged infantry nerf and coyote/ mace boost, Aztec Colonial is far from broken now. You can even do a sort of semi- FF strat if you like. Against more passive enemies (cough Ports cough), a Colonial flood can totally destroy them. Just remember to use your fire pit well and switch to War Dance whenever you get into a fight, as it really is an awesome dance. Really, it’s up to you.

As my last words, I’m going to say to you to feel free to change this strat any way you like, as long as it works for you. This strat has the bonus of being very flexible, and you can adopt in whatever way you need to. Good luck playing the Aztecs, and feel free to add comments/ criticism if you like.

[This message has been edited by Flair (edited 04-04-2008 @ 08:28 AM).]

Replies:
posted 04-02-08 06:00 PM EDT (US)     1 / 27  
Very good, imo.

Retired GameReplays.org Senior Replay Reviewer
World Class Drum Corps International Mellophonist 2009
Proud Winner of "Best Newbie Award" BFME2H, a long time ago
posted 04-02-08 08:36 PM EDT (US)     2 / 27  
I haven't played Aztecs much, but this sounds great. I'll try it when I have time and give feedback.

◓◓◓◓◓
posted 04-02-08 11:31 PM EDT (US)     3 / 27  
Very well written

seems like a great alternative to the common rush seen by the azetecs nowadays (pre patch of course)

Just have to be carefull, as many players realize that early early game aztec is weak and a bit vulnerable before they set up their economy, so just make sure of hwat your opponent is doing and you should be fine for this strat

Proud winner of the FFA Winter Round '07!
[Judgε][Epic Thread]
My Vods:[One] [Two][Three][Four]
"with all the bling on a mandsabar you could win the game by paying the enemy to resign." IL
posted 04-02-08 11:43 PM EDT (US)     4 / 27  
Sounds pretty cool dude.

A_S: "Cunni's pic wins thread otherwise failing due to being 5-7 years behind the times."
"Brilliant cunni simply brilliant"
C_MAG: "CunniJA's post is epic win."
posted 04-02-08 11:53 PM EDT (US)     5 / 27  
I love a flexible strat. Then, you can make it your own, and feel good about yourself.
I like feeling good about myself.

Retired GameReplays.org Senior Replay Reviewer
World Class Drum Corps International Mellophonist 2009
Proud Winner of "Best Newbie Award" BFME2H, a long time ago
posted 04-03-08 00:01 AM EDT (US)     6 / 27  
The firepit has to be my favorite building in the entire game - I mean, all those bonuses, + 200% training for EVERY unit, +14 xp\second, +30% attack on all units ... it's great!
posted 04-03-08 00:47 AM EDT (US)     7 / 27  
yea really seems fine in something like 10 treaty or something where you've got time to set this thing up.

im not exactly sure, but i heard ourk did something similar to this in RTSL, but not exactly positive, might've been another swizz. his was more of the semi-ff version, and he lost his tc as soon as he aged, but they still pulled off with a win due to the boom that followed the loss of his tc.

might want to find the rec if you want to see a good vid of someone doing this strat.

thumbs up for the strat btw.

Get your hands on a hot pan, a minute can seem like an hour. Get your hands on a hot woman, an hour can seem like a minute.
(\__/) This is bunny.
(O.o ) Copy him in your signature to
(> < ) help him conquer the world!
posted 04-03-08 01:50 PM EDT (US)     8 / 27  
Nice strat, but I think you need to change the acronym. Calling it the 'TAPE', when you expand the acronym is:

The The Aztec warPriest Explosion. Perhaps APE, or if that doesn't please you, AWE.
posted 04-03-08 04:45 PM EDT (US)     9 / 27  
I vote for AWE, good idea Jackel. The TAPE sounded kindof off anyway. Interesting strategy, similar to what I have been doing with Aztecs. Let me add that when basing your strategy around Warpriests and the Firepit, it is essential that the firepit be well guarded. When you delay your military production, your WP's are pretty vulnerable, with only the TC and any nearby WH's to protect them. Problem is, if you garisson them in the TC, then you've lost the FP advantage that you worked so hard to get in the first place. When an attack comes at you and you have delayed military production, you really need that FP working for Fertility Dance (for quick military production), Alarm Dance, Town Dance etc. I recommend building the FP to one corner of the TC, then make a simple square of walls around it with a corner cut out where the walls connect to the TC. This lets them garrison quicker if necissary, and it sometimes is (we just want to avoid it). A couple warhuts on either side of this wall square will deter/delay any attackers from taking down your FP/WP's. I also build my wall larger than it needs to be, so I can fit Maces in there (produced from the nearby WH's even) for extra defense. But anyway, I'm rambling and being too detailed, so I'll stop. Nice strategy. I was curious what your PR might be so I have an idea of what rank this will work up to. You certainly don't have to answer that question, though.

"I hope some animal never bores a hole in my head and lays its eggs in my brain, because later you might think you're having a good idea but it's just eggs hatching." - Jack Handey
posted 04-03-08 04:45 PM EDT (US)     10 / 27  
Heh, I actually noticed it as soon as I posted the thread. There was just no way to edit it. And I came up with those exact same acronyms in English class. If a moderator could change the title to "The AWE: A new Aztec Strategy", it would be much appreciated.

And to everyone else who has commented so far, I'd like to thank you. When I get more games played with this strat, I'll post how to counter other strats with this (I already have a great one for xbow harass)
posted 04-03-08 04:58 PM EDT (US)     11 / 27  
For anyone that turtles, I think it'd be a good idea to send the town dance. You get those super powerful walls when launches an attack on you.
posted 04-04-08 08:27 AM EDT (US)     12 / 27  
For anyone that turtles, I think it'd be a good idea to send the town dance. You get those super powerful walls when launches an attack on you.
Yes, I hadn't even thought of that. However, if you go for town dance, you need to go for Age III as well. Without arrow knights, if your opponent FFs (which is the case the majority of times I use this strat), falconets can totally rip up a turtle. However, with arrow knights, and maybe some ERK and Coyote Runners, + WH/NH fire, a turtle/boom is much more effective (3 TC boom with fertility dance is beyond hardcore.
posted 04-06-08 00:01 AM EDT (US)     13 / 27  
Yah, I've been playing 5 player FFA (noobs only, I suck, but the people are usually lance corps or corps) and I turtle with two layers of walls. I can get 99 vils by about 25 mins.
posted 04-06-08 02:58 AM EDT (US)     14 / 27  
Now someone just has to create a stratagy for an ally to this one... with the acroymn SHOCK...

Out Reach
The guy who writes the erotic fan fiction in Yeebaagoon's signature
posted 04-06-08 12:35 PM EDT (US)     15 / 27  
What is your eso flair?

ESO Oranges95
posted 04-06-08 01:56 PM EDT (US)     16 / 27  
AFAIK (you'll have to get this confirmed by someone who is 100% sure though) The patch boosted the dance so that war priests spawn faster, not that war priests are better at dancing.

The strat still seems good, and you may be right, in which case this could be very good.

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
posted 04-06-08 06:30 PM EDT (US)     17 / 27  
Fire Pit

* Warrior Priest Dance’s efficiency increased by 25%.
* Fertility Dance’s efficiency decreased by 20%.
* Water Dance’s efficiency decreased by 20%.
* Attack Dance’s efficiency decreased by 20%.

Guess it is better.

Maybe a really, really dumb question, but I cannot seem to spawn war priests. Where can I get the dance? It's not a card and it's not in the first few ages.

I feel really stupid for asking, but yeah...
posted 04-06-08 06:37 PM EDT (US)     18 / 27  
Maybe a really, really dumb question, but I cannot seem to spawn war priests. Where can I get the dance? It's not a card and it's not in the first few ages.

I feel really stupid for asking, but yeah...
Ha, no problem. I couldn't find the damn thing when I found out about it either. IIRC, it's the first or second button in the second row of dances, and it's called Holy Dance. It will say that it "spawns healers", which is really the War Priests.

@ the other comments: I' like to thank you guys a ton for all of the commentary, but I'm very busy right now, so I can't respond to everything right now. I'll come back to them ASAP.
posted 04-06-08 09:09 PM EDT (US)     19 / 27  
Just have to be carefully, as many players realize that early early game Aztec is weak and a bit vulnerable before they set up their economy, so just make sure of what your opponent is doing and you should be fine for this strat
With Patch 1.01 Rush maybe is even better then b4, since you have a better age up politic ( gives u a War Hut) u save 250 wood = faster troops, less vills in wood= more in food or even fire-pit, I think after players get used to it the Aztecs Rushes will be better, then if they expect a rush from you can send 3 priests card as 2nd ship, having less impact thks for xtras ress. An other good point is the WC aura, u can use it to get faster shipments and make up for Priests Card. Once u have 10 WP dancing G.

[This message has been edited by Spectruz (edited 04-06-2008 @ 09:12 PM).]

posted 04-07-08 12:38 PM EDT (US)     20 / 27  
Just in case you didn't know the infantry train time card decreases the warrior priest train time very significantly.

I used to always send this card before trying to spawn them because once you've used it you'll notice how much time is wasted dancing without it!
posted 04-07-08 02:41 PM EDT (US)     21 / 27  
Does that work for all aztec units? I dont have it in my deck. If it works for all units I really should have it.
posted 04-10-08 09:18 PM EDT (US)     22 / 27  
Just in case you didn't know the infantry train time card decreases the warrior priest train time very significantly.

I used to always send this card before trying to spawn them because once you've used it you'll notice how much time is wasted dancing without it!
Wait.. is that that War Hut training card? That would be a nice possiblity of sending then. Are you sure it works on War Priests? I'll test it out later.
posted 04-10-08 10:37 PM EDT (US)     23 / 27  
i've done this strat a couple of times online and its the first time i've had problems not being able to handle so much military so early:P(good thing)

i also use the the faster infantry training card from the home city after i use the two different warpriest cards

it speeds up train times and you then have the option of dancing something else or doing fertility dance and spawning units so fast you won't know what to do with them all:P

ESO name: ryan_vball
'i was just in a game vs i think india and he had sepots and something else'- adamh4325
Usually periods are a bit smaller and less yellow, but I'll let it slide this time
"Weed should be illegal, so should tobacco - and alcohol."-some random guy
'And sex, because you might fall off the bed and hurt your ankle.'*GoForGoldenJarls*
posted 04-12-08 11:02 AM EDT (US)     24 / 27  
I tried it a bit, and that fencing school upgrade certainly takes a lot of time away from getting 10 WPs. I'm not 100% sure if it's worth the shipment though.

It's a very nice build though. Great job.
posted 04-12-08 11:55 AM EDT (US)     25 / 27  
it speeds up train times and you then have the option of dancing something else or doing fertility dance and spawning units so fast you won't know what to do with them all:P
Actually, I haven't used this strategy in the while. I've been working on my Sioux/German and PR, and developing a new Ottoman strategy. However, I think I'm going to go online and try that out. My plan now is to use gift dance and send a few military shipments, then 700 gold/ 700 food ASAP, get Heroic, then do a mega boom. I'm not sure how it will turn out.
posted 04-12-08 10:00 PM EDT (US)     26 / 27  
Okay, it's official. Jaguar Prowls are 2nd (if not first) in my favorite unit count. Awesome melee against almost all units, strong, 1 pop (so you can have 99 vils and 10 WP, 50 jag prowls, and still have 41 spaces) AND stealthy to boot. I love putting them in the middle of a bunch of skrims and then setting them to melee while they were in stealth. -So- cool.

Or today. was playing a ffa. I wanted to try and kill this noob, who was ottos, and he kept using bombards. He loved them. The guy was on a trade route and put two towers on either side of it while walling up. So I took them out with arrow knights (which I hid afterwards, he had a massive army of jans and abuses) and snuck in the 50 prowls. Next thing you know, his factories are dead in 10 seconds.

The remaining 3 people teamed up on me afterwards.
posted 04-12-08 11:00 PM EDT (US)     27 / 27  
this is great for general booming as well

i tried this in a 10 min treaty game just to get the hang of it before going to supremacy and i could manage to have like 50-60 vills around 10 min plus some military

i ended up maxing out vills around 15 min which made me say OMFG how did i do that

*votes for this strat as best aztec one ever*

ESO name: ryan_vball
'i was just in a game vs i think india and he had sepots and something else'- adamh4325
Usually periods are a bit smaller and less yellow, but I'll let it slide this time
"Weed should be illegal, so should tobacco - and alcohol."-some random guy
'And sex, because you might fall off the bed and hurt your ankle.'*GoForGoldenJarls*
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » The TAPE: A New Aztec Strategy
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames