Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The RUMM Rush (Russian)
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 09-01-08 01:13 PM EDT (US)   
Okay, so I finally decided to write an actual strategy guide. I bet you just want to read the strategy, but first, this is both a Vanilla and a TAD strategy.

The RUssian Mostly Musketeer Rush
By Arcane Ranger

This Musketeer Rush utilizes the good resource based musketeer, combined with the spammibility of Russian units. It starts with just some harassing to keep them contained, followed by map control by blockhouses, and finally, musketeers to bring any opposition down.

Deck
Discovery - 300w
Colonial - 700f, 700w, 5 cossacks, Boyars, Fencing School, Reformist Tsar, Advanced Arsenal
Fortress - 1000w, 2 falconets, Royal Mint, Refrigiration
Industrial - Factory

Optional Cards
Discovery - Team Scout Cavalry
Colonial - 600f, 600w, 700g, Team Dueling School, 13 strelets
Fortress - 6 oprinicks, Strelet Combat, Cavalry Combat, 11 musketeers, Ransack, 1000f, 1000g (mercantilism)
Industrial - Nothing Much Here, Add Whatever You Want

Discovery Age
All 5 villagers to the crates, food first. Use your explorer to scout for treasures, food and wood are the most important ones. After collecting enough to que up one batch of villagers, send 1-2 villagers (depends on crate start) to the wood crate, and 3 villagers to herd/hunts. After your (1) wood crate is gathered, build a house with one villager. You should now have 1 villager buildings a house, 1 batch of villagers qued, 3 villagers on hunts, and 1 villager on the food crates. After building the house, that villager goes to herd another hunt, while the villager who's gathering the food crates goes to the nearest hunt. Set the tc gather point to food, the closest hunt depending on how well you've herded. Send 300w when you get your first shipment.

When the 3rd batch of villagers (14 villagers) is made, check how much food you have. Generally if you have above 700f by the time the villagers are made, leave some idle tc time and go colonial. If you have below around 650f, then que up another batch of villagers. Your 300w should've arrived around now, send 2 villagers to gather it. Age with the 400w politician.

Transition Discovery-Colonial

After the 2 villagers that are gathering crates are done, send them to a forward location to build a blockhouse, preferably near hunts or mines. Depending on how many villagers you aged with, your villager split should be around this:
9f/3w (If you started with 2 wood crates) - 14 villager age up
7-8f/4-5w (If you started with 1 wood crate) - 14 villager age up
10f/5w - 17 villager age up

Depending on your age up and starting crates, you may or may not need food/wood treasures. If you started with 1 wood
crate, you will probably need treasures. Now, once you hit 100w, build a house with a villager (food villager if you started with 100w, wood villager if you started with 200w). By the time you hit colonial, you should have 645+ food and 100+ wood (if you do not have this, wait a couple of seconds for it, although it will delay your rush).

Colonial Age
Now comes a bit of micro, que up a batch of villagers, que up a batch of strelets, send 5 cossacks, and re-organize your villagers. If you do not have 645+ food by this time don't create a batch of villagers. Your probably thinking, 'But constant villager production is important!', well, not in this rush. Your re-organized economy should be around this:

10f/1w/3g - 14 villagers
11f/2w/4g - 17 villagers

Also, send 1 villager to collect the 400w, you'll need this for housing and maybe a batch of strelets. Once this villager is done gathering 100w of the 400w, send him to make a house.

Remember to make the home city gather point your blockhouse before the 5 cossack shipment comes in. 10 strelets and 5 cossacks should be made at around the same time. Send this 15 man army to raid. Keep him contained. No large assaults yet, if possible, find his fb location and destroy it. You should start creating muskets now, along with vills. Send in 700f as your next card, this will help villager and military production. If somehow, your army has been destroyed along with your blockhouse, send 13 strelets instead.

When you have 10-20 musketeers, go in. Your strelets and cav should still be harassing them, the less damage to them, the better. Your musketeers will beat cav cost wise, while your strelets beat any xbows, pikes, musketeers, or skirms cost-wise. Your cossacks should be raiding if he's massing on HI, or defending if he masses on LI and/or cav. Your combined army should be enough to take down any opposition, along with their tc. By this time, you should have another shipment, send in 700w. This will help you create a stable (if you want), a blockhouse, houses (again, if you want), and strelets. Create the blockhouse in a strategical spot, hunts, mines, another fb. You should have around 20-29 villagers by now, and your villager split should be around this:
15f/4-5w/6-7g

If your rush has been defeated, he should at least be crippled. If you haven't already, make a market and research the techs there, you'll need most of them. Make 5 cossacks from your new stable, along with musketeers, and maybe 1-2 batches of strelets. Send the 5 cossacks in to raid, and when you feel confident, depending on your/opponent's military, go in again. This time, he should be defeated. If he is somehow not defeated by now, go fortress, along with sending the Reformist Tsar card. Age with 5 cossacks or 17 strelets depending on your military position.

Transition Colonial-Fortress
Not much to do here, make some military, but have 10+ vills on wood, this will help to get you the Reformist Tsar tech.

Fortress Age
Usually games don't get to here unless you are playing the rare turtler or a person equally skilled. Upon reaching fortress, send in the 2 falcs, 1000w, 1000f, or the 11 musketeers card, depending on your situation. Get the Reformist Tsar tech, and put your villager split back to normal. No you have veteran units, along with the choice of more of them. Your army should consist of at least 30-60 men depending on how well you and your opponent fared against each other. Add oprinicks to your army, use them to raid. Look for dead hunts, mills, plantations, falling trees, mines, ect. for your oprinicks to raid with. Occasionally, you might be able to get down a stray house or rax somewhere. Again, attack when you feel ready, use your oprinicks to siege, and your falcs will also come in handy. Ransack is a good card to boost your infantry's siege too. This should generally end the game, oprinicks and falcs will siege down the strongest buildings, while your massed infantry can kill most armies.

Recordings:
http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=2193 - This is the first one, me against a French turtle. Although I did not follow the BO strictly, you can get a good sense of the rush, along with my horrid micro >.<

TAD Version

Deck
Discovery – Distributivism
Colonial - 700f, 700w, 5 Cossacks, Boyars, Fencing School, Reformist Tsar, Advanced Arsenal
Fortress - 1000w, 2 falconets, Royal Mint, Refrigeration
Industrial - Factory

Recommended Cards
Discovery - Team Scout Cavalry, 300w
Colonial - 600f, 600w, 700g, Team Dueling School, 13 Strelets
Fortress - 6 Oprinicks, Strelet Combat, Cavalry Combat, 11 Musketeers, Ransack, 1000f, 1000g (mercantilism)
Industrial – Factory, Industrial Revolution, National Redoubt, Castramentation.

Discovery Age
-All 5 Settlers to crates, start clicking the settler button like crazy
-Treasure hunt with your explorer, prioritizing Food and Wood treasures
-Queue up batch of settlers
-3 Settlers on hunts, 1 vill building house, 1 vill on rest of crates
-Set Town Center gather point to food
-Send Distributivism
-Age with 14 Settlers, and the QuarterMaster (400 wood)

Transition Discovery-Colonial
-Two settlers to a forward location to build blockhouse, preferably near huntables
-Split settlers so that it’s 9f/5w (2 wood crates) or 7-8f/6-7w (1 wood crate)
-Continue gathering resources, and then build a house

Colonial Age
-Queue up batch of settlers
-Queue up batch of Strelets
-Send 5 Cossacks
-Make home city gather point your blockhouse
-Re-organized eco should be 10f/1w/3g (approximately)
-Send 10 Strelets+5 Cossacks to raid and only RAID Killing unguarded Light Infantry is also acceptable
-Keep raiding until you have around 10-20 Musketeers (or what you find suitable enough for the final push)
-Second card in colonial should be 700f or 13 Strelets if your 5 cossacks+10 strelets have been severely damaged or killed.
-You should be harassing and raiding until you have sufficient musketeers to effectively take out any military and also effectively siege buildings
-If your rush has been defeated, go to Fortress, you generally want to age with 5 Cossacks or 17 Strelets politician, or you can stay in colonial and continue battering him with more waves of Musketeers and some Strelets

And that's the RUMM Rush, feel free to comment, criticize, question, or compliment this strat. It took me 35 minutes to write this whole thing, so any comment (except flaming) is appreciated. There might be some mistakes here and there, I'll fix them later.

[This message has been edited by Arcane Ranger (edited 10-30-2008 @ 08:17 PM).]

Replies:
posted 09-01-08 01:29 PM EDT (US)     1 / 53  
Uh, can someone tell me explicitly how to post recordings? I'm too lazy to search... -.-
Go to submit file on the dload browser. Select "recorded game" and go to fill in sheet. Fill in the *'d spots, others optional. Choose the rec. I always zip mine, but I don't think it's a requirement anymore.

Very nice write-up and strat, but i think there are more other units than musks in this strat

Need a quick way to get laid? Chaplain gives you results.
"Screw me if I'm wrong, but haven't we met?"
"Damn girl, you have more curves than a race track."
"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that name tag was in Braille."
"If I were you, I would have sex with me."
3 reasons I am the sexxyest forumer: Raiding Cav... - China Merc... - Aztecian coloni... <-- howzat?
posted 09-01-08 01:52 PM EDT (US)     2 / 53  
Hey, there's a reason it's called RUMM and not RUM. Alright thanks, but where's the recs saved? It's in some download folder right, but which?
posted 09-01-08 03:14 PM EDT (US)     3 / 53  
My docs/my games/AOE3/savegame/record game whatever.

right click on properties or on "rename" to rename it. the newest rec is auto at 31, then in chronological order from 1 to whatever number.

3 reasons I am the sexxyest forumer: Raiding Cav... - China Merc... - Aztecian coloni... <-- howzat?
posted 09-01-08 04:16 PM EDT (US)     4 / 53  
nice job arcane... I think it looks pretty good... post up some recordings(cough cough don't be like james.... cough cough) . I'll try it out some time.

Problem is that i don't think 10 strelets will make them think it's a fake strelet rush if you were strelet rushing you would have a lot more. with a civ like france or dutch who have a envoy/scout it will be very easy to tell that you will be making musks by your food/gold/wood ratio.

advanced arsenal and factory should be under cards also IMO otherwise looking good.

[This message has been edited by CrazyLunatic (edited 09-01-2008 @ 06:20 PM).]

posted 09-01-08 04:59 PM EDT (US)     5 / 53  
Alright, thanks. Russia in vanilla only has one factory though I got 2 recordings that I'll post, although one is me trying to break through a lot of damn outposts with strelets and musketeers (3 outposts at 6 min, followed by more, a horror to russian players). Note: My micro isn't that good, it's harder to do than type.

They might not be fooled, but oh well. You got them harrased and you bring in the muskets to finish them off.
posted 09-01-08 05:13 PM EDT (US)     6 / 53  
lmao @ cough cough like James cough cough

i guessed so close to it do I get a cookie?
posted 09-01-08 06:21 PM EDT (US)     7 / 53  
what do I look like... a baker?

oh yeah my bad lol changed it to 1 factory. Nice name though lol.
posted 09-01-08 06:37 PM EDT (US)     8 / 53  
Sure here's a cookie bottle! CrazyLunatic, Dabottle meant me, not you.

Here's a separate question. I can download recs, but then when I open them, it gives me the choice of choosing an application to open it with. Naturally, I use windows media player, but the program says the rec is in a different format. Is my program not fully updated? Should I use a different application? I have Microsoft XP if that helps, not sure of the version of Windows Media Player though. Also, is it possible to download recs onto an apple? Lots of nooby qs, but I hope my rec compensates.

[This message has been edited by Arcane Ranger (edited 09-01-2008 @ 08:19 PM).]

posted 09-01-08 09:58 PM EDT (US)     9 / 53  
Ripped off my naming technique!

Proud winner of the FFA Winter Round '07!
[Judgε][Epic Thread]
My Vods:[One] [Two][Three][Four]
"with all the bling on a mandsabar you could win the game by paying the enemy to resign." IL
posted 09-01-08 10:05 PM EDT (US)     10 / 53  
Ripped off my naming technique!
And refuses to use the search function yet takes 10x longer to make a post complaining about being unable to watch recordings and constantly tells other people to use the search function!
OH THE HUMANITY.

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
posted 09-01-08 10:05 PM EDT (US)     11 / 53  
arcane

you have to put the rec back in the savegame directory under my docs/mygames/aoe3/savegame. Just drag it in. Then start aoe3 and look in your recorded games and it will be their. make sure they are not for TAD or TWC or it will not work.

posted 09-02-08 02:32 AM EDT (US)     12 / 53  
nice job arcane... I think it looks pretty good... post up some recordings(cough cough don't be like james.... cough cough)
Well, you want to know the reason why I didn't put up recs?

Because, after actually getting feedback, I realised that the Naked-FF isn't really that good.
Here's a separate question. I can download recs, but then when I open them, it gives me the choice of choosing an application to open it with. Naturally, I use windows media player, but the program says the rec is in a different format. Is my program not fully updated? Should I use a different application? I have Microsoft XP if that helps, not sure of the version of Windows Media Player though. Also, is it possible to download recs onto an apple? Lots of nooby qs, but I hope my rec compensates.
Sorry Arcane, but, when I read that, I got up out of my computer chair, and rolled around on the floor laughing my head off! I nearly wet myself!

You sound like me about 6 months ago.

All that you need to do, is when you download the Record Game, is to save it into MyDocuments/MyGames/AgeOfEmpires3/SaveGame. If it's on VANILLA, there should be a .age3rec after it, TAD = .age3Yrec TWC = .age3Xrec

Then, once it's saved, maybe name it to a name you remember.

Then, start up your game, then on the main menu go Help and Options then click Recorded Games. It should be in there.

Hope it helps.

Also, it seems like a nice strategy. Explains it very well, and a nice write up.

Arcanes Russian Strategy > James's Ottoman FF

James's Ottoman FF Design > Arcanes Russian Design

Deck
Discovery - 300w
Colonial - 700f, 700w, 13 strelets, 5 cossacks, Boyars, Fencing School, Reformist Tsar, Advanced Arsenal
Fortress - 1000w, 1000f, 2 falconets
Industrial - Factory

Optional Cards
Discovery - Team Scout Cavalry
Colonial - 600f, 600w, 700g, Team Dueling School
Fortress - 6 oprinicks, Strelet Combat, Cavalry Combat, 11 musketeers, Ransack
Industrial - 1600f, 1600w, 1600g
In Fortress, don't you want Refrigeration + Royal Mint?

Also, do you really need those 3 Resource Cards in Age 4? Seems a bit of a waste, as by then, you'll have plenty of settlers and plenty of resources.

Also, the Age 3 Rescoure cards are a bit of a waste as well.
posted 09-02-08 06:57 AM EDT (US)     13 / 53  
1000f is useful because you'll want most of your settlers on wood for the Reformist Tsar tech. 1600f/w/g is in the optional place, because you PROBABLY won't need it, but hey, you never know. Oh, and Kivlov, I was just lazy ok? I still have jet lag, so I was veeeeeery sleepy. C'mon, I was hoping for some tips from you to make this guide better, not criticizing my contradiction and laziness. One time I don't use the search button and you just have to point it out. Oh well, can't change your jerkiness.

Okay, I'm sorry about that cookie, change the title if you must.

[This message has been edited by Arcane Ranger (edited 09-02-2008 @ 07:03 AM).]

posted 09-02-08 07:06 AM EDT (US)     14 / 53  
yh thats a good point the russian late game eco realy dont need to be helped out by res cards.

do you have that card that allows castles to be built by musks? i forgot the name lol.

One other thing i think it is quite pointless faking the strlet rush, you realy dont want your opponant to start making cav if they wouldnt already have done so. You also waste a house or a market taht could of been built with that first bunch of strlets.

A carded hussar (and a normal one for that matter) fairs very well vs a russian musk and russian musks sure dont eat them for breakfast like your saying! especialy if they have got a mass of xbows or decent musk fireing on them at the same time. Id say a better strat would be to do a musk rush when your sure they havent made cav inundate them with strlets.

i find that that a reasonable number of cav usually makes using strlets efectively, impossible.

Ultimitsu : james, can you please understand the counter system first before making comments on the "what counters what" subject?

Lordkivlov : Do you just like to see your own posts? Because 90% of them are pretty much useless.

"Generall every civilisation has it easy time with British." - James246
ESO: retribution1423
posted 09-02-08 09:03 AM EDT (US)     15 / 53  
Musketeers beat hussars cost-wise adam. I edited the post so there's no fake strelet rush now, use them to harass. Remember that if military comes, run away, you don't want your strelets/cossacks dying. Personally, I build the market during the creation of the muskets, because by that time, I usually have enough wood. The latest I build a market is when the 700w is sent, or in rare cases, I forget and build it in fortress. lol.

[This message has been edited by Arcane Ranger (edited 09-02-2008 @ 09:05 AM).]

posted 09-02-08 12:04 PM EDT (US)     16 / 53  
You'll get tips when you stop being lazy! And I stop being equally lazy and edit this post with tips!

posted 09-02-08 06:17 PM EDT (US)     17 / 53  
I might try Russia and the cookie was chocolate chip thank you
posted 09-02-08 06:35 PM EDT (US)     18 / 53  
Np.
And I stop being equally lazy and edit this post with tips!

Lolz, at least I'm not like that Going to create a nilla French X-bow rush for beginners too soon.
posted 09-02-08 06:40 PM EDT (US)     19 / 53  
they already got a vanilla XBow rush atctually its for TWC but it dosen';t have any cards you don't have in Vanilla.

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=15,31611,40,60
posted 09-02-08 07:25 PM EDT (US)     20 / 53  
hmm.... that strat is pretty nice... also the other person (sorry forgot your name) posted multiple french strats fairly recently.
posted 09-02-08 09:25 PM EDT (US)     21 / 53  
tell that to my friend pleasno whos a cap and kiks my arse near every time witha musk/hussar combo.

Ultimitsu : james, can you please understand the counter system first before making comments on the "what counters what" subject?

Lordkivlov : Do you just like to see your own posts? Because 90% of them are pretty much useless.

"Generall every civilisation has it easy time with British." - James246
ESO: retribution1423
posted 09-02-08 09:34 PM EDT (US)     22 / 53  
Alright, I'll try to think up of another strat that hasn't been posted/new.
posted 09-03-08 11:02 AM EDT (US)     23 / 53  
@ Ranger
A Portuguese villager rush
posted 09-03-08 11:47 AM EDT (US)     24 / 53  
Lol. I'm gonna try to think up a russian grenadier rush, Lord Kivlov didn't/isn't gonna post his.
posted 09-03-08 06:50 PM EDT (US)     25 / 53  
Damn straight I'm not giving away my precious Grenadier strat

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » The RUMM Rush (Russian)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames