Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Ottoman Abus/Jan rush
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 10-28-08 06:04 PM EDT (US)   
Yeah I know what yall are thinking. ZOMG, another stupid topic with a nooby build order that everybody knows. This time, its a little different though. This is definitely my favorite non-water strategy as Ottoman, and I have beaten plenty good players with it.

About me:
I've played Ottoman on and off since Aoe3. Some of you might remember my Ottoman Deporter or the Ottoman Winter guide. Since then, I've improved quite a bit. Now, I'm ranked as third highest Ottoman player, and my all round rate is top 50. My eso name is VooDoo_BoSs and I've had over 400 games with Otto.

When to use this:
I favour this strategy because you get those crucial abus out earlier than the standard 700 wood BO, allowing you to combat those high RI players. This strategy works against almost any civ, but especially well against all of the Euro civs, Japan, India (you need to be a bit defensive in this case though), and Iroquois. Only time I'd recommend not using this, is when your opponent is going defensive and a semi-ff/TP-boom would be a stronger strategy.

The Deck
LAND DECK
[JPEG, (184.15 KB)]
Water deck
[JPEG, (182.79 KB)]

The Build order

Discovery
Just build a house and put all villagers on hunts. Avoid gathering the extra 200/300 wood and the coin crates if you have it, but gather the food crate if you have that.
Obviously, scout and find treasures. Food, wood, coin, all have equal importance in this strategy.

Tip: I always start herding my two nearest hunts in age 1 as Ottoman, even if they are more than a screen away. It really pays off vs a German opponent (for example) where mid colonial you need to keep a spam going while watching out for uhlan raids.
ship 3 villagers as your first shipment.
Age up with the 400 wood politician.

Transition

Shift 2-3 settlers to coin depending on the amount of coin you got from starting crates and/or treasures. After a couple games, you should get the feel for the amount of coin you have.

Gather the rest of your remaining crates, and use all but 100 wood to make houses (for example, if you had 400 wood starting off, you should have 3 houses and 100 spare wood).

When you are about two thirds aged up, send 2 forward villagers. Don't be stupid and put them right in front of the opponents base. Do it tactically by putting them next to a spot of hunts and use your forward villagers to herd those away, or better yet, a mine, but make sure you are always scouting your opponents base, because 6 minute men can always spoil your plans.

Colonial
Gather the 400 wood ASAP with the nearest 2-3 settlers. Use your forward villagers to build a barracks, then an artillery foundry as soon as your done.
Ship 700 coin as your first colonial shipment as well.
Once your barracks is up, start training Janissaries, make sure you keep scouting your opponents base. Go for your opponents villagers, but don't leave yourself open to TC or infantry fire until you have abus for support.
By the time your artillery foundry is up, you should have 700 coin in, so start training abus guns ASAP. I like to keep a couple villagers on wood so I don't get housed. Ship 700 wood next, or 3 hussars if you want to be super aggressive.
Now you should have 10 Janissaries, with 5 abus on the way. If you micro right, you should be able to take on any army that a european civ can throw at you. Your first priority is to make sure your opponent is not gathering. After that you can focus on taking down houses, then barracks, then the TC, but by this point, the game is usually decided.

Tips: VS aggressive civs, like India, Russia, China, or Aztec (sometimes Sioux, but this is usually a tricky match up), don't build forward. Build in your base, and use MM + TC fire + regular army to beat back your opponent. I'd also recommend 3 hussars vs these RI heavy civs.

VARIATIONS
Once you get the hang of Ottomans, you don't follow BO's, and you always adapt to what your opponent is doing. I was always following strict BO's for the first 500 of my Ottoman games. Here are some of my favorite variations. The first, is the water variation. It's my favorite because it ensures a solid military stream even if your rush fails, and performs very well on the 2200+ level.

Discovery: Same layout, but send one villager to build a dock and ship schooners as your first card instead of 3 villagers. After you build your dock, you should have 1 villager on wood.

Colonial: Ship 700 wood first instead. You should have a few extra villagers with the fishing boats you've gained from your dock + schooners, so you should have at least a few abus out by the time your 700 coin (to be shipped after 700 wood) comes in.

I'll edit the semi-FF variation in this, but right now I need to finish homework xD. You should see this in my rec. A lot of my recs didn't follow the super strict BO, and I'd often variate by going fortress or fish booming/TP booming, but you should get the idea of it.

RECS: I couldn't upload them here for some reason, so I uploaded them at my clan site. Everybody still should be able to download it, but you need winrar to watch it.
Download Ottoman rec pack
Of course, I'll be happy to answer any questions in case I haven't been specific enough.

[This message has been edited by VooDoo o_O (edited 10-28-2008 @ 06:24 PM).]

Replies:
posted 10-28-08 06:17 PM EDT (US)     1 / 72  
Seems very good to me, i can't wait to try it. I have a Jan/Abus semi-rush (I will be posting it soon) that makes you play defensively for a couple minutes and then gets out the abus while streaming jans in melee mode for protection. I have tried it a couple times and it seems to be ok against the russians, too.
btw, What is your ESO ID? I want to do a few games with you. Mine is Masked8407. Let me know if it is ok.

[This message has been edited by Masked8407 (edited 10-28-2008 @ 06:17 PM).]

posted 10-28-08 06:20 PM EDT (US)     2 / 72  
Hey Voodo now you'll start posting here? (you are the same Voodo that is in AS right?)
posted 10-28-08 06:26 PM EDT (US)     3 / 72  
Yea its me eicho. BTW, add me on msn won't you, (VooDoo_Liosif@hotmail.com). And my ESO name is VooDoo_BoSs, I'd be happy to play you a few times, but keep in mind with school I'm only on for a couple hours during the week.
posted 10-28-08 06:30 PM EDT (US)     4 / 72  
@ VooDoo, in the last part, are you talking to me or eicho of both of us?
thanks for answering my question anyway, after i had posted, i took another look at your strat and noticed that your ESO name was at the top already
posted 10-28-08 07:03 PM EDT (US)     5 / 72  
ok im not nearly as good as you but wouldnt the benifit from building a church and getting the villager tec be worth the villager seconds to gather the wood in age1?

also isnt it a waste puting all of this into housing?

Ultimitsu : james, can you please understand the counter system first before making comments on the "what counters what" subject?

Lordkivlov : Do you just like to see your own posts? Because 90% of them are pretty much useless.

"Generall every civilisation has it easy time with British." - James246
ESO: retribution1423
posted 10-28-08 07:13 PM EDT (US)     6 / 72  
No. A common mistake I see that all new Ottoman players make, is wasting 200 wood on the mosque. The one thing that always restricts my rush is the fact I get housed early colonial. Would you rather have 40 pop or 60 pop? Let's look at a situation.

You have a dutch player turtled up, but you need just a few more units to make the kill. You have 6 abus and 10 Janissaries, and 600 of coin and food, but you can't push because your housed! (40/40 pop). Ofcourse you have a mosque with villagers that come out 5 seconds faster, but since your housed, your not getting any villagers. By the time you move 10 villagers to wood and get a house up, he's attacking you with 20 skirms, 8 pikes, and 5 hussars with 3 hussars raiding you.
Situation b) - You have a dutch player turtled up, but you need just a few more units to make the kill. You have 6 abus and 10 Janissaries, but you have another 5 abus and 4 Janissaries about to pop out. Once they pop out, you take out 4 skirms at once while your Janissaries melee into the cav.
posted 10-28-08 07:15 PM EDT (US)     7 / 72  
K im adding you, but why would you give away your MSN in a public forum? thats like shouting "I LIKE SPAM!"
I didn't asked you for a game but it would be nice to play, even if i lose (so hard getting a game this days!)
posted 10-28-08 07:18 PM EDT (US)     8 / 72  
If I am not wrong, those 2-3 houses let you actually make an army. If you don't, you can only make 5-7 jans with constant vil creation, while you wait for that 700 wood. 9 jans if you don't. I believe the aim of this strat is having those abus without waiting for two shipments.

I believe this strategy will work (haven't got time to try it yet school here also takes a lot of time). And I'm quite sure that when I do, I'll probably win.

A few questions VooDoo:
- Does it work for 2vs2 and 3vs3?
- (a bit off-topic) if I am rushing in 1vs1, I always need to change to abus, right? So, after having like 20 jans and 10 abus (agressive all the time of course) what can I do to age up if I have that need?

And again, I might be wrong, I'm MS but a bit knowledge/strat nooby...
VooDoo, when I see you on, would you mind if I ask you for a game or tips or something like that?

EDIT: sorry Voodoo I didn't see your reply, you probably posted while I was typing.

[This message has been edited by Maikh07 (edited 10-28-2008 @ 07:19 PM).]

posted 10-28-08 08:07 PM EDT (US)     9 / 72  
Masked, why would you put your jans in melee to protect your abus? If you try to melee the opponent, the abus are cav fodder. Alternatively, if you keep them near the abus, the enemy can just pick them off one by one.

Nice strategy Voodoo, though it seems to be more defensive than usual. I guess that against hard rushing civilizations, the rax at your base will do well, but couldn't they overwhelm your jans before your abus come out? It'll take a while for them to come out.
posted 10-28-08 08:14 PM EDT (US)     10 / 72  
No. You get your abus out fairly early (usually before 6:30), and till then, just run your Janissaries, back, go a bit more heavy on coin so you can ship 3 hussars first instead of 700 coin, so when abus pop out, you can pop out both 3 hussars and minutemen and own his army
posted 10-28-08 08:18 PM EDT (US)     11 / 72  
I would use the melee mode against any kind of LI or RI because they would not be very good at melee combat. It works against a russian strelet mass. If you have like 30 Jans in melee and then 10 Abus, you can destroy the strelets without loosing too many Jans. If someone just ambushes the abus from the side with cav, then the Jans would be able to slaughter the cav due to the bonus on the melee attack. Face it arcane, it works well.
even if you try to go from behind, i could move the abus closer to the Jans and then attack from there.
@ Eicho, in case you were wondering, it was i who asked for the game

[This message has been edited by Masked8407 (edited 10-28-2008 @ 08:23 PM).]

posted 10-28-08 08:41 PM EDT (US)     12 / 72  
It works against a russian strelet mass.

not really against russia better keep the jans in volley so that they can protect the abus from the 5 cossack shipment. Also streltes aren't that much weaker in melee than ranged they just lose like 2 attack.
posted 10-28-08 08:48 PM EDT (US)     13 / 72  
@ crazylunatic: they lose 10 damage per hit against jans because of their 5 damage difference and their bonus against HI. The Jans melee does more damage to LI and cav due to bonuses and they are twice as fast.
btw, what is the point of quoting someone if you don't have Quotes? (lol,it is ok though, nothing taken)

@ arcane: we could try my theory if you would like. what is your ESO login? mine is Masked8407. could you get on at like 7 PM in Eastern Daylight time(USA) on Nov. 1st?
posted 10-28-08 09:09 PM EDT (US)     14 / 72  
Good strategy. I remeber when u came out with tht spy surprise strategy. Tht was rlly amazing with the assaisn cards to. gj on all ur strategy guides if u have more keep postin them. But i think u might be maxed out on all the effective strategys with the ottos u've developed.
posted 10-28-08 09:11 PM EDT (US)     15 / 72  
well i dont usually get pop caped, with starting wood i build mosque, vill tech and house. Then with the 400 wood i get from age i build 3 houses and a market.My second card is 5 jans with another 5 from the rax. i have two vills usually on wood this allows me to build more houses when needed and i can have a decent stream of jans.

then again i dont usually build albus, i semi f most of the time with ottos.

Also another thing i find its pritty easy to straight ff vs russia and pwn them and with germany most of the time. (my friends a major and im a 2nd-1st lt and i beat him doing this)

ill definatly give this a try though if like you say the mosque is not worth it!

Ultimitsu : james, can you please understand the counter system first before making comments on the "what counters what" subject?

Lordkivlov : Do you just like to see your own posts? Because 90% of them are pretty much useless.

posted 10-28-08 09:21 PM EDT (US)     16 / 72  
So tell me, how do you get a mosque, house, vill tech (that uses up all your 300 starting wood), then another 3 houses and a market (uses up all of 400 wood). Where is the 200 wood for the barrack? :P
posted 10-28-08 09:23 PM EDT (US)     17 / 72  
"Once you get the hang of Ottomans, you don't follow BO's, and you always adapt to what your opponent is doing."

SOOOO true. I used to follow only synthoras's guide to the ottomans for most of my games, then i started getting used to coming up with strategies in w/e situation, i even have my own just for bayou (well really, just a mix of abus, natives and jans, nothing special =P). But this is very interesting. First rush i see that doesnt use the mosque, actually, that doesnt RECOMMEND using the mosque. I heard u were a very good player voodoo, wanted to see ur recs, but dont work on my mac. Good Job though.
posted 10-28-08 09:32 PM EDT (US)     18 / 72  
"The Jans melee does more damage to LI and cav due to bonuses and they are twice as fast.
btw, what is the point of quoting someone if you don't have Quotes? (lol,it is ok though, nothing taken)"

oops forgot about the multiplier.. forget what i said

well it still worked because you obviously recognized it as a quote anyway :P
posted 10-28-08 09:33 PM EDT (US)     19 / 72  
Well thought out! I like the new look at how to use your wood in the starting minutes and early colonial.

I'm going to add this to the 'Special Names' and 'Newest Guides' Part of the two stickies in GD.

Proud winner of the FFA Winter Round '07!
[Judgε][Epic Thread]
My Vods:[One] [Two][Three][Four]
"with all the bling on a mandsabar you could win the game by paying the enemy to resign." IL
posted 10-28-08 09:33 PM EDT (US)     20 / 72  
Alright Masked, since I don't want this to turn out to be another long and controversial argument, I'll just say this, it comes down to micro. I'm considering most outcomes.

You hit my strelets, good job, you did it, you can get some down, but I take your abus down, due to the fact that your jans are too far away. You manage to take down part of my army, I manage to take down part of yours, and your abus.

You DON'T hit my strelets, I snipe you down from afar (you sit there guarding your abus). You manage to get down some men, but I manage to get your abus down, and then your jans must rather try and melee my men with no cover protection, or switch it to volley mode, and beaten cost-efficiently.

You DO hit my strelets, by somehow getting past the musketeers, and then you somehow guard your abus with some magical jans sitting there, then I can:

1. Attack them with cossacks anyway, depending on the number
2. Retreat to my base, where you will be under blockhouse and tc fire. I can always outboom you
3. My cossacks are destroyed, meaning that there are rather too many jans guarding your abus, resulting in a lack of action, or I have a lack of cossacks, which is a fault on my part

I don't think you're considering boyars too. Also you need to take down at least 2 strelets before the cost efficiency pays off (strelet = 37.5f/10w and jannisary = 100f/25g). And you also need to somehow get to my strelets, while I slowly lose ground as I hit and run (strelets have 4 speed right?). Meanwhile, I'm under abus fire, taking damage along the way, but so are your jans and abus.

Again, it comes down to micro. My ESO is in the sig.I can't get on the saturday, I have to go to a friend's bartmizfah, what about 7:00 EST on sunday, or the weekdays? I doubt you could beat me with a jan rush though, the only efficient ottoman strategy against a russian rush is a ff, or somehow making hussar+abus.

EDIT: Lol, me and cookie posted at the exact same time, I thought that was impossible...?

[This message has been edited by Arcane Ranger (edited 10-28-2008 @ 09:38 PM).]

posted 10-28-08 10:12 PM EDT (US)     21 / 72  
I'm not exactly sure what you argue about, but remember that abus still have more range than Strelets, so I can keep my Jans just a fraction behind my Abus, but still take down 5-6 of your strelets per volley due to the two-hit kill, while it takes you, what, 20 strelets to kill an abus? You might take down 3 abus before I destroyed your entire strelet army with 15 Janissaries unharmed.
At the end of the day, its all down to micro, but if I micro right, you can be iamgrunt, it still won't make a difference
posted 10-28-08 10:26 PM EDT (US)     22 / 72  
i was thinking about something, this could be turned into one of the ultimate jan rushes.

Think about it:

- Instead of 300 wood for artillery, either TP, OP, or second barracks.

- Send 700 food instead of gold.

- That extra 100 wood can be used for: Market, Mosque, House

- You wont get housed easily due to the 1 pop capacity of jans.

- Send in 700 wood,to: Build TPs, Build Mosque and upgrade villager tech, if you are not winning, start building OPs to gain map control.

P.S.: Probably a lot more advantages but i have to go do my Homework =D
posted 10-29-08 00:57 AM EDT (US)     23 / 72  
jan +abus > pure jan
but i can see your point
posted 10-29-08 01:54 AM EDT (US)     24 / 72  
"jan +abus > pure jan
but i can see your point"

Hm, true in power, although only needing 2 resources (u need 2 for abus + jans, but greater amount of each), this causes speedier military, utilizing of more resources and if needed, then you can switch to the abus. I am just stating the old jans rush into this new one.
posted 10-29-08 11:06 AM EDT (US)     25 / 72  
i usually put 4-5 vills on wood during age up, for the rax.

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Ottoman Abus/Jan rush
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames