Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The PHAT
posted 11-02-08 12:54 PM EDT (US)   
The PHAT
Paris Hussar ATtack

This is a French Hussar rush for Vanilla.

Strengths:
-Good for team games if team mate doing HI or LI,
-Powerful versus light infantry spamming civs(Russia)
-gives a powerful eco
-great for raiding the enemy
-lets you easily transition to fortress for cuirassiers and skirmishers.

Weaknesses:
-Weak for 1 vs 1 because fairly easy to counter
-Terrible vs high infantry spammers

Necessary Cards:
3 CdB
4 CdB
700 resource cards
Team Hand Calvary attack
Riding School (usually better in team games, if 1 vs 1, this card isn't needed)
3 hussars
3 curassiers
8 skirmishers
2 falconets
2 factories

Optional cards:
2 outposts (good for map control and protecting hunts)
8 xbows (if you are being pressured)
1 fort (for map control)
Team ranged infantry attack (good because this strat is used for team games)
Calvary Combat (age 3 card 10% hp and attack boost)
Fencing school (in case you want to mix in a bunch of skirms)
Pioneers (if you want to own with CdB)

The PHAT

Age 1
-Send 2 vills to huntables rest unpack crates(get food and then 1 wood crate save coin for later)
-Que up CdB ASAP and set gather point to huntable (all CdB should be hunting also use 1 CdB for herding other hunts to your tc area)
-Build 1 house
-Send 3 CdB card
-You should be aging up with 14 CdB and use the 400 wood guy
-You should be actively treasure hunting with your explorer aim for gold/xp treasures (gold needed market upgrades)

Note: Use your native scout to search for your hunts and also find the enemy base and see where their vills are and later what units they are making.

Transition
-Send 5/6 CdB to wood
-Send 1 CdB to gold
-Keep all others on food
-Build a market and research hunting dogs+ coin upgrade
-After market is researching send some of your wood vills to coin. Vill split ~(8/2/4) (f/g/w)
-Que up a CdB gather point on gold

Colonial

-Gather the 400 wood and build stable+ houses
-Here is where you have some options for the first card:
-4 CdB (put on gold, good eco, but a bit slow) This is my favorite
-3 hussars (strong early push, useful vs russia often)
-As soon as stable is built que up some hussars
-Keep constant CdB production send several to coin and then food once you have a nice coin eco.
-Keep raiding with your hussars to weaken the enemies economies
-Try and get the next market upgrades if possible
-Second shipment can vary: if in heavy colonial fighting you could send team cavalry improvement card, if want to go fortress send 700 coin/food, if you are being raided constantly send 2 outposts, 700 wood is also great for tps+stagecoach.

From here on you can pretty much do as you wish just remember to keep up constant CdB production to make your eco super powerful.

I hope you enjoyed the PHAT

Constructive Critisism is welcome

[This message has been edited by CrazyLunatic (edited 04-23-2009 @ 10:41 PM).]

Replies:
posted 11-02-08 01:02 PM EDT (US)     1 / 21  
Nice strategy CrazyLunatic! Really useful in team games, although, like you said, not the best in regular 1v1 games.

It would also be good to use that 700w to get a rax up if your opponent is making too much HI. Oh wait, I already got dibs on the hussar+musketeer rush Wait, did someone do that already?

4 CdB... not sure about that card, it's an incredible economic boost, but you're on the offense, and your hussars train slowly. I think 700g/3 hussars would be better in this case.
posted 11-02-08 01:10 PM EDT (US)     2 / 21  
yeah 700 wood can be used for rax for muskets as well

"Oh wait, I already got dibs on the hussar+musketeer rush Wait, did someone do that already?"

i won't steal that from you :P

"4 CdB... not sure about that card, it's an incredible economic boost, but you're on the offense, and your hussars train slowly. I think 700g/3 hussars would be better in this case."

I like 4 CdB since that's about 5 regular vills and it gives you the eco to keep up a nice flow of hussars. But as I said it depends on situation if you want a fast rush then send the gold or 3 hussars.
posted 11-02-08 02:16 PM EDT (US)     3 / 21  
You shouldn't build forward because hussars are fast enough that you can build at your base where it is safer - although try to hide the stables to make it harder to scout. In 1v1 you could turn this into a semi-FF rather than a rush to hurt his eco while aging for more powerful units and shipments.

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
posted 11-02-08 02:56 PM EDT (US)     4 / 21  
kk thanks i'll edit
posted 11-02-08 03:52 PM EDT (US)     5 / 21  
A bit basic? Isn't this what everyone does - the only "difference" is that you build a stable... Most french players age with 14 cdb, with 400 wood, and send 4 coureur / 3 hussar first.

SC2: Valckrie.Incarnate {Add me!}
Fear is only a four-letter word. Why be afraid?

Guides:
BMS | British Guide | BHM | RSFF | Rec Games
posted 11-02-08 04:17 PM EDT (US)     6 / 21  
" A bit basic? Isn't this what everyone does - the only "difference" is that you build a stable... Most french players age with 14 cdb, with 400 wood, and send 4 coureur / 3 hussar first."

obviously most people know how to do a hussar rush I just typed up a nice easy to do BO that will help some people who do not know it.
posted 11-02-08 04:38 PM EDT (US)     7 / 21  
You could improve by adding villager allocation after sending 4 cdb/3huss. That would help most players more than the starting BO you posted

SC2: Valckrie.Incarnate {Add me!}
Fear is only a four-letter word. Why be afraid?

Guides:
BMS | British Guide | BHM | RSFF | Rec Games
posted 11-02-08 04:45 PM EDT (US)     8 / 21  
The problem with going pure Hussar is that your opponent will make some pikes and your hussars will be killed very quickly.

ESO:Jamie12345 (Master Sergent-2nd Lt)

When people ask me to do something online they say plz because its shorter than please. So I say no because its shorter than yes.
posted 11-02-08 04:49 PM EDT (US)     9 / 21  
well, then you can just use micro to run around his pikes, hit his villagers, and if he attacks u, mm plus tc fire and 8 xbow should handle those nicely
posted 11-02-08 04:52 PM EDT (US)     10 / 21  
Weaknesses: Weak for 1 vs 1 because fairly easy to counter, hussars are expensive so might not be able to make a large number of them, terrible vs high infantry spammers.
posted 11-02-08 06:03 PM EDT (US)     11 / 21  
well if you find out he's doing HI spammer, i dont think you would do this strat..

heres a suggestion: If your not sure what hes doing, but have spotted a barracks, then send 3 hussars first. See what he will make to counter you. Also, have your stable in a noticeable area so that he thinks you are doing pure hussar, switch some villies to wood, make a barracks and counter his HI (because now he thinks you are doing hussars). This costs time, but with 3 hussars cutting down his villagers, you make it even =D.

This is just a suggestion if you are not sure what he will make!
posted 11-02-08 06:25 PM EDT (US)     12 / 21  
Cholesterol, you have good suggestions. However, they need many factors to work. You're assuming he's a good scouter and that he himself is going to make HI. However, he could have HI+LI defeating the efficiency of building a rax which slows down production drastically (unless you build it in the beginning). Good players are also hard to raid, they will have their hunts near their tc.
posted 11-02-08 06:54 PM EDT (US)     13 / 21  
"heres a suggestion: If your not sure what hes doing, but have spotted a barracks, then send 3 hussars first. See what he will make to counter you. Also, have your stable in a noticeable area so that he thinks you are doing pure hussar, switch some villies to wood, make a barracks and counter his HI (because now he thinks you are doing hussars). This costs time, but with 3 hussars cutting down his villagers, you make it even =D."

well even if you do read him wrong as i pointed out this strat is mostly effective in team games so your team mates should be doing HI or LI. Since you are france, your native scout should be able to find out what they are doing. The good thing with this strat is that you can easily switch to musket+hussar if he starts doing pikes or musket.

" The problem with going pure Hussar is that your opponent will make some pikes and your hussars will be killed very quickly."

your team mate should be doing muskets or something that will eat up pikes

" You could improve by adding villager allocation after sending 4 cdb/3huss. That would help most players more than the starting BO you posted"

Yes i might try to do that but the reason i didn't is that it is completely dependent on what cards you send and what your opponent is making. Preferably build a couple vills on gold until you have roughly 6/7 on gold and then put on food. It is also dependent on your treasures, etc.

[This message has been edited by CrazyLunatic (edited 11-02-2008 @ 06:59 PM).]

posted 11-02-08 07:11 PM EDT (US)     14 / 21  
This can still be used in 1v1's, I always open with hussars vs russia. This will set you up to do one of two things, either build a barracks and get out muskets, or go to fortress.
posted 11-03-08 00:58 AM EDT (US)     15 / 21  
Nice write up

Well set out and explained. Good job showing a basic strat.
posted 11-03-08 02:05 AM EDT (US)     16 / 21  
Why have so many on wood during discovery to colonial ageup when you are aging with 400 wood politician? I usually do something similar to this, I go 9 on food 5 on gold and then take 2 off gold to gather the 400 wood crates and build a stable

Rushing With France
the french ar general an bad civ. bcause they know what the enemy can do!
as an french u must luck that u have more crossbows then pikes. pikes ar only for buildings or cav. the deck should have in 3 hussars. thats the way to winning! a nother good card is 700 wood and 700 food. have fun by capture the enemy -Loessli
posted 11-03-08 03:40 AM EDT (US)     17 / 21  
Cos it's a teamgame unless you are going to be doing a proper rush (which is so hard to coordinate in 3v3 random) it's better to get some eco with market upgrades. Also with only 40 pop, again, if both teams are just massing, you will be housed very quickly and then its a bit of a nuisance waiting for 700 wood.

Anyway you may already throw some cdb on wood after aging, solving the housing problem, but I think the main thing is about getting the market upgrades. Also don't forget if there is a lull in fighting, consider the second market upgrades.
posted 11-03-08 07:00 PM EDT (US)     18 / 21  
" Why have so many on wood during discovery to colonial ageup when you are aging with 400 wood politician?"

to get market upgrades.. also remember that hussar = 2 pop so you'll need a bunch of houses since 1 batch = 1 house
depending on treasures i can sometimes get the second hunting upgrade with the 400 wood +stable +house

also as previous poster said that it is hard to get a really fast coordinated rush as a team unless you are familiar with playing with each other.
posted 11-03-08 08:00 PM EDT (US)     19 / 21  
It's better to forgo the market upgrades and get the hussars out much faster... also you can queue cdbs and have enough pop to queue hussars without building a house while you gather the remaining wood crates

Rushing With France
the french ar general an bad civ. bcause they know what the enemy can do!
as an french u must luck that u have more crossbows then pikes. pikes ar only for buildings or cav. the deck should have in 3 hussars. thats the way to winning! a nother good card is 700 wood and 700 food. have fun by capture the enemy -Loessli
posted 11-03-08 08:03 PM EDT (US)     20 / 21  
It really isn't all that much faster for getting Hussars out to just keep hunting and mining rather than getting hunting dogs. Placer mines is hit or miss, but I would definitely get hunting dogs since it has the biggest economic effect since the units you're building (CdB and Hussars) are both food heavy.

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
posted 11-03-08 10:49 PM EDT (US)     21 / 21  
"It's better to forgo the market upgrades and get the hussars out much faster"

disagree a main bonus of france is it's econ with 1.25 vills(CdB) for the price of 120 food. get hunting dogs so your eco will be stronger than that of most opponents and later on you will be able to make a beautiful number of hussars. If you want your hussars out quickly for raiding consider sending the 3 hussar card instead of 4 CdB, but make sure you send 4 CdB as next card to boost your econ up again.

@kivlov. I find placer mines to be good also because each hussar is 80 gold so relatively expensive as well. Also it isn't that difficult to get since you can have dogs+placermine researching in transition.

[This message has been edited by CrazyLunatic (edited 11-03-2008 @ 10:50 PM).]

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » The PHAT
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames