Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Coureurs and YOU
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 11-10-08 07:47 PM EDT (US)   
Every good French player knows that Coureurs are a good anti-rush tool. They have better stats than other villagers, making them more capable fighters. While their high ranged resistance will keep them out for a while, you have to garrison them inside your town center eventually, unless you want to risk losing a few, which isn't acceptable.
The best way to use these guys in such a situation is to garrison them inside your town center, release them and shoot enemy soldiers, then place them back inside, over and over. By doing this, you are slowly picking off enemies while keeping your coureurs safe from attack.
This guide will show how many coureurs it takes to one-shot Colonial Age units (with resistance and bonuses in mind, assuming they are using their ranged attack, and all shots hit; you may want to use slightly more coureurs than necessary in case some shots miss), with and without the blunderbuss tech, so that you can get the most out of their support.

Coureurs and YOU

A Guide To Using Them Properly In An Urgent Situation

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Without Blunderbuss

Heavy Infantry

Musketeer: 19
Pikeman: 15
Rodelero: 17
Janissary: 30
Doppelsoldner: 29
Tomahawk: 19
War Club: 15
Puma Spearman: 19
Skull Knight: 38
Ashigaru Musketeer: 22
Samurai: 29
Qiang Pikeman: 14
Sepoy: 24
Rajput: 19

*Ranged Infantry

Crossbowman: 16
Longbowman: 17
Strelet: 17
Aenna: 20
Cetan Bow: 17
Macehualtin: 15
Yumi Archer: 18
Chu Ko Nu: 15
Gurkha: 21

Heavy Cavalry

Hussar: 40
Uhlan: 24
Cossack: 24
Kanya Horseman: 31
Axe Rider: 32
Dog Soldier: 62
Naginata Rider: 38
Daimyo: 82
Steppe Rider: 19
Sowar: 24
Mongol Scout: 32

*Light Infantry

Coyote Runner: 19
Disciple: 10

Light Cavalry

Bow Rider: 32
Yabusame: 50
Keshik: 20
Zamburak: 22

Artillery/Siege

Grenadier: 50
Abus Gun: 21
Flamethrower: 75
Flying Crow: 57
Flail Elephant: 82

With Blunderbuss

Heavy Infantry

Musketeer: 14
Pikeman: 11
Rodelero: 13
Janissary: 22
Doppelsoldner: 21
Tomahawk: 14
War Club: 11
Puma Spearman: 13
Skull Knight: 28
Ashigaru Musketeer: 16
Samurai: 21
Qiang Pikeman: 10
Sepoy: 18
Rajput: 14

*Ranged Infantry

Crossbowman: 12
Longbowman: 13
Strelet: 12
Aenna: 15
Cetan Bow: 12
Macehualtin: 11
Yumi Archer: 13
Chu Ko Nu: 11
Gurkha: 15

Heavy Cavalry

Hussar: 30
Uhlan: 18
Cossack: 21
Kanya Horseman: 26
Axe Rider: 23
Dog Soldier: 50
Naginata Rider: 28
Daimyo: 60
Steppe Rider: 14
Sowar: 21

*Light Infantry

Coyote Runner: 14
Disciple: 8

Light Cavalry

Bow Rider: 23
Yabusame: 37
Keshik: 15
Zamburak: 16

Artillery/Siege

Grenadier: 37
Abus Gun: 15
Flamethrower: 55
Flying Crow: 41
Flail Elephant: 60

I don't expect you to memorize all of these numbers. However, it's a good idea to keep some of the more common ones in mind, such as musketeers, pikemen, and crossbowmen. Coureurs are stronger for a reason, don't let their increased fighting capability go to waste!

-Emperor_Kyle

ESO2: Kyle_The_Brave
Clan: Proud Officer of Trỉρℓε ΣņτễηţϠ, [TΣ]

"Why make your own inspirational quotes when you can just read the side of O_Man's Ssips juices?" - A wise prophet
"The best way to die is to spontaneously combust during a drum solo battle with Lars Ulrich" - The Blair
Replies:
posted 11-10-08 07:56 PM EDT (US)     1 / 32  
A great guide to coureurs! Very descriptive and informative, this must've taken you a fair amount of research.

It would do good to just note that you should use coureurs against infantry instead of cavalry (except LI).
posted 11-10-08 07:59 PM EDT (US)     2 / 32  
Yeah, but I figured that the high numbers would be enough for people to know that.

"Why make your own inspirational quotes when you can just read the side of O_Man's Ssips juices?" - A wise prophet
"The best way to die is to spontaneously combust during a drum solo battle with Lars Ulrich" - The Blair
posted 11-10-08 08:56 PM EDT (US)     3 / 32  
Yeah, I know. But still
posted 11-10-08 09:38 PM EDT (US)     4 / 32  
wow, them jans pack quite a punch, considering no ranged resistance. You should show CdB when they are fully upped, all cards, techs, and that japanese team card(forgot name). CdB are hardcore.

Need a quick way to get laid? Chaplain gives you results.
"Screw me if I'm wrong, but haven't we met?"
"Damn girl, you have more curves than a race track."
"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that name tag was in Braille."
"If I were you, I would have sex with me."
3 reasons I am the sexxyest forumer: Raiding Cav... - China Merc... - Aztecian coloni... <-- howzat?

[This message has been edited by Marneus Calgar (edited 11-10-2008 @ 09:39 PM).]

posted 11-10-08 10:09 PM EDT (US)     5 / 32  
interesting and good that you mentioned the tc hopping idea. But if you have to resort to garissoning enough CdB to 1 shot kill pretty much any unit, you are lost(unless trying to hold the base until some nice fortress shipments come out on a age 2 army). Just was doing this the other day vs russian. TC hopping + 2 outposts+ tc fire+ a couple soldiers saved me while i went fort for curassiers . The key to doing this would be if the enemy is in your base your muskets/xbow/whatever could be helped a lot by a couple CdB+ tc fire.
posted 11-11-08 01:17 AM EDT (US)     6 / 32  
Nice work! You have way too much time on your hands!

Your doing this for French, but, in your Sig, it doesn't even say you play France???
posted 11-11-08 03:45 AM EDT (US)     7 / 32  
Do many players use blunderbuss? It only seems good for situations like this but the amounts still seem to high. Herding could be pretty hard with high vil attack

Eagles may soar, but weasels do not get sucked into jet engines
Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly, so they lit a fire in the craft. Unsurprisingly it sank, Proving once again that you can't have your kayak and heat it too
posted 11-11-08 06:58 AM EDT (US)     8 / 32  
Marneus: If there's anything else that upgrades coureur attack, I couldn't think so it. I thought the rest were just HP.
Although it would be nice to show how many hits it would take for those units to kill coureurs, like reversing the tables, I don't know why you'd need to know that when you're supposed to be hiding.

Crazy: Well, you're not really done. You could use them to defend against a rush while you're aging to Fortress if you're doing an FF, or to help your army pick off a few soldiers if the fight is near your town.

James: I know, but that's what happens when the weather is crap.
And France is my 5th civ, and I'm willing to do anything in my top 5. I noticed nobody had written a guide like this, so I thought I should. But that's all I'll do about France, because I would like to stick to my "civs".

Evil: It's a good idea for French players because of their coureurs. I couldn't really see it being used in most other situations though.

[This message has been edited by Emperor_Kyle (edited 11-11-2008 @ 07:02 AM).]

posted 11-11-08 07:26 AM EDT (US)     9 / 32  
I use it, usually for coureurs only though. For other civs, great coat is a must once raids start coming.

I believe wilderness warfare increases coureur attack? But I might be wrong about that.
posted 11-11-08 08:03 AM EDT (US)     10 / 32  
yeh nice guide. i once attempted a discovery rush with pure coureurs vs a hard comp and got trashed. so best for use in defence certainly. Must have taken u a good few hrs to get that guide done.

KEEP
CALM
AND
CARRY
ON
≤≤≤≤≤See my YouTube channel for some crazy pointless crap!≥≥≥≥≥
posted 11-11-08 09:37 AM EDT (US)     11 / 32  
yeah, thats what I meant. I just would like to see a fully loaded CdB. like 450 hp.

Need a quick way to get laid? Chaplain gives you results.
"Screw me if I'm wrong, but haven't we met?"
"Damn girl, you have more curves than a race track."
"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that name tag was in Braille."
"If I were you, I would have sex with me."
3 reasons I am the sexxyest forumer: Raiding Cav... - China Merc... - Aztecian coloni... <-- howzat?
posted 11-11-08 12:01 PM EDT (US)     12 / 32  
" Do many players use blunderbuss? It only seems good for situations like this but the amounts still seem to high. Herding could be pretty hard with high vil attack"

Great coat is a must, i only use blunderbuss if it seems like i'll need to use some CdB in fighting, only use blunderbuss for france.

"
Crazy: Well, you're not really done. You could use them to defend against a rush while you're aging to Fortress if you're doing an FF, or to help your army pick off a few soldiers if the fight is near your town. "

that's exactly what I said. Only CdB hop if you must hold the base for a powerful fortress age shipment. Also useful to cause confusion by popping them out with minutemen and the fortress age up units.
posted 11-11-08 01:16 PM EDT (US)     13 / 32  
a bit off topic, but where do you get these highquality portraits of units from?

SC2: Valckrie.Incarnate {Add me!}
Fear is only a four-letter word. Why be afraid?

Guides:
BMS | British Guide | BHM | RSFF | Rec Games
posted 11-11-08 02:06 PM EDT (US)     14 / 32  
brian manhattan uses google to find totally unrelated images :P...

actually a CdB is on google images if you put in CdB aoe 3 under search. I think he probably took a screen shot and clipped it or something for this picture here.
posted 11-11-08 02:36 PM EDT (US)     15 / 32  
If you screned it and cropped, it wouldn't be this high quality would it?

EDIT: I got the pics now.

SC2: Valckrie.Incarnate {Add me!}
Fear is only a four-letter word. Why be afraid?

Guides:
BMS | British Guide | BHM | RSFF | Rec Games

[This message has been edited by Valckrie1 (edited 11-11-2008 @ 02:42 PM).]

posted 11-11-08 03:19 PM EDT (US)     16 / 32  
Ah, I probably should give credit for the pictures. They're from the Hanson family site.

And I agree that great coat is important. Blunderbuss is far less useful, but it's good for coureurs because they can actually fight somewhat.

posted 11-11-08 03:22 PM EDT (US)     17 / 32  
yeah I love using the couer to kill enemy units and help my troops they are very effective.
posted 11-11-08 06:48 PM EDT (US)     18 / 32  
whats the number on petards?

and im surprised to see the number so high on fail elephants(82), i thought they had the siege trooper tag and therfore would get killed by villies/cours

׺°˜`°º×RealityFatality׺°˜`°º×
"So, what do you guys think? What's theverdict? OP, or do I need to stop smoking crack?"
"I don't have hard drives. I just keep 30 chinese teenagers in my basement and force them to memorize numbers"

[This message has been edited by Kiverly Spears (edited 18-12-2008 @ 9:21 PM).]
posted 11-11-08 07:03 PM EDT (US)     19 / 32  
only use blunderbuss for france.
I use it as Brits when I'm using my pioneer'd settlers to take down artillery.
posted 11-11-08 07:59 PM EDT (US)     20 / 32  
Lol, it's funny how some villagers can take down a mighty cannon.
posted 11-11-08 09:45 PM EDT (US)     21 / 32  
^^^ this sounds really nooby, but i didn't ever notice that vills had a multiplier on artillery lol.
posted 11-11-08 09:48 PM EDT (US)     22 / 32  
I don't think they do, do they? It's just that artillery don't have that much of a multiplier vs villagers which makes them need to 2 shot (with pioneers 3) shot a villager. Also, villagers walk in a spread out formation which reduces splash.
posted 11-12-08 02:40 AM EDT (US)     23 / 32  
Personally coureurs are my favouriteitstisitsits unit evah so I really appreciate this guide.

I think you should probably mention that if you manage to kill the opponents units but he still has cannons then your coureurs can be absolutely lethal so long as you remember to move them into melee. I once fully caught my friends culvs and field guns off guard by moving coueurs up from behind, they (rather surprisingly) slaughtered the cannons.

Another good card is pioneers btw... It is awesome if you use it to uber OP your coureurs, individually they can kill a stretlet very easily.
posted 11-12-08 07:04 AM EDT (US)     24 / 32  
Yes, they do have a multiplier against artillery. 2x, I think.

That's why the Flying Crow doesn't take as many hits as it normally would. And that's with ranged damage, where it has 75% resistance...

posted 11-12-08 10:43 AM EDT (US)     25 / 32  
now include one with pioneers

good job man that must have taken ages.

Ultimitsu : james, can you please understand the counter system first before making comments on the "what counters what" subject?

Lordkivlov : Do you just like to see your own posts? Because 90% of them are pretty much useless.

"Generall every civilisation has it easy time with British." - James246
ESO: retribution1423
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Coureurs and YOU
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames