Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Aztecian guide to Colonial Rushing
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 11-12-08 09:15 PM EDT (US)   
Aztec Colonial Rush Variants

We know Aztec are unusually strong in colonial due to various factors. Flexibility of their age 2 military shipments is one of the big ones. They've got a cavalry(coyote) unit ship, a couple of *LI ships and a pike ship. Additionally, the 3 priest can give you a boost to your firepit without sacrificing villagers. The firepit is another bonus. All natives get these, but unlike other natives, Aztec put up the pit at the start 99% of the time. The three starting dances are:

Fertility-Speed up unit production. Aztecs ca take advantage of this in age one to make up for one less villager at the start.

Gift-Increases XP trickle rate. Good for getting those shipments faster for a more powerful rush.

War Chief-Revives Warchief. Another Native bonus, not having to pay for Warchief revival.

Yet another bonus that is native wide, Raxes have an attack for 50 extra wood. Same cost as a Euro tower, but trains units too. If you are a Russian player, the aggressive style will probably suit you.

The Warchief himself is another bonus early game. Converting guardians can aid in getting bigger treasures and scouting. Additionally, since the azzy chief is a native explorer, he has more HP than European explorers. He is at a bit of a disadvantage to other native explorers, who have ranged attacks, special attacks, and occasionally ride horses.

Decks:

Eventually, you will end up having almost a deck for each civ, because some cards work well for some and are a waste of space for others. Here is a list of cards that should be in every deck.

Discovery:

• 3 Villagers

Colonial:
  • 3 Warrior Priests
  • 5 Villagers
  • 700 wood

Now hers a list of cards that will be used for various colonial strats:

Colonial:

• 10 Machualtin
  • 9 Machualtin
  • 5 Coyote Runner
  • 6 Puma Spearmen
  • 600 Coin
  • Coyote Combat
  • Silent Strike

Standard Discovery

For rushing, you will use this basic discovery:

-2 Villagers to nearest hunts, 3 to their own food crates.
    -Queue a villager at about 8 seconds, earlier is best.
    -After first food crate is down switch one to wood crates to get that firepit up fast. Should be started before 25 seconds.
    -Send one villager to build a pit when 100 wood, then a hose after the second hundred. TC on food.
    -All on food, put priest on Gift dance to speed up first shipment of 3 villagers. After 1st shipment is sent, switch to Fertility Dance.
    -Plan for an age up around 3:10 with 15 villagers or squeeze in a 16th for a 3:30 click time. 16 is not advised for fast rushing if you failed to pick up any good treasures.
    -Age up with 2 Skull Knights.

Now here is where build orders alter against different civs. Lets start off with some off the easy matchups.

China and Dutch:
    Some of the most broken matchups in the game. Qiang pikes are now rubbish against coyotes, and the only way to get keshiks is with pikes(and keshiks will still die cost effectively). With no musk unit, both these civs have a tough time against Aztecs so...

Standard Discovery

Standard Transition:

-For standard transitioning to colonial, put 10 on wood to get 250 for forward hut. Wood treasures are priority, as you will be housed unless you get wood fast. Put 11-12 if you did not pick up any wood treasures.
    -Send 2 wood villagers forward forward, when 250 wood build a war hut.
    -Keep 10 on wood, you need a house right after age 2 or you will be housed.
    - Set Town Center waypoint food.

Colonial
    -Ship 5 coyotes.
    -Build a house

-After house, train more coyotes. Dance should be on XP dance.
    -When 6-7 on food put back to wood. You will always need way more on wood at the start for houses and coyotes.
    -Second shipment is 6 puma spearmen for dutch if they are FFing. For china or a dutch colonial skirm or pike go for coyote combat.
    -Keep pumping coyotes, but if you are at pop limit, make room for a villager with one less coyote being trained. Adjust your TC way point to food or wood depending on which is in surplus.
    -Now if dutch went pikes, do not engage him until coyote combat comes. Let him whack your war hut for a bit. Then, after the card arrives, put 5 wood villagers on the pit to dance the attack dance. This will allow the coyotes to kill the pikes fast enough before the bonus vs coyotes kicks in.
    -Ship macehualtin next if dutch continues spamming pikes. If he was going skirms, get the 3 priests and start going for 10 priests. Continue coyote production, and rearrange villagers according to your food/wood needs.
    -Against china, simply mass coyotes and after coyote combat, ship your military shipments to finish him off.

Now for a slightly harder matchups. This is against a LI/HI combo so scouting is key here. If you see a stable up first with any of these, refer to next build. Some of the civs below will start with pure LI then switch to HI after they see your coyotes. I included India as they will likely start off HI, then go sowar and ghurka mixed in.

British, French, Spanish, Indian and Russian.

Standard Discovery

Standard Transition

Colonial

-With all these civs, you will be shipping macehualtin first, then going coyote/mace.

-First ship 10 macehualtin
    -You will be housed at about 31 pop, so get that next house up
    -Now queue coyotes
    -Second card is 9 macehaultin.
    -Queue more coyotes.
    -Due to housing delay, it is OK to have idle TC time in order to have more military in queue.
    -Now the goal here is to have 2 skull knights, 19 macehualtin, and 5-10 coyotes to attack with, and 6 pumas and 5 macehaultin on the way by 6:15. If they send 3 hussars, 5 cossacks, or 4 sowar to raid, garrison villagers but keep coyotes/pumas at his base. If his cavalry is distracted, your maces will be free to massacre his infantry or stray villagers.
    -Use coyotes as a meat shield against cavalry. They will hold their own, especially with mace support. Against russia, the troops are the priority, not the blockhouse, too kill off his infantry in smaller groups before the more muskets come out. Take them one batch at a time.
    -Now it's an issue of keeping the right ratio of coyotes to macehaultins. People tend to use all their troops to focus on the coyotes, leaving your mace free to pick off units one by one. This is good for you because he is neglecting to use his LI on your mace, and instead is using them on a unit of which they only do 75% of their damage to. While your coyotes may die faster, in the long run he is doing less damage to you.
    -Now, alternatively for Spanish, they could go rodelero/musket. If this happens just go straight mace with the leftover coyotes shielding from the rods melee.
    -Finish off by shipping 6 pumas then 600 gold for pumas to get the buildings, or if he switches to cavalry.

So a cav start or a cav semi FF?

We are talking a British or French hussar/musket combo, a French or Spanish hussar semi FF, a Port turtle/FF, or a Souix SEAR, SAFF, FF or plain rush. (whew)

Standard Discovery

New Transition

-2 villagers forward

-Gather 250 wood with 11 villagers, then put 5 on food, 4 on gold and the rest on wood.
    -Start hut
    -Build house when 100 wood.

Colonial

-Set shipment waypoint to hut. Ship 6 puma spearmen. You should have 27 pop when next ship arrives. Ship 10 macehaultin. Queue puma with free pop space.

-You should have 37 out of 50 pop with houses, so add to puma queue until 5.
    -Goal is 2 skull knights, 11 puma spearmen, and 10 macehaultin, with a shipment of your choice and queued units on the way, by 6:30.
    -This is for ff's, semi ff's and cavalry opponents. The pikes are plenty for cav and 10 mace is good enough to pick off HI or bow riders so pike can take down TC and buildings.
    -If port calls militia, run pikes out first while shooting with mace. Return full force, but be sure to pick of remaining MM with mace before pumas come back in, so they don't kill any. Chances are, you took down the first TC, but he still aged up with the second, so ship coyotes and train more mace to deal with cassadore/musket/organ gun shipments.
    -If souix ships the card that turns axe raiders into rifle riders. Pull back start going mace/coyote. Ship 5 villagers and get a good eco rolling. Otherwise, mace are fine vs bow riders, but dont be stupid when he tries to hit and run, fight by your WH.

Now, I use the same build for Japan and Ottoman, because they both start going HI, then bring in abus or nagis, both of which rape macehualtins. So the key is to keep 5 coyotes in the back until you see abus or nagi. Then produce coyotes along with mace. The 5 coyotes will deal with the initial 3-5 nagis and 5-10 abus, until you can get coyotes rolling.

Japanese and Ottoman

Standard Discovery

Standard Transition

Colonial

-Against Japan, make usual forward base. Against otto, place blockhouse more defensively, as he will probably age up first, and if you come in to attack, he will camp his abus behind market/rax/foundry and it gets really annoying.
    -Ship 10 macehualtin. When house is built, queue more macehaultin.
    -Second shipment 5 coyote.
    -At a little earlier than 6:00, harass him If he has anything more than jans or ashi pull back until coyote arrive. Goal is to kill as many jan/ashi so coyotes can kill the rest with ease. Third shipment is 9 mace, and keep queuing coyotes. Do NOT let him have abus attack you, you have to be sneaky to outsmart their long range.
    -Against otto, go and take out his forward rax, but DO NOT lose your army. If you can't kill the fb, start semi booming and beat his slow eco in fortress. If he managed to put his foundry forward, go for foundry first. Then ship 700 wood for a forward war hut and more houses.

-If jap ships export and makes shinobi, micro on his ashi, and get as many as you can, then bring around the coyotes.
    -Japanese die to a fast rush. As long as you kill him before his shrines start kicking in, you will have the advantage. Have your 2 skull knights hunt his shrines while his army is distracted.

For Iroquois, there is already a strong strategy. The ZAP rush. Look it up, it's what I use, and it works very well vs all the iro unit combos.

Finally we have the aztec mirror match. This is pretty straight forward, because Aztecs themselves have no good counter for coyotes after they've been upgraded, since pumas have a smaller multiplier vs coyotes than euro pikes do.

Aztec

Standard Discovery

Standard Transition

-Go standard, but put war hut in more defensive position.

Colonial

-Ship 5 coyotes and queue coyotes.
    -Switch villagers around to put on 8 on food. Waypoint on food.
    -Second card is Coyote Combat.
    -Queue more coyotes.
    -At 6:15 you should have 2 skull knights, 11-15 upgraded coyotes with a shipment on the way.
    -Now what I like to do is ship in 3 priests and start getting priests. When you attack, switch the dance to attack dance, which boosts combat. Now your coyotes beat his coyotes and will even beat puma spearmen. Also the priests can do the alarm dance, which spawns warriors. You may need this due to having a smaller army a the start, to fend off the first wave. Let him attack your hut, wait with your coyotes, do alarm dance, switch back to attack dance, and counterattack.
    -From there just keep pumping coyotes, and shipping military.

Well that, that covers almost all the different colonial variants you can pull as Aztec. Pretty impressive, which is why they are one of the top civs in the market now. You will notice the lack of BB jags. This is because that really weakens your eco and you will be pretty broken if the rush fails.

Also, I find germans the hardest matchup on ESO right now, mostly because even if they don't have pikes, uhlans > coyotes. I have left out any specific build order for them.

I'm also toying with a strat that requires being on Patagonia, and involves the 3 TP travois card.

Next guide? Aztecian Post-Colonial Options
    Thats it for now mates.

Need a quick way to get laid? Chaplain gives you results.
    "Screw me if I'm wrong, but haven't we met?"
    "Damn girl, you have more curves than a race track."
    "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that name tag was in Braille."
    "If I were you, I would have sex with me."
    3 reasons I am the sexxyest forumer: Raiding Cav... - China Merc... - Aztecian coloni... <-- howzat?

[This message has been edited by Marneus Calgar (edited 11-13-2008 @ 08:13 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 11-12-08 09:18 PM EDT (US)     1 / 36  
    Now, I have talked extensively to kiv, revised this 3 times over a period of a bout a month, and have plenty of recs just waiting to be posted.

Now I could be like james and start demanding a special name.....but of course I am doing this because "I like writing strats" just like arcane.

writing strats simply for the name? Me? Naaahhhh, coouldn't care less.....

of course i do vet musk NAO plox

3 reasons I am the sexxyest forumer: Raiding Cav... - China Merc... - Aztecian coloni... <-- howzat?
    posted 11-12-08 09:21 PM EDT (US)     2 / 36  
    Now, I have talked extensively to kiv, revised this 3 times over a period of a bout a month, and have plenty of recs just waiting to be posted.
    The Aztecian guide to Colonial Rushing....
    posted 11-12-08 09:32 PM EDT (US)     3 / 36  
    I loled at the name.

Okay, let's get this over with, I really couldn't care less about the name. I've had 3 strategies for at least 2 weeks now and there hasn't been any change in name has there?

Good strategies, very descriptive. However, you never mention using any big buttons, shouldn't you use at least some? The 3 JPK is really useful imo. Also, would it be wise to ship coyote as 2nd, and maces for 3rd? He might scout your coyotes and ship/make a couple pikes to counter them. In that case, you'll be in a sticky situation, even if the coyotes are carded and danced.

Besides that, awesome strategy, I'll definitely be using the aztecs more often.

[This message has been edited by Arcane Ranger (edited 11-12-2008 @ 09:32 PM).]

posted 11-12-08 09:38 PM EDT (US)     4 / 36  
    Also, what do you think of 'The Aztecian guide to Colonial Rushing' for a name for it? Sounds a bitter bette rthan Rush Variants don't it?
    U no it

@ arcane
    You will notice the lack of BB jags. This is because that really weakens your eco and you will be pretty broken if the rush fails.
    from myself

[This message has been edited by Marneus Calgar (edited 11-12-2008 @ 09:38 PM).]

posted 11-12-08 09:48 PM EDT (US)     5 / 36  
    You will notice the lack of BB jags. This is because that really weakens your eco and you will be pretty broken if the rush fails.
    @ arcane: This.

Very nice, sort of like the ottoman guides that came out a few months back, but thx to u, i know have some idea of what i am doing when i play with these guys =D.
    posted 11-12-08 09:49 PM EDT (US)     6 / 36  
    Ah, okay, didn't see that part.

However, BB jags, the first one, costs 500f, not too much considering that 500f can get you 3 JPK or around 4 coyotes.
    posted 11-12-08 09:50 PM EDT (US)     7 / 36  
    its 450 food and I'd rather spend on a constant vill production.

[This message has been edited by Marneus Calgar (edited 11-12-2008 @ 09:55 PM).]

posted 11-12-08 10:08 PM EDT (US)     8 / 36  

Now I could be like james and start demanding a special name.....but of course I am doing this because "I like writing strats" just like arcane.

writing strats simply for the name? Me? Naaahhhh, coouldn't care less.....
    Gee I never heard that before...

5 Coyote runners is a pretty weak shipment (550 res) you would be better off sending 700 Food instead.

A better colonial deck would have 11 Rods/9 Zaps and 3 Trading post travois. 3 trading post=lame

ESO NAME: UGMO
    I AM USING: TAD
    I AM PLAYING: The Aztecs, British and Russians
    .oO James246: Well, you wouldn't be able to sigg any dumb things I say, because I don't say them. :P Oo.
    posted 11-12-08 10:28 PM EDT (US)     9 / 36  
    Read the whole post UGMO. Also, Cholestoral, a bit late there, Marneus already explained it.
    Of course i do vet musk NAO plox

[This message has been edited by Arcane Ranger (edited 11-12-2008 @ 10:28 PM).]

posted 11-12-08 10:32 PM EDT (US)     10 / 36  
    Its not a sin to want the incentive we gave..

As long as the quality doesn't suffer its pretty much ok.

Fix some of the spelling errors and word problems like 'you're and your', 'of and off' et cetera.

Proud winner of the FFA Winter Round '07!
    [Judgε][Epic Thread]
    My Vods:[One] [Two][Three][Four]
    "with all the bling on a mandsabar you could win the game by paying the enemy to resign." IL
    posted 11-12-08 10:33 PM EDT (US)     11 / 36  
    Meh, I don't really care, seriously. Give it to me if you want, it's your choice.
    posted 11-12-08 10:38 PM EDT (US)     12 / 36  
    Awesome guide, I like that you included what to do against different civs.

ESO2: Kyle_The_Brave
    Clan: Proud Officer of Trỉρℓε ΣņτễηţϠ, [TΣ]

"Why make your own inspirational quotes when you can just read the side of O_Man's Ssips juices?" - A wise prophet
    "The best way to die is to spontaneously combust during a drum solo battle with Lars Ulrich" - The Blair
    posted 11-12-08 11:54 PM EDT (US)     13 / 36  

Quoted from Marneus:
    Of course i do vet musk NAO plox
    I dont understand a single word, and i have no idea how this applies to me.
    posted 11-13-08 07:02 AM EDT (US)     14 / 36  
    nice write up.
    posted 11-13-08 07:08 AM EDT (US)     15 / 36  
    vet: Veteran
    Musk: Musketeer
    NAO = Now
    Plox = Please

"Why make your own inspirational quotes when you can just read the side of O_Man's Ssips juices?" - A wise prophet
    "The best way to die is to spontaneously combust during a drum solo battle with Lars Ulrich" - The Blair
    posted 11-13-08 07:37 AM EDT (US)     16 / 36  
    No, what I meant was Cholestoral, Marneus explained it to me before you. :/
    posted 11-13-08 11:17 AM EDT (US)     17 / 36  
    You don't even mention how to fight Germany.

"Apparently, arguing for the right to do something no-one wants to do is the lifeblood of HG." - TaylorFlame

"Whatever happened, BFME2H did it better. No Exceptions." - EnemyofJupitor
    posted 11-13-08 12:56 PM EDT (US)     18 / 36  
    British, French, Spanish, Indian and Russian.

Standard Discovery

andard Transition
    Typo, the "St" is missing from "Standard".

SC2: Valckrie.Incarnate {Add me!}
    Fear is only a four-letter word. Why be afraid?

Guides:
    BMS | British Guide | BHM | RSFF | Rec Games
    posted 11-13-08 12:59 PM EDT (US)     19 / 36  
    @ catabre

You guys never read do you?

posted 11-13-08 01:08 PM EDT (US)     20 / 36  
    Also, I find germans the hardest matchup on ESO right now, mostly because even if they don't have pikes, uhlans > coyotes. I have left out any specific build order for them.
    I think you should make it bold, so it stands out. Not everyone will read everything, so can't see whether you mentioned Germany or not.

SC2: Valckrie.Incarnate {Add me!}
    Fear is only a four-letter word. Why be afraid?

Guides:
    BMS | British Guide | BHM | RSFF | Rec Games
    posted 11-13-08 03:19 PM EDT (US)     21 / 36  
    two bigbuttons have been moved to age 3, which sort of leaves ZAP! rush to die...
    posted 11-13-08 07:50 PM EDT (US)     22 / 36  
    I usually don't use the other BB after the first one with ZAP. I tend to be less aggressive and prefer spending the food on villies.

posted 11-14-08 07:03 PM EDT (US)     23 / 36  
    Thanks for this. Helped me learn how to play Aztecs now. I love it. I've always wanted to learn, but now this helps.

My favorite thing about the Aztecs is their ability to fall back and quickly boom and go fort for veteran upgrades and better cards. I just kept outbooming my opponant and raided him with upgraded coyotes constantly.

I like it a lot.
    posted 11-14-08 07:51 PM EDT (US)     24 / 36  
    By the way, you mention silent strike as a useful card, but I rarely see it used. However, the idea of stealthy coyotes does seem nice, like an actually useful version of tashunkes. So is that just personal preference, or is it really worth sending in contrast to other things?

Off-topic, regarding the civ match-ups, I felt good yesterday because I beat a 2nd lieutenant hilariously easily while playing as China, and he was Aztecs.

[This message has been edited by Emperor_Kyle (edited 11-14-2008 @ 07:52 PM).]

posted 11-14-08 08:29 PM EDT (US)     25 / 36  
    It would seem extremely useful to have stealthed coyotes, and it's really annoying, but it is really better to send another unit shipment or crates or something.

For example, if they are stealthed, it really does not matter against 10 pikes, the coyotes still have the same attack. It would be better to ship maces.

However, if you do not ahave a units ship, and are in the 3rd age, and it looks like a stalemate, stealthed coyotes popping up inside your opponents eco is immensely satisfying.

And that 2nd lut must have had brain damage. A sergeant could beat a 2nd lut in an azzy/china matchup. Did try to FF or what?

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » The Aztecian guide to Colonial Rushing
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames