You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Semi-NVR for 'Nilla
posted 12-17-08 08:51 PM EDT (US)   
This strategy is a combination of Arcane_Ranger's RUMM Rush, and the Origional(sp) NVR for TAD by Mr.Milo(the one in his link).

The key is a quick age up, then like the NVR, make no more vils, but make a quick burst of military to attempt to defeat your oppo's army, and try to pressure his eco. The differences in this strategy is the fact that you don't have cards such as distributivism. So, in order to keep a good military, you begin making villagers once again about 30 seconds earlier, like in RUMM, where you never stop making vils.

The Deck:
Must haves:
Age1: 300w
Age2: 600f, 700f, 5 cossacks, 4 cossacks
Age3: fort, town center wagon, strelet combat
Age4: factory

Other contributive(is that a word?) cards:
Age1: --
Age2: 13 strelets, 700w, 700g, advanced arsenal, boyars, tsar reformist, fencing school
Age3: 6 opriniks, 2 falcs, 9 highlanders

The Big Fat BO:
**Note** More advanced tactics are in brackets [ ]

Discovery:
-Collect all the food crates[ Put each vil on his/her own food crate]
-MASH THAT VIL BUTTON!!! (or v)
-Once you have 270 food, send 1 vil to herd, 3 collect the remaining food[finish their current crates first], and 1 vil collects wood[closest one to a wood crate]
-the 3 vils on food go to the hunt your other vil killed[pop them through the TC to speed it up a few seconds]
-The wood vil makes 1 house as soon as you have 100 wood. Do not collect the remaining wood or gold crates.
-Look for a good food treasure with your explorer [and easy collects]. You will have much idle TC time after those 12th, 13th, and 14th vils are made. Try to cut this down.
-Send 300 wood. Once it arrives do NOT touch it until you have aged
- [With the time from 540-780 food you have, create a group of 3 vils and 1 vil
-Once you have your 14 vils and 800f, age with the 400 wood.

TRANSITION 1-2:
-Collect the 300w with 1 vil
-Send 3 vils [group if you made it] forward to make a blockhouse near his base [try to take one if his nearby hunts or mines]
-Collect any remaining wood/food crates after the 300 wood.
-Make sure that blockhouse is up before you age
-You need 375 food by the time you finish aging
- [group 4 vils nearby the TC and ungroup the other vils]

Colonial:
-Train 10 strelets
-Ship 5 cossacks to your FB. You must train the strelets first, otherwise you won't have enough pop for it all
-Collect that 400w with 4 vils. As soon as you have your first 100 wood, take one of those and make a house. Repeat for 200 and 300. [You need to make 2 houses by the time the first strelets are out]
-Queue another batch of strelets
-Harrass him with your strelets and cossacks as they come:
Vils> Military> Unmade buildings> Military> buildings> houses> TC
-Micro against his army Strelets run from his cav and beat his HI. Cossacks beat his LI and run from HI.
-If you think you are going to lose too many troups, fall back until the 10 additional strelets come out
-Ship 4 cossacks
-Put a few villagers on gold, depending on tresure and starting crates. You want to get 5 muskets queuing ASAP.
-Keep him off of hunts and mines out of his TC fire range. Anything that is far from his TC, take it down. Your goal is to confine him in a little square by raiding and shooting down his vills/army.
-Begin queuing vils again, most vils are on food, except a few, whom are mining
-At this point either you have him confined, or he still is about and is pressing you out of his base. If you have him pinned, send 700f. If you think you just need a few extra firepower or have not yet taken out his army, ship 13 strelets. Usually it's best to go 700f, as you have either beat him, crippled him, or lost the rush. There is really no in between.

POST RUSH:

Here there are two possible scenarios:

1: Your opponent has invested heavily in military and you are running out of troups. Here, I prefer to pull my army out, and continue raiding with cossacks. Try to keep them alive however, as you only get these 9 for free, and afterwards you will have to make a stable. Continue making muskets, or if he makes HI, which he will most likely do since you are incessantly raiding him, make strelets(swap those gold vils onto wood, and add another from food onto wood as well).

2. He has been crippled, but you are unable to seige him down due to a heavy turtle, or he has epic micro, whatever. The point is, you don't have the force to finish him off. Here you should go to age 3, usually most of your vils are going to be on gold and you send 600f (the gold is usually closer and less risky to get [Make a market and get placer mines]. Age with 5 cossacks. Until this point, you have been continuing batches of vils (after the initial restart). Get a TP up, and do whatever else you do for a boom. As you age, keep harrassing him. Do whatever you can to keep him busy while you age. However, don't lose too many troups.

Once you have aged, you have a variety of choices.
-2 falcs can destroy any age 2 army if you have sufficeint(sp) muskets to cover them. If you have pressured him well, 15-20 is a good amount. Quickly dispatch any cav, then resume bombarment of LI with falcs.
-6 opris are good to raid
-TC wagon is good, once you have 3 TCs you can have 9 vils/55 secs, and at 810 food, you are saving food when you make vils.
-Fort is a good container, and you can get a few extra BHs to cover his nearby hunts and mines.

So, who does this beat?

Beats: Brits, Dutch, Germans, an FF or FI
Beats with limited sucess: Semi FF(if you get rid of his army quickly), Russia, as they have the attacking type of rax and a fast age up.
Loses to: Ports( Russia has horrid seige, Multi TC and some towers will beat your army)

Don't have any recs atm, maybe I'll get some soon, but for now, text is all you have. If you prefer watching movies over reading tons of text, then watch MrMilo's recording from the News Section. Pretty much the same strat, but it has ditributivism and maybe some other diffs I may not know.

Thanks for reading, ESO is in sig if you need me, feel free to post constructive critism, and maybe spelling/grammical errors, but I don't need a list(Fenris).
And flames will get a good laugh as well.

Thanks for reading
-Soccy

ESO: socrstar
Comprehensive Turtling Guide
Semi NVR for 'Nilla
Rise of Amsterdam v2: A guide to the Dutch
"Wanna see my victory dance?" "Sure." "Hold on I need to get naked first." "Whoaa"

[This message has been edited by socrstar (edited 12-17-2008 @ 08:54 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-17-08 09:14 PM EDT (US)     1 / 13  
Pretty good. Quick question though; does 3 villagers really take 55 seconds? I think it's 50, as I did a 17-villager age in this game at 5:05. The times are right at least, although I didn't do 20 villagers and my opponent didn't (couldn't) do 19.

Also, ignore everything except for the age-up time, no one is allowed to see my uber-secret Musket Rush yet.

[This message has been edited by DuolcKrad (edited 12-17-2008 @ 09:16 PM).]

posted 12-17-08 09:16 PM EDT (US)     2 / 13  
Lol. I'm not sure. Either 50 or 55 And too late, Arcane already has the RUMM rush. Lol

Semi NVR for 'Nilla
"Wanna see my victory dance?" "Sure." "Hold on I need to get naked first." "Whoaa"
posted 12-17-08 09:22 PM EDT (US)     3 / 13  
But my uber-secret Musket Rush does something differently.

...You just aren't allowed to know yet

The strat is pretty good though, I've wanted to try a Vanilla NVR.
posted 12-17-08 09:25 PM EDT (US)     4 / 13  
Lol okay then. Thanks for compliment. But I still wonder why I put advanced tactics in brackets when its already a pretty advanced strat itself.

Semi NVR for 'Nilla
posted 12-18-08 00:06 AM EDT (US)     5 / 13  
nice job... just don't get why it's called "semi-NVR"
isn't it NVR adapted for vanilla with 300 wood instead of distribuvitism?

QUACK
posted 12-18-08 02:28 AM EDT (US)     6 / 13  
Great strategy, socrstar.

One thing though, when I play the NVR or anything that rushes involving strelets, the opponent always seem to build only calvary. And when I notice I have to reinforce my army with muskeeters, I don't have enough time before he assaults me.

Is there any solutions for this?
posted 12-18-08 03:18 AM EDT (US)     7 / 13  
One thing though, when I play the NVR or anything that rushes involving strelets, the opponent always seem to build only calvary. And when I notice I have to reinforce my army with muskeeters, I don't have enough time before he assaults me.
If you scout them, and see their building a stable, make Musketeers first. Don't make Strelets if the opponent is only making Cavalry.

The game is all about scouting. Just keep sending 1 Unit through their base, to see what buildings they have, and what resources they're gatherhing.

Because, if you know what their making, you can provide the right counter for it

Also, say if you have something like 10 Strelets and 5 Cossacks and he has 5 Hussars. What do you do? Your bring the fight back to your blockhouse, so, you can put even more damage onto the Hussars. Get your Cossacks to block the Hussars while the Strelets and BlockHouse gets free shots on them.

[This message has been edited by James246 (edited 12-18-2008 @ 03:21 AM).]

posted 12-18-08 05:56 AM EDT (US)     8 / 13  
The game is all about scouting. Just keep sending 1 Unit through their base, to see what buildings they have, and what resources they're gatherhing.
Yeah, I know scouting, but the unit will be dead without doubt. How do I scout effectively? Should I just sacrifice a strelet?

[This message has been edited by Brandon95 (edited 12-18-2008 @ 05:57 AM).]

posted 12-18-08 09:00 AM EDT (US)     9 / 13  
Yeah, I know scouting, but the unit will be dead without doubt. How do I scout effectively? Should I just sacrifice a strelet?
Yup. Your explorer is also useful.
posted 12-18-08 11:07 AM EDT (US)     10 / 13  
Nice strat Socr. Btw if you have the 700w card in your deck, you can easily build a stable with that. Do you re-start training vills at about 6:30 mins?
I've got Vanilla to work again () so I'll try it out. Do you still want that FFA, (we talked on one of those in game browsers last week about it)?
Jolly good.
posted 12-18-08 02:45 PM EDT (US)     11 / 13  
Yes, I usually restart making vils at 6:15-6:30, depending on how much of a push I need to make and contain him. Oftertimes I will also ship 700w to get a stable and two additional block houses around his base to corner him even further.

As another note, use your blockhouses to scout. Its rarely a good idea to make them bunched up(unless you are turtling). Make them just out of each others LOS, and with other buildings, you can very well have LOS 80-90% of the map.

And yes, if you see a stable, immediately being making muskets. They are the only counter Russia has to cav in age2. It is possible to vary the strat to being with muskets:

Follow steps up thorugh age 1. Instead of the normal BO, you can look for gold treasures or put a few vils on gold. Then once you have 3 or so batches of muskets out, or he switches to HI, swap those gold vils and being making strelets.

Btw, I usually age with 5 cossacks, because you usually don't make a stable and you need cav to raid.

Semi NVR for 'Nilla

[This message has been edited by socrstar (edited 12-18-2008 @ 02:48 PM).]

posted 12-18-08 02:50 PM EDT (US)     12 / 13  
looks pretty good

Cash is the topic,the object a fatter pocket
Some take the crack and chop it
But those who don't have it don't take the added profit
It's catastrophic.
posted 12-18-08 03:24 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13  
It's a nice strat. I tried it on vanilla today three times and won three times
It worked well against an Otto player. The cossack/strelet combo took out his janis allowing me to go to fort, and then oprichniks killed the remaining villies.
Once again good job
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » The Semi-NVR for 'Nilla
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames