loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The CAM Rush
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 02-13-09 01:46 PM EDT (US)   
The Cossack And Musketeer Rush
By Arcane Ranger

Summary

We all know the Russians have a legacy of being prone to cavalry. We also know that if you go purely musketeer to counter cavalry, those pesky crossbows just pick your weak musketeers off. So what about a way to counter both Ranged Infantry AND Cavalry? Well I give you the CAM Rush. TAD Version.

Deck

Everyone needs a basic deck, here is a basic deck layout for the CAM Rush:

And of course, no deck is the same, so here are some other reccomended cards you can put in:

Discovery

- 5 settlers to food crates, assign one to each crate
- Queue up first batch of settlers ASAP
- After queuing settlers, send 3 of your crate gathering settlers to hunts
- Gather 1 wood crate, leave the extra wood/gold crate for later
- Build a house with 1 settler
- Other settler goes to herd secondary hunts
- Keep queuing settlers
- Send in Distributivism (1.25 Wood Trickle)
- Age with 17 villagers, and the Quartermaster (400 wood)
- Your explorer should look for wood-food-gold-XP treasures

Discovery-Colonial Transition

- Collect your extra wood/gold crate
- If it was gold, send 8 villagers to cut trees, and 2 villagers to a mine
- If it was wood, send 6-7 villagers to cut trees, and 3-4 villagers to mine coin
- Send 3 villagers (usually from hunts) to a forward position (preferably near hunts)
- Build a blockhouse once you have 250 wood (at the forward position)
- Once the blockhouse is built, send those 3 villagers to hunts (near blockhouse)
- Build a house once you have an additional 100w

Colonial Age

- Send 2 villagers to gather the wood crates
- Queue up 5 musketeers
- Set the gather point to your forward blockhouse
- Send in 5 cossacks
- Queue up a batch of villagers
- Use 2 of your forward villagers to build a stable once you have sufficient wood
- Make 2 houses with your other 200 wood from the crates
- Arrange your villagers so that you have around 12f/1w/4g (after gathering crates and making stables)
- Send in 700 food next
- Keep queuing musketeers and cossacks
- Raid with cossacks, scout for what military your opponent has, and where their economy is
- Harass until you feel ready (usually when your units outnumber their by at least 5-10), then attack
- You should usually have a market up by now, and research the food/gold upgrades
- Send in 700g for your military, 700w for buildings, or 13 strelets for the final push
- Your split should be around 20f/2w/7g or so
- From there on, you can go fortress, or continue a colonial battle

Pros & Cons

Pros:
- Catches an opponent off guard
- Sets you up to go to fortress
- More pop than Strelet+Cossack, because of less usage of wood
- Versatile, you can switch to strelets at will
- More siege compared to that of Strelet+Cossack

Cons:
- Prone to raids if you do not herd well
- Lack of wood if you pile up your army forces you to attack or harass (usually)
- Loses to massed Heavy Infantry
- Loses to Ranged Infantry if your cossacks are not around

Strategies/Civilizations to Use/Not Use Against

Strategies:
Turtle - Okay against turtles, as higher siege lets you take down buildings easier
Rush - Good against rushes, as xbows are cavalry fodder with good micro, and so are pikes to musketeers
Semi-FF - Not great against these, as you'll be harassed while the opponent goes to fortress
FF - Okay against these, as higher siege will let you try and take the TC down quicker

Civilizations:
French - Good - Rushes will be destroyed, while FFs shall provide an equal match
Germans - Good - Rushes will be destroyed, while FFs shall provide an equal match
Dutch - Poor - A hussar and skirmisher combo will do well against this combo, while a dutch FF is fairly strong
Ottomans - Poor - Pure Jannisaries work well against this combo, while the Ottoman FF can be devastating
Spanish - Fair - A spanish rush will be destroyed, while an FF will provide an equal-hard match
Russians - Poor - Strelet and Cossacks will 4/5 beat this combo if resources are around equal
Portuguese - Good - A rush will be destroyed, while a FF will provide for an equal match
British - Fair - Pure musketeers shall be hard for this combo, while the british can out boom you too
Iroquois - Fair - The Iroquois FF shall provide for an equal match, while rushes will be fairly evened
Sioux - Fair - Cavalry based rushes will win/lose against this depending on micro
Aztecs - Fair - Coyotes and Maces, along with pumas can be disposed of, although you may consider aging with 14 settlers
Japanese - Poor - Ashigarus can be hard to beat
Indians - Poor - Sepoys can put a dent in this strategy
Chinese - Good - Qiang Pikes are absolutely destroyed, while so are Chu Ko Nus

There really is no civilization the CAM is bad against, as the cossack+musketeer is a solid combo. However, watch for Semi-FFs and pure Heavy Infantry rushes, as they can get you. In general, crossbows+pikemen lose to this combo, as the cossacks do well against the crossbows, and the musketeers pick off the pikemen.

Recordings

Yeah, I actually got off my chair and got you guys a recording, here's the list (or well, first one):
Russians vs. Germans

There it is, like it, hate it? All comments are welcome.

[This message has been edited by Arcane Ranger (edited 02-16-2009 @ 05:19 PM).]

Replies:
posted 02-13-09 02:05 PM EDT (US)     1 / 40  
This isn't a rush, just standard Russian colonial play. Change the title to "Cossack and Musketeer Colonial Warfare".
posted 02-13-09 02:09 PM EDT (US)     2 / 40  
Hm... I guess. It's your perspective though. Technically, wouldn't all rushes be considered Colonial Warfare?
posted 02-13-09 02:12 PM EDT (US)     3 / 40  
A strat like this has been executed for ages.

And like jonesk said, the CAM is nothing unique, just somewhat different build order.

And tad russian ageup is normally 14 setts, but i guess when u go for mixed units, u need 17 settler ageup to start combining different units asap.

GJ, but tbh it's nothing new.

'09 Match Of Death Winner

My elorating

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. -Napoleon
posted 02-13-09 02:22 PM EDT (US)     4 / 40  
Yes quite similar to whateveryone does. I must say, Russia-play is very similar - the shipment changes a bit for different strategies but in essence is the same of colonial warfare

SC2: Valckrie.Incarnate {Add me!}
Fear is only a four-letter word. Why be afraid?

Guides:
BMS | British Guide | BHM | RSFF | Rec Games
posted 02-13-09 02:39 PM EDT (US)     5 / 40  
Why 1k food and gold?
posted 02-13-09 02:43 PM EDT (US)     6 / 40  
where is your 4 cossack shipment?

SUNIL IS NUB!!!

Battle.net:Bart (227)
ESO:Bart331
posted 02-13-09 02:51 PM EDT (US)     7 / 40  
He doesn't need it, because he isn't rushing
posted 02-13-09 02:53 PM EDT (US)     8 / 40  
ya take out 1k food and 1k gold. Maybe add in a fort and some mercs to replace that.

QUACK
posted 02-13-09 02:53 PM EDT (US)     9 / 40  
And like jonesk said, the CAM is nothing unique, just somewhat different build order.
Yeah, I agree with you on that. Russian Colonial is only slightly varied. However, I do believe that strelet+cossack is used more widely that this type of strategy. I wouldn't count this as totally Russian Colonial Warfare, for you'll run out of wood if you put too many strelets in, and you'll have a lack of food too.
Do you need that? I don't believe you do, but you can put that in if you want.
Why 1k food and gold?
I dunno, mostly cause I had extra deck room.
And tad russian ageup is normally 14 setts, but i guess when u go for mixed units, u need 17 settler ageup to start combining different units asap.
The blockhouse let's you make units ASAP, so it's okay to age with 17.
GJ, but tbh it's nothing new.
Thanks, and I know. Then again, most rush strategies aren't anything new either ><

I'm kind of lazy, just ignore the 1ks for now. I'll update the deck part later ><

[This message has been edited by Arcane Ranger (edited 02-13-2009 @ 02:54 PM).]

posted 02-13-09 03:05 PM EDT (US)     10 / 40  
Fortress. Naow.

I like to go Musket/Cossack too though, although I delay my Stable a lot unintentionally.

[This message has been edited by DuolcKrad (edited 02-13-2009 @ 03:06 PM).]

posted 02-13-09 04:07 PM EDT (US)     11 / 40  
What about Sioux AR\BR?

Though if you just attack quick enough you can defeat that. Otherwise if you stop and try and mass, you're screwed.

Formerly Pandar.
ESO: Derek_Zoolander
posted 02-13-09 04:18 PM EDT (US)     12 / 40  
Most people do musk, coss...so it is nothing new or exciting, but I guess there are parts that are different, so good job.
posted 02-13-09 05:07 PM EDT (US)     13 / 40  
Most people do musk, coss...so it is nothing new or exciting, but I guess there are parts that are different, so good job.
Most people go Strelets and Cossak actually.

"Rot's given a free pass simply because he's Rot." - theferret
posted 02-13-09 05:16 PM EDT (US)     14 / 40  
No lots do coss musk, more people do that then strets coss.
posted 02-13-09 05:39 PM EDT (US)     15 / 40  
Thanks for the comments guys.

DuolKrad, I can't predict what will happen in fortress, thus I cannot give a complete explanation on what to do, as anything can happen in the game by then.

Derek, yeah, I guess AR+BR beats this, but there's more than one type of sioux rush.
posted 02-13-09 06:12 PM EDT (US)     16 / 40  
No, I'm pretty sure that strelet/coss is more common on most if not all playing levels.

Good guide Arcane. It's hard to come up with anything new or revolutionary because most viable strats have already been done before.

ESO2: Kyle_The_Brave
Clan: Proud Officer of Trỉρℓε ΣņτễηţϠ, [TΣ]

"Why make your own inspirational quotes when you can just read the side of O_Man's Ssips juices?" - A wise prophet
"The best way to die is to spontaneously combust during a drum solo battle with Lars Ulrich" - The Blair
posted 02-13-09 06:17 PM EDT (US)     17 / 40  
What about Sioux AR\BR?
well IMO don't do russia vs sioux. I find that very difficult. If you do i think the best option would be to ff.

QUACK
posted 02-13-09 06:51 PM EDT (US)     18 / 40  
DuolKrad, I can't predict what will happen in fortress, thus I cannot give a complete explanation on what to do, as anything can happen in the game by then.
No, remove one of the 1k resource cards and add the Fortress.
posted 02-13-09 07:24 PM EDT (US)     19 / 40  
posted 02-13-09 07:27 PM EDT (US)     20 / 40  

As soon as I read that I went "Uh-Oh". Here we go again

Anyway, nice write-up Arcane.
posted 02-13-09 09:24 PM EDT (US)     21 / 40  
Yeah I know, it must be frustrating for experts such as yourself and arcane when you see such nooby questions

some noob: Still - You need to use correct punctuation and grammar if it's going to be excepted.

[This message has been edited by jonesk (edited 02-13-2009 @ 09:43 PM).]

posted 02-13-09 09:34 PM EDT (US)     22 / 40  
So James you not going to take that thing under your name I guess out, I ask politely, and plus I just didn't read his account info so it wasn't a big deal my question.
posted 02-13-09 10:10 PM EDT (US)     23 / 40  
Thanks guys, appreciate the comments. I'll revise the deck later, cause I need to take a screenshot, upload it, and all that crap. I'll do that tomorrow.
posted 02-13-09 10:11 PM EDT (US)     24 / 40  
I would of thought you would of had your Special Name by now =/
posted 02-13-09 11:55 PM EDT (US)     25 / 40  
I would of thought you would of had your Special Name by now =/
Unlike some, arcane does not appear to be doing this for a forum title, which no-one outside this forum would understand anyway. Instead he is just writing up a bunch of basic strats many people use so that new players won't be completely helpless, though the number of those people is going down due to ES closing.

Need a quick way to get laid? Chaplain gives you results.
"Screw me if I'm wrong, but haven't we met?"
"Damn girl, you have more curves than a race track."
"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that name tag was in Braille."
"If I were you, I would have sex with me."
3 reasons I am the sexxyest forumer: Raiding Cav... - China Merc... - Aztecian coloni... <-- howzat?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » The CAM Rush
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames