Bottom
Topic Subject: The British Hussar Musket Combo
posted 02-15-09 03:17 PM EDT (US)   
British Hussar Musket Combo TAD 1.01, Vanilla 1.12

By Valckrie

::::::::::::::::::::

Foreword

This strategy aims to start early with hussars and mix in muskets quickly after. This is especially useful versus civilizations that can easily amass light infantry.

Deck

General Card Order:

Some people like to upgrade their units early on; others like to have more resources. In the end it’s your choice.

Also, 6 muskets can be shipped before 5 settlers, for faster military.

Deck:

Main Units

Hussar

Cost: 120f, 80g
Train time: 40 seconds
Build EXP: 20
Population: 2
HP: 320
Hand Attack: 30 (1.5 ROF)
Siege Attack: 20 (3.0 ROF)
Resist: 20% hand
Speed: 6.8
LOS: 15

The most basic cavalry unit in the game, however as British you have two colonial upgrades for them, which makes them worthwhile to make. They are the only cavalry you can make in colonial, and being general cavalry they are decent raiders.

Musketeer

Cost: 75f, 25g
Train time: 30 seconds
Build EXP: 10
Poulation: 1
HP: 150
Ranged Attack: 23 (12 range, 3.0 ROF)
Hand Attack: 13 (3x against Heavy Cavalry, 2.25x against *Light Infantry, 1.5 ROF)
Siege Attack: 20 (3.0 ROF)
Resist: 20% hand
Speed: 4
LOS: 16

The most basic heavy infantry in the game which most European civilizations have. They are good all-rounders with decent range, melee and siege damage.

Build Order

Discovery Age:

• 3 settlers go to nearest huntable. If on non-asian maps e.g. Great Plains you must herd your starting herd.
  • Assign each other settler to separate food crates. After two food crates deplete move those two settlers to huntables.
  • Build a settler ASAP
  • Do not collect gold crates. Build as many manors as possible (with 1 settler), if you have 95 wood left you can consider chopping 40 wood for the extra manor.
  • Explorer does the usual, scout around base for obvious herds and mines, then get some treasures. Wood are best, then food then gold.
  • Upon finding second herd task a settler to herd it if it is near, if it is too far don’t bother yet, instead use the time to age up 2 or 3 seconds quicker
  • Ship 3 Settlers
  • By that time if you have >650 food, wait a few seconds till you hit 800. If you have less than 600 food, build another settler – but if your timing is really late don’t bother. Age with Outpost + 200 coin politician.

Transition:

• Re-arrange your settler allocation to 1 gold, 3 food, rest wood.
  • Build a manor house. Place some wall segments strategically if needed.
  • Explorer tries to scout for opponents FB and hunts.
  • Queue a settler from TC, set waypoint to someone strategic, e.g. by a mine or herd.
  • When you are nearly aged, and you have 200 wood, switch settler allocation to: 4 gold, 5 wood, rest food.

Colonial Age:

• Gather 200 coin from age up with a settler. Build a stable with another settler.
  • Ship 700 wood.
  • Place tower, and as soon as stable goes up queue a hussar. Ensure you can build 5 hussars within the first batch queue, if it means rearranging settlers for a short while.
  • Queue another hussar, typically stay at 22 villagers to get your first 10 hussars out. Then start villager production again.
  • Collect 700 wood with 2 or 3 settlers. Build some manors, a market and a barracks.
  • Once you have 10 hussars you can start making a few muskets.
  • Arrange settlers as necessary. This all depends on your common sense, and your ability to adapt to the situation. You need most of your settlers on gold and food for military production, since your manors have already given you a boost to your economy. Keep 1 or 2 on wood, then split 2:1 ratio of food to gold.
  • If rushed, ship 6 muskets, if not, ship 5 settlers.
  • Keep building muskets and hussars now, try to have 10 hussars always. Raid with the hussars when you are not expecting any fights.

Further Notes:

• You must sacrifice idle TC time for a good military, or else your additional settlers are of no use.
  • Keep your hussars alive, it makes a lot of difference to future battles.
  • As you get better as a player in general, you will start to vary your build orders yourself, and only need the general outline of a strategy to perform it. Looking back at the BO, you don’t necessarily have to follow it strictly, but here is the outline.

• You need to be able to train a hussar as soon as your stable is up, and finish 5 hussars with queue system. So you need 600 food and 400 gold by that time. All you need to do is time it.
  • You need to train another batch of 5. Ok, figure how to get your resources.
  • Build the barracks shortly after you have 5 hussars. So once you have put 5 into second batch, switch settlers to get that 200 wood, or if you have built it from the 700 wood sent.
  • Now you need to train muskets, so either train muskets + settlers or leave TC idle for a while and get both muskets and hussars.
  • Do all the things you do, e.g. raid, attack when necessary, get some big treasures while your army is idle.

Target settlers first, then military, then military buildings, then houses. Refer to the list of shots / strikes below for how many times it takes to kill a unit. Remember roughly how many muskets or hussars you need, so you can be efficient and not “overkill” (e.g. 20 muskets shoot at a strelet, but strelet only takes 6 shots to die, so 14 muskets have wasted a shot when they could have taken out 2 more strelets). Not many civilizations will have outpost, and if they do try to stay out of range, if not able to then raze it when you have 20+ muskets so you don’t end up losing the musket to other forces and the opponent being able to repair outpost.

Crossbow Pike Combo

• Use hussars to kill crossbows, and run away from pikes. Muskets target the pikes – the pikes will die easily, and then your hussars can reign free while xbows are vulnerable.
  • Muskets are better in melee vs xbows than in range. So put around 1/3 of your force into melee and attack them.
  • A crossbowman can be killed in 6 shots by a musket, 4 strikes by a hussar.
  • A pikeman can be killed in 6 shots by a musket, 5 strikes by a hussar.

Strelets, Muskets and Cossacks

• Hussars can take Cossacks with the aid of muskets, but 5 cossacks can kill 4 hussar (I think), so be sure to reinforce with muskets. Try to lure Cossacks to outpost and TC fire, they will be damaged by TC fire quite a lot which will make it a lot easier. Typically as British you want to play defensive anyway, so while the enemy is seiging your outpost or TC, get rid of most Cossacks.
  • Shoot muskets with your own muskets, they are weaker than yours and so die much easily. Losing your muskets isn’t that bad, as you want to keep as many of the hussars alive as you can.
  • A Cossack can be killed in 13 shots by a musket, 8 strikes by a hussar.
  • A Strelet can be killed in 6 shots by a musket, 3 strikes by a hussar.
  • A Russian Musketeer can be killed in 6 shots by a musket, 5 strikes by a hussar.

If you discover the enemy is trying to go fortress, do a hard manor boom and make some walls to distract him, while you either stay in colonial and spam a giant army, or age up and get falconets or culverins. You need good micro to kill his age 3 units if you are staying in age 2. Be sure to flank skirmishers and cannons. Be sure to raid him all the time, to minimize his resource gathering with his few settlers while ageing and kill ageup skirmishers or whatever.

Number of Muskets to kill the unit in one volley range attack (HP in brackets)
    Musketeer (150)--------7 
    Crossbowman (100)------6 / 8 melee
    Pikeman (120)----------6
    Longbowman (95)--------6 / 8
    Strelet (90)-----------5 / 6 melee
    Settler (150)----------7 / 15 melee
    Hussar (320)-----------18 / 9 melee
    Uhlan (190)------------12 / 5 melee
    Cossack (225)----------14 / 6 melee
    Coureur des bois(180)--14 / 14 melee
    Skirmisher (120)-------8 / 10 melee
    These are in colonial, including skirmishers (Dutch or French card).

Strengths and Weaknesses

Effective civilizations to use against:

• Iroquois: Hussars can survive vs Tomahawks, and they beat Aenna’s and Kanya Riders. You will need to make muskets a bit earlier than normal, to counter a lot of Tomahawks because Hussars will eventually lose to them. Otherwise, British aren’t that bad vs them.
  • Russia: Russia does not have any decent cavalry counters in age 2, apart from their 4 and 5 cossack shipment. With the use of your TC, outpost, and durable Hussars, you can counter their early push. Then you will need to make muskets to counter their muskets or locally made Cossacks – you obviously cannot do a pure hussar build
  • British: Normally a mirror matchup, with similar units being produced. So it all depends on micro against a fellow British player.

Viable civilizations to use against:

• French: If they go musket rush, your hussars will fail, but if they start with xbow then your early hussars can easily kill their first batch. As your musket arrives, kill their pikes.
  • Dutch: Dutch do not have a musketeer type unit which makes them a good civilization to use this against. Their skirmishers are susceptible to Hussars, but pikes will also be present. You must avoid pikes and kill them with your muskets; otherwise your hussars will fall easily.
  • German: 5 Uhlans and the occasional 2 Uhlans that are shipped can be a threat to your hussars, but muskets kill them pretty nicely. If they go for an FF, be sure to kill their early army and not let them amass large quantities of fortress units. They lack the 2 cannon shipment so the only threat to your muskets is skirmishers; and they lack dragoons, instead having costy WW’s
  • Aztec: Bit vague here, I don’t know much about Aztec matchups – someone contribute to this section.
  • China: If they ship 7 steppes, your hussars are in good shape to take care of them. Obviously muskets are needed to counter pikes, and chu ko nus will die easily to hussars.
  • Portuguese: Hussars can kill the early cassadores from ageup and combined muskets take down their 3rd TC? Also ability to keep up with ports boom.

Difficult civilizations to use against:

• Ottoman: Fast rushing Janissaries will absolutely kill hussars, and your considerable later muskets will be overwhelmed. Longbow + Musket is a better combo.
  • Spain: An FF will consist of many pikes and rodeleroes, which will easily drop your hussars, and your muskets die to cannonfire.
  • Japan: Japan is OP, and this strat doesn’t particularly target any of their weaker aspects.
  • India: Sepoys are like Janissaries, so the same threat occurs here.

Sioux is the least civ I know about, someone else needs to give some details with their knowledge.

Recorded Games

AoE3 1.12

Valckrie vs chuGGy0r__
    - British PR33 vs French PR40, Saguenay, Colonial Warfare
    - Got pwned.

TAD 1.01

Valckrie vs Heer
    - British PR33 vs French PR30, Indochina, Colonial vs 5 Hussar Semi-FF
    - Got 100+ settlers.
    Valckrie vs Greeny12
    - British PR33 vs Russia PR29, Great Plains, Colonial Warfare
    - Lol I walled his blockhouse, an interesting watch!
    Valckrie vs T__N__T
    - British PR33 vs Iroquois PR26, Great Plains, Colonial Warfare
    - Iro didn’t rush me?

I had one vs Lord_Sami… but he messed up in the game with slow age up with Russia. I don’t think he would’ve wanted us to see that so there you go.

Disclaimer:Like all strategies there may be flaws and it will not be 100% effective; it is your own decision whether to use this strategy and your own judgment will affect the chances of you winning. This is merely a guide, notice the word “guide”.

Have fun

SC2: Valckrie.Incarnate {Add me!}
    Fear is only a four-letter word. Why be afraid?

Guides:
    BMS | British Guide | BHM | RSFF | Rec Games

[This message has been edited by Valckrie1 (edited 02-16-2009 @ 04:06 AM).]

• Replies:
    posted 02-15-09 04:02 PM EDT (US)     1 / 26  
    thats very well written sir

the bb-coding looks like it took quite a while to do.

but in relation to the guide its self it must have been easy,
    im thinking of doing something like this for the french as well, i just love them that much

can you explain what happens if you must go later into the game past fortress?

iTech64
    My Strategies:French Semi-FF | French 2x Musket Rush | French 2x Xbow Rush
    My Mapguides: Northwest Territories
    posted 02-15-09 04:33 PM EDT (US)     2 / 26  
    You should get the fanpatch, there Japan and India aren't OP.
    Apart from that, this is very nicely written, and it's a basic (yet effective and adaptable) strategy.

Get the fanpatch.
    posted 02-15-09 05:53 PM EDT (US)     3 / 26  
    Easily the best guide I have seen on these forums in a long time.

My only gripe is with the advice you give for playing against Iro. I would be interested to see how you manage on fast rushing maps against a toma rush.

some noob: Still - You need to use correct punctuation and grammar if it's going to be excepted.
    posted 02-15-09 06:26 PM EDT (US)     4 / 26  
    Very nice write up from a very good british player as yourself, would you be able to add some vanilla recordings also?
    posted 02-15-09 08:19 PM EDT (US)     5 / 26  
    Thank you for an exelent guide, I will be trying it out as soon as I have a chance very well written and easy to understand

Fremantle Dockers for 2009
    posted 02-15-09 08:44 PM EDT (US)     6 / 26  
    Easily the best guide I have seen on these forums in a long time.
    yeah this looks very nice. downloaded the recs, will watch them eventually.

BTW, i read that you walled in the russians blockhouse?

what's the point of this? the muskets/strelets/cossacks will be able to break out in several seconds?

QUACK
    posted 02-15-09 09:00 PM EDT (US)     7 / 26  
    They may be able to break out but it costs them time and you can see what units they are making (if you see them going pure musk for example you can make more muskets rather then more hussar). Musk/huss is the only combo I really use but I do it different and I like the way I do it better but good to see some people writing a guide to people who don't know how to play the British. gj.
    posted 02-16-09 03:44 AM EDT (US)     8 / 26  
    I do have the fanpatch, in response to Eicho, but the games are scarce and often to really get a game you need to wait along time.Unfortunately i do not always have that time, so until more people have the FP, or i have higher in rank than all 1.01 users then i will stay without FP.
    what's the point of this? the muskets/strelets/cossacks will be able to break out in several seconds?
    This delays their initial cossacks from harassing me, or their muskets for that matter. Furthermore if they train strelets, their siege is horrible and will take even longer to get through. I also get some LOS at their B-house since they won't spent time demolishing it all.
    My only gripe is with the advice you give for playing against Iro. I would be interested to see how you manage on fast rushing maps against a toma rush.
    OK, hmm in theory you can against his initial 10 tomas wait till your 6 muskets come, in the meanwhile harass his villagers or stray toma while 10 villager sit in TC weaking his initial 10. Then get rax earlier and get muskets, let hussars take damage and keep musket alive to shoot at tomas. Nearly dead hussars must run away so that the damage is spread evenly and minimize loss of hussars.

And Tyler, i have one vanilla recording, i can get more if i find good games and add them eventually.

Thanks everyone for comments !

Guides:

[This message has been edited by Valckrie1 (edited 02-16-2009 @ 04:03 AM).]

posted 02-16-09 06:12 AM EDT (US)     9 / 26  
    Nice guide.

My estimate? About 7 minutes to make?
    posted 02-16-09 10:27 AM EDT (US)     10 / 26  
    Vanilla rec seemed a bit easy, as you way out played him. Probably due to skill difference between TAD and nilla.

I really loved that chart for killing units with must, helps a lot with control groups.

This is mainly for colonial warfare, I know, but instead of the fort, I like 1000 gold as a boost for those mercs in there.

This is relatively good against aztecs, as they need to gather all 3 resourses to have a counterable army, whereas you gather mainly gold and food with shipped wood. just micro out the 2 SK before they rape the hussars. Hussars work well against mace and coyotes, especially with musk support if he ships pikes/gold.

Need a quick way to get laid? Chaplain gives you results.
    "Screw me if I'm wrong, but haven't we met?"
    "Damn girl, you have more curves than a race track."
    "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that name tag was in Braille."
    "If I were you, I would have sex with me."
    3 reasons I am the sexxyest forumer: Raiding Cav... - China Merc... - Aztecian coloni... <-- howzat?

[This message has been edited by Marneus Calgar (edited 02-16-2009 @ 10:28 AM).]

posted 02-16-09 11:25 AM EDT (US)     11 / 26  
    K, but the vanilla rec i lost to the french guy. What were you talking about? Or is it one of the TAD recs, those i all won.

Guides:
    posted 02-16-09 11:28 AM EDT (US)     12 / 26  
    I think that sioux br would own this. But u should ask dereck_zoolander/pandar, he knows them really well.

EDIT: btw u might want to point out that u have to be really fast geting out those hussars vs china. Otherwise China will get its eco and miltary going.

¨°ºO "All you big boys stay back and let me do my thaaaang"Oº°‘¨

[This message has been edited by ckei (edited 02-16-2009 @ 02:46 PM).]

posted 02-16-09 11:42 AM EDT (US)     13 / 26  
    BRs got killed in fanpatch 1.1. They're only good at what they're supposed to do now. I'll miss the good raiding, but it's a step forward for Sioux balance.

ESO2: Kyle_The_Brave
    Clan: Proud Officer of Trỉρℓε ΣņτễηţϠ, [TΣ]

"Why make your own inspirational quotes when you can just read the side of O_Man's Ssips juices?" - A wise prophet
    "The best way to die is to spontaneously combust during a drum solo battle with Lars Ulrich" - The Blair
    posted 02-16-09 01:05 PM EDT (US)     14 / 26  
    woops, I accidentaly misnamed the recs. It's the one with the other french guy. I forgot you can't even watch nilla recs on TAD

Need a quick way to get laid? Chaplain gives you results.
    "Screw me if I'm wrong, but haven't we met?"
    "Damn girl, you have more curves than a race track."
    "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that name tag was in Braille."
    "If I were you, I would have sex with me."
    3 reasons I am the sexxyest forumer: Raiding Cav... - China Merc... - Aztecian coloni... <-- howzat?
    posted 02-16-09 01:41 PM EDT (US)     15 / 26  
    I got your records, and I will watch them when I have time.
    posted 02-16-09 04:12 PM EDT (US)     16 / 26  
    Strat looks good, but do you think you could post a vanilla replay whre you don't get beat?
    Thanks.
    posted 02-16-09 04:54 PM EDT (US)     17 / 26  
    Yes post records where you win, so that we can see how effective it is, not you losing then people getting discouraged to try it.
    posted 02-16-09 07:57 PM EDT (US)     18 / 26  
    ^^^ i believe the only one he lost was the vanilla. He won all three of the TAD recordings, so obviously your advice is pretty useless considering you don't seem to have looked at any of the recordings.

QUACK
    posted 02-16-09 09:18 PM EDT (US)     19 / 26  
    As you just pointed out, he loss one game, people don't want to see a strat being beat, so you contraditced yourself .
    posted 02-17-09 00:57 AM EDT (US)     20 / 26  
    IMO its good to show wins/losses so the people can see where he went wrong and do it better/tweak it, nice write up Valckrie, villie wars

chuGGyor__ didn't go portugese =O

[img]http://www.skwizz.com/aoe_sign/TenaciousKiller@5@85@1@aoe3@250%2C250%2C250@220%2C172%2C58.png[/img]
    [img]http://www.skwizz.com/aoe_sign/RiZinGGpho3NiX@5@89@1@aoe3@250%2C250%2C250@220%2C172%2C58.png[/img]
    posted 02-17-09 01:07 AM EDT (US)     21 / 26  
    As you just pointed out, he loss one game, people don't want to see a strat being beat, so you contraditced yourself .
    no, actually you're contradicting yourself. You told him to post up recordings in which he won. He won in 3 out of 4 of the recordings he put up thus making it unnecessary for you to make such a comment. That shows that you obviously just typed the statement without watching or reading his comments about the recordings.
    IMO its good to show wins/losses so the people can see where he went wrong and do it better/tweak it, nice write up Valckrie, villie wars
    yeah i agree. if you lose, put it up anyway, so then people can see certain downfalls of the strat so that they will know not to blindly follow it in some situations vs some civs.

QUACK
    posted 02-17-09 03:58 AM EDT (US)     22 / 26  
    Yeah I played him again, when he was ports, and got owned even more lol.

Next vanilla win i will post, to satisfy some people.

Guides:
    posted 02-17-09 04:01 AM EDT (US)     23 / 26  
    He won all three of the TAD recordings, so obviously your advice is pretty useless
    What's new?
    posted 02-17-09 07:20 AM EDT (US)     24 / 26  
    Good strategy. Btw, you got TAD? Lol, never knew ><
    posted 02-17-09 07:39 AM EDT (US)     25 / 26  
    Yeah, already major. But I need to catch up on knowledge of TWC civs, Im sucking at that atm.

Guides:
    posted 02-17-09 03:42 PM EDT (US)     26 / 26  
    Being new to asian or indian civs is like being a noob all over again, but you will catch on quickly.
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » The British Hussar Musket Combo
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames