Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Basics of china
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 03-21-09 05:34 PM EDT (US)   
BASICS OF CHINA

China was the first civ I tried and is still one of my favourite civs. A clan mate(Olio)taught it to me and since then I have been playing china.

Note: this guide are for those who are compleatly unfamiliar with the civ. Those who already play it wont find it so useful

Content:
1.0 Overall
2.0 Military section
2.1 Banner armies
2.2 Units
3.0 Strategy section

1.0 Overall

Strengths:

+Village
The Chinese village is a really diverse Building, it allows you to garrison villager,
receive shipments and fatten livestock. All this for just 200 wood quite nice in my
opinion

+ 220 max pop
The fact that china is able to have a 220 max population gives them a huge
advantage over all the other civ

+Banner armies
The fact that you can get unit combos from one batch is a really good advantage. This
means that you are able to make an 3 unit combo army early on

+Strong military shipments
China has one of the best military shipments overall. Enough said

+Strong early mid game
Chinas “golden” age is between 6-11 minutes. During this time china is really
powerful, they are able to overwhelm the opponent with good unit combos and military
Shipments during this time

+Old han reform
A card so OP that it has to be mentioned alone. With this card China becomes a
powerhouse in late game. What it does is that it increases the Hp and attack of the Old
Han banner army with 100 %. But remember that it also increase the cost of the Old han army with 50%,but this shouldn’t be a problem late game when you have the porcelain tower and the Russian factory.

+Useful cards
China has the best cards of all the civs in my opinion. Cards like Old han reform and
New army are game changing. Sometimes you feel that being able to have 25 cards in
a deck is not enough

Weakness]:

-Early game
Chinas early game is a big weakness . If the opponent is able to
hit before 6 min its pretty much gg because china has generally a hard time of
recovering from early attacks

-Banner armies
Although banner armies are generally an advantage they can also be too an
disadvantage in a few situations because you can not always get the units that you
would like.

-Villages
Works for you and against you.They have many purposes as an Livestock penn for example.
But in early game if your opponent is able to destroy on of your villages then you will find yourself extremly overpoped

-Cav countering,China has problems in countering cav as they cant go full Heavy infantry or Ligth cavalry(+their ligth cavalry pretty much blows)
Useful cards

Below I have listed cards that are very useful.

Discovery age:

Northern refugees- gives one village for every village and Town center. Should be in every deck

Colonial age:

9 Qiang-pikemen -Sends 9 Qiang pikemen. Should be in every deck

8 Chu ko nu`s- Sends 8 Chu ko nu. Should be in every deck

7 steppe riders- Sends 7 Steppe riders. Should be in every deck

Sustainable agriculture- villager gather 15% faster from ricepaddies A good card makes it easier to switch from hunts to rice paddies later in the game

Mongolian scourge- Steppe Riders do more damage against Villagers and buildings. Keshiks do more damage against heavy cavalry and Coyote Runners. Iron Flails do more damage versus archers and skirmishers. Useful in almost every situation

Diplomatic intrigue-sends 300 export and reduces consulate relations to 25 export . A very useful card, I have it every deck

Standard army hit points- hit points increased with 15% for chu ko nu and steppe rider .Good card should be in every deck

Fortress age:

1000 wood-sends 1000 wood. A really good card. Makes it easy to start an 3 tc vill production or 1 tc+ rice paddy

Territorial army upgrade - Changdao and arquebuiser gets an 15% increase to Hp and attack .Good card

Double faced armor- Meteor hammer and Ironflail gets an 15% to armor and Hp .Good card

Repelling volley 10% attack for Chu ko nu and Arquebuiser. Increased bonus vs Hi and Ligth cavalry .Good card

New army-All Chu Ko Nus transform into Arquebusiers and all Qiang Pikemen transform into Changdao Swordsmen. Good card can be deadly if shipped at the right time. Optional

Royal mint- villagers gather all gold 25% faster. Good and useful

Refrigration- villagers gather all food 20% faster. Good and useful

Industrial age:

Old han reforms -Chu Ko Nu and Qiang Pikemen attack and hitpoints increased by 100%,also increase cost with 50%. Costs 1000 food to ship. Should be in every deck

Manchu Combat -Qiang Pikeman, Changdao, Keshik, and Meteor Hammer gets an 15% increase to attack and hitpoints .good and useful card

Western reforms -Boost attack and hp of every unit with 8% . Should be in every deck

Consulates allies

British
Bonus: Hp increased with 10% for land units

The brits consulate shipments Consist of support units such as the red coat. I personally favour the British consulate because it boosts the hp of the weak Chinese units. Against Aztec the British red coats are nice counter Coyote runners. The 4 spies helps you to handle with merc ff;ers.

Shipments
Colonial age:

British expeditionary company (400 export)
Consists of 6 redcoats (musketeers)

2 surgeons (200 export)
4 spies (400 export)

Fortress age :

British expeditionary force (800 export)
Consists of 8 redcoats and 1 falconet

5 petards (300 export)

Industrial age:

British expeditionary army (1600 export)
Consists of 6 life guards and 3 falconets (life guard= hussar)
Imperial age:

Consists of 16 Rogers rangers and 5 falconets (Rogers ranger= skirmisher)

Russians
Bonus:-10% villager training time
In late game you want to ally with the Russians primary for their factory and fort wagon. The 4 Cossack shipment in colonial is also quite nice when fighting vs. rifle infantry
Otherwise I wouldn’t recommend to ally with them except if you are playing treaty,
where you really can take advantage of the faster villager training time.

Shipments
Colonial age:

Russian Expeditionary Company (400 Export)
consists of 4 Siberian Cossacks (Cossacks)

Blockhouse wagon (200 export)

Fortress age :

Russian expeditionary force (800 export)
consists of 5 Siberian Cossacks and 1 culverin

Fort wagon (600 export)

Industrial age:

Russian expeditionary army (1600 export)
Consists of 7 Kalmucks and 3 culverins (kalmuck=dragoon)

Factory wagon (800 export)

Imperial age:

Russian expeditionary brigade (2400 export)
Consists of 15 Bashkir ponies and 3 culverins (bashkir pony= hussar)

French (Hc lvl 20)
Bonus: +5% resource gathering
I personally think that allying with the French is pretty useless. Their bonus is pretty
useless and their shipments aren’t that great either.
Shipments
Colonial age :
French expeditionary company (400 export)
Consists of 4 Young Gardes(grenadiers)

Crate of food(300 export)

Crate of wood(300 export)

Crate of gold ( 300 export)

Fortress age :

French expeditionary force (800 export)
Consists of 3 Young Gardes and 3 Gendarmes( Currasier)

Industrial age:

French expeditionary army (1600 export)
Consists of 5 Gendarmes and 2 horse artilleries

Imperial age:

French expeditionary brigade (2400 export)
Consists of 15 gendarmes

Germans (Hc lvl 40)
Bonus: 10% cheaper banner armies
The German consulate ally is one of the most use fullest alongside brits. The German ally bonus is pretty neat anytime in the game and the trickle shipments are also useful. However their
unit shipments aren’t that great. The 3 doppel soldner shipment in colonial isn’t much to brag
about when you are able to get 6 red coats from brits. Doppelsoldners are also nice counter for Coyote runners I would ally with the Germans
just because of the cost reduce. Shipments
Colonial age:

German expeditionary company (400 export)
Consists of 3 zweihander (doppelsoldner)

Food trickle ( 250 export)

Fortress age:

German expeditionary force(800 export )
Consists of 3 zweihander and 6 pruissan needle gunners ( pruissan needle= skirmisher)

Wood trickle (250 export)

Industrial age:

German expeditionary army (1600 export)
Consists of 11 pruissan needle gunners and 2 heavy cannons

Coin trickle(250 export)

Imperial age:

German expeditionary army German Brigade (2400 export)
Consists of 19 czapka uhlans and 15 pruissan needlegunners

(czapka uhlan=uhlan)

Wonders

The Porcelain tower
The porelain tower produces a steady trickle of recource of your choice.This wonder doesnt give you any shipment but instead it increases the trickle depending on in which age you built it.

shipment
age2: 3.0 food/s 2.5gold/s and 2.5 Wood/s
age3: 4.5 food/s, 4.0 gold/s and 4.0 wood/s
age4: 6.0 food/s, 5.5 gold/s, and 5.5wood /s
age5: 6.5 food/s, 6.0 gold/s and 6.0 wood/s

The Summer palace
The summer palace produces banner armies of your choice. This is usually my Colonial age up wonder because the 400 food shipment gives me that extra push that I need to get my economy rolling.

shipment
age2:400 food
age3:1000 food
age4:1500 food
age5 2000 food

The Confucian academy
The Confucian academy produces Flying crows. I have never quite find this wonder useful even if it produces one of Chinas most powerful unit

shipment
age2:4 Chu ko nu´s
age3:8 arquebuisers
age4:12 arquebuisers
age5 21 arquebuisers

The Temple of heaven
The temple of heaven gives you an “heal” button. Once you push the heal button it will auto heal all your units for a small time. The wonder also grants your Chinese monk the ability to heal. I usually use this wonder to age up to Industrial age. The heal button is a great ability when you are
in need of refreshing your units in a big battle.

shipment
age2:3villagers
age3:6 villagers
age4:10 villagers
age5 20 villagers

The White pagoda
The white pagoda boosts the attack and hp of your Chinese monk and disciples . I personally not use the white pagoda because I find other wonders more useful. It also increases the disciple amount from 5 to 11

Shipment
age2: 4 diciplies
age3: 6 diciplies
age4: 10 disciples
age5: 16 disciples

2.0 Military section

2.1 Banner armies

The Chinese military is trained in so called “Banner armies” (except artillery). The banner armies consists of various units which means that you also can get units that you don’t want.
Keep in mind that Chinas military units are very specialized. China doesn’t have a all-around unit like a musketeer available. So you need some micro to play them efficiently
Banner armies available inColonial age:

Standard army costs 255 food and 170 gold; it consists of 3Chu ko nu´s and two Steppe riders (5 pop). The standard army is an aggressive banner army, which is good vs heavy, and rifle infantry .The standard army is best used when you are rushing or raiding. When you are rushing with the standard army, always remember to combine them with old Han armies for protection from cavalry. In Fortress age you should use the standard army more as a raiding squad and support banner army

Old Han army costs 270 food and 170 wood, it consists of 3 Chu ko nu´s and three Qiang pikes (6 pop). The old Han army is an all around banner army, which allows you to both, be aggressive and defensive. When you are rushing with the old Han army always remember to combine them with a few standard armies for more diversity. The Old Han reform card in Industrial age increases the hp and damage of the old Han army unit’s significally.

Ming army costs 375 food and 120 wood, it consists of 3 Keshiks and two Qiang pikes (5 pop). The Ming army is designed to counter cavalry and light infantry. I suggest only training Ming armies when you are facing pure cavalry or Li because the old Han army is much better in both usage and cost effectiveness.

Banner armies available in Fortress age:

Imperial army costs 485 food and 255 gold; it consists of 3 Arquebuiser and two Iron flails (7 pop). The imperial army is a Fortress age equivalent of the standard army in Colonial age. Because the Imperial army is much stronger than the standard army is, I suggest training Imperial armies for an attacking force in fortress age

Territorial Army costs 285 food and 255 gold. It consists of three Arquebuiser and three Chang daos (6pop). The Territorial Army is a Fortress age equivalent of the old Han army in colonial. You should use them as a main attacking force once you are in Fortress age.

Forbidden army costs 480 food and 350 gold, it consists of two Iron flails and two Meteor hammers (8pop). The forbidden army is Chinas only pure cavalry banner army. The forbidden army serves as a rifle infantry and artillery deployer, but also as a raiding squad. Always train a few forbidden armies even if they are a little bit costly.

Banner armies available from the castle (fortress age only)

Black flag army costs 170 wood and 425 gold; it consists of three Arquebuiser and one Flamethrower. This is an anti infantry army, but I strongly suggest to train imperial armies instead because they do the job better than the black flag army does. If you want flamethrowers, you should just train them alone instead of the black flag army.

Mongolian army costs 495 food and 270 wood. It consists of three Hand mortars and three Keshiks. The Mongolian army is an anti artillery army, but I suggest just training hand mortars instead of training Mongolian armies because its much more cost efficient.

2.2Units

Chinese monk

The Chinese monk is Chinas explorer/hero unit; the Chinese monk is able to build town centres and trade posts. The Chinese monk is able to “freeze” treasure guardians with the stun ability. The Chinese monk also hits critical strikes every now and then. The critical strike does more damage than the regular attack. The Chinese monk is able to turn dead foes to disciples with the passive ability. He is also able to train disciples. There are many upgrades to the Chinese monk at the temple. The Chinese monk also increases the critical hit damage for the disciples.

Disciple (can only be trained from the Chinese Monk)

Disciples costs 80 food and serves many purposes, scouting for example. The Disciple is a light infantry unit, which excels on killing ranged infantry and artillery. The Disciple is also able to turn dead foes into new Disciples. If you are going to use the Disciples more frequently, I strongly suggest getting the tech, which costs 100 food and 100 gold from the temple, which improves both Hp, and attack damage of your disciples. You are only able to get five disciples at a time.

Ranged infantry

Chu ko nu (available in Colonial age)

Chu ko nu is a Chinese ranged infantry, which shoots multiple bolts (3) at once. The Chu ko nu is included in the standard and old Han banner army.

microtip: 6 Chu ko nu`s kills a musketeer in one shot

Arquebuiser (available in Fortress age)

The Arquebuiser is a stronger ranged infantry than the Chu ko nu. The arquebuiser also has more range than the Chu ko nu, which means it is easier to hit n run with arquebuiser than with Chu ko nus. The Arquebuiser is included in the imperial, territorial and black flag banner armies.

Microtip: Five Arquebuiser kills a musketeer in one shot

Heavy infantry

Qiang-pikeman (available in Colonial age)

The Qiang-pikeman is a Chinese heavy infantry. The Qiang pike man has less hp, but more attack than the European pike man does. The Qiang pike man is included in the old Han and Mongolian banner army. Unfortunately, the Qiang pike man does not have a bonus vs. light infantry. This means that a light infantry spam can tear apart the Chinese army in colonial.

Chang Dao (available in Fortress age)

The Chang Dao is a Chinese heavy infantry. The Chang Dao is stronger than the Qing pike man is, but he also costs more than the Qiang pike man does. The Chang Dao is only included in the Territorial banner army.

Heavy Cavalry
Chinas heavy cavalry is only good vs Rifle infantry and artillery so keep them away from heavy infantry unit. A nice card to have in your deck is the Mongolian scourge , which increases the damage of steppe riders vs settlers and buildings. Keshiks get a bigger damage vs heavy cavalry and coyote runners.
Iron flails get a better damage vs rifle infantry

Steppe rider (available in Colonial age)

The Steppe rider is a Chinese heavy cavalry, which is particularly good at raiding because of its multiplier vs. settlers and buildings. The steppe rider
Is only included in the standard banner army

Iron flail (available in Fortress age)

The Iron flail is a Chinese heavy cavalry which haves a small area damage. The area damage makes the Iron flail great at taking down Ranged Infantry, which has clumped together. They are like mini currasiers.The Iron flail is included in the Imperial and forbidden banner army

Meteor hammer (available in Fortress age)

The Meteor hammer is a Chinese heavy cavalry with a small-ranged melee attack. The ranged melee attack is useful as it gives the Meteor hammer the first strike. The Meteor hammer has a better base attack than the iron flail. The Meteor hammer is only included in the Forbidden banner army.

Light Cavalry

Keshik (available in Colonial age)

The Keshiks is a Chinese light cavalry unit armed with a bow. The Keshiks is very weak units so do not let it go into fights vs. Heavy infantry. The Keshiks is included in the Ming and Mongolian army. I personally not make Keshiks because they are weak and the armies that they are included in are not that useful in my opinion. I think that the Chang Dao and the Qing pike man do a better job as a cavalry counter unit.

Artillery

Flamethrower (available in Colonial age from the castle)

The flamethrower is a Chinese siege unit, which shoots fire. The flamethrower inflicts dps (damage per second) on enemy units in its range. The flamethrower costs
170 gold and 170 wood. The flamethrower itself is a little controversial. Some say its useless while other remarks it to be one of the Chinese’s best units. I personally think that the flamethrower is good in certain occasion, for example in a Chinese mirror where the units already are weak. However, vs. civs like Brits, the flamethrowers range and hp is too small to make a threat against longbows etc. You are able to train flamethrower single or in the black flag banner army

Hand mortar (available in Fortress age from the castle)

Hand mortar is a Chinese artillery unit, which fires from a long distance to it target. Unlike the European mortar and the Japanese morutaru, the Chinese mortar is also able to hit at enemy units. Because the hand mortar only costs 50 food and 90 wood it is quite easy to get many of them. Another thing great about the hand mortar is that they are available in fortress age, which means that you are able to take down forts, town centres without having to worry about taking damage. They are also good at taking down enemy artillery pieces. However, you have to protect them carefully because they cannot take much damage before they die. The easiest way to protect them is by keeping them at the back of your army when you are not using them.

microtip: 7 hand mortars kills 1 falconet in one shot

Flying crow (available in Colonial from the Confucian Academy)

Flying crows are a Chinese equivalent to the British rocket. You should use the Flying crow vs. massed infantry because it has huge area damage, but be careful because the flying crows range is not that great. You can’t train Flying crows. But they auto spawn from the Confucian academy (wonder) and it’s also possible to get Flying crows from Industrial age shipments

NAVY

War junk
The war junk is basically a Chinese caravel. It is good to explore and fish with. The
War junk costs 300 wood and 100 gold

Fuchuan
The Fuchuan is a Chinese heavy warship. The Fuchuan is able to train banner armies
when it is on land. The Fuchuan costs 475 wood and 750 gold

Fire ship
The fire ship is a Chinese warship. The fire shop works basically as a petard. It is good vs.
Docks and other Building on the Shoreline. The fire ship costs 100 wood and 100 wood

3.0 Strategy section

In this section I will go trough Chinas basic strat; the basic Chinese contain/rush
I find this strat to be the most useful lest because it actually serves as a core build order for almost all china strategies. Once you learn it, you can easily do almost whatever you want

Basic Chinese Discovery age

In this section, I am going to write about the Chinese age up that most people do .I is also going to give you some tips on how to build your base properly.

0-1:10 min
Start by collecting all the food crates.

After you have collected the food crates, divide your villagers into 2 groups; three in each group.

Then you put your first group of villagers to hunt, while the second group collects the wood crates. All new villagers on hunts.

When the second group has collected all the wood crates, put them all on wood chopping.

You should now have reached your housing limit. Send one of your hunters to build your first village behind or at sides of your Town center. (By building your first village near your town center, it is easier to secure it.). After you have built the village, send your goat there to fatten. (You will need it later)
[JPEG, (245.34 KB)]

1:10- 2:40 min
Now as soon as you have the wood needed for building your second village (200 wood), send one of the wood choppers to build it (your second village should be somewhere near your second hunt)

[JPEG, (262.16 KB)]

Put the rest of the woodchoppers on to hunts and send the Northern refuges card (you should have earned your first shipment by now)

When the villager have build the village send it to heard your 2nd hunt closer to your Tc

When the shipment arrives, send the villagers from the shipment to hunts.

2:40- 3:30

-Your goat should now be worth about 100 food, send 2 villagers to kill it. This will give you that extra food you need.
3:30- 5:00 min Transition to Colonial age

-At around 3: 30 ish you should start building on the summer palace (wonder). Put for 4 villagers to build the wonder and relocate your villagers according to which strat you are about to do.

[JPEG, (274.65 KB)]
I like having my wonder in front of my Town center and war academy because it provides such a large shelter for them

- This is where a few variations happens depending on the strategy. but the common thing for all the strats, which uses standard age up, is that you should build a market and get the water wheel
(Increased wood gathering) and hunting eagle (increased hunting)

Note: You should send your Monk treasure hunting. You should focus mainly on getting wood and food treasures to speed your age up, but gold and xp are good too.

BASIC CHINESE RUSH/CONTAIN
Most of this strategy is written by simia so I would like to give him some credit on that. However, I have also put in things that I find important

Deck

this is the deck I mostly use I find it to suit my gameplay. Its a basic deck nothing special

THE OLD HAN RUSH
The old han rush is an all around rush. Good vs civs tend to use cav more frequently (Sioux for etc). The old han rush allows you to both rush, but also defend. Standard army rush on the other hand is more aggressive.

Transition from Basic Chinese Discovery Age:
4 villagers on food, 4 on building wonder, the rest on wood. Remember to make villagers during age up! No need to save any food for armies in colonial, use it all to queue up vills.

You should be able to build an market during transition. I usually get the water wheel and the Hunting eagle

Colonial: 5:00 min
When you hit colonial, take three villagers from the wonder to gather the 400 food you get from age up, and take one villager from the wonder to build a war academy

*If you are going to attack it is advisable to put the war academy in front of your base, later on you should build a village there so you can get shipments to it.

*If you are going to defend a rush I advice putting the barracks behind your wonder, this way it is more protected

If you do it right, you can queue up two Old Han armies as soon as you get the barracks up.

1st shipment is 8 Chu ko nus, second is 7 Steppe Riders, 3rd is whatever resource crate you need most.

NOTE: If u feel safe, it might be more viable to send 700 wood first. This way you can get the consulate and a village up real fast, which will give you a quite nice boost. This however means that you are going to neglect the rush and instead going to pressure your opponent

Keep constant villager production, and make sure to herd and make more villages as you need
population. You want to have 10-11 on wood, and the rest on food until you get about 17-20 on food.
You also want to start switching about 4-5 on gold so that you are able to start training standard armies

Note:
-Against Russia I recommend building more defensively, build a small wall attached to your wonder and go Standard army.AlWAYS HAVE 10 rattan shields in your deck against Russia and go with the Russian consulate ally for Siberian cossacks.Making disciplies migth be worthwhile

-Against Sioux I also recommend building more defensively. Building a small wall attached to your wonder is not a bad idea .This match up is one of the hardest for china so you have to abuse your ablity to build villages. Don’t bother building Standard armies, bow riders will rape them. Instead, get them from your wonder or shipment. I usually send nine Qiangs first in this matchup because he will probably ship four axe riders immediately so that he can crush you from the beginning

THE STANDARD ARMY RUSH

This is Chinas Strongest rush, your opponent will struggle vs. you because it gives you so many options; if you are too slow you can easily change it to an raiding strategy which I find to be just as effective as rushing. I would not use Standard army rush vs. Germany, Aztec, Iroquois or Sioux because all four of those tend to spam either cavalry or coyotemen (Aztec) vs you.

Transition from the Basic Chinese Discovery Age:
Four villagers on a wonder, four on food, three on wood, five on gold. Remember to make villagers as you age up, and send them to gold, or send them to wood if you can't find any wood treasures. LOOK FOR WOOD TREASURES. If you find any big ones, you can get away with having only 1-2 villagers on wood; move them to food or gold. However, you must have 200 wood by Colonial, for a Barracks.

Colonial age: 5:00 min
Of the four villagers building the wonder, take three and use them to gather the 400 food from the Summer Palace. Take the last one and have him build a barracks.

If you do things right, you should be able to queue up 2 Standard Armies immediately after the barracks is built, and 1 more after the 2nd one spawns.

Keep making villagers, and send them to food first, keeping 5-6 on gold. Then alternate between sending them to food and gold. Ideally, you want about 12 on food, and 8-9 on gold for constant military and villager production. Then maybe send some to wood to build a consulate and a market and villages.

First shipment is always eight Chu KO nu´s for early raid prevention, then seven Steppe Riders. If you have the upper hand, send Standard army reforms as your third card to help with raiding, but if you are losing battles then send 700 food to help you get more units and villager out.

Note: Split your steppes in to two too groups and raid from two different directions. This will mean that he have to choose what he wants to sacrifice

Option
If you think that you cannot break through your enemy’s base, but you still have the advantage. Just simply send 700 gold and go to fortress age. If the 700 gold shipment arrives at around 8:30 you should be able to age around 10 minutes. Once in fortress age you can start sending your strong military shipments such as 10 arquebuiser or 7 mortars

a record vs Japan

The 300 food rush

Is an chinese rush which basically involve sending 300 food instead of northern refugees. You are going to neglect your economy for a stronger/faster rush so its really important that you succed capturing the opponent right away

You are going to have a flexible villager allocation(due to treasures), but
a simple rule is to have more vills on wood than on food in the beginning

Good vs;
Japan- japan cant simply deal with a chinese rush that comes this fast. Ship 8 ckn first instead of 7 steppes to take down ashigurus

“Ok” vs;
German- 300 food rush is ok vs Germans because. You are able to get
military a long time before their beloved 9 crossbow shipments arrive.
Destroy their barracks or stable and its pretty much gg.

Discovery age]

-Collect the food crates,After you have collected the food crates have 1 vill collect 2 wood crates(200 wood).No more or your age up will be too slow

-Try to get some wood or food treasures with your explorer/monk. Wood treasures are more important than food.

-build one village with the wood that you collected. Everybody to food.
One villager should go and heard the second hunt towards your Tc

- Send 300 food shipment and start building Summer palace around 2:55ish You should have 4 villagers on the wonder

During transition]

-Villager allocation: 5 villagers on food, 4 on wood. Tc waypoint to wood

Collect the wood crate

-Send 2 villagers forward to build an War academy

Colonial age 4:30

-Collect the food crates from age up, you should be able to train one Old han right away

- Villager allocation: 5 villagers on food , 8 on wood

- Send 7 steppe and combine them with your trained Old han army(they should arrive at the same time. If you have done right)
-Harass and train additional old han armies.

-Build your second village at your war academy so that your shipments can arrive over there

-Third shipment should be 8 chu ko nu´s for more fire power

-Destroying your enemy´s barracks/stable is your top priority. If you cant find the barrack ,just simply take down his houses. He will pretty soon find himself overpoped ,not being able to ship/train Military or villagers

-fourth shipment should be 9 qiang pikes for additional siege power

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------ -
General tips

- In the temple you are able to train mercenaries and upgrade your monk and disciples.

- Do not get the techs from the villages before you have max villages.

- Always be aggressive when you are playing china (with this I do not mean that you should attack him, instead raid, raid and raid). You have to interrupt your opponent all the time so that you can control the game. That is something I have learned the hard way. Check, Cookiecrisp´s vod part1 and you will now what I mean.

- When playing with china you must counter your opponents unit. You cannot just spam Old Han or Standard armies and hope for the best.

- on maps were herdables appear you should always try to get as many as possible. This is a great advantage for other civs but even a greater advantage for chin because of villages which works as livestock penns. There isnt any better than a fatted cow in colonial

-Always aim for Industrial age as China gets some nice techs and cards there(factory from consulate,Old han reforms and westernization)

-Put ur Qiang pikemen into cover mode when facing ranged attacks,this will make them last a little longer,also put your monk into covermode and mix him with the qiangs. The monk can soak up much damage

LAST NOTE: This guide is made by an 2 lt,so dont blame me if u loose

¨°ºO "All you big boys stay back and let me do my thaaaang"Oº°‘¨

[This message has been edited by ckei (edited 07-08-2009 @ 01:11 PM).]

Replies:
posted 03-21-09 05:57 PM EDT (US)     1 / 64  
Looks good! You might want to capatalise some things and add some adaptations for your rushes like you did for Russia after your old han rush. I like it.
posted 03-21-09 06:06 PM EDT (US)     2 / 64  
thx it is still not ready. I pushed the send new topic in accidentally :P

posted 03-21-09 09:14 PM EDT (US)     3 / 64  
nicely written good job!

QUACK
posted 03-21-09 10:29 PM EDT (US)     4 / 64  
Good.Helpful

Cash is the topic,the object a fatter pocket
Some take the crack and chop it
But those who don't have it don't take the added profit
It's catastrophic.

[This message has been edited by CripzFury (edited 03-21-2009 @ 10:39 PM).]

posted 03-21-09 10:29 PM EDT (US)     5 / 64  
Crazy lunatic why are you here? You don't even have TAD so I can't pwn you!

Anyway this guide is nice and comprehensive, but if you plan on submitting for points you might want to fix some of the images and also your spelling (though I really don't blame you; I see your from Finland). Also:

-you should mention that Old Han Reforms actually increases the unit costs by 50%
-china's villages cannot be a weakness, as IIRC they have twice the HP of a house, and can be upgraded.
-British Redcoats aren't your only choice to kill coyote runners; the German dopples are actually much better as anticav and are not really inferior. That's not to say that British consulate isn't great, though.
-British shipments are pretty much worthless; the only one I would go for is the petards but even those aren't so good compared to the hand mortars you could get.
-French units are actually quite good, but really no one uses them much because all they want are the 15 gendarmes. TBH Bonus really sucks.
- Also you should probably mention that like all asian cav, chinese heavy cavalry (except for meteor hammers) are only good agains RI, and fail against HI because of the lower base damage and multiplier to RI.
-Say something about mongolian scourge. It increases multipliers for three different cavalry units and is quite worthy of mention.
-Cho ko nu only fires 3 bolts
-The White Padoga increases the disciple limit to 11 (from 5)

Ok that's all for now , keep up the good work!
posted 03-21-09 10:39 PM EDT (US)     6 / 64  
Looks good! Implement the changes that Dopple said, and should fly by.

Proud winner of the FFA Winter Round '07!
[Judgε][Epic Thread]
My Vods:[One] [Two][Three][Four]
"with all the bling on a mandsabar you could win the game by paying the enemy to resign." IL
posted 03-22-09 00:25 AM EDT (US)     7 / 64  
Crazy lunatic why are you here? You don't even have TAD so I can't pwn you!
well that's why i should be here because i need to learn the basics of china so i can start owning with my first china game lol :P

QUACK
posted 03-22-09 00:55 AM EDT (US)     8 / 64  
When I get TAD, I'm playing China. Good Job on the guide ckei

"Rot's given a free pass simply because he's Rot." - theferret
posted 03-22-09 01:34 AM EDT (US)     9 / 64  
When I get TAD, I'm playing China. Good Job on the guide ckei
ya same here. I want to learn an asian civ, but since japan/india are lame china is the way to go

QUACK
posted 03-22-09 02:04 AM EDT (US)     10 / 64  
ya same here. I want to learn an asian civ, but since japan/india are lame china is the way to go
Well, I might try india and japan with the fp patch. I'm guessing since they got nerfed I won't be called a "lamer". Although it may still happen idk.

"Rot's given a free pass simply because he's Rot." - theferret
posted 03-22-09 03:32 AM EDT (US)     11 / 64  
Thx for comments.guys

And I will make those changes. BUT the village can be to an disadvantage when you really think about it. Have you ever lost one of your two villages before 6:10? I have and it was not fun having a 40/30 pop in early game,where you really need that pop. I will just put in a Note

edit: I thougth of putting an useful/commom card section in this guide. What do you think about that?

I will probably update it with 1.1Fp notes

[This message has been edited by ckei (edited 03-22-2009 @ 06:18 AM).]

posted 03-22-09 05:14 AM EDT (US)     12 / 64  
Nais guide, and a common card system or some basic chinese strats will make it perfect.

SUNIL IS NUB!!!

Battle.net:Bart (227)
ESO:Bart331
posted 03-22-09 12:25 PM EDT (US)     13 / 64  
I'd say village are pretty good, because China got at least 300 wood at start, so u can build one village and get 30 pop, while many euro civs only can get one house up (20 pop).
Then u got 100 spare wood so u only have to gather 100 wood during transaction for war academy.

GR account: Colonel Corrupt [£eg¡øn]

prowlers own,
and you call yourself a human???
Just another liberal "name caller" cause you HAVE NO FACTS
posted 03-22-09 01:04 PM EDT (US)     14 / 64  
ofc they are good. They give u 2 houses, an livestock penn and "bunker" for only 200 wood. I didnt say that they are bad or anything. But if you loose 1 it means that you loose 20 pop which is kind of bad especially in early game where China is almost all the time overpopulated

posted 03-22-09 01:11 PM EDT (US)     15 / 64  
Well tbh if you lose 2 houses early in the game as another civ it is just as bad, probably worse because you can't go temporarily over the pop limit by queing up more military units.
posted 03-22-09 01:33 PM EDT (US)     16 / 64  
well yes,but the other civs can build a house with 100 wood. China cant do that.

But lets just drop that discussion i dont see the idea of going any further in it

posted 03-22-09 02:42 PM EDT (US)     17 / 64  
nice guide. nicely done.

SC2: Valckrie.Incarnate {Add me!}
Fear is only a four-letter word. Why be afraid?

Guides:
BMS | British Guide | BHM | RSFF | Rec Games
posted 03-22-09 03:27 PM EDT (US)     18 / 64  
Yes, great guide!

Just one small thing:
The Meteor hammer has a better base attack than the iron flail.
You wrote that twice in your description about the Meteor hammer.

BTW, which is better, iron flair or meteor hammer?

"There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the thief
[TΣ]_Ha_Luke_331

"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
-Voltaire
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. " - Plato

[This message has been edited by Ha_Luke (edited 03-22-2009 @ 03:29 PM).]

posted 03-22-09 04:23 PM EDT (US)     19 / 64  
@Ha_Luke: Iron Flails are far better than Meteor Hammers. They are much more versatile, especially with the Mongolian Scourge card.

@ckei: Nice guide. The Consulate section is good, but I feel that Doppelsoldners are far better than you give them credit for. A small number of Dopps, mixed with Qiang Pikemen, will effectively destroy any Pikemen the opponent has built, usually to their surprise. Not many people actually notice 3-6 Dopps The Russians are also useful for their troops - Cossacks are quite powerful, and the Culverins are necessary in a Fortress game. Hand Mortars just can't quite replace them. The British 4 Spies upgrade has another bonus you didn't mention - they give you excellent LOS.

And I often use China's "most powerfullest" rush
posted 03-22-09 05:15 PM EDT (US)     20 / 64  
Well IMO both fortress heavy cav are quite expensive for what they do. But the meteor hammer is far more versatile, as it has a higher base damage and will even do decent against musks if your opponent forgets to put them in melee mode. Also Hand Mortar>>>>> Culv, but the Russian Cossacks are quite usefull in colonial since you don't have anything else to counter masses of RI other than the flimsy Steppes.
posted 03-23-09 11:57 AM EDT (US)     21 / 64  
I also think that meteorhammers are better than iron flails. Thanks for putting notice about that mistake b/c I didnt =P

and yeah I will put a note about the cossacks.

posted 03-23-09 12:08 PM EDT (US)     22 / 64  
@Ha_Luke: Iron Flails are far better than Meteor Hammers. They are much more versatile, especially with the Mongolian Scourge card.
But the meteor hammer is far more versatile,
I also think that meteorhammers are better than iron flails.
Hm, at least both are versatile. From MNBob unit charts:

MeteorHammer:
HP 217
RR Ranged-30%
Attack 29 (bonus vs artillery 2x)
Cost G-175

Iron Flail:
Hp 292
RR Ranged-30%
Attack 19 (area 1)
Cost F-240

Still hard to say which one is best.

"There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the thief
[TΣ]_Ha_Luke_331

"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
-Voltaire
"A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. " - Plato

[This message has been edited by Ha_Luke (edited 03-23-2009 @ 12:12 PM).]

posted 03-23-09 12:28 PM EDT (US)     23 / 64  
(though I really don't blame you; I see your from Finland)
That left me with a feeling that if you are finnish, you have bad english. That kind of offends me but i think you didnt mean it in a bad way.

Thanks for this ckei, very very nice guide!

[This message has been edited by MannisEi (edited 03-23-2009 @ 12:29 PM).]

posted 03-23-09 02:39 PM EDT (US)     24 / 64  
Well ha_luke it depends on the situation as I explained in the guide. Iron flails are good at ´taking down clumps of Ri( strelets for example) while Meteor hammers are better vs fewer and stronger units

Edit: Could someone please help me getting the spelling rigth. I tried to put it in Word but it doesnt work

[This message has been edited by ckei (edited 03-23-2009 @ 02:46 PM).]

posted 03-23-09 08:53 PM EDT (US)     25 / 64  
is your spell check in word on and set for English? It should point out the misspelled words.

QUACK
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Basics of china
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames