Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Chinese Confucian Confusion FF
posted 04-10-09 00:43 AM EDT (US)   
Chinese Confucian Confusion FF

The following is a strategy I developed to counter some strong booming civs in an attempt to work around China's weak colonial units. Don't get me wrong, a Chinese age II rush can be devastating, but it is also expected. This strategy relies heavily on your opponent misreading your intentions, so we want to make every effort to imply a rush, by leaving a few age age II military shipments in your deck, possibly even building a native tp before you age! This is best used against booming/defensive civs, although with some improvisation it can beat back a rush. Definitely not recomended vs. Russians or Germans unless you are positive they will FF too. Some inspiration for this strat came from "The China Mercenary Shipment Spam FF"

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=15,36538,,all

by Marneus Calgar, but there are some notable differences.

The Concept
The goal here is to exploit China's exceptional age III military shipments in a 'one slow push' attack. Ideally, the main attacking force should consist of:

8-18 arqubusiers (8 from age up wonder, 10 from card)
8+ redcoats/5+ young garde (from intervention/consulate)
4 iron flail (card)
5 meteor hammer (card)
9 iron troop (card)
1 flying crow (wonder)

Realistically, you may want to begin attacking much earlier than this whole force is assembled once a weakness has been detected. I meerly show this list to indicate what type of army I am tying to field.

Here is my deck:
(deck image coming soon)

Required Cards

Trade Empire
Sumptuary Laws
700 Coin
8 Cho Ko Nu
Diplomatic Intrigue
10 Arqubusiers
4 Iron Flails
5 Meteor Hammers
Intervention
9 Ming Iron Troop

Reccomended Cards

Villager Cards; Northern Refugees, etc,
Double Faced Armor
Repelling Volley
1000 Coin
10 Rattan Shields
Customize to your liking...

You will notice the inclusion of a few age II military cards. They are there mostly to contribute to the confusion, although if you experience an unexpected rush/heavy raiding you may have to play one or more of them. If it is an LI*/cav raid, the rattan shields can be useful as they are very fast, good vs archers/skirms, will at least break even with cav and can chase fleeing untis quite effectively. If it is HI/cav or HI/LI* intent on TC/wonder destruction, you will need to get more creative. I would probably send the 8 Cho Ko Nu, sandwich them between some buildings or trees for cav protection, maybe call sentries/irregulars and hold on for dear life. Note that under this circumstance I would have likely already begun construction of my age III wonder, and that its completion is my main concern. When those 8 arq's pop out beside a weakened-from-sieging age II army, they can make quite a mess.

The (ideal) B/O

Discovery age
4 vills to food, rest on crates, build one village DEFENSIVELY (ie, at the side or rear of your town amongst berries or next to a mine). ALL VILLS TO FOOD. Treasure hunt (food, xp, coin are priorities). First card played is Trade Empire. Build on closest trade route site. If there are no trade sites, build on closest native site (for extreme confusion), or send sumptuary laws if you know you will not use the natives or their techs . Maintain constant vill production. Age up with Porcelain Tower wonder (3 or 4 vills building). Build this DEFENSIVELY (ie behind your town, ideally at the edge of the map or adjacent an obstruction to make it harder to siege. Keep cueing villagers. If you can keep constant vill production, you will age a bit slower, but you will break even pop-wise with civs that send 3 vill card. New vills will come out onto the closest mine.

Colonial Age
Leave Porcelain Tower on its default (trickles of all). Continue gathering food with 9-10 vills. Continue cueing vills until you have 17-18. Gather at least 300 coin then switch all vills to food. It is of course important to herd your hunts well. If my second hunt is far off, I will likely send 1 or 2 villagers to begin herding and hunting, but I often just go straight to the berries to save walking time and have less exposure to raiding. First card is 700 coin. Collect the coin, you should have 17-18 vills and close to the age up costs. Don't be afraid to eat your goat if you are just short on food. Age up with The Confucian (confusion?) academy (4-6 vills building). Once you have started aging, cue villagers until there are 21. That means once the 8 arq's arrive you will be at 29/30 pop, therefore able to take your first military shipment. You should have one shipment available thanks to the TP, so save it for your first one in Fortress.

Fortress Age
The enemy is now a little surprised by your age-up time and likely to attack. Keep your arq's in your base, and if an attack comes do not engage immediately, garrison vills as necessary and let the TC do some damage. Decide what shipment would best compliment your arq's based on scouting. If he is HI heavy switch more vills to gold and try to ship 9 Iron Troop first. If he is cav heavy, gather enough wood for a consulate, choose British Allies, buy redcoats, and ship Intervention for more Redcoats. In most situations I would ship 4 iron flails as they are a great LI* counter. You will need to begin wood gathering so that you can build villages to support the influx of military and to make sure you are not housed when the first flying crow is ready. Now, go freestyle it, but be quick about it!

Now for what seems like back-tracking:

Get creative with the consulate! If I had my third shipment available well before I hit fortress, I sometimes send diplomatic intrigue, which gets you 300 export. Build a consulate, ally French, and once the age III wonder is paid for, build a market, research civil cervants, eastern medecine, and one more specific upgrade of your choice, switch export to 10%. This will get you access to the Gendarme/Young Garde for 800 export quite quickly in fortress. Once you have the Gendarmes, end relations, Brit Allies, intervention! You now have HP Boosted French grens and cav and a Redcoat meatshield for the arq's/iron troops.
Or, if he is turtling with walls, towers, castles, etc., ally French as described above, but don't kick them out. Buy the grens for 400 export once you have the arq's, and ship intervention for more grens and start blowing stuff up.

Be aggressive but conservative. Timing is everything with an FF, so make sure you are in the right place at the right time. You will not have the eco or ability to replace troops quickly, so battles must be decisive wins. If all you see is 15 ashi/musks guarding an FB, by all means go pick a few off, but dont be afraid to pull back to the base until you have a more well rounded force. Once you have that flying crow, his cav will be concentrating on it, so you should be able get away with a LI*/Cav combo with the cav acting as anti-cav if necessary. The Iron Flail/Meteor Hammer combo seems to do well against other hand cav, as the flails up front do splash damage, and the meteor hammers at the back can hit the enemy cav from behind the flails without having to try to run around (wasting time with pathing problems) until they can gt a hit.

Once you hit age III and begin spamming shipments, try to stabilize your eco. Consider a market for woodcutting upgrades, so you can start putting villages all over the place once you have map control. Then if you have exhausted your millitary shipments, send the age I vill card, to get a nice boost. You should now have the eco and pop space to start locally producing China's great age III armies. I tend to favour the arq/flail or flail/hammer armies.

If you have really contained the enemy force, stunted his eco, but can't break through, consider aging up with the Temple of Heaven for more villagers, then take the age IV vill/goat card for a huge eco boost.

I have not won a game that got to age IV with this strat, but with it I have beaten Japanese(up to MstSerg), Dutch, a Brit (1st liuet) and even pulled through a couple Sioux rushes (one 2nd lieut) although those had to be improvised extensively!.

Here are a couple of reasons to ship Trade Empire:
The resource value is actually high for an age I shipment. The TP alone is worth 250, plus it builds itself quickly saving villager or monk seconds. Your monk is a very effective treasure gatherer and I don't like tying him up that early, nor do I want to gather the wood required to build it. Plus, tp's have more hp and are cheaper now. The influx of xp from the tp allows me to get my first age III combo quicker in my experience, then our xp dependence can turn to combat once we have a unit combo that is effective.

Here are a couple of reasons to ship trade empire when there are only native sites accessible:
It implies (falsely) a native rush and your opponent will likely produce counters to the units this post could build. Don't build the natives, but ship the counter to their counter first thing in age III (example:Honshu, Zen tp makes Sohei, basically a pike, he likely builds archer/skirm, you don't build Sohei, but ship Iron Flails). Later, if you still have the TP, build the natives when/if it seems that they might effectively round out your force. Sometimes, just the confusion of the native site being up so soon will distract the enemy from your actual intentions (FF). Sometimes just one tech added to this distraction can be quite beneficial if you plan for them (sufi villager hp down gather up tech, zen xp tech, Jesuit gunpowder unit siege tech, carib archer combat tech which affects Cho Ko Nu and Iron Troops).

I hope someone out there can have some fun with this. Any feedback would be much appreciated, I will gladly edit it if anyone finds a way to fine tune it, or make it viable for higher level players than myself.

Here is one rec of me winning with this strat vs a Serg. playing Japanese. Observe my consulate use and comment if you like (sloppy?/creative?).
http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=2400

If you are around my level (not that high), feel free to add me on ESO (ChrisTheMean) and we'll have a game (I won't be able to use this strat though!). My current pr is 18, elo is 1750ish.

Enjoy!

[This message has been edited by christhemean (edited 04-10-2009 @ 08:02 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04-10-09 06:19 AM EDT (US)     1 / 13  
Seems pretty solid, but I seem to remember when trying things out with china that you need the 400 food on age up, but it's worth testing.

Also, at least on native only maps, I would suggest in discovery you put a couple of vills on wood to build 2 houses and ship the 3 vills card. Also you want to have the hand mortars shipment in your deck to force your opponent out when you have the advantage/to counter 2 falcs if they FF too.

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
posted 04-10-09 12:38 PM EDT (US)     2 / 13  
Great Idea, FF's sponsored with a trade route have to potential to be really powerful.

A couple things though. That strat iirc, was written back in 1.00 where china was a top civ and could FF without the 400 food wonder. That was due to disciples being extremely powerful for their cost. Also, chinese FF's really kind of lack against super fast rushers: ottos, russians, iro etc. Until you get that consulate, you will have no anti cav, unless you ship manchu instead of iron troops.

I guess this is more targeted towards a boomer or some kind of defensive play, because sending diplomatic intrigue would do you absolutely no good with troops seiging you consulate/TC while you are aging. Flying crows, IMO, are train too slow to be worth the wonder. I think the disciple wonder would be a good idea, it makes your monk really annoying in melee, along with disciples. I have not tried the heal wonder, but it might be a good idea if you are using your mercs as the backbone of your army.

What would you do against another FF just curious? A dutch would most certainly cannon spam, and a french would cuir spam. I guess the hand mortar card would be good there. Agains a cuir spam, in my experience, keshiks and qiangs suck, because you haven't upgraded them. Chang daos can cut it, but with banner armies, you can never produce as much as you need without getting other units.

Cool idea for strat though, better than mine. Using the trade empire would really put this in play.

Need a quick way to get laid? Chaplain gives you results.
"Screw me if I'm wrong, but haven't we met?"
"Damn girl, you have more curves than a race track."
"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that name tag was in Braille."
"If I were you, I would have sex with me."
3 reasons I am the sexxyest forumer: Raiding Cav... - China Merc... - Aztecian coloni... <-- howzat?
posted 04-10-09 04:54 PM EDT (US)     3 / 13  
Oh and you definately want manchus in your deck because china's anti-cav isn't really good enough and manchus can make up for it.

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
posted 04-10-09 07:59 PM EDT (US)     4 / 13  
Thanks for the feedback guys.

@Marneus
Vs another FF I have not encountered much yet, but as for Dutch falc spam, Flail/Hammer combo is deadly as they have decreased pathing problems due to the hammer's ranged melee. Cuir spam could be a problem, but that usually takes a while. I would try to force him to go dragoon, again with flail/hammer attacking inf, while recoat/arq/iron troop wait for the anti-cav. I agree that China's versatility can be their downfall against one-unit spammers, but you have to try to force him to make what you want him to make. Re: disciple wonder; I want to use it, but they are just not strong enough right now. Regarding rushers, I have a completely different strat that involves low vill fast age, defend at home while raiding type thing for those types. Definitely no FF there. The heal wonder (Temple of Heaven) would be good in any age other than Fort with this. If you have free vills showing up at 8:30 instead of the arq's, I don't see it working unless you try to FI, but I don't see much point to that. Maybe use for colonial wonder? It would boost your eco, but if vills have to garrison, that's where the porcelain tower and sumptuary laws pay off as they continue to gather whether you are attacked or not, which can help in a defensive ff.

@Lord_Richjp
I don't really care to use the hand mortars personally. They are weak vs inf compared to other art., and die way too quickly to cav. If i need to 'force him out', I find the consulate grens much more versatile for this, as they are effective vs inf if well microed, have good siege and good ranged resist and high hp.
posted 04-10-09 08:00 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13  
I don't really care to use the hand mortars personally. They are weak vs inf compared to other art., and die way too quickly to cav. If i need to 'force him out', I find the consulate grens much more versatile for this, as they are effective vs inf if well microed, have good siege and good ranged resist and high hp.
they are to counter the falcs you will be sure to come up against facing another FF.

3 reasons I am the sexxyest forumer: Raiding Cav... - China Merc... - Aztecian coloni... <-- howzat?
posted 04-11-09 07:39 AM EDT (US)     6 / 13  
Grens are pretty sucky atm, their main disadvantage over hand mortars is their lack of range - and they also wont beat the 2 falcs shipment in an FF which the hand mortars do no problem. Taking out cannons with cav can be possible but often they're well defended and you lose a lot killing the falcs.

posted 04-11-09 07:42 AM EDT (US)     7 / 13  
China begins the game with three wood crates. Due to the effect of Trade Empire, especially if you can find a Wood treasure, you should consider building two TP's in Age I, rather than just one. That will give you twice as much fuel for your military. Don't use that card for a native TP, unless it's something VERY useful (e.g. Comanche, Mapuche, etc...) It's better to send 3 Vills with the traditional discovery age (I know, I don't like it either) or even Sumptuary Laws than to waste your first card on something that won't help your strategy.

You might want to send 10 Steppe Riders instead of 5 Meteor Hammers. They counter Skirms much better. And the Consulate should be either Britain or Germany. Grenadiers do nothing to protect your army from cav. Picture your army facing an Ottoman Spahi FF - 8 Spahis, two Falcs, and about 10 Jannissaries. Make your deck flexible (7 Hand Mortars, 9 Manchu, 11 Changdao, etc.) I've been trying to use basically this strategy for quite a while now. Nice work
posted 04-11-09 09:46 AM EDT (US)     8 / 13  
Let me start off by saying that the title of that strategy is kick-ass.
posted 04-11-09 02:33 PM EDT (US)     9 / 13  
Let me start off by saying that the title of that strategy is kick-ass.
It sounds like an 70's kung-fu movie.
It's better to send 3 Vills with the traditional discovery age
China does not get a 3 vill card. You have to build two villages, then send the refugee card to get 3 vills.

posted 04-11-09 03:21 PM EDT (US)     10 / 13  
That's a fairly standard start; you only have to gather 100 wood

posted 04-11-09 03:38 PM EDT (US)     11 / 13  
That's a fairly standard start; you only have to gather 100 wood
Seems like too many resources wasted on chopping the 100 wood in discovery.

That's why I just build one house and ship either 300 wood or 300 food.

"Rot's given a free pass simply because he's Rot." - theferret

[This message has been edited by Droideka_11 (edited 04-11-2009 @ 03:39 PM).]

posted 04-11-09 06:44 PM EDT (US)     12 / 13  
@ Rizing_Phoenix

Thanks for the wood treasure/2nd tp idea. I don't know why I didn't consider that. As for the otto spahi FF, that could be one of the more difficult match-ups. The Manchu may be the way to go for the spahis (I don't want to think about trying to hit and run spahi with keshik!), arq's to counter jans and flail/hammer or hand mortars for falcs. I only just got my Chinese HC to lvl 40, so I will experiment with the german allies. The dopps could be handy anti cav if conserved, and the cheaper armies could be very handy once we transition from shipped units to locally produced ones. Also, steepes may technicaly counter skirms better by the numbers, but I find a flail/hammer combo to but much more efficient due to the pathing issues of cav. Imagine the Dutch player with skirms sanwiched between houses, outposts, etc, and trying to get the steepes in to get their job done. Out in the open however, the steepes can force all or most of the skirms into melee, but most players will not leave skirms exposed like this. I like 'swarming' in age 2 with Chinese, but I think tight, efficient groups are the way to go in fortress.

Keep 'em coming guys, I'm learning a lot from these comments!

ESO:ChrisTheMean
N3O Clan Website
Of myChinese Confucian Confusion FF MarneusCalgar said, "It sounds like an 70's kung-fu movie." And it is.

[This message has been edited by christhemean (edited 04-13-2009 @ 11:56 PM).]

posted 04-11-09 09:30 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13  
Seems like too many resources wasted on chopping the 100 wood in discovery.
You can make up for the time because you can continue making vills while aging up. More efficient in the long run.

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Chinese Confucian Confusion FF
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames