Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A Spain ATP Rods Semi FF for Mongolia on the Fanpatch
posted 07-28-09 11:44 AM EDT (US)   
Hi guys,

I never really play spain, so I thought I'd just post this build order and you guys let me know what you think.

Thoughts:
• why a semi FF?
they just seem to work somehow. Having a small force is usually enough to scare your opponent away from your base. Getting up earlier than him can give you the technological edge to win the game.

• why use spain?
I'm trying to benefit from all their advantages.
- their faster shipments allow us to send ATP as second card in discovery age.
- their wardogs can help repell a rush, while we are semi-ffing
– the early wardog can help us scout

• why use rods?
they are fast. I want to use this as a raiding force. I didn't want to do this strat with hussars, as they cost a lot more ressources, and I feel rods, with their high melee resistance, and their ability to force any unit into melee, can deal with any early rush if you send MM.
One can do this strat with muskets too, it's basically the same build. I prefer rods though, because you can raid well, and keep the opponent on his toes.

• why only do it on Mongolia?
mongolia is great for this strat for 4 reasons:
- with our extra wardog we can scout faster = we get more cows than the opponent
- the 5000 gold mine takes very long to run out = safer base
- the traderoute is one of the best in the game, and it is not in the way while fighting. So chances are, your TPs will actually stay alive.
- the treasures on mongolia are nice. you have both really small and cheap 50 wood treasures, as well as the big cav upgrade treasures. With your wardog you will have no problem getting the smaller ones, which really add up.

This might work just as well on New England or Sonora, however the seclusive place of the trade route on Mongolia is certainly the best one (and it gathers the most res/min)

• why use the Fanpatch?
cause it's awesome

Ok, deck:
[OCTET-STREAM, (511.47 KB)]

The Build order:

Discovery age:
• pre game micro is important here. Task 4 vills (2 each) on 2 food crates, 2 vills shoot the nearest hunt. Explorer kills nearest treasure guardian and gets the mongolian scout asap. wardog goes scouting.
• try to find as many cows as possible. Unfattened they are still like a free treasure! If you see the enemy explorer seeing cows back to his base harass him and see whether his micro is up to it!
• get all the treasures you can find. Even if the treasure sucks, the killing XP can get you your first shipment easily 30 sec earlier!
• task 4 vills on 1 cow and eat all of them (shift click your way through all our cows, make sure you move them to the gathering vills beforehand, so your vills don't waste VS walking from one cow to the next. You can even kill the cows with the delete key, this saves you the killing animation). Start eating cows as soon as you get them
• 3 vills as first card (1:08 min)
• age up with the tower + 200 gold with 15 vills (2:40 min)

Transition:
• send advanced trade posts ASAP (2:59 min). Make sure your explorer is waiting at the most left tradepost to start building right away (if you didn't get enough extra XP this may change. Hint: if you start building the TP when the wagon is right at the TP you'll get it about right. You can scout with your dog and mongolian scout where the wagon is, and build the right TP accordingly)
• put 3 vills on food, rest on wood
• you want to have 450 wood before you age up for 1 rax, a second house (=30 pop) and 1 ATP
• once you have the wood put 3 vills on gold (this is treasure dependant too, just take care of your stockpile) rest on food. Make sure you don't gather more wood than you need.

Colonial age: (4:15 min)
• send 700 wood as first card.
• build a barracks, and start queueing rods.
5 rods @ 5:05
10 rods @ 5:35.
• go raiding with your rods asap
• once the wood arrives build 2 more ATPs, research stage coach and make 2 more houses
• send 700 gold next. This will get you faster to fortress.
• once stage coach is researched put it on food to click the age up button ASAP.
• send 600 wood.

The eco age up: (7:40 min)
• age up with the 5 vills politician.
• put all TPs on wood, keep an even settler allocation on f/g
• once the wood arrives, build the 4th TP, another rax, a stable, a market and get the first and second tier upgrades
• you have more shipments to spare. Send your villager cards!

Fortress age: (9:10 min)
• your eco will be amazing. You have sent all the vill cards, you aged up with 5 vill, have all the market techs and you have 4 stage coach TPs.
• send military card, get your raxes and stable pumping (your eco is so strong, you can keep them both going non stop)

The military age up:
• age up with the 4 hussars
• put all TPs on wood, keep an 3/1 settler allocation on f/g
• start spamming rods
• once the 600 wood arrives make another rax, a stable and houses
• keep making houses while the wood trickles in
• make sure you have an extra 200 wood when you arrive in fortress, you want to research veteran rods

Fortress age:
• send 8 rods followed by 2 falcs
• research veteran rods
• make lanciers
• attack with your rods, lanciers+hussars, 2 falcs force

Pros:
• your eco is simply amazing. 4 TPs and the 4+5 vill cards really rock
• this is very versatile once stagecoach is researched. You can quickly adapt to anything the opponent throws at you

Cons:
• you HAVE to be adaptive. Don't just strictly follow this build order and complain you when you don't even make it to fortress. Doing the semi FF is the best case scenario. If the opponent is aggressive you will have to adapt to what he's doing. However, when the raiding rods are used correctly, you can postpone his attacks quite nicely.
• anything reasonable you tell me. I don't have much experience with spain. I just thought this strat might work on this specific map.

okay, have fun and tell me what you think.

cheerio

EDIT:
I added some age up times. I also changed the strat slightly. Going for 3 TPS (instead of 4) early is better, as you get to fortress much faster. Sending 600 wood (instead of vill shipments) is helpful too, as you will need the wood, and won't have to gather wood.

[This message has been edited by mathemagician198 (edited 10-25-2009 @ 09:35 AM).]

Replies:
posted 07-28-09 05:51 PM EDT (US)     1 / 21  
sounds nice, i like rods a lot XD

QUACK
posted 07-28-09 06:01 PM EDT (US)     2 / 21  
Times and villager count?

1st Leiut. with Russia , Master Sergeant with everything else.
My skill level is incalculable!!! Its been forever since I played seriously...
Mike Sass: Culverins are like Garrichistos, only theyre cannons.
posted 07-29-09 03:10 AM EDT (US)     3 / 21  
okay, I'll revise this a little. add times, vill count, a deck picture, etc.
posted 07-29-09 08:28 AM EDT (US)     4 / 21  
Rods are good, but it seems for the prices, a few less hussar/lancers would do the job just as well and kill villagers at a higher rate.

Veni, Vidi, Vici
Trample the Weak - Hurdle the Dead!
"It's kind of a...persnickety magic." Atzy
End of Nations!
End of Nations Community Manager
posted 07-30-09 01:53 AM EDT (US)     5 / 21  
I agree with the above although this sounds like a very viable strat which I would try if I played spanish .
Although you need to take into account the other civs that have extra scouts early too (Japs, French even India (not as bad considering the elephants are slow) so you would have to kill them quickly enough with your war dog hoping he doesn't get as many cows as you!

Every new beginning come’s from another beginnings end
posted 07-30-09 02:07 AM EDT (US)     6 / 21  
Rods kill vills better than Lancers

Rushing With France
the french ar general an bad civ. bcause they know what the enemy can do!
as an french u must luck that u have more crossbows then pikes. pikes ar only for buildings or cav. the deck should have in 3 hussars. thats the way to winning! a nother good card is 700 wood and 700 food. have fun by capture the enemy -Loessli
posted 07-30-09 07:35 AM EDT (US)     7 / 21  
4 age up hussars kill villies better than lancers or rods

Also are you sure there's a 5 villie age up politician?
posted 07-30-09 08:12 AM EDT (US)     8 / 21  
Also are you sure there's a 5 villie age up politician?
On FP yes, not on ES
'A Spain ATP Rods Semi FF for Mongolia on the Fanpatch'
Cool strat, rods are fun, but kind of limited in use. As raiders they wont kill much, but they will cause idle time while you boom. I love that mongolia trade route too! The only problem I see would be someone harassing you early with xbow/strel/etc as rods kind of suck vs them.

ESO:ChrisTheMean
N3O Clan Website
Of myChinese Confucian Confusion FF MarneusCalgar said, "It sounds like an 70's kung-fu movie." And it is.

[This message has been edited by ChrisTheMean (edited 07-30-2009 @ 08:18 AM).]

posted 07-30-09 04:11 PM EDT (US)     9 / 21  
Rods can beat xbows or strelets as long as there aren't many.
posted 07-30-09 06:01 PM EDT (US)     10 / 21  
Rods can beat xbows or strelets as long as there aren't many.
no not really

QUACK
posted 07-30-09 07:00 PM EDT (US)     11 / 21  
Because of their speed they force them into close combat + rods can run away from them quickly if there are more than like, 6-7.
posted 08-10-09 11:19 PM EDT (US)     12 / 21  
Theoretically, could this strat work on any map that has TP's? I mean, obviously it's best on mongolia, but it seems like you could do this BO on any map with 2-3 TP's that are contested/in your control, with just a few adaptations.

Also, might it be a good idea to send the covered wagon card after 8 rods/2 falcs to get map control and an even stronger eco? I tend to think that if you managed to get all of the TP's, capitalizing on the map control and eco bonus that they already grant you with the free 2nd TC might help push the opponeny back. Plus, obviously, you'd build the third TC. Or is it more beneficial to switch more villes to wood from gold and instead of spending gold to make units, you use your shipment that would be the wagon as a military shipment and simply build TC's 2 and 3 with the explorer?

Just a few thoughts, great job though Hastings.

GR acc name: Ultraviolet [£eg‘ψn]
'hey l0bst0r3r!! r u j3w!sH ?? c@n U t3LL m3 wH3r3 t0 g3t s0m3 k0sH0r r3c!p3s?
i l!k3 k0sh0r f00d th3r3's a j00ish r3st4ur4nt 4r0uNd t3h c0rn0r but it's s0 3xp3ns!v3'
-l33th4x0r
posted 08-11-09 00:57 AM EDT (US)     13 / 21  
I never understand why people ever use the 1 TC wagon card, it's a total waste no offence... you can send 1000 wood which give's you enough wood for a 2nd TC plus an extra 400 wood for upgrading units to veteran or even getting a foundry up etc. 1000 wood shipment outweighs the 1 TC card massively IMO

posted 08-11-09 01:15 AM EDT (US)     14 / 21  
None taken =p

Yeah, now that I think about it, you're right, 1000 wood is pretty much always better than TC wagon. So the question becomes, is it better to send a millitary shipment for your third fortress shipment and put a lot of villes on wood, or send 1000 wood and put more villes on food/gold while making units at rax/stable?

GR acc name: Ultraviolet [£eg‘ψn]
'hey l0bst0r3r!! r u j3w!sH ?? c@n U t3LL m3 wH3r3 t0 g3t s0m3 k0sH0r r3c!p3s?
i l!k3 k0sh0r f00d th3r3's a j00ish r3st4ur4nt 4r0uNd t3h c0rn0r but it's s0 3xp3ns!v3'
-l33th4x0r
posted 08-11-09 01:35 AM EDT (US)     15 / 21  
If it was me I would probably send 1000 wood to furthur strengthen your eco as the benefit is larger but obviously if your in a very intense game & your oppenent pressuring you quie a lot & your army isn't standing up quite as well as you'd like then another military shipment wouldn't hurt considering that the next shipment come's very quickly.

posted 08-11-09 08:20 AM EDT (US)     16 / 21  
I never understand why people ever use the 1 TC wagon card, it's a total waste no offence... you can send 1000 wood which give's you enough wood for a 2nd TC plus an extra 400 wood for upgrading units to veteran or even getting a foundry up etc. 1000 wood shipment outweighs the 1 TC card massively IMO
tc wagon should be in pretty much every deck. its sort of an emergency card you can always rely on when you lose your explorer AND your tc to the enemy. 1000 wood wont be of much use cuz vills cant make tc, and your explorer is guarded by the enemy.

I no longer play aoe3 actively. In fact, I no longer play any video game. That's how lame I've become.
skype - pramit57
"Life is a void and void is truth"
posted 08-11-09 09:09 AM EDT (US)     17 / 21  
I think if you lose your explorer and your TC you're already dead. And also for asian and natives civs, there's no contest between 1k wood and tc
posted 08-11-09 11:15 PM EDT (US)     18 / 21  
doplesaurus has it spot on if you've lost your TC & your explorer then the game has been decided whilst your waiting to build a tower to even ship the TC wagon your opponent is just strengthening his eco even more so your never going to get back into the game..

Furthur more if you watch any expert records or even PR 34+ records from agesanc you will NEVER see this card which is because technically it's useless, if you have this card in your deck just for an emergency it's a total waste of a card which could be better used on military/resource cards..

From where I see it there is no logic to picking this card over 1000w unless someone can change my mind?

posted 08-16-09 08:24 AM EDT (US)     19 / 21  
EDIT: I have added a deck, age up times and I have refined the strategy a little (3 early TPS inseatd of 4, make it safer and the eco is still strong).
posted 08-16-09 09:57 AM EDT (US)     20 / 21  
Rods, however good they are melιe , by themselves they would die to a Dopple/xbow combo, simply cuz the dops take the hit, while the xbows slowly eliminate the rods. Along with china old Han rush would kill off the semi ff simply cuz you can't force the ckns into melιe mode near as well. So unless there is big skill dif, I don't see this working on anyone with decent hand infantry

DISTISOP
ESO: Blitzkrieg_Mario
Prefered civs: Hell, I like them all.
Rank: TWC PR 18 (master sergeant) TAD PR 17, Vanilla PR 12

Clan: Triple Entente
Favorite games: Dofus, AoE 3, Tremulous, CoD 4, SSBB, Urban Terror
posted 08-16-09 10:39 AM EDT (US)     21 / 21  
the idea of your rods isn't winning any fights. You will use them to raid your opponent non stop. Good thing about rods is, that they can run away from anything that might beat them. Of course, in order to work you have to be aggressive and raid him from the moment you have rods.

If he ignores your raids and goes for your town instead, you'll have to adapt of course, but that can be said for any strategy.
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » A Spain ATP Rods Semi FF for Mongolia on the Fanpatch
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames