Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Russian WAR
posted 11-28-09 09:08 PM EDT (US)   
The Russian WAR, or White Army’s Revenge

Yes, this is a strategy for Russia, developed from the precursors of Lord_Sami’s strategy for a more desirable and planned outcome. But I’m sure you’re asking…

What is the White Army? Well, the White Army was the Red Army’s opposition in Russia’s Civil War. The White Army lost the war and… something happened. Anyways, the importance is that the Russian Cossacks were a part of this “White Army”. As you probably have just guessed, this is a very unexpected Russian Strategy, but still just as viable as the rest. It is the Cossack Start.

What is Cavalry? is probably what most of the Russian players reading this are asking. Not many people base an army off of Cossacks right at the start of Colonial. But why not? Not realizing this as an option really cuts down on Russian options, which is my goal to expand. If you have read the mathematics of my other strategy, the Musket Cossack Rush, you know that Cossacks are quite potent cavalry, and can be abused. So, on to the cards.

Necessary Cards
Distribivutism
5 Cossacks
4 Cossacks
13 Strelets
700 Food
700 Gold
Boyars

Recommended Cards
2 Falconets
Strelet Combat
Refridgeration
1000 Wood
Land Grab
Factories
Forts & National Redoubt
Infantry Training Cards
Schooners

The Build Order

Discovery Age
You know, the usual, 14 villager age-up (can be 17 against some civilizations depending on personal preference), first card Distribivutism, age with the 400 Wood politician. If you are unsure of exactly what to do early game, take a look at MrMilo’s Early Game Guide. You can see him perform some of the tricks that will make you age up faster by maximizing your villagers efficiency. As for treasures, look for all of them, really. I’m one of those people who will get any treasures that I find, providing they are not like a 1 Wolf or 2 Sheep treasure. All treasures are helpful though. Make sure to scout a place for your FB too, just remember not to make it too forward, as you won’t be starting with a blockhouse this time around.

Transition
Well, what do you want to have by the time you age up? For this strategy you want a batch of villagers queued up, 300 Wood, and a start to an even income of Food and Gold. Why villagers? Obvious. Why 300 Wood? Not so obvious. 300 + 400 = 700 Wood. That’s a lot of wood. Now it’s obvious we want a stable as soon as we age up. That’s 200. We will also want 3 houses, another 300. 200 left over. 200 plus Distribivutism’s unpredictability gives us 250 by the time the crates are gathered. This will be used to build a blockhouse, which will we get to later. So, what I like to do, is stick a large amount of villagers on wood just upon clicking Age-Up, maybe 9. Have them gather until you hit about 250, which should be about halfway until the Age-Up is complete, maybe less depending on starting wood crates. Distribivutism should make up the difference. While your villagers are walking to/from the wood, have a villager build a house. Now, you should only need 200 Wood upon Age-Up. Try to get as close to this number as possible. It may take a bit of practice, as I usually don’t realize the exact rate of Distribivutism’s Wood generation. Now you’ll also want that villager batch. Keep the other 5 villagers on food. Surprisingly, you should reach the two totals at around the same time. Afterwards, switch about 7/8 villagers to Gold, and the rest to food. Try to keep a little more Food than Gold. Send 3 villagers forward to build the stable, and keep those 3 villagers as Gold/Food villagers until the Age-Up.

Colonial Age
Make a stable and send 5 Cossacks ASAP. Gather your wood. Make 2 houses and a blockhouse. Make the blockhouse a little behind your stable in hope that your opponent won’t scout it. Once your stable is completed, queue as many Cossacks as possible. It may be a little difficult to get 5 out, or maybe it’s just my terrible eco-macro. 4 will do fine. Once you get these out and together with your shipped Cossacks, begin raiding and harassing. If you see any small, unprotected groups of RI, don’t be skittish, take them out. Just watch out for minute men. Once your third shipment comes in, you should have a general idea of what you need. Your third shipment should be either 4 Cossacks or 700 Food. If you feel the extra Cossacks aren’t really necessary, go for the food for villagers. Villagers will be very hard to manage if you decide not to opt for 700 Food, so choose wisely. Regardless, keep the stable pumping Cossacks. Once you get out your second batch of Cossacks out, you can take some villagers off of Gold and put them onto Food. Now once that fourth shipment everything comes together. You have Cossacks in the high teens, an opponent with a startled eco and a HI heavy army, a shipment, about 100 Wood, about 20 spare population, and a couple hundred Food. Here comes the shank. Your opponent is hopefully suspecting more Cossacks, as anyone would be. But now, queue up a batch of Strelets and send 13 Strelets. So now, after exhausting all of your military shipments, you shove your true strategy in his face. Walk right into his base like a raid, but with the Strelets a bit behind. He should move any HI he has forward and once they reach range of your Strelets, you slaughter them. Simple as that. Now, hopefully, you will have most of your Cossacks and Strelets left. His military is practically reset. So you go in for the kill. Spam more Strelets or Cossacks into his base, and that’s GG.

When should I use this strategy?
Well, I find this strategy effective against Infantry Starts, most booms, and those “adaptable” strategies. Its effectiveness against FFs is yet to be determined. This strategy is NOT effective against other Cav Starts that involve unit shipments, like an 8 Hussar Start, because of Cossack TrainTime:Effectiveness Ratio, and Pike Rushes, since they have too much siege and counter your Cossacks. Otherwise, this strategy is pretty reliable.

Recorded Games
Russian Cossack Start - Lord_Sami v. Buenissimo. Effectivity? Eh. Does it show the BO in action? I would hope so, I haven't watched it yet...

Now, if you have a question, comments, or praise, throw it upon me!

1st Leiut. with Russia , Master Sergeant with everything else.
My skill level is incalculable!!! Its been forever since I played seriously...
Mike Sass: Culverins are like Garrichistos, only theyre cannons.

[This message has been edited by O_man0 (edited 11-29-2009 @ 03:11 PM).]

Replies:
posted 11-28-09 10:12 PM EDT (US)     1 / 18  
Always wanted to try a russian cossack start, but I'm not much of a russian player so I never got around to it.
So now, after exhausting all of your military shipments, you shove your true strategy in his face. Walk right into his base like a raid, but with the Strelets a bit behind. He should move any HI he has forward and once they reach range of your Strelets, you slaughter them. Simple as that. Now, hopefully, you will have most of your Cossacks and Strelets left. His military is practically reset. So you go in for the kill. Spam more Strelets or Cossacks into his base, and that’s GG.
I always find it funny when people say what the opponent will do when they make a strategy. Obviously you can't make only cossacks all game. And the second unit you put in should be the counter to the counter of your first unit (in this case strelets fill that role), but to assume massed HI is a different story.

ESO name: wonkwink
posted 11-28-09 10:17 PM EDT (US)     2 / 18  
most people go cav vs russia so will be doing cav vs cav starts at first most likely. That will be good for you at the start because you'll outmass with your 5 cossack shipment unless against germany who's 5 uhlan shipment will rape that

fun though, i like doing stuff like this Xd

QUACK
posted 11-28-09 10:28 PM EDT (US)     3 / 18  
^Now you're assuming what the opponent will do too. :P

ESO name: wonkwink
posted 11-28-09 10:37 PM EDT (US)     4 / 18  
Lol he has me though, I would cav start vs russia most of the time
posted 11-28-09 11:06 PM EDT (US)     5 / 18  
I would work pretty well against cav starts I guess, but if they have the 3 hussar or 5 uhlan card like you said, this won't be so hot.

Wonkwink, what you you make against pure cossacks

posted 11-28-09 11:26 PM EDT (US)     6 / 18  
Submitted to strelet Cossack rushing ehh? NVR forever

DISTISOP
ESO: Blitzkrieg_Mario
Prefered civs: Hell, I like them all.
Rank: TWC PR 18 (master sergeant) TAD PR 17, Vanilla PR 12

Clan: Triple Entente
Favorite games: Dofus, AoE 3, Tremulous, CoD 4, SSBB, Urban Terror
posted 11-28-09 11:49 PM EDT (US)     7 / 18  
Its technically a cossack strelet rush and its not a NVR since I queue a batch of villagers in the beginning

Thinking of a variation for a little better eco....

???15 Cossack 33 Strelets > 19 Cossacks 23 Strelets???

posted 11-29-09 00:30 AM EDT (US)     8 / 18  
^Now you're assuming what the opponent will do too. :P
indeed, but I believe that is a valid assumption since most people do tend to make cav vs russia XD
???15 Cossack 33 Strelets > 19 Cossacks 23 Strelets???
i'm thinking the first option is better in general, but depends on how much cav and *LI your opponent has

QUACK
posted 11-29-09 00:31 AM EDT (US)     9 / 18  
posted 11-29-09 07:33 AM EDT (US)     10 / 18  
More cossack = win. IF you have like around 20 strelets, you can kill enemy musks with ease Shipping boyars early is quite OP too, especially in russian mirrors.. After boyars shipment, cav beats musk nicely

Btw O_Man we talked about when to make the BH, i like to make it a bit later than straight after stables, but i tried "your way". Don't know if it worked very well or not, because i lost my FB shortly after (FB too far in a russian mirror ^^). From that experience you should build stable near your base, and the BH quite close, but the main thing is that it gives you more hunts.

I can post the rec, i played 1v1 unrated vs Buenissimo's brother who is a 1st liut. It was a GG.

And to the write-up and overall's, pretty nicely done. Only thing that bothers me was the lack of chapters, i myself like to keep it "clean" by having these short chapters. Then some space and new chapter. The BB coding helped a bit to read though

'09 Match Of Death Winner

My elorating

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. -Napoleon
posted 11-29-09 07:52 AM EDT (US)     11 / 18  
Onub if you read my post, it says that you've submitted to str/Cossack rushing, not nvr.

DISTISOP
ESO: Blitzkrieg_Mario
Prefered civs: Hell, I like them all.
Rank: TWC PR 18 (master sergeant) TAD PR 17, Vanilla PR 12

Clan: Triple Entente
Favorite games: Dofus, AoE 3, Tremulous, CoD 4, SSBB, Urban Terror
posted 11-29-09 08:11 AM EDT (US)     12 / 18  
This strat is better than NVR on several maps. Also, if you can counter the NVR successfully, WAR user has a great advantage over the NVR rusher. Russian mirrors are won by good defense (TC fire, mm) and cossack microing..

And hey, i got the rec posted, here's the link:

Russian Cossack Start

It's against a 1st liut, so yeah.. 1st liuts are won with better eco, and a bit of micro anyways GG, cossacks are OP.

'09 Match Of Death Winner

My elorating

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. -Napoleon
posted 11-29-09 09:42 AM EDT (US)     13 / 18  
I think cossack mass could do quite well vs hussar start, seeing as how 5 cossacks shipped +5 made could easily kill first batch of 5 hussar.
posted 11-29-09 01:55 PM EDT (US)     14 / 18  
I beat a Brit hussar start recently with this strat because of simple outmassing, and strelet-dickery to tell his musks to go home. He couldn't boom because of constant raiding and 2 caravel ship to mess up his fish boom. It was on Araucania so I got to try out the Polar Explorer card with much success, too.

IMO, it can definitely take on other cav starts.

ESO2: Kyle_The_Brave
Clan: Proud Officer of Trỉρℓε ΣņτễηţϠ, [TΣ]

"Why make your own inspirational quotes when you can just read the side of O_Man's Ssips juices?" - A wise prophet
"The best way to die is to spontaneously combust during a drum solo battle with Lars Ulrich" - The Blair
posted 11-29-09 02:32 PM EDT (US)     15 / 18  
It must be convenient being able to just yell at your brother in a 2v2 for a strat instead of having to use chat or whisper on ESO to kick someone or not
posted 11-29-09 05:12 PM EDT (US)     16 / 18  
This makes me wanna try Russia now. And the strategy was very well written, usually they are messy with horrible formatting and grammar. It annoys me to no end. Nice job!

Meh. I come and go I guess.
I no longer play on ESO. Just GameRanger.
Also playing Starcraft II Beta though.
My account name on SCII is Caiaphas.wisdom.
posted 11-29-09 07:41 PM EDT (US)     17 / 18  
@1x1: I guess, but I think powerful HI/Cav shipments would screw it over.

@Kyle: See its just the perfect shank

@Masquerade: Glad you like it. I see your in our clan and a noob If you want to learn Russia I wouldn't mind teaching you.

posted 11-29-09 09:22 PM EDT (US)     18 / 18  
pssshh, Bolsheviks kill Mensheviks, Is this the OP cav start Mr. Cummings?

ESO: Fuzzy044
YOU ARE SMALL!!!

1X1 is nice
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » The Russian WAR
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames