The Saloon (Off Topic)
Moderated by Maffia, Elpea, LordKivlov

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: U.N.: Israeli cluster bombs an 'outrage'
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 09-01-06 05:52 PM EDT (US)   

A cluster bomb in the yard of a house in the southern Lebanese village of Sultaniyeh.

Quote:

"It is an outrage that we have 100,000 unexploded bombs" in southern Lebanon that will take a year or two to clear, said Jan Egeland, the U.N. Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs.

"Every day people are killed and maimed," he added. "Civilians will die disproportionately" and more children than Hezbollah fighters will be killed, he charged.

Quote:

Saying that 90 percent of the cluster bombs that the Israel Defense Forces dropped on southern Lebanon fell in the last three days of the war, Egeland said, "We have to find out why," when Israel knew the conflict was coming to an end.

Source.

Discuss. What do you think- would Israel have used cluster bombs if it really wasn't intending to harm civilians- and more importantly- intending to make sure that the damage brought about this war would last for years? People are still dying by Israeli bombs in Lebanon.

Why would Israel drop all those cluster bombs in heavily civilian populated areas in the last day of the war?

[This message has been edited by Gaurdian_112 (edited 09-01-2006 @ 06:00 PM).]

Replies:
posted 09-01-06 06:18 PM EDT (US)     1 / 33  
Start your own ****ing news site or a blog or something.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
posted 09-01-06 06:22 PM EDT (US)     2 / 33  
That's kind of a good idea. But the debates here are so much fun.

Merkinball just reminds me of Ueriah so much. (Ueriah was my arch-debator back in EEH in the build-up to the Iraqi War).

Now discuss! I want to know what NotSpecified specifically has to say about cluster bombs.

I expect a turn-around argument where he just spouts anti-Hezbollah propaganda in order to turn attention away from the Cluster Bombs (something like 'so, hezbollah blows the shit out of civilians and they get no mention, but we use cluster bombs and we do? etc...).

I want to add that Cluster Bombs are biggie bombst that explode unleashing hundreds of tiny ones. Some 100,000 tiny bombs are spread throughout Southern Lebanon, and people- especially children- are dying by them everyday, even today, weeks after the actual war ended.

posted 09-01-06 06:37 PM EDT (US)     3 / 33  
Your threads suck ass

lol im jumby
posted 09-01-06 06:41 PM EDT (US)     4 / 33  
This is friday-Saturday, we Jews don't get newspapers yet.

And before I would put my opinion on this, I would like to get more information from Israeli and World news.
Or atleast... More facts. Before I can draw a conclusion.

My general opinion about cluster bombs, is that they should be mainly used in combat fields and open areas, to hit enemy's soldiers, and make them flee from a certain area. And the way bomblets work, also make him not come back to it again.

I do not think that using cluster bombs in towns is useful at all, and can only lead mostly to civilians death.

This may be a fact, 100,000 cluster bombs, but I'm yet to see a proof it was used on many towns and villages, so I would wait before drawing a conclusion from this.

If we used it on towns in masses, then I don't think we're any better than Hizballah in that catagory.

Clear your mind.
posted 09-01-06 07:58 PM EDT (US)     5 / 33  
KS and Jumbalaya: quit with the flaming.

All you do these days KS is flame and troll, you act above the law because you used to be a mod. It's getting really boring and is getting on my nerves.

[This message has been edited by NAT (edited 09-01-2006 @ 08:10 PM).]

posted 09-01-06 07:59 PM EDT (US)     6 / 33  
Besides guys, this really is a legitimate topic. I think we can expand on it a bit. We should really discuss the way nation-states are using weaponry that is intended to cause additional pain and suffering- like incediary bombs and cluster bombs.

Doesn't that make them just as bad as the terrorists?

posted 09-01-06 08:16 PM EDT (US)     7 / 33  
Hezbollah aren't terrorists. The U.S. says they are, but they aren't.. U.S. is kinda like nazi germany and the middle-east are our jews. (except they are fighting back)

hint hint* propoganda

lol im jumby

[This message has been edited by Jumbalaya (edited 09-01-2006 @ 08:57 PM).]

posted 09-01-06 08:51 PM EDT (US)     8 / 33  
ROFL, they must be freedom fighters then. What else can you call them?

I won a thread!
CROSS REMOVED BY REQUEST OF MODS
Blood weighs more than tears.
posted 09-02-06 00:16 AM EDT (US)     9 / 33  
quite frankly i lost any sense of compasion to the middle east (not including israil) a LONG time ago.

edit: nvm you did get a blog page, please keep all the news stoof limited to it though, if its not asking to much, because i'm tired of seeing the saloon filled with politics every third thread =\

Jesus loves me this i know.
for Chuck Norris tells me so!

[This message has been edited by lavamancer20 (edited 09-02-2006 @ 00:18 AM).]

posted 09-02-06 01:17 AM EDT (US)     10 / 33  
America did the same thing in Germany. The bombing of cities was to serve as a deterent to the future generations. Israel knew the war was going to end, and decided to make a point.

Who the **** gives a shit?

EDIT:
Serves the idiots right for picking a fight with the strongest nation in the region. Oops!

< Jarrod Nelson>
Nelson looks good in his pics - Gaurdian_112
Wow, Nelson's awfully cute... - HP Lovesauce
Thanks for ruining something that I've waited over 6 years for. - Redneck93
It might be a bit of an odd moment to say so, but I still think Nelson's smile is awesome. - Hnossa
THIS SIGNATURE IS A TESTAMENT TO MY VANITY

[This message has been edited by Admiral_Nelson (edited 09-02-2006 @ 01:18 AM).]

posted 09-02-06 01:32 AM EDT (US)     11 / 33  

Quote:

KS and Jumbalaya: quit with the flaming.
All you do these days KS is flame and troll, you act above the law because you used to be a mod. It's getting really boring and is getting on my nerves.

Apart from the fact that you fail to recognize that my post was neither a flame nor a troll at Guardian, but merely pointing out how he chooses to post news he reads on sites here everday, generally anti-US/Bush to generate pretty much the same debate again.

Apart from that, if I just flame and troll these forums, you haven't been reading the forums a lot.

Quote:

America did the same thing in Germany. The bombing of cities was to serve as a deterent to the future generations. Israel knew the war was going to end, and decided to make a point.

EDIT:
Serves the idiots right for picking a fight with the strongest nation in the region. Oops!

You are like getting worse than Guardian now...

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"

[This message has been edited by KS (edited 09-02-2006 @ 01:34 AM).]

posted 09-02-06 01:34 AM EDT (US)     12 / 33  

Quote:

My barber does. What happens if one of those disgusting things kill his mother? I do. I am sickened to see the lives of civillians trifled with as though they are merely something to be brutalised to demoralise. Cluster Bombs directed at civillians are as vile as anything Hezbollah or Hamas has done.

My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.
posted 09-02-06 07:13 AM EDT (US)     13 / 33  
Don't worry, belgian forces are coming to de-mine the grounds.

Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
posted 09-02-06 10:59 AM EDT (US)     14 / 33  

Quote:

Besides guys, this really is a legitimate topic. I think we can expand on it a bit. We should really discuss the way nation-states are using weaponry that is intended to cause additional pain and suffering- like incediary bombs and cluster bombs.
Doesn't that make them just as bad as the terrorists?

No... Your're thread is this: 'U.N.: Israeli cluster bombs an 'outrage'', isn't it just another nice way to say "The Israelis are just as bad or even worse than the so-called "terrorists" who are obviously freedom fighters, they fight against."

You never wanted to expand it on the general topic. If you did, you would show MORE examples in your main post. Things Germany, Russia, US, Japan and and and and, used.
But you didn't.

You focused this all on Israel. On cluster bombs. Just another way to show you point, Israel is a Terror State. If we are a Terror state, then so is the US, their revolution against the English? You can't say it was anything peaceful, or less bloody then whats going here.
France? 1789, that's another calm and peaceful revolution. Or when Germany occupied France, oh I bet the France was jolley and fat. They were, but they also took down German trains, and fought them.

Does that make them Terror States?
Now you will put the blame on Israel on Israel being a Terror state, not because it was illegaly founded through Terorrism (which is untrue too) you will blame it on its existance, through fighting enemies who provoked it all along.

Arabs kicked out of Israel? Arabic leaders called them to leave, and even ordered them to do so. Arabs in Israel, even if you consider then as second class citizens here, are being treated much more well in Israel, than in other arabs states, which still hold them in Refugee camps. Some kind of "Arab brotherhood". The Palastinians are the only people world wide from after WW2, who are still considered refugees in Arab countries, and didn't combine with the local society.

You want to tell me its because of their nationalistic pride and them wanting to live in their own country? I spit on that reason. The arab leaders do NOT LET THEM AT ALL, to live like regular citizens. They use them as a political tool.

Let's leave that aside.

Because you'll probably say, "Hey look, Notspecified, ironically turns the debate from the Israeli war crime of Cluster bombs, and blaiming me for things not in thread at all". That would be false, since this is what you wanted to happen, this is why you provoked me in your 1st reply in this thread.

You want to hear my opinion about why Israel put cluster bombs? First, it was spreaded in Southern lebanon, where Israel knew that right after the war, the Hizballah will get in there as soon as possible, and clean what they want to clean, and get things the way they see it, so its a measure to keep them away for a while.

3 last days of War? What if we did in on day 1 and all the month after it? MANY MORE PEOPLE WOULD HAVE DIED JUST FROM THE DIRECT HIT. Its end of war, Southern lebanon citizens are still in the north, or at shelters, or at their homes, or at a storage for Hizballah rockets.

Also, as someone mentioned, this is also a measure to keep them from doing this again. To put some terror in thier minds. Ofcourse hizballah did that, throughout the 34 days, they sent the same Katyushas which once they explode they spread alot of bullets or other deadly things, which even penetrate metal, and if there would be a person 10 meters away from it, every 2 CM on average, he would have a bullet or something stuck in him, leaving him dead, obviously. I've seen pictures of it, where signs on the road, are comletely full of it, and things 500 meters away being hit by those things.
Very similiar to Cluster bombs, almost the same purpose eventually. To kill as many as possible.

Also, you blame Israel for being a Terror state like Yugoslavia at the time, and support the same action that was done on Yugoslavia, to be done on Israel.
Did you know that the same action that was used on Yugoslavia, also used Cluster Bombs? And much more than we did.

Quote:

The United Nations Mine Action Coordination Center in Tyre, Lebanon, raised an alarm over the post-conflict impact on returning civilians of unexploded cluster munitions used by Israel during its 2006 conflict with Hezbollah, which was mostly fought in village areas . The US State Department has launched an inquiry into Israeli use of US-made cluster bombs during the conflict . Up to 90% of the total number of cluster bombs have been dropped by Israel over Lebannon in the last 72 hours of the conflict. During this period, Israel was also under heavy fire from Hezbollah rockets. As many as 70% of the bomblets dropped may not have detonated as intended

Quote:

In Lebanon, several civilians have been killed by unexploded bomblets.
In post-war Kosovo unexploded cluster bomblets caused more civilian deaths than landmines

From Wikipedia.

This is what you forgot to mention -

Quote:

During this period, Israel was also under heavy fire from Hezbollah rockets. As many as 70% of the bomblets dropped may not have detonated as intended

But I guess I'm the one with the Bias. Or that I'm the one who will support Israel blindly. Because that's the best arguments you can pull out.

Quote:

Why would Israel drop all those cluster bombs in heavily civilian populated areas in the last day of the war?

If there are Civilians at homes in the last day of the war, in the area of Southern lebanon which was the main zone war, then they are retarded. But since I don't believe they are retarded, you just simply added the "Heaviliy civilian populated areas" and forgot to mention that they are deserted since they are a war zone.
But if they are truly retarded...

Clear your mind.
posted 09-02-06 11:11 AM EDT (US)     15 / 33  

Quote:

Don't worry, belgian forces are coming to de-mine the grounds.

XDDDD That was the only worthy thing reading in this thread, it has that certain Cynical tone that says it all about the conflict.

Onbekende came up with some other bright remarks like that in the "It has spread" thread.

Clear your mind.
posted 09-02-06 11:34 AM EDT (US)     16 / 33  

Quote:

Onbekende came up with some other bright remarks like that in the "It has spread" thread.

Thanks NS
I only co small posts with good constructive info, I hate reading long posts. So I stay out of the debate, but give some extra good info.

Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
posted 09-02-06 12:51 PM EDT (US)     17 / 33  
NotSpecified, if Hezbollah sent you a message telling you and your peolpe to evacuate Tel Aviv or die, would you do it? Just because Israel tells them to, doesn't mean they have to do it. The Arabs are proud enough to stay.

And Israel KNOWS THAT.

All that bullshit you just posted did not answer the main question: why did Israel use cluster bombs in heavily populated civilian areas- also assuming that it would take years to clean up those bombs and also assuming that civilians would want to RETURN TO THEIR CITIES?

What, do you think they would leave them forever?

posted 09-02-06 05:07 PM EDT (US)     18 / 33  
Don't make me hurt you what with with all these debate threads.

lol im a ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ for copying ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

[This message has been edited by Braveheart_LDS (edited 09-02-2006 @ 05:08 PM).]

posted 09-02-06 05:34 PM EDT (US)     19 / 33  

Quote:

U.N.: Israeli cluster bombs an 'outrage'

Yeah, because everyone listens to the UN. They hold so much weight in international politics!

I'm starting to lose my compassion. This saddens me.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
posted 09-02-06 05:41 PM EDT (US)     20 / 33  

Quote:

NotSpecified, if Hezbollah sent you a message telling you and your peolpe to evacuate Tel Aviv or die, would you do it?

i would LEAVE because any SANE person would.

Quote:

Just because Israel tells them to, doesn't mean they have to do it. The Arabs are proud enough to stay.

proud yes, foolish yes

Quote:

All that bullshit you just posted did not answer the main question: why did Israel use cluster bombs in heavily populated civilian areas- also assuming that it would take years to clean up those bombs and also assuming that civilians would want to RETURN TO THEIR CITIES?

because hizbollah is supported by the people of lebanon and is most likely going to go right back in when Israil leaves.

Jesus loves me this i know.
for Chuck Norris tells me so!
posted 09-02-06 06:40 PM EDT (US)     21 / 33  
omg, this forum needs to put a ban on any middle east conflict related topics...it is so over talked about, and quite frankly, the more i hear about this stuff, the less i care...

gaurdian, stop trying to provoke sympathy from people, havent you realised no one has a heart anymore? man has evolved and no longer contains emotion.

Its not over until I beat you sensless with my WTF stick.
The internet - where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.
V:Would you... dance with me?
Evey Hammond: Now? On the eve of your revolution?
V: A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having!
posted 09-02-06 08:52 PM EDT (US)     22 / 33  

Quote:

I'm starting to lose my compassion. This saddens me.

Oh well. It's not like you have any jokes involving the genocides in Sudan anyway.

sig
posted 09-03-06 01:55 AM EDT (US)     23 / 33  
Notspecified, you fail to mention that cluster bombs kill days, months and years AFTER the war, not during the war- so anyone who left the heavily populated areas obviously is going to want to come back...only to find a left-over Israeli terrorist weapon ready to kill him.
posted 09-03-06 06:22 AM EDT (US)     24 / 33  

Quote:

gaurdian, stop trying to provoke sympathy from people, havent you realised no one has a heart anymore?

Lol. We are so full of hearing about the Middle east crisis, and that's true. The Media are directing all world attention on the Middle east crisis, forgetting about the rest of the world. And that works the best only for Capitalists and Politicians. While we have much more humane problems in the rest of the worlds, and even in Europe and the US, countries who are wealthy and strong, but still have many problems in them that are needed to be taken care of. But politicans rather direct hate or sympathy towards Israel, instead of making schools better or what ever.

The only problem with the Middle east is it contains oil in it. Solution? Not to burn the oil like Saddam did, the solution is to find a new energy source. One that will not be limited, but can be used by all in a rathar cheap price.

If there would be no oil in Middle east, countries like Russia and China wouldn't finance terrorism.

But if there was a lot of Oil in places like Sudan... Or perhaps, Israelis killing sudanese people, you can be sure, that you would all hear about it, and get a new report every hour.

Clear your mind.
posted 09-03-06 06:40 AM EDT (US)     25 / 33  
So complain about the mines in Africa or the ordance and mines in Vietnam and Cambodia. They're all a lot worse than Lebanon.

< Jarrod Nelson>
Nelson looks good in his pics - Gaurdian_112
Wow, Nelson's awfully cute... - HP Lovesauce
Thanks for ruining something that I've waited over 6 years for. - Redneck93
It might be a bit of an odd moment to say so, but I still think Nelson's smile is awesome. - Hnossa
THIS SIGNATURE IS A TESTAMENT TO MY VANITY
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » The Saloon (Off Topic) » U.N.: Israeli cluster bombs an 'outrage'
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames