Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Parodies, Fads, and Raucous Sex: A Manifesto
posted 04-24-09 05:29 PM EDT (US)   
Fads, Parodies, and Raucous Sex
A Manifesto

Section I: Purposes of this manifesto
To dispel the myths that surround fad threads and parody threads.
To discredit people who think they're funny when they're not.
To disrobe Jax for self-evident purposes.

Section II: A glossary of essential terms.

Fad thread: A thread essentially copying a previous thread and retaining its original purpose. Fad threads tend to be severely lacking in the departments of creativity, funnayness, and general enjoyability.

Parody thread: A thread that mocks a previous thread, changing the original purpose. Making a parody thread is like walking a tightrope - mess up once and it instantly is not pretty. It is also like exotic sex positions - if you don't know what you're doing, it probably won't be fun for anyone involved, and there is the possibility of tearing.

Bandwagon:

Trender Train: See Bandwagon

Wheelbarrow of Cool: See Bandwagon

Section III: On the Fad Thread
The term 'fad thread' has come to grow beyond its true definition here in the Saloon. Parody threads are often referred to as fad threads despite being very different entities. Let's take a look at the great Saloon Thread Fad of 2006.

Shrink a.k.a. MudokonGod posted a thread on July 23rd, 2006 that would go down in infamy. Titled Post in this thread and I will bluntly say what I think of you, it was an honest enough concept, that could have definitely made for one good enough thread. Even though it was taken from OD, it was a new concept to the young Saloon.

However, soon after, none other than Doikie decided he wanted to make a similar thread. Still, it was an honest move, and at this point still nobody could predict the catastrophe that would follow In Which I Opinionise.

But then two days later, Gaurdian jumped aboard the Trender Train. Also titled In Which I Opinionise, this was the beginning of the storm.

Soon, the thread was flooded with stupid Opinionisation threads. Even though everyone hated them, they still kept being made. Finally, after weeks of chaos, the fad calmed down, and everyone was a little worse off for it.

Section IV: On the Parody Thread
Now we come to the meat of this manifesto. What truly separates a Parody Thread from a Fad Thread is that they are creative and funny. Here are some examples of good parody threads:
Original Thread: Transexuality
Parody Thread: Trainsexuality

Original Thread: I've heard of cowardness before, but this is rediculous...
Plethora of Parody Threads, some good, some not: Cowardness parodies

Original Thread: U.N.: Israeli cluster bombs an 'outrage'
Parody Thread: U.N.: Gaurdian's cluster threads an 'outrage'

And here are some not so great parody threads.

Original Thread: I want to have a child and name him or her Petal Blossom Rainbow
Bad Parody Thread: I want to have a child and name him or her Cheesepea Teacup II
The lesson here: Never try to parody Shrink. The final result will never come out as funny as the original thread.

Original Thread: Goodbye, HG...
Bad Parody Thread: Hello Goodbye, HG...
The lesson here: Parody threads are not made by the title alone. The post itself needs some funnays.

Original Thread: FD2's 40 Greatest Rock Bands of All Time
Bad Parody Thread: GFGJ's Top 40 Favorite Brands
Before pressing the Add New Topic button, take a step back to think if your parody thread is actually humorous. Criticize yourself. Trust me, everyone else will too.

Section V: Conclusion
Don't be a dick.

Replies:
posted 04-24-09 05:35 PM EDT (US)     1 / 13  
sticky please

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

[This message has been edited by Meteora (edited 04-24-2009 @ 05:35 PM).]

posted 04-24-09 05:58 PM EDT (US)     2 / 13  
Core group stamp of approval

posted 04-24-09 06:21 PM EDT (US)     3 / 13  
Our skin may be white, black, red, brown, or purple, but we are all Asians when we are expressing our emotions online.
cowardness ftw.
posted 04-24-09 06:35 PM EDT (US)     4 / 13  
I am disrobed.
Manifesto complete!
But then two days later, Gaurdian jumped aboard the Trender Train
Gaurdian was the worst ****ing trender.

house won this
posted 04-24-09 07:39 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13  

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

[This message has been edited by Meteora (edited 04-24-2009 @ 07:41 PM).]

posted 04-24-09 08:36 PM EDT (US)     6 / 13  
I am proud to say I have never made a fad or parody thread.

Ex-Seraph Cheesewiz - Former WICH Webmaster, AOE3H Webmaster, & RTWH Staff, HeavenGames LLC
World_in_Conflict_Heaven || Age_of_Empires_III_Heaven || Support_HeavenGames || The_Playpen || Do_The_Right_Thing
posted 04-24-09 10:35 PM EDT (US)     7 / 13  
That should be rectified posthaste!

This month I have mostly been playing Zelda Breath of the Wild
Steam - Maffia GFWL - Maffia01 YouTube - HGMaffia Twitter - @HGMaffia
Age of Empires 3 Heaven Seraph

What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.
[This message hasn't been edited by fred_ernie (or Maffia) (not edited 12-29-2005 @ 09:57 AM).]
posted 04-25-09 00:46 AM EDT (US)     8 / 13  
I'd get to banhammer him if he did that though. He'd lose his purdy orange colours.

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
posted 04-25-09 02:19 AM EDT (US)     9 / 13  
how long did it take you to make this ? :O

QUACK
posted 04-25-09 02:33 AM EDT (US)     10 / 13  
Four seconds.

posted 04-25-09 11:47 AM EDT (US)     11 / 13  
i can't remember if i've made either but i will say i was unaware that they were two different things mostly because they both kind of annoy me.

Where be your gibes now? your gambols? your songs?
Your flashes of merriment, that were wont to set the table on a roar?
Not one now, to mock your own grinning?
posted 04-25-09 12:09 PM EDT (US)     12 / 13  
Lovely treatise.

Old Bachus, Napoleon of Spam turned half decent forumer
>>Winner of Most Improved AoMH Forumer '09<<
~If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it isn't in Danish, thank King Alfred.~
>>My work<<

"Once you've stooped to Cash4Gold type stuff, you no longer are a celebrity." - Mozzy
posted 04-25-09 06:42 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13  
I never get tired of that bandwagon emote. HURRDURR HERE I COME HAY GUYZ DONT LEVE WITHOUT ME

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » The Saloon (Off Topic) » Parodies, Fads, and Raucous Sex: A Manifesto
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames