Cost: 50 Food

Female Citizen
Cost: 45 Food

Watch out for feministic organisations.

Reinfire
--Retired Scenario Designer--
Everybody needs to beleive in something. I beleive I will have another beer
posted 03-21-05 12:29 PM EDT (US)     2 / 236  
Looks like you put a lot of thought into this, but to date - all the Age games have involved multiple cultures, so I don't think they'll be covering this era

I like the idea of the multiple-roled citizen!

"Its never the things that happen to us that upset us, its our view of them." -Epictetus
Dual GeForce 256MB 6800 GT over SLI PCI Express x8...aaaaw yeah.
My ESO2 Stats | Screenshot Archive
posted 03-21-05 01:38 PM EDT (US)     3 / 236  
WOW! Being greek and knowing greek history I liked this idea very much when I read about it. I find it very interesting.
Also, you got some very nice ideas. The options you are given every time you advance age are very cool. First you choose tribe, then god, then government, then alliance. Really cool.
One campaign would most obviously be the Pelloponnesian war.
I wonder if there was some way to add the wars against the persians in a game that concentrates on greek tribes.
posted 03-21-05 02:16 PM EDT (US)     4 / 236  
am greek too.
THat would be great. Eh.. i 'd rather say too good to be true.
posted 03-21-05 03:36 PM EDT (US)     5 / 236  

Quoted from Mythos_Ruler:

A player will not be playing the game as Sparta, Athens, Thebes, or whatever ancient city, but rather the player would be starting his own city from the ground up after the fall of Mycenae (the start of the Greek Dark Age). From there, he/she would make decisions upon age advancement about the direction his/her city would follow.

Think you just killed the most dominent Greek characteristic, the ever feuding states, after that you really have to be a greek enthusiast, for only having greeks to choose from, most gamers would fall here i am afraid.

The city building aspect of the game is also enhanced, along with new methods of resource gathering. Warfare, Diplomatic, Technological, and Economic domination are all viable forms of victory. The emphasis is on introducing new and interesting features of gameplay, while still holding true to the "Age" style of play.

Interesting, i have always liked another way of victory than brutal warfare.
Neutral players should also have a time in games, i have a pal who just likes to sit and do economy and NO fighting *gasp*

Most units start life in the game as a "citizen." All "civs" play roughly as the Norse in "Age of Mythology" with all male citizens having the ability to fight, build, and gather. Female Citizens act like the Norse's "villager" units and may not fight or build. Male Citizens are also required for research. Male units initially don a civilian uniform, until called upon to fight by tasking them onto an enemy unit, upon which time they don the appearance and abilities of a standard militia spearman. Male Citizens can be trained at any time to be any type of army unit in the game by clicking the corresponding button in the GUI and will remain that type of unit until they die. It is this upgrade or training that costs extra resources. The Male unit, upon being commanded to a resource, building, or research task will then redon their civilian clothing and become as vulnerable as a standard "villager" unit unless manually tasked to attack their pursuer.

Sounds like too much tideous multitasking for a boring feature.

Female Units can perform resource gathering tasks, and do so better than Male units (for gameplay balance). Females have meager stats, but are an integral component of the resource system.

Tooooo outlandish for AoE series.

No longer are multiple workings of a city confined to a single "town center" type building. Rather, the functions of a town center are more accurately given to other buildings. For example...

"Villager Creation" - Male and Female Citizen units are created at houses.

- makes me able to super boom
- make insanely early and strong rushes
- would be too powerful IMO
- destroyes the purpose of making new TC

No longer are technologies "researched" by forfeiting generic "resources." Players will task units to 3 unique buildings (Armory, Mill, and Market) where they will "research" new technologies. Research will upgrade your units, abilities, and/or buildings at a rate dictated by your dedication to research.

Too Noobifyed, no wise choses by automatic upgrades. There wouldn't be anything exciting about watching Tennish if there was no choises but stand still and just smash the ball back and forth in the same direction.
- will only leave the guy who can spam most unist out an initial edge
- else he who micro the best

Some buildings give bonuses simply for their existance...

NO WAY! Traing upgrades (techs) would be far better than some lame building emitting invisible beams.

Multiple levels of diplomacy gain the player different advantages and disadvantages. Diplomatic abilities are granted based on the research level attained, with each new ability granting new options on how to deal with other players in the game.

Nice idea

Siege must be manned by infantry soldiers. When the units manning the siege engine are killed, then the unit becomes capturable by any player. Siege is slow and expensive, but with strong HPs.

Nice idea, i would even go further and make units more exhausted by moving around with siege, avoiding too much siege battles.
- long setup time
- if moved, takes longer for reloading, since ammo must be placed etc

Each map will have some kind of "rare" resource that can be gathered (like stone or wood). These resources aren't used to build or train anything, but rather the player can then trade the resource at a market stall for another more "essential" resource (food, wood, stone, or gold coin Drachma).

No thanks, 4 resouces would be enough. Too much RoN

-Trains the Assassin who can "spy" on enemy players

Sounds like another Tarkan/Hetroi

Strategoi each have an "aura" that affects other units around them.

Please let us have some more choises.
- different bonuses to select from would be nice

Age advancement is no longer determined by how much resources the player can spend, but by the level of technology the player has attained. When the player has reached the required number of upgrade levels through research, the player is alerted to their ability to research the next age (and subsequent available units and buildings).

- kills the fun of booming
- kills the strategic aspects of booming
- no Sling Shot

posted 03-21-05 07:10 PM EDT (US)     6 / 236  

Quote:

Think you just killed the most dominent Greek characteristic, the ever feuding states, after that you really have to be a greek enthusiast, for only having greeks to choose from, most gamers would fall here i am afraid.

There's no reason why the player still couldn't pretend to be one of those cities. Besides, in AOE3 players won't be building British nation from the ground up, people will be playing as a British colony. Similar thing here. You are an upstart Greek state that must chart its own course through history.

Quote:

Sounds like too much tideous multitasking for a boring feature.

There isn't as much micro as you think. Much of what you quoted is "automatic." For instance, going from Citizen to Spearman when attacking an enemy is automatic. Going from Soldier to Citizen for building or gathering and then back to soldier for fighting is largely automatic as well. The only micro there is when you train your citizen to be a specific soldier. However, micro for this is minimized by the ability to highlight multiple units at once(just like highlighting multiple barracks in AOM) and then training them en masse.

Quote:

Tooooo outlandish for AoE series.

Differentiating Female Citizens from Male Citizens is as outlandish as the Norse civ in AOM. Same basic feature there, except the Female Citizen represents the Norse Villagers in this respect.

Quote:

- makes me able to super boom
- make insanely early and strong rushes
- would be too powerful IMO
- destroyes the purpose of making new TC

1. You assume citizen train time isn't altered to balance this.
2. You assume citizen train time isn't altered to balance this.
3. You assume citizen train time isn't altered to balance this.
4. Exactly, because there are no "Town Centers"

Also, Reread this section regarding settlements:

3. Settlements
All a player's buildings (except Fortresses, Resource Depots, and Scout Towers) must be built within a radius of a "settlement." This settlement will be called the Fountain House. A Fountain House can only be built over a Spring or Well. Springs and Wells can be found at strategic points on the map, much like settlements in "Age of Mythology." What makes them unique is the afore mentioned building radius. In essence, this creates other "cities" within the player's empire.

Quote:

(regarding new research paradigm) Too Noobifyed, no wise choses by automatic upgrades. There wouldn't be anything exciting about watching Tennish if there was no choises but stand still and just smash the ball back and forth in the same direction.
- will only leave the guy who can spam most unist out an initial edge
- else he who micro the best

It's not n00bified. It's actually more intensive than simply clicking off a never ending list of tech buttons. In essence, since it takes citizen time to "gather" technology, researching technologies this way becomes another "resource." Knowledge and technology becomes a resource.

- will only leave the guy who can spam most unist out an initial edge - Hardly a problem, since this is the same issue with all other Age games. However, I disagree in the sense that even if a player has a lot of citizen units, he must choose to use them for research, use them for gathering, use them for fighting, use them for building, whatever. If a player wants to use all his citizens on research, more power to him. However, he'll get mowed over by the enemy who is using all his citizens for soldiers.

Quote:

NO WAY! Traing upgrades (techs) would be far better than some lame building emitting invisible beams.

How is clicking a tech icon any better than building a building that you can SEE and will have to defend (conversely, something of your enemy's you be able to raid/attack)?

Quote:

Sounds like another Tarkan/Hetroi

The assasin is actually more like a spy unit from Command and conquer or spy unit from Rise of Nations:

Assassin
Cost: 100 Drachmae
Type: Clergy
Attack: Medium
Armor: Minimal
Trained from: Corinthian Temple
Age Available: Classical
Upgrades: None
Function(s): This is a Clergy unit that has the ability to spy on the enemy by taking the shape of one of the enemy's own Citizen units. The enemy can only tell if it is an enemy spy by manually clicking on it. Can also kill enemy units with stealth. This unit is similar to the "Spy" unit in "Command and Conquer: Red Alert" or "Rise of Nations."

Quote:

(Regarding Rare Resources)No thanks, 4 resouces would be enough. Too much RoN

The thing about rare resources my game is that the player doesn't NEED to mine whatever rare resource is available. It is simply another option by which the player can gain an economic edge. The 6 or 7 different resources in RON were all pretty much mandatory, and I agree, a bit too much.

Quote:

(regarding new Age Advancement paradigm)- kills the fun of booming
- kills the strategic aspects of booming
- no Sling Shot

I disagree. Players will still "boom" by gathering the "technology" resource by tasking citizens to research. Players might want to get to higher Ages just to be able to get more varied/powerful list of units and buildings. My reason for making the Age Advancement this way is to make it viable for a player in Classical to still defeat a player in Hellenistic. Players must choose to stay in Classical and just upgrade the units he has, or advance to Hellenistic Age and go for the more powerful, but way more expensive Hellenistic units.

Thanks for the comments Defiler. Any more? I'd like to hear.

posted 03-22-05 03:51 PM EDT (US)     7 / 236  
This looks sooooooooo good.
I don't have the time right now to read it all, but I think if you could somehow implement a HC thingy, this could become a wonderful AoE3 modpack!
Oh, and ofcourse added to the list.

Theris264
former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
"An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
posted 03-22-05 04:54 PM EDT (US)     8 / 236  
That's really cool Mythos.

~Ãû$tïñ Powrs~
INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY
Coolness:
Smartness:
Sexyness:
posted 03-22-05 06:31 PM EDT (US)     9 / 236  
Theris, thanks. I posted this here so you could update the "Age of Aegean" link in your "new age games" thread.

You're right about the HC concept too. Perhaps THIS is where we can add specific ancient Greek cities, as HCs. Imagine clicking over to your HC and seeing the Athenian Acropolis in all its glory (like those great AOEIII screenshots of downtown London). However, I won't add a Home City element to the design of "AoA" until we know more about AOEIII's.

My list of HCs would be:

Athens
Argos
Corinth
Ephesus (Ionia)
Pella (Macedonia)
Sparta
Thebes

This would take care of Defiler's concern about the current AoA design:

Quote:

Think you just killed the most dominent Greek characteristic, the ever feuding states, after that you really have to be a greek enthusiast...

posted 03-23-05 08:17 AM EDT (US)     10 / 236  
OK, I read the whole thing, and I have a few (minor) comments:
  • Why should wonders also cost food?
  • When making a game about ancient Greece, you need to include the history of Greeks outside Greece (the colonies in Italy and Ionia, the march of Xenophon, Alexander's conquest). So why don't I see any other tribes/civs than Greek ones? You should at least include Persians, Phoenicians and Etruscans in a way similar to Ao3's natives.
  • The fountain house should be available only from classical age onward IMO (last comment should not be taken too much in account)

Theris264
    former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
  • posted 03-23-05 10:49 AM EDT (US)     11 / 236  
    Theris264, you know some people work just for food?
    posted 03-23-05 01:32 PM EDT (US)     12 / 236  
    EDIT: Added quite a bit of information on Formations.

@Theris: Took away the Food cost for Wonders. I agree, twas silly.

About Ionia and Magna Grecia (Italy), I agree those were important areas. However, Ionia is covered in the "Delian Alliance" listed as a chocie for Hellenistic Age.

However, allying with other "tribes" like in AOE3 would be cool. Minor civs would be nice. I already had some thoughts about them. I'd include all of these as "minor" civs that aren't playable, but take part in the game experience:

Carthaginians
    Lydians
    Egyptians
    Etruscans
    Celts
    Thracians
    Romans
    Persians

Some of these might be able to be "unlocked" by the player or something. I also had an idea about a GAMETYPE called "Barbarian Invasions" that could include these civs. More on that soon.

posted 03-23-05 04:35 PM EDT (US)     13 / 236  
    posted 03-23-05 08:59 PM EDT (US)     14 / 236  
    Wonders should cost food, since slaves would have food as their only payment!
    posted 03-24-05 10:22 PM EDT (US)     15 / 236  
    Wow, this is already it's own game. You just need someone to make it! I think it'd be great with the same engine and physics as in AoE III! If ES sees this, perhaps your game will become actual! Nice job, Mythos Ruler!
    posted 03-25-05 00:06 AM EDT (US)     16 / 236  
    Edit: Added some musings on VICTORY CONDITIONS...

Quote:

Wonder
    - Basically the same victory condition as all other "Age" games.
    - Upon completing the building of a Wonder, the player must defend the Wonder for X amount of time shown by a countdown timer.
    - When the timer reaches 0, the player and teammates are victorious.
    - If the Wonder is destroyed by the enemy, the timer is voided and the Wondermust be built again to achieve victory.

Diplomatic Relations
    - A new victory condition.
    - The first to reach the last level of Diplomatic research.
    - The first to tribute X resources to his Alliance members.
    - Victory is granted when both victory conditions are met.

Economic Domination
    - A new victory condition.
    - A player or team gathers 100% (could change due to testing) more resources than the enemy player or team after the 10 minute mark.
    - A player or team possesses 500% (could change due to testing) more resources than the enemy player or team after the 10 minute mark.

Conquest
    - Basically the same victory condition as all other "Age" games.
    - Kill all enemy units.
    - Destroy all enemy unit-producing buildings.

Any comments/ideas about the two new ones I came up with?

[This message has been edited by Mythos_Ruler (edited 03-25-2005 @ 00:37 AM).]

posted 03-25-05 10:42 AM EDT (US)     17 / 236  
    I seriously love this idea. I really do.

Perhaps a Victory condition could be based around allying with all NPC on the map?
    For example, if you're playing on a Sicily map, and you've allied with all of the Carthaginian city states (which take up the majority of the area), you're enemy Greek state may be forced in resignation (i.e, you win) because they don't have a chance.

posted 03-25-05 03:22 PM EDT (US)     18 / 236  
    Yeah, that would be better for diplomacy, as it's not all just about tributing resources. Maybe to win by diplomacy, you'd need to ally with at least three people... and with a good diplomatic system, get tribute from them to win.
    posted 03-25-05 07:38 PM EDT (US)     19 / 236  
    EDIT: Added a logo, info about Minor Civs in the "Game Features" section, and some cool random map ideas (right before the "Ages" section).

EDIT: Also edited the Minor Civs list at the end of the document and changed some items in the "Diplomatic Relations" Victory Condition.

[This message has been edited by Mythos_Ruler (edited 03-25-2005 @ 08:35 PM).]

posted 04-01-05 12:51 PM EDT (US)     20 / 236  
    Well Mythos_Ruler, I had another question:
    certainly, in ancient Greece not everyone living in a city was a citizen who had civilian rights: however, the citizen you describe, is actually for most part the upper class citizen with civilian rights.
    Did you not put in the other 'classes' of Greek society (like slaves) to make gameplay not too complex, or was there another reason?

Theris264
    posted 04-01-05 02:34 PM EDT (US)     21 / 236  
    Wow, you've got a lot of ideas, now you just need to get a good art designer to make a great RTS game!

Long live early music.
    posted 04-01-05 02:41 PM EDT (US)     22 / 236  

Quoted from GatoFedoronto:

Wow, you've got a lot of ideas, now you just need to get a good art designer to make a great RTS game!

Actually, Mythos_Ruler is a concept artist for wildfire games, and if AoA is not made into a game by them, then I'll bet some modding clan will make an AoA mod for Ao3.

Theris264

[This message has been edited by Theris264 (edited 04-01-2005 @ 02:43 PM).]

posted 04-01-05 04:30 PM EDT (US)     23 / 236  

Quoted from Theris:

Actually, Mythos_Ruler is a concept artist for wildfire games, and if AoA is not made into a game by them, then I'll bet some modding clan will make an AoA mod for Ao3.

Thanks for the WFG plug, Theris. An AoA mod for AOE3 would be very cool. I suppose the hardest part could be the Home City concept? Not enough info on the concept yet to make a determination.

Also, the research concept might be difficult to replicate with AOE3. I guess it all depends on how mod-friendly AOE3 is. The posts made by ES employees don't sound too promising. Personally, despite what they say, I don't think ES likes others messing with their games. There are ways to make games mod-friendly without sacrificing other areas of development, because all it takes is some planning in art management for the game. In a 100+ member team, like what is rumored for AOE3, there is plenty of manpower for such a thing. I had never heard ANYONE (read: us fans) demand light bloom and havoc ragdoll physics for an AOE game, however, we have been craving, and asking for, a mod-friendly AOE game since the beginning. I don't know which fanbase they listen to - maybe the Doom community.

Quote:

Well Mythos_Ruler, I had another question:
    certainly, in ancient Greece not everyone living in a city was a citizen who had civilian rights: however, the citizen you describe, is actually for most part the upper class citizen with civilian rights.
    Did you not put in the other 'classes' of Greek society (like slaves) to make gameplay not too complex, or was there another reason?

I originally had in mind to include a "caste" system for the civilian units. Each class would be used for different purposes...

Slave Class - Low Cost. Bonused vs. Mining, Lumbering
    Peasant Class - Low Cost. Trains: Peltast, Spearman. Bonused vs. Farming
    Merchant Class - Medium Cost. Trains: Hoplites, Toxotes, etc. Bonused vs. Research
    Aristocratic Class - High Cost, Trains: Cavalry. Has an "aura" that boosts production of the Slave Class unit.

Something like above. However, don't you think it a bit too micro heavy?

posted 04-01-05 04:46 PM EDT (US)     24 / 236  

Quote:

Mythos_Ruler is a concept artist for wildfire games

A damn good one at that, cheers buddy.

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
    WildFire Games - Artist, Lead Scenario Designer, Game Designer for 0 A.D.
    "But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
    ----Stuff I've Made----
    posted 04-01-05 05:28 PM EDT (US)     25 / 236  

Also, the research concept might be difficult to replicate with AOE3. I guess it all depends on how mod-friendly AOE3 is. The posts made by ES employees don't sound too promising. Personally, despite what they say, I don't think ES likes others messing with their games. There are ways to make games mod-friendly without sacrificing other areas of development, because all it takes is some planning in art management for the game. In a 100+ member team, like what is rumored for AOE3, there is plenty of manpower for such a thing. I had never heard ANYONE (read: us fans) demand light bloom and havoc ragdoll physics for an AOE game, however, we have been craving, and asking for, a mod-friendly AOE game since the beginning. I don't know which fanbase they listen to - maybe the Doom community.

I tell you whom they listen to: MicroSoft. For despite what ES claims, I certainly believe MS has alot to tell on the development of Ao3. M$ just wants to see one thing: money. For which creative talent would make the same game 4 times for a period of ten years? AoE was a revolution in the RTS genre, AoK was AoE in medieval times with some nice little new options, AoM was AoE with some GP's and MU's added, and Ao3 is gonna be AoK with Havok physics and cannons and muskets. But the core idea of the game (4 ages, build your civ from humble beginnings, triangle counter system, historical quite accurate, and so on) remains the same.
    I am afraid for ES' faith when Ao3 is finished: I don't think another Age of game would sell well, and I am afraid ES isn't experienced enough in other types of games. If ES keeps making the games M$ wants to make them (that is, AoE ripoffs and sequels), they will kill themselves.
    EDIT: I am rather sorry for the off-topicness, but I simply had to reply to wat Mythos_Ruler said about this.
    EDIT:

However, don't you think it a bit too micro heavy?

That's what I thought when I saw only one class of people represented. But you are right, the game design is already complex enough.

Theris264

[This message has been edited by Theris264 (edited 04-01-2005 @ 05:31 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10  Next Page »
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum » "Age of the Aegean" by Mythos_Ruler
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames