You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Age of Empires IV: Fall of Rome
posted 06-29-05 09:21 PM EDT (US)   
Remember the expansion for the original Age of Empires,Rise of Rome?

Ever play Rome Total War?

Then you also know how much of a favorite anything that has to do with the Roman Empire is.

So after the routine expansion pack for AOE III, I suggest a return to the Classical Age in a game to rival RTW.

Rise and Fall of Rome

Civilizations:

Romans
Samnites
Etruscans
Syracuse

Carthaginians
Macedonians
Greeks
Sarmatians/Illyrians

Germans/Alemans/Goths
Huns/Scythians
Iberians-Celts
Gaul

Parthians
Palestine/Jewish Zealots
Egyptians
Numidians

The Unique Units, Wonders and Building sets could be done using latest graphics.

Any Ideas?

"The Greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you,to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears,to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters"...Ghengis Khan

Replies:
posted 07-01-05 10:53 AM EDT (US)     1 / 24  
truthfully i really hope they go back to that age... imagine aoe with aoe3's graphics i just cant comprehead that greatness of that game

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • posted 07-02-05 08:38 AM EDT (US)     2 / 24  
    Agreed

ES could give Rome Total War much need competition.

There are so many gamers out there familiar with the Age of Empires system that I'm sure they could sell enough games to make a huge profit.

Let alone another expansion pack sales.

That's another topic.

"The Greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you,to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears,to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters"...Ghengis Khan

posted 07-02-05 12:17 PM EDT (US)     3 / 24  

Quote:

truthfully i really hope they go back to that age... imagine aoe with aoe3's graphics i just cant comprehead that greatness of that game

(¯`·.`.¸¸.°°.¸¸.`.·´¯)
    (°¸.·`«Slick G»`·.¸°)
    (¯`·.`.¸¸..¸¸.`.·´¯)
    posted 07-02-05 03:42 PM EDT (US)     4 / 24  
    I would love ES to go back to the Classical age with AOE3 style graphics. I've already started conceptualizing a sort of total conversion mod for AOE3 here.

If you like that time period, check this out.

posted 07-02-05 06:30 PM EDT (US)     5 / 24  
    This is a very good idea.

Sorry for my English, I'm from Argentina
    posted 07-02-05 08:17 PM EDT (US)     6 / 24  
    Some ideas for an AOE remake (Most of it is a repost, with some edits):

1.) Each civ should have unique art. All units and buildings should have unique art. Every civ should LOOK different. However, for balance, this doesn't mean every civ's units should have different stats and such. For instance, a spearman is a spearman is a spearman in stats, but the GREEK's could be more powerful (Hoplite) as one of the civ's bonuses; and the ROMAN swordsman (Hastatus) would stand out from the rest as one of THEIR bonuses.

2.) Give each civ 2 or 3 "unique super units" like how in AOK each civ got 1. Also, not all civs should get the "War Elephant." Mix and match the unit availability a bit like in AOK. For instance, the Romans wouldn't get the Cavalry Archer, but the Parthians definately would; the Greeks, Etruscans, and Chinese wouldn't get the War Elephant, but the Indians, Carthaginians, and Macedonians definately would.

3.) Naming of each unit should be to its civ specific name. No more "spearman" and "javelin thrower" names. The names should be "Hoplite" and "Peltast" for the Greek's and "Triarus" and "Principe" for the Romans, etc.

4.) 3D grafx engine like AOM/AOE3. Include all the cool visual things from AOE3, like ragdoll physics and shaders and dynamic lighting.

5.) Yes, include rally points and queues and all that. We want to keep the GOOD innovations that have cropped up since 1997.

6.) Stick to realistic unit interaction for balancing purposes, rather than applying arbitrary "bonuses." For instance, in AOK the reason cavalry countered skirmishers effectively was because skirms had a minimum range and ran away from cav - same with onagers. This was a much more realistic interaction and made sense.

7.) Add cool features like cavalry archers firing while moving. Infantry dodging and blocking sword blows, etc.

8.) Formations with bonuses.

9.) Focus some energy on naval warfare for once! Throw in AOK's merchant ships again. Make all ships garrisonable like the Norse Longboat from AOM. Allow some ships (Greeks, Carthaginians) the ability to RAM opponents. Boarding (Romans); etc.

10.) Include historical heroes, like the mythological heroes in AOM. They don't counter anything per se, but just have uber stats and special abilities. They should be expensive.
    Note: Mythological heroes may be substituted for "real" heroes if suitable historical heroes are sparse. This is determined by a civ-to-civ basis.

11.) Civ ideas:

Vanilla: "Age of Empires: Dawn of Civilization"
    - Etruscans
    - Mycenaeans
    - Egyptians
    - Phoenicians
    - Babylonians
    - Assyrians
    - Hebrews
    - Hittites
    - Minoans
    - Scythians

Chocolate: Expack1 "The Rise of Rome"
    - Romans
    - Hellenes (Greeks)
    - Macedonians
    - Syracusans
    - Persians
    - Carthaginians
    - Samnites
    - Iberians
    - Celts
    - Thracians

Rocky Road or Strawberry: Expack2 "Imperial Turmoil"
    - Mongols
    - Parthians
    - Chinese
    - Indians
    - Dacians
    - Huns
    - Palmyrans
    - Germanians
    - Byzantines

[This message has been edited by Mythos_Ruler (edited 07-02-2005 @ 08:19 PM).]

posted 07-02-05 08:32 PM EDT (US)     7 / 24  
    Whats with Vanilla Chocoalte and Rocky Road?

♥-0
    posted 07-02-05 08:40 PM EDT (US)     8 / 24  
    Slang for the different versions of the game. AOM:Vanilla, AOM:Chocolate, etc.
    posted 07-03-05 09:36 AM EDT (US)     9 / 24  
    Great discussion

I knew there were some Mod Packs being made and also the Wildfire 0AD will be out sometime.

There are more Roman Empire Fans out there.

Perhaps ES will take note!

I like the idea of more than one unique unit.This innovation was used in AOM I believe.Perhaps in order to do this it would require fewer civilizations.That may or may not present a problem.

I have this AOM, but Mythology does not intrigue me as much as Ancient Civilizations.I prefer Roman Total War to Battle for Middle Earth.Both have a huge fan following.

WE know that in Age of Empires II there were 18 civilizations including the expansion Conquerors.
    Using that format with 5 distinct building sets it is probably possible to expand to 20 (4 per set).The following presents a suggestion for building sets.Other cultures could be substituted if needed.

With the following Civ's a wide gambit of the Classical Age of Empires is represnted.

Classical Age Empires:

West Med:
    Romans
    Etruscans
    Samnites
    Carthaginians

East Med:
    Mycenaeans
    Minoans/Sea People
    Syracuse/Magna Grecia(Greeks/Hellenes)
    Macedonians

Fertile Crescent:
    Egyptians
    Babylonians
    Assyrians
    Phoenicians

Asians:
    Hittites/Trojans or Anatolia
    Persians/Medes
    Scythians/Parthians (steppe "Horse Nomad" culture)
    Mauryans/Bactria/Sogdiana (Indian culture)

Barbarians:
    Iberian(Spanish)
    Celts (Gauls/Belgae/Picts etc.)
    Thracians/Dacians/Sarmatians (aka Illyrians)
    Germanians (Franks/Goths/Alamans etc.)

Note:missing are the Cultures of the Far East.

posted 07-11-05 09:56 AM EDT (US)     10 / 24  
    Wanna Classical RTS game? You can look here

Quoted from aoe3 heaven:

Stainless Steel Studios, headed by Rick Goodman, the brother of the head of Ensemble Studios, is working on a new RTS game: Rise and Fall . It's only fitting that HeavenGames makes a fansite dedicated to the strategy game, so that's exactly what we've done! Rise and Fall Heaven will be seraphed by Adder; since he's already got plenty of experience administrating RTWH, I'm sure he'll do a superb job. Best of luck to the R&FH crew!

Quoted from raf heaven:

Q: Is Rise & Fall going to be like Rome: Total War?
    A: Nope, Rick Goodman himself says "This is much more like an Age of Empires than a Rome: Total War. Every unit you've seen may have been in a formation, but it's not a set piece in battle as is the case in Rome."

Quoted from raf heaven:

Q: What civilizations are playable in Rise & Fall?
    A: There are four playable civilizations, Persia, Rome, Greece, and Egypt

posted 07-11-05 01:20 PM EDT (US)     11 / 24  
    Although Rise&Fall looks very promising, their choices of civilizations leaves me a bit cold...
    posted 07-12-05 12:35 PM EDT (US)     12 / 24  
    sorry its not gonna happen as ES said they don't like skiping trough time so AoE 4 Fall of Rome would not be a possible idea.AoE 4 will be around ww1 and ww2 time

"only the dead have seen the end of war"
    Pluto
    posted 07-13-05 01:05 PM EDT (US)     13 / 24  
    When did ES say "they don't like skipping through time" when they did exactly that for AOM? Besides, who's to say they wouldn't change their minds?
    posted 07-13-05 02:59 PM EDT (US)     14 / 24  
    true but that wasn'nt a age of empires game and ES stays true to their word.

"only the dead have seen the end of war"
    Pluto
    posted 07-13-05 04:14 PM EDT (US)     15 / 24  
    The Unique unint for the Parthians should be the Cataphract.

����,��,�`����,�
    my sig sucks
    ����,��,�`����,�
    posted 08-29-05 08:19 AM EDT (US)     16 / 24  
    I think it would be awesome to play aoe again with those great graphics we see in the AOE3 screenshots...

Juste one historical note: "Macedonians" were actually Greeks back then (spoke greek, considered themselves as Greeks etc.), so i dont see why they should be a special civ. Futhermore, i dont see why they should "definitely have war elephants", as there were no elephants in macedonia (though Alexander fought against some of them in India)

posted 08-29-05 08:40 AM EDT (US)     17 / 24  
    Correct me if I'm wrong...
    But I think I read somewhere that after AOE3, ES wanted to go back and 'redo' some of the things they did... anyone else read that? ... anyone?

[This message has been edited by KiLMeRs EnD (edited 08-29-2005 @ 08:41 AM).]

posted 08-29-05 09:26 AM EDT (US)     18 / 24  

Quote:

Juste one historical note: "Macedonians" were actually Greeks back then (spoke greek, considered themselves as Greeks etc.), so i dont see why they should be a special civ. Futhermore, i dont see why they should "definitely have war elephants", as there were no elephants in macedonia (though Alexander fought against some of them in India)

Macedonians should be their own civ because of the number of units unique to them: Hetairoi (Philip's Companion Cavalry), Pezhetairoi (heaviliy armored foot companions - the guys with the 18 foot spears), and Hypaspists (light armored hoplites with 18 foot spears, who sometimes fought with a sword). I personally wouldn't give them War Elephants as a main-line unit, but maybe as a special and expensive "mercenary unit" or something. It's true Macedonia per se didn't use elephants, but Alexander's Macedonian successors in Asia used them extensively.

posted 08-29-05 01:51 PM EDT (US)     19 / 24  
    I would love for ES to go back and remake Age of Empires with the current graphics, employed physics, etc. I also would like the Hebrews added, since they were an important civilization in this time period, and we also know a lot about their history.
    Also I personally am really into ancient civs, primarily Middle Eastern, but Greek as well. Because of this, I would rather have a heavier emphasis on this region as opposed to a combination of it and the Far East. I know they were early civs, but they didn't have much interaction with the western civs anyway.
    Lastly, though I would like this time period to be the next games focus, I just do not see that happening, since they have been progressing chronologically. Then again the WW/modern military epoch has been swamped with a lot of RTS games, so they might opt for a more original theme but ...
    posted 08-29-05 02:58 PM EDT (US)     20 / 24  
    My list of civs includes Hebrews in the Vanilla version of the game.
    posted 08-30-05 12:02 PM EDT (US)     21 / 24  
    Yea, i know it was included in yours. When I said added, I meant in addition to the civilizations in the original Age of Empires.
    posted 08-31-05 07:21 PM EDT (US)     22 / 24  
    AOE4, nah. I should be called AOE1"The Remake".

I definately would like to see the remake of AOE. I would like to see the improved campaigns.

If the game was called AOE4, then it would confuse people who don't know much about the game. Just call it a remake and that would make things easier and more reasonable.

posted 08-31-05 09:25 PM EDT (US)     23 / 24  
    I guess that makes sense
    posted 09-10-05 03:20 AM EDT (US)     24 / 24  

How come when I am just getting excited about AoE3, I get more excited about a game that will most likely never come out...

:/

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum » Age of Empires IV: Fall of Rome
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames