You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Age of Empires 4 (Game Idea.)
posted 08-26-05 08:08 PM EDT (US)   
Ok, so I want AOE4 to talk about all the revolutions in the world. I'd like some help with this design/idea thing I am trying to do. It isn't going to be a real game design, so don't expect me to make something perfect.

I'll take ANY suggestions.
And I'd appreciate them a lot.

A.Home Countries:

1.Portugal- Brazil.
2.England- United States, India.
3.Spain- Argentina, Great Colombia, Peru, Mexico.
4.Ottoman Empire- Greece.

-----------------------------------------------------------

B.Countries that don't give "offsprings":

1.France
2.Russia
3.Austria-Hungary
5.Italy
6.Germany

C.How is the "offspring" thing going to work:

I am using Billman's idea for some sort of button that changes your technology tree to the "offsprings" technology tree. You don't have to change if you don't want to. If you do, your Home City and tech tree will change. The tech tree won't change much, but it will change. This offspring thing also gives a lot of strategy. Each civ. is going to eventually be completely different. They are going to have different advantages and upgrades. So, sometimes rebelling might not be a great idea. This somehow also gives an advantage to the one who waits. How? Well, if you wait a while and you have seen if your enemy has rebelled or not, you could decide if it is going to be more to your advantage to rebel or to not rebel. Of course, the one that is ahead has the advantage that they are ahead of you. Therefore, they are stronger, but strategy is going to be extremely necessary.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Other questions.

1. What about the Technologies?

The technologies you've learned, you'll keep. That's what's going to characterize your nation as being closely related to (Britain, Spain, etc.). Eventually you get your own technologies, and no, your units do not stay the same as they were when you where a mother country.

2. Home City, how can I improve it if the game branches out?

You'll only get points and things for your Home City with whatever civilization you win the game as, but you'll still get some points to your mother country. For example, if you start out as Spain, but end up as Peru, all the experience and points will go mostly to Lima, but you'll get a very minimum amout of things for Madrid(That's depending on how many things you did as you were playing as Spain). Still, the Mother Nations will never get as much pointage if you rebeled from them.

3. I still don't quite get it?

To clear your mind, the experience points are not much at the first ages. They get to a "normal" game status after the Revolutionary age.

Your shipments will change from lets say "London" to "Washington D.C.". Your people might also change their way of speaking a bit. The shipments will change, and you'll have to re-stable yourself, but that is going to be done during the Classical Age. So, there is really no problem.

D.Ages:

Colonization.- Era that sort of starts you at a preImperial Age. Here you make some advances, but not all.

Napoleonic.- Era that gives more advances, the US gets the chance to rebel. This gives the US a bit of a head start. The Units are still partially British, but they get some especial units and some technologies. This is the only chance the US gets to rebel.

Revolutionary.-This is where the rest of the Civs. get their chance to rebel, in part this is also a bit helpful since they have some upgrades the US doesn't get because they broke off from the British, the US does get some unique things. The countries also don't change much, but they get their famous revolutionary troops.

Imperial.- This is were the empires get most of the upgrades they'll need to fight themselves to the death. If a stalemate is reached, then the next age will break it off. This age is cheaper for the rebels, but they don't get as much upgrades as the Mother Nations will.
In this era, the mother countries have a stronger military, and their upgrades are almost over. The rebels are still going to get more techs and units that differ from that of their mother countries.

Classical.- Only available to the Rebel countries, this age gives you an era to make the rebel countries more competent to that of the mother countries. The mother countries don't get this Era, and thus, save more resources. This is a very important era for the Revolutionaries, though. It is also very cheap considering how much the Imperial Age would cost. So it is not very hard to get to Classical Age.

The one that gets a bit more of advantage would be the U.S., but each country is still going to differ, and maybe there is a country that can "counter" the U.S.'s tech tree. The downside would be that the cost of the classical age will be a bit more to the US.

Pre-WW1.-All the Countries are at their peak now, getting to this age is extremely hard and by now all of your Empires should be hyper powerful. This is not going to be WW1, therefore there will not be things such as airplanes and the other advanced machinery that appeared in WW1. There are going to be some more advances though.

Summary of Ages:

*Colonization: Only European Nations.
*Napoleonic: European Nations and US.
*Revolutionary: European and Rebel Nations
*Classical: Only Rebel Nations.
*Imperial: European and Rebel Nations.
*Pre-World War 1: European and Rebel Nations.

E.Home Cities.

Mother Countries:

Spain- Madrid.
Portugal- Lisbon.
England- London.
Ottoman Empire- Istanbul.

Indepence Countries:

United States of America- Washington D.C.
India- New Delhi.
Brazil- Rio De Janeiro
Argentina- Buenos Aires
Peru- Lima
Mexico- Mexico City
Great Colombia- Bogota
Greece- Athens

Non-Offspring Countries:

France- Paris
Russia- St.Petersburg.
Austria-Hungary- Vienna.
Germany- Berlin.
Italy- Rome.

You'll be able to get shipments from your homecities!!!

Well, I would like to Improve this topic, but first I need some opinions. Like I said above, I'll take any ideas. Tell me if you like the ages and if you have your own idea for an age tell me. Also, don't forget to tell me if you'd like to see a Civ. or if I have something you'd like for me to take out.

I HOPE YOU LIKED THIS.

[This message has been edited by Novoa20 (edited 02-18-2006 @ 02:20 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08-26-05 09:13 PM EDT (US)     1 / 18  
Great idea, But isn't good that the WW1 will have none melee unit, losing the age of empires feel.

Sorry for my English, I'm from Argentina
posted 08-27-05 09:54 AM EDT (US)     2 / 18  
OK. I'll think of something for WW1.
posted 08-31-05 09:34 PM EDT (US)     3 / 18  
I like the idea, but as far as civs go, what about the Prussians? I mean they kicked the French and Austrian butts in their respective wars, so it seems to me that they should be included as well. Prussia did however evolve into Germany, which was what they were called at the time of WW1, so I guess you could call it either.

Also, as far as the button goes, would your tech tree just change or would you simply lose the home city option?

posted 09-01-05 06:00 PM EDT (US)     4 / 18  
Howdy, I have a lot of ideas for countries and revolting colonies that could be included into this little discussion. First off, here are some colonies that rebelled against their masters and won (I am excluding failed rebellions, obviously):

For France, since there are no “offspring” nations yet listed, I would like to suggest the Haitians. Due to the Napoleonic Wars in Europe occupying France’s and Spain’s attention, many nations in the Americas decided to begin the fight for their freedom. Haiti was the first successful slave revolt in history and also established the first nation of predominantly African-descent in the Western Hemisphere. Though Haiti now is pretty much the poorest and least advanced nation in the Americas, it would be an interesting addition.

For the Ottoman Empire the Greeks would be an excellent choice. They fought a long and bloody war of independence from 1821-1835. The conflict and Ottoman atrocities attracted many proud Christians in Europe who desired to stick it to the Ottomans. Soon, European nations also entered the fray, such as Britain, Russia, and France.

The last revolution I’ll include is the Belgian Revolution. For some time the United Kingdom of the Netherlands (The Dutch) had control of the Belgians, but due to the harsh treatment of the Belgian Catholics by the reigning Dutch (who were Calvinists) among other problems, conflict became inevitable.

Also, will we include non-secessionist revolts, because there were quite a few interesting civil wars that ES could play “What-If” with? Some examples are the numerous rebellions in China (Boxer, Taiping, etc.), the Communist Revolution in Russia, and the Boer Wars in South Africa. Well, that is all I can think up without going to my handy, dandy encyclopedia. I may suggest some starting nations/home countries later if I have the time.

posted 09-02-05 03:58 PM EDT (US)     5 / 18  
I'm not saying it shud be AOE4, but there has to be a remake to AGE OF EMPIRES II THE CONQUERORS with new graphics and technology. remember guys this is the game which has most number of multiplayer gamers.
posted 09-02-05 06:39 PM EDT (US)     6 / 18  

Quoted from Herlalis:

Also, as far as the button goes, would your tech tree just change or would you simply lose the home city option?

What I was thinking is that your home city and tech tree would change. I will add this on the topic itself.

Krantaki. Great Ideas.

France and Haiti, nah. Good idea for the French, but Haiti just isn't a country that did anything important back then or now.

Ottomans and Greeks, GREAT. I hadn't thought of that. This could be the honorary return of the Greeks.

The Belgians and the Dutch, don't know. If someone wants them, then give me more info. on this.

posted 09-09-05 06:23 PM EDT (US)     7 / 18  
For Russia the Baltic States could be offspring... If it takes place at 1700 - 1900
posted 09-09-05 06:26 PM EDT (US)     8 / 18  
The Baltic States, good. Didn't think about that.

I can't just put a civ. that is named Baltic States, give me some names. In other words, just give me the country out of these baltic states that you would like to see.

posted 09-09-05 10:03 PM EDT (US)     9 / 18  
OK, here. I got the Baltic States:

-Estonia
-Latvia
-Lithuania

Let's see a poll on which one seems the most appropiate for Russia, if you don't like any of them or you see no reason for them to be the Russian "offsprings", I'd appreciate it very much if you told me.

posted 09-12-05 08:33 AM EDT (US)     10 / 18  
it should be called prussia,
its a nice idea,
no planes is thx!!!!!!!!
WMD? weapons of mass destruction? mustard gas?
posted 09-14-05 04:20 AM EDT (US)     11 / 18  
yeah they should move it up to WW1 and WW2 era

it would be the best RTS ever!!!

and i think it will be the next game in the age of empires series

it would be good to have flying units like spit fires and bombers

posted 09-18-05 12:00 PM EDT (US)     12 / 18  
If they added airplanes and all the other machinery of that period, then there would be very little hope of the "old" armies to surive. This would take out the "Age" feeling out of Age of Empires.
posted 09-21-05 01:39 PM EDT (US)     13 / 18  
It would be good if they make my country in the game (Brazil), but I think (if they're gonna make it), they should use more ww1, ww2 and cold war in the game...
posted 09-21-05 05:58 PM EDT (US)     14 / 18  
Why?
posted 09-23-05 10:27 PM EDT (US)     15 / 18  
I have added a classical age to the game, tell me your opinions on this.
posted 09-24-05 00:32 AM EDT (US)     16 / 18  
I just thought of something and I'll keep this brief. Wouldn't it be a bit anachronistic to have India be an independant country in a game that ends its timeline just before WWI? India's quest for independance began, as far as I can remember, in the 1920's, and only achieved independance in 1947, 20 some years after the timeline ends. It's not really a big problem and if we go the way of adding any important colony (or my idea of internal revolutions..), I'll have plenty of new ideas, just wanted to point this out. I'll open up my cranium and empty out some other ideas in a little while, for now I'll sleep...

[This message has been edited by krantaki (edited 09-24-2005 @ 00:32 AM).]

posted 09-24-05 11:56 AM EDT (US)     17 / 18  
I am glad you pointed that out.

I did have my doubts when I added India, but I couldn't see any other nation that I could add to the English. Maybe Canada, but nobody has told me any good ideas of why Canada would be a good rev. civilization.

India seemed good(Altough historically incorrect for this timeline) becasue they had units such as the Elephants and some excellent fighters and leaders.

So, the point is that it seemed like a good second civ. for the English.

posted 09-28-05 07:07 PM EDT (US)     18 / 18  
Edited the topic!!!

It looks more organized now!!!

Tell me your opinions!!!!

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum » Age of Empires 4 (Game Idea.)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames