Please login or register

Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Japanese Civilization for the Age of Empires 3 Expansion Pack
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 01-08-06 09:20 PM EDT (US)   
If ES is going to make the expansion pack over world colonization, they are going to have to include Japan. A lot of people have argued Japan was in isolation during this time; Sakoku only took about half of Age of Empires 3 timeline, and even if it took up all of it, including a major power like the Ottomans, would make it possible to include a major Asian trading partner, the Japanese.

Table of Contents
-Civilization Overview
-Japanese Economy and Military
-Unique Units
-Unique Unit Stats
-Unique Technologies
-Unique Cards
- Civilization Weaknesses

Japanese Civilization Overview

Flag

Unique Units: Ashigaru, Karo, Yamabushi, Sohei, Ninja, Red Seal Ship
Royal Guard Units: Ashigaru, Karo
Home City Ruler: Toyotomi Hideyoshi- emperor that rose from peasant class to unify Japan and stop its centuries long feudal war
Civilization Bonus: Outposts are free and have more attack
-Has the most Unique Units in the game
-Has the strongest infantry unit, the Karo
-The Ninja is the fastest scout in the game, and has an instant kill ability

Japanese Economy

Japan's main tool of exploration isn't the explorer, but the Ninja, being faster and having a better LOS along with an instant kill ability available from the Colonial Age.

Japan has a slow start because their unique units are more expensive, but they make up for that by their outposts being free, giving them a good turtling strategy. Japan is also suitable for booming because if it gets its resources going high, its unique techs can make gathering them faster, giving you enough of an economy to train an powerful army.

Japanese Military

Normal Units- Crossbowman, Cavalry Archer, Grenadier, Falconet, Mortar, and Culverin

Japan never relied on so much as numbers like the Chinese, artillery like the Koreans, or even tactics like the Mongols, in battle. They relied on skill and experience. Japanese warriors are all highly trained professional soldiers that have seen many battles. Japanese units like the Karo and Yamabushi can devastate in melee combat, but are very vulnerable to artillery killing them, not making them too hard to beat like the Cuirassiers. The only gunpowder infantry the Japanese have is the Ashigaru, and it isn’t very good against cavalry, sacrificing attack for range, hitpoints, and a good damage vs. infantry.

Japan had received guns and artillery from Portugal merchants when they crashed into Japan during a storm. The weapons were quickly mass-produced in Japan, giving them an army equipped with the best swords in the world and already great marksmen.

The Japanese military is one that relies not on numbers, but on powerful troops and melee units getting in to attack while ranged units give cover fire.

Unique Units

Ashigaru: Light Infantry. The Ashigaru were the basic Japanese infantry that advanced in weapons as they came into contact with western powers. Ashigaru are available from the colonial age, but they use the yari, the Japanese spear that is long like a pike, until the fortress age, where they use muskets. Ashigaru have a longer range than musketeers, and more hitpoints, but they have a lower attack, which can only be made up in the Imperial Age by researching their royal guard upgrade. Ashigaru are good against other infantry, and stand a chance vs. cavalry unlike the skirmisher.

Karo: Heavy Infantry. The Karo was a top-ranking samurai in service of a noble in Japan. The Karo is the strongest infantry unit in the game, but unlike its cavalry counterpart, it does no additional damage like trample, and is vulnerable to artillery. In close combat Karo are mostly unmatched, and it is wise to take them down with long-range units like the skirmisher, because they can do massive amounts of damage to cavalry and infantry. Karo are in complete samurai armor and wield an Odachi, which is a Japanese equivalent of a greatsword.

Yamabushi: Heavy infantry. Japanese ascetics Buddhist monks that often participated in battles along samurai and Sohei. The Yamabushi uses a naginata, which is the Japanese glaive; it is like a halberd, but with a sword blade on the end of the shaft. Yamabushi can heal as good as priests and that is a critical part of when fighting in battle when you don’t want to risk your priests being killed. Yamabushi are good against cavalry and buildings. The best way to counter their power is to use anti-infantry artillery against them.

Sohei: Heavy cavalry. Japanese ranged cavalry that use katanas in close-range combat. Sohei were warriors proficient with almost every weapon and combat style, including the use of guns. From range the Sohei attack using an arquebus, which is a matchlock rifle used from the 15th to 16th centuries. The Sohei are good against artillery and heavy infantry, yet they fall to cavalry attacks easily, relying on Yamabushi, Cavalry Archers, or Karo to kill them.

Ninja: A very fast scout unit with a better LOS than the envoy that replaces the explorer. The ninja is best at raiding against settlers, because of their villager bonus, but that is only given in the Colonial Age. When attacking the ninja uses shuko, which are handclaws like katars, that were used to make it like a wild animal mauled the victim. Ninja are average in combat vs. infantry, but will fall easily to an attack of cavalry, so their battle prowess is limited. Ninja are normally used to scout and take down small batches of enemies with their assassination ability available from the Ninjutsu card. Ninja can't be trained, but are shipped every age you advance up. Ninja can be rescued if killed.

Discovery Age- 2
Colonial Age- 2
Fortress Age- 2
Industrial Age- 2
Imperial Age- 2

Red Seal Ship: A merchant ship armed with cannons, used in the 17th century. Red Seal ships have more attack than caravels, but are slower and less good at exploring. They can gather coin from whales, but cannot fish for food.
Unique Unit Status

Ashigaru
First Available: Colonial Age II
Cost: 90 food 15 gold
Population: 1
Hitpoints: 170
Speed: 5
Resists: 15% vs. range in melee mode, 20% vs. melee in volley mode
Range Attack: 16
Range Rate of Fire: 5
Range: 23
Range Bonus: x2 vs. all infantry
Melee Attack: 13
Melee Rate of Fire: 1.5
Melee Range: 0
Melee Bonus: none
Siege Attack: 20
Siege ROF: 3
Siege Range: 0
Siege Bonus: none

Karo
First Available: Fortress Age III
Cost: 150 food 120 gold
Population: 4
Hitpoints: 200
Speed: 4
Resists: 20% hand
Melee Attack: 30
Melee Rate of Fire: 2.5
Melee Bonus: x2 vs. hand infantry and cavalry
Siege Attack: 13
Siege ROF: 15

Yamabushi
First Available: Fortress Age III
Cost: 100 food 95 gold
Population: 3
Hitpoints: 180
Speed: 4.5
Resists: 15% hand
Melee Attack: 25
Melee Rate of Fire: 2
Melee Bonus: x2.5 vs. cavalry
Siege Attack: 55
Siege ROF: 3.5
Siege Bonus: x1.5 vs. buildings

Sohei
First Available: Industrial Age IV
Cost: 150 food 100 gold
Population: 2
Hitpoints: 270
Speed: 7
Resists: 20% vs. range
Range Attack: 20
Range Rate of Fire: 4
Range: 10
Range Bonus: x3 vs. heavy infantry
Melee Attack: 25
Melee Rate of Fire: 2.5
Melee Bonus: x.5 vs. light infantry
Siege Attack: 14
Siege ROF: 3

Ninja
First Available: Discovvery Age
Hitpoints: 325
Speed: 6
Resists: 15% hand
Melee Attack: 7
Melee Rate of Fire: 5
Melee Bonus: x2 vs. infantry x2 vs. settlers
Siege Attack: 0
Siege ROF: 0

Read Seal Ship
First Available: Colonial Age II
Cost: 400 wood 50 gold
Population: 10 limit
Hitpoints: 900
Speed: 6.5
Resists: 65% vs. ranged
Range Attack: 85
Range Rate of Fire: 3.5
Range: 23
Range Bonus: 1x caravels and fishing ships

Unique Technologies

Bushido- Karo, Ashigaru, and Yamabushi train faster (Age III, 200 gold 200 food)
Seclusion- All buildings are stronger (Age II, 500 gold 500 wood)
Farmer Han- A trickle of food is granted (Age V, 1200 gold 1200 wood)
Merchant Han- A trickle of coin is granted (Age IV, 1200 food 1200 wood)
Craftsman Han- A trickle of wood is granted (Age III, 1000 food, 1000 wood)

Teppo-tai: Royal guard upgrade for Ashigaru which gives them 30% more attack (Age IV, 1000 gold 1000 wood)

Kensei- Royal guard upgrade for the Karo, which gives them 25% more speed and 15% more attack (Age IV, 1000 gold, 1000 wood)

Unique Cards

Ninjutsu- Gives Ninja a special instant kill assasination ability. (Level 7)
Monastery Guild- Increases Yamabushi and Sohei attack and HP (Level 10)
Ozutsu Cannons- Increases Artillery attack (Level 5)
Seppuku- For every five Karo lost in battle one comes is shipped from the Home City (Level 15)
Daimyo’s Workers- Settlers gather faster (Level 5)
Shuinjo- Increases ships’ attack and ships 2 Red Seal Ships (Level 10)
Fudai System- Increases population by amount of your settlers (Level 25)
Great Watch of Oban- Ships ten Ronin and ten Karo (Level 25)
Imperial Palace- Ships a palace wagon, a palace is the Japanese equivalent of a factory and a capitol together, the Palace Wagon is only available through the card (Level 5)

Civilization Weaknesses

-Must rely on melee units, except the crossbowman, until Fortress Age
-Can only obtain Capitol and Factory improvements from Palace Wagon, but the Palace can fire at units like an outpost
-Japan doesn’t get any food crates in the beginning of the game
-The expensiveness of its unique units and their higher population costs

Well there you guys go, I hope I didn’t make this too much like Cy Marlayne’s Chinese Civilization, the layout is similar, but I tried to make it different. Also I will accept all feedback and try to change it based on that, but I won’t accept, “Japan is the worst idea for an expansion idea ever!” or things like that. Bottom line is I worked hard on this and I would like some positive feedback.

Cosmopolitan? Check.

[This message has been edited by Yamato Take (edited 02-20-2006 @ 07:56 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01-09-06 01:34 AM EDT (US)     1 / 47  
Great Idea. Its nice to see a civilization almost completely different enter the game, especially one that is on the other side of N. America. But did the Japanese really inherit gunpowder in this era? I mean, they would have disadvantages facing musketeers if they didn't have guns.
posted 01-09-06 02:22 AM EDT (US)     2 / 47  
They got gunpowder in the timeperiod of AoK

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )This is bunny. Copy bunny into your siginature to help him on his way to world domination!
_.+._
(^\/^\/^)
\@*@*@/
{_____}
posted 01-09-06 03:07 AM EDT (US)     3 / 47  
It seems to be.. Great.. But they cannot strike another civilisations, since.. They went to a isolement 1500/1850..

+ Ninja in Discovery WITH a Villager bonus?

Hmm.. Would be UBER..

@Cortez_419

The Portugese introduced Gunpower in Japan around 1420 AD

[This message has been edited by EmpofKilling (edited 01-09-2006 @ 03:11 AM).]

posted 01-09-06 04:28 AM EDT (US)     4 / 47  
I think you must mean 1520. In 1420 the Ports had only just sent out their first few expeditions down Africa's coast, getting as far as Morocco. It was only after rounding Africa that they reached Japan. By the 1520s however, they had made it to Japan and given them guns. I would consider 1520 the Discovery Age.
posted 01-09-06 04:41 AM EDT (US)     5 / 47  
Hmm.. Lol..

Will be 1490..

"Hideyoshi's Siege of Kyoto"

First usage of Copyed Portugese guns.. AoC Sen.

[This message has been edited by EmpofKilling (edited 01-09-2006 @ 04:42 AM).]

posted 01-09-06 06:32 AM EDT (US)     6 / 47  
Ninja seems a little OP... I mean, you start with two of them in Discovery, and they can insta-kill villagers? Maybe acceptable in later ages, but they'd need extraodinarily low hitpoints.

Other than that, great ideas, they'd be a really interesting civ to have in the game.

    
posted 01-09-06 10:53 AM EDT (US)     7 / 47  
Nice work.

I would suggest however, instead of having Ninjas to start with, to give steady shipments of two Ninjas in Colonial, three Veteran Ninjas in Fortress and four free Guard Ninjas in Industrial.

Cannot Buy Ninjas.
Free shipment of Ninjas every five minutes.
Free upgrades on age-up.
Instakill attack on a AgeII Card or something.

★★★★★
posted 01-09-06 10:56 AM EDT (US)     8 / 47  
Good idea, even though I don't like the idea of japanese civilizations in the expansion, this was well made.

Sweet baby maizes!
posted 01-09-06 08:05 PM EDT (US)     9 / 47  
Well, I think I need to clear up about the Ninja. They don't do an instant kill attack every time they hit a villager. Ninja are good against villagers which makes them a good raiding unit early in the game, and they have their instant kill ability like the explorer's crackshot attack, but I like Shala's idea, instead of having an army of ninjas you'll get shipments every age.

Cosmopolitan? Check.
posted 01-09-06 08:08 PM EDT (US)     10 / 47  

Quote:

It seems to be.. Great.. But they cannot strike another civilisations, since.. They went to a isolement 1500/1850..
+ Ninja in Discovery WITH a Villager bonus?

The Japs have no villager bonus? or whats do you mean? Any way Japan official isolated in 1641, so if AOE3's time range is anywhere between 16th century adn 18th century, the Japanese go about halfway, like I explained.

Cosmopolitan? Check.
posted 01-10-06 11:55 AM EDT (US)     11 / 47  
Hmm..

"The ninja is best at raiding against villagers, because they have a bonus against them,"

Even if they have not a bonus, 10 Attack is too much in Discovery age..

Add 3x Vil. Disadvantage..

posted 01-10-06 06:36 PM EDT (US)     12 / 47  
^Oh... I thought you meant an extra villager bonus.

I believe I've fixed the Ninja issue.

Cosmopolitan? Check.

[This message has been edited by Yamato Take (edited 01-10-2006 @ 06:38 PM).]

posted 01-11-06 05:32 AM EDT (US)     13 / 47  
mainly..

Give them only 5 Melee Attack + No Siege Attack will make them..

posted 01-11-06 07:45 PM EDT (US)     14 / 47  
I've compromised on the Ninja issue with attack, but they have no siege attack now.

Cosmopolitan? Check.
posted 01-13-06 04:43 PM EDT (US)     15 / 47  
I think that since Seppaku was a way to resore honor to a commander who lost in battle, it should give you an Exp bonus as opposed to having a shipment of Karo.

Maybe have the Monastary produce Warrior Monks? That would be cool too!

posted 01-13-06 07:58 PM EDT (US)     16 / 47  
The Yamabushi and Sohei are warrior Buddhist monks. Also Seppuku was the act of the most stereotyped image of the samurai. Seppuku is the ritual samurai suicide performed after complete humiliation and dishonor. "It is better to die after a dishonor then to continue living in disgrace"~ The Bushido.

Cosmopolitan? Check.
posted 01-25-06 07:39 PM EDT (US)     17 / 47  
*bump*

New mercenary units from Asia:

Hwacha- (Level 15 2000 Coin) Ships five Hwacha, which are Korean anti-infantry rocket artillery. Hwacha fire more projectiles at once than the Organ Gun and fires over a greater area.

Shin Ki Chon- (Level 15 1700 Coin) A Korean gunpowder artillery that launches arrows over a large distance. It has the most range of any artillery so far.

Waegu- (Level 10 1500 Coin) Japanese pirate ship that gets an amount of gold for every ship it sinks.

Kris Swordsman- A wielder of the Filipino "butterfly knife", they are escpecially good in close range combat.

I'll add more later and their stats.

Cosmopolitan? Check.

[This message has been edited by Yamato Take (edited 01-25-2006 @ 09:38 PM).]

posted 01-25-06 09:42 PM EDT (US)     18 / 47  
Hmm...

Very interesting, I really like the idea.

I guess Japan was sort of colonizing neighboring islands, I'm not sure though. If so, then they could have more of a chance to be added.

The only thing I don't like is the fact that the Ninja can't be rescued. I also don't like all the strength he has.

I'd like to either see him as a mercenary(or soldier) or just simply as a unique explorer, that doesn't die. Also, what could the HC be?

Other than that, it's great.

[This message has been edited by Novoa20 (edited 01-25-2006 @ 09:47 PM).]

posted 01-26-06 00:03 AM EDT (US)     19 / 47  

Quote:

Farmer Han- A trickle of food is granted (Age V, 1200 gold 1200 wood)
Merchant Han- A trickle of coin is granted (Age IV, 1200 food 1200 wood)
Craftsman Han- A trickle of wood is granted (Age III, 1000 food, 1000 wood)

This "trickle" would have to be pretty substantial to justify such high cost, especially in Age V, when those resources would be of better use training units to win the game (which at that stage would be almost over).

posted 01-26-06 06:42 PM EDT (US)     20 / 47  
Novoa: Well there have been a lot of balance issues with the Ninja, I personally don't see any prombles.

The other thing is Japan and China really colonized more than most people think. Several places like Taiwan, the Philippenes, vietnam, and other Asian places not as powerful as the two great empires. Japan's default HC would be Edo.

Mythos_Ruler: Yes, the trickles would be pretty substantial, higher than factories, or in the case of the Japps, Palaces.

Cosmopolitan? Check.

[This message has been edited by Yamato Take (edited 01-26-2006 @ 07:38 PM).]

posted 01-26-06 06:55 PM EDT (US)     21 / 47  
I was just saying. Because "trickle" indicates "small amount." Perhaps "flow" would be a better word or "steady stream of income" or something.
posted 01-27-06 08:08 PM EDT (US)     22 / 47  
Could the Japanese have a Samurai-Rifleman unit in the fortress age?
I imagined a Musketeer-like unit that uses a Katana in melee combat instead of fixing bayonets, and a musket/rifle in ranged combat, the same way the Jannisaries work for the Ottomans.
posted 01-27-06 09:54 PM EDT (US)     23 / 47  
I would love it if the Japanese made it into the xpac. I think they really ought to include the Italians in some way too. I know that they were several disparate states, but so were the 'Germans' yet they make it into the game, and the Italians had at least as much effect in discovering stuff as the Germans, easily.
posted 01-28-06 03:03 PM EDT (US)     24 / 47  

Quote:

I imagined a Musketeer-like unit that uses a Katana in melee combat instead of fixing bayonets, and a musket/rifle in ranged combat, the same way the Jannisaries work for the Ottomans.

Change the musket to a bow, then yes.

posted 01-29-06 10:35 AM EDT (US)     25 / 47  

Quote:

I considered that, but decided it was best to do that with Ashigaru.

Cosmopolitan? Check.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum » Japanese Civilization for the Age of Empires 3 Expansion Pack
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames