Please login or register

Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Hungarians in AoK:TC
posted 01-13-06 01:10 AM EDT (US)   
The Hungarians (Magyars) in AoK:TC

Introduction: Why do the Hungarians belong in AoK:TC?
I've always wanted the Hungarians (aka Magyars) in AoK:TC. Now this never happened largely because ES decided to include the Huns into the game. The game covers a period from 500 AD to 1500 AD. The Huns disappeared before the year 500 even rolled around. Who is to say that including the Hungarians instead of the Huns would've resulted in fewer sales? Maybe it would've resulted in more sales. Speculation in either case. Either way, using sales as an excuse for including the Huns and not Hungarians is lame.

The Hungarians came onto the European scene in 896 and are still around today. But as far as the AoK:TC timeline is concerned, the 500 to 1500 timeline is more than covered, at least as much as any other civ in the game. In fact the Hungarians were around in 500 AD as well, probably somewhere in Asia as nomadic cavalry archers.

The Hungarians had battles and wars with the local Slavs, the Bulgarians, the Byzantine Empire, the Italians, the Germans, the Austrians, the Turks and several Asiatic nomadic tribes. The Huns basically battled the Romans, Goths & Gauls, all 4 ancient civilizations, yet one of them managed to get into a game about the Middle Ages.

Would another expansion/patch be worth it to ES?
Most definitely. I did some research and it turns out that AoK:TC is the 3rd best selling PC game of all time and is in the top 10 of best selling video games ever. Currently it has sold around 10 million copies. Even today around 5000 people are on the zone at one time in peak hours. That's more than the newer game AoM and perhaps more than even AoEIII. So if all the people who have AoK:TC bought another expansion, there would be another 10 million sales. Heck, even 10% of that would still be 1 million sales, which is still respectable. Not to mention that production costs for such a game would be dirt cheap. The profit margin would be staggering.

But would such an expansion be viable after all this time?
It doesn't have to be an expansion. It could be a patch. Blizzard just released a recent patch for Diablo 2 with new monsters, stages and items a few months ago. And D2 is similarly old to AoK, but nowhere near as popular as AoK. IMO, ES missed the boat with AoK:TC. AoK:TC could've been ES' Starcraft. Speaking of Starcraft, blizzard still supports and patches that game as well, even though it's way older than AoK:TC.

What would a Hungarian civilization be like?
I'm glad you asked.
UU - Magyar Hussar - a stronger Hussar than even the Mongols' Hussar but weaker than a cavalier. The benefit would be that it's cheaper than a cavalier, but almost as effective. It would however cost a bit of gold.
HP - 130 w/ bloodlines
Attack - 9
Armour - same as standard cavaliers
cost: 70 food 20 gold
LOS & speed: equal to regular Hussars

UT - piety - hungarian units cannot be converted

Team bonus: market costs 15% cheaper

Civ bonuses: monks convert 50% faster, cav costs 15% less, start with 1 magyar hussar instead of scout cav but one less villie

The Hungarians would have bombard cannons but not hand cannoneers. They'd have halbs, but not paladins. They'd have regular Hussars of course and heavy cavalry archers.

Well anyway, a couple of things could be tweaked here and there but the jist of the civ is there. Hey if anyone would consider doing a mod exactly like I outlined based on the Huns (including modding the spoken language from Mongolian to Hungarian), I might even consider paying for it handsomely. But contact me through e-mail for such a thing. Serious offers only.

"'IwlIj jachjaj" (May your blood scream)
Replies:
posted 01-13-06 06:20 AM EDT (US)     1 / 2  
Every now and then people at the AoKH forums ask why this game is still alive. To them it's impossible to understand how a game almost seven years ago is played by tens of thousands around the world, how its community still refuses to lay down its weapons and get eaten by the archive monster. The answer is simple: AoK hit right in the bullseye. It still does. If ES's gonna return to their roots, they have two options:

1) Do a remake of AoK, adding 3D graphics, new civs and the like. Requires more work and money, but will have a higher raison d'être.

2) Do what Ghostic suggested. Simple as a glass of water, requires hardly no work at all but will still sell a good number of copies.

Quote:

AoK:TC could've been ES' Starcraft.

That is so true.
posted 01-22-06 11:07 AM EDT (US)     2 / 2  
I'll have to agree with you Ghosthic.

I do think that another X-pack for AoK would be great.

Sure, the game is already good with all the things it has, but it would be even better if they added new things.

Now, I really don't think they need to make the game 3D looking, for I like the way it looks already. I know 100% that if ES makes another X-pack, everybody who really liked the game is bound to buy it.

The X-pack itself should include tribes that were left-out and created a lot of sad faces. One such would be your Hungarians, and along with them other civilizations could be included. The Incas would also attract a lot of people.
Although, I've heard that they didn't add the Incas because they didn't know much about them and they just didn't want to mess with it. Well, let me just say that I would find it rather interesting and daring if ES made their version of the "Tawantinsuyo" in all of its' might, and I would definately buy it, just as millions of others would.

If I was the owner of ES I'd definately try out making another X-pack(And make it the last) that includes civs such as the ones mentioned above. After all, no money is going to be lost with all the people that are going to buy it.

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum » Hungarians in AoK:TC
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames